RegisterDonateLogin

The perfect complement to Wookiee Cookiees.

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Members

Last Call ... surf_rider56's Customs Options
jak
Posted: Tuesday, November 29, 2011 2:35:11 AM
Groups: Member

ThumbsUp WOW MORE AMAZING WORK!
do you make custom cards for others?
kobayashimaru
Posted: Tuesday, November 29, 2011 4:45:13 AM

Neat! More aliens for the posse, and some nice balanced figures I might chuck into RPG sessions next year...
Ive never seen that Neti Jedi before, wow. Is it like a tree jedi or something? cool find in any event BigGrin
surf_rider56
Posted: Tuesday, November 29, 2011 1:17:48 PM

kobayashimaru wrote:
Neat! More aliens for the posse, and some nice balanced figures I might chuck into RPG sessions next year...
Ive never seen that Neti Jedi before, wow. Is it like a tree jedi or something? cool find in any event BigGrin

The Neti were rare but there is a Neti Jedi; I believe she was friends with Tholme ...

@ Everyone Thanks for the comments guys, criticism & suggestions are always welcome, as well as praise.

@ Jak; Many of your mini’s I think have already had cards made by myself and others. Anything in particular you’d like?

The last of the new ones …

Anzati Hunter. I did an Anzati for the Seps, thought I’d take a different view/approach on this one.

Arconan Bounty Hunter. This is actually the Arconan that trained Clones on Kamino. I sorta piggy backed that and let him help other Troopers (except Sith and Imps.)

Duros Commando. Plenty of Duros, not a single soldier type among them.

Squib Slicer. A simple door guy for a dormouse type …..

Togorian Mercenary. A more militaristic Togarian.

Wookie Bounty Hunter … just because … liked the pic.

Weequay Soldier. Like the Duros, lots of mini’s, no soldiers.

Toydarian Commander. Something to make the Toydarians more fun.

Last card ... an Ortolan Jedi

surf_rider56
Posted: Friday, December 2, 2011 3:31:58 PM

Well, the crickets were getting loud and it made me think about the idea that I'm not sure what faction I want to target next. The Republic, Rebels and Imperials have been done to death, the Separatists and Old Republic have been added to pretty heavily lately and frankly the Sith, Mando's and Vong are such a tight niche I'm not sure where/how to add anything. I guess the New Republic is the best bet, although there are a few Fringe sub-groups I can stll boost a little.

Could always make and modify some new Jedi ... still working on a system where they're not all cookie cutter versions of the same force user. Anybody have any suggestions for non uniques?

Or is that a can of worms I heard opening in the distance??
kobayashimaru
Posted: Saturday, December 3, 2011 2:05:49 AM

@Surf,
Im thinking the fringe is where its at, and by altering it with some pieces maybe new gaps will emerge in the other 'main' factions. BigGrin
I like the direction you're taking with some of the species; maybe themed armies could be designed to?
So, like a 'spacers' sub faction (you're kinda hinting at it with the bounty hunters and the mechanic/pilots...)
Maybe a hired guns/security faction (bonuses to attack if they stay in the one spot...)
Maybe some rag-tag vehicles/independent fighters?
Turrets, improved (and 3D) doors, holograms and maybe terrain pieces are all ideas that come to mind for opportunities of innovation... though im not quite sure how.

Im also thinking that civilians might be interesting. "Bystander: works like bodyguard, except the controlling player chooses after a non-melee attack (with line of sight drawn through the bystander)."
Or "Crowd Panic: This turn, characters with crowd panic are considered impassable terrain"
"Hostage: this character moves with the hostage taker, and all light side characters within 12 gain Savage. If the hostage dies before being rescued, light side force users gain Impulsive Savage/Impulsive Fragile (half HP)..." <- this one comes up often in scenarios, the meta game would probably benefit from seeing it a little more often IMO.
Im also thinking that there needs to be some way to incorporate more vehicles into the action...

On the topic of jedi... I really dont mind if theyre cookie cutter or not. Most so far have core powers, but I get the design ideas you're going to. You want jedi to have access to a core set of abilities (as against reroll missed attack and move additional 2 squares). Its a great idea, and I dont think the lead heros should be re-adjusted. The main difference between the non-unique, species type jedi and movie character jedi is HP. That, and the lead jedi should have awesome CE's.
I think there should be a generic jedi general, with synergy for CTs. I think maybe a force monk or something, with a huge suite of powers but limited HP/movement.
Your species should have SAs which suit them and set them apart; Heres some points for discussion
wookie jedi: should probably have stable footing and momentum (seems all wookies have that).
Trandoshan: rend and Double claw attack, and possibly regenerate 10.
Togruta: crowd fighting, and possibly intimidate/preprogramed target.
Cerulean: would have Recon, Surprise Move, Intuition or possibly Bounty Hunter Hunter (they hunt bounty hunters)
Kel Dor: limited movement, fragile (half HP).
Zabrak: would have rage, probably rolling cleave. More Hps, less Atk.
Quarren: charging assault
Bith: Micro Vision
Shistaven: Double Claw Attack, speed 7/8 and more HP.

I think that other SAs/Force abilities should suit the title of the jedi. So "Quarren Jedi General" would probably have more SAs and a CE, but less force powers. There will be a slight cookie cutter effect; but this is due to the system. If people want to differentiate more between types of the same character/species then they might take a look at the RPG (which SWM was supposed to be a gateway game to).
Great work, and I like the Ortolan Jedi. I have a max rebo mini, so I could probably take a stab at this custom too...
kobayashimaru
Posted: Saturday, December 3, 2011 2:20:24 AM

Also, heres an image I found a while back that really inspired me

Above: Possible Paratus Junk Golem?...

I think this would be great; its entirely made out of 'found' garbage! I think it looks sorta like the junk golem out of Force Unleashed, and theres a green and red one too. BigGrin

EDIT: While the image golem was made from actual glass and cinderblock, a replica could be constructed from soft drink bottles, some cardstock/plasticard and tubing, and a lot of hot glue...
I also like that this mini (which would be gargantuan) could have LEDs mounted inside (to make it light up force style)...
surf_rider56
Posted: Saturday, December 3, 2011 12:22:08 PM

@ Koba I suspected that the Fringe was where I should head; hopefully I get other opinions but you've certainly given me lots to think about, some of them I've actually thought of (sub factions) myself.

@ Jak, as a favor for a favor, your mini & stat card ....

jak
Posted: Sunday, December 4, 2011 1:24:45 AM

Heart mad skills that never cease to amaze!ThumbsUp

MAY MASS TIMES ACCELERATION BE WITH YOUCool
surf_rider56
Posted: Monday, December 5, 2011 11:50:53 AM

jak wrote:
Heart mad skills that never cease to amaze!ThumbsUp

MAY MASS TIMES ACCELERATION BE WITH YOUCool

I'm getting too old to accelerate that much BigGrin

Seriously, I've got 35-40 cards in various stages; not sure what I want to toss out here, but I'm approaching 700 cards or so, not really sure what people want to see (although Koba wants me to pull the stops out on Jedi BlooMilk
surf_rider56
Posted: Friday, December 9, 2011 11:45:20 AM

Well, 5 days later, I'm done with about 43 new cards, some very off the wall, yet SWEU species. I was hoping for some suggestions on what people wanted to see; couple hundred views of the thread (Thanks BlooMilk ) but no hints si I guess I'll just toss out a dozen of what I think are the most interesting tomorrow after we do the family thing.
surf_rider56
Posted: Saturday, December 10, 2011 4:29:36 PM

Well, I’ve been busy doing the usual work/family thing but I’ve been surfing on my free time and found some interesting species from the EU and some ideas have been popping up. I’ve got over forty new ones (I may have to start cataloging this stuff just to keep track of it since I’ve got over 700 now; anybody got an easy way to list files without manually doing it one at a time?) Since I don’t want to spend all night doing forty cards, I’ll do ten at a time over the next couple days. Comments Good And Bad welcome.

Fringe

As usual, if the pic was interesting …. I tried to give them any species-specific traits if mentioned in Wook …

Aleena Commando

Defel Mercenary Scout (Interesting species.)

Ebranite Spacer (Had to look these guys up.)

Hardened Tuskan Raider ... elite or veteran didn’t sound right for these guys; hardened maybe?

Herglic Bodyguard. Heard of them, first decent pic I’ve seen.)

Sullustan Spacer. Koba gave me the idea of a new sub-faction, the Spacer; nice pic of a Sullustan that’s not a jedi or pilot type.

Twi’Lek Gladiator. Several stories talk about arenas and gladiatorial fights, saw the pic … why not …

Wookie Elite Commando. Good pic, wanted him to be an elite something ….

Separatist

Zygerrian Soldier. Interesting direction the show seems to be going in … we going where Ahsoka winds up out of the picture? … after all, we know she bites the dust somewhere before Ep. 3. Zygerrians seem like they could be good, evil fun.

Jedi Order

Theelin Jedi Master. Interesting pic; the first of 5-6 different species I’ll put up later this week.

kobayashimaru
Posted: Sunday, December 11, 2011 12:56:13 PM

Wow! Great ideas here, and lots of potential minis ideas!
Is that theelin jedi based on one of the chorus girls from Episode VI?
We need some abilities to boost spacers only, and to set them apart from Black Sun and Bounty Hunters.
Im thinking theyre a mobile, quick hitting force that are all glass cannons. They move in quick, take the target/cargo and run (much like all of Firefly). Maybe a swap CE on a commander, some tempo control, and something to do with victory points? Like, they can mine vp's early/quicker? Maybe there's also a piece that tunnels around, allowing people to move between the two tunnels? Im a big fan of some of the terrain deforming mods ive seen for the game (elsewhere on the interwebs; am yet to try it myself).

I dont see spacers having much in the way of reserves, or in high damage pieces. Maybe they use autoturrets or some fortifications/emplacements? (im thinking team fortress 2 style here)

I definitely enjoy the fringe prevalence that Im seeing, and I think the spacer faction is going somewhere awesome/useful.
Any chance of a pirate R2 unit (with weapons) or a R1-unitread droid? I think theyre the only astros Im missing. BigGrin

On a side note, wow. 700 statcards you say? Id probably make separate folders to store the factions in, and I'd use initials of the piece to store them. For example, Fringe Sullustan Spacer = fSS, etc. Theres a lot to organise though... BigGrin

Im looking forward to the rest. As yet, there are no pieces I feel are unbalanced or cause synergy problems. I'd probably offer my best criticism on new abilities you want to experiment with or on pieces that are slightly unbalanced (im thinking you'll play with costs more on the spacer faction haha). Is there any particular areas youd like constructive criticism in? Maybe some categories with a 1-10 spectrum? So; card art 1-10, piece balance 1-10, overall encapsulation of character/species 1-10, with an areas of improvement section for comments. This way, if you standardise your feedback, you can compare the different types of feedback and see more clearly the areas of improvement BigGrin you can also inform the feedback process.

Hope this helps, and happy holidays BigGrin
SquelchDog
Posted: Monday, December 12, 2011 2:31:01 AM

Excellent job on your latest cards surf rider! I really liked the Theelin Jedi Master. Very cool, not the usual Force Powers in that one. ThumpUp It's a bit of a challenge coming up with a new decent playable force user that isn't cookie cutter like you mentioned before. Once again nice job with her, very cool! Woot Can't wait to see the other 30 cards. Laugh
surf_rider56
Posted: Monday, December 12, 2011 3:03:16 AM

SquelchDog wrote:
Excellent job on your latest cards surf rider! I really liked the Theelin Jedi Master. Very cool, not the usual Force Powers in that one. ThumpUp It's a bit of a challenge coming up with a new decent playable force user that isn't cookie cutter like you mentioned before.

I've tried to come up with a simple way to (for me) formula to decide what Force abilities Jedi get.

Masters - 3-4 Force Powers + Lightsaber Defense (They should've "Mastered" that by the time they're Masters.)
Knights - 2-3 Force Powers + dice roll on Lightsaber Defense; odd yes, even no.
Padawan - 1-2 Force Powers + Lightsaber Block.

I dug out a dice rolling program from the net; I've listed Force Powers 1-20 and use a d20 dice roll times how many FP they get. This gives me random Force Powers; its as random and reasonably scientific as I want to get.

Been buy at work lately. The Theelin was a chance surf find ....... not sure when this week I'll do another batch ....
surf_rider56
Posted: Monday, December 12, 2011 5:12:19 AM

kobayashimaru wrote:

Any chance of a pirate R2 unit (with weapons) or a R1-unitread droid? I think theyre the only astros Im missing. BigGrin

On a side note, wow. 700 statcards you say? Id probably make separate folders to store the factions in, and I'd use initials of the piece to store them. For example, Fringe Sullustan Spacer = fSS, etc. Theres a lot to organise though... BigGrin

Im looking forward to the rest. As yet, there are no pieces I feel are unbalanced or cause synergy problems. I'd probably offer my best criticism on new abilities you want to experiment with or on pieces that are slightly unbalanced (im thinking you'll play with costs more on the spacer faction haha). Is there any particular areas youd like constructive criticism in? Maybe some categories with a 1-10 spectrum? So; card art 1-10, piece balance 1-10, overall encapsulation of character/species 1-10, with an areas of improvement section for comments. This way, if you standardise your feedback, you can compare the different types of feedback and see more clearly the areas of improvement BigGrin you can also inform the feedback process.

The Theelin was a chance surf encounter ... what I live on BlooMilk

A "Trojan Horse" Droid sounds good; not sure what unit I'll use. R1 droids were rather limited; not sure what you could do with one.

I was hoping for any "Easy" way out of organizing the cards; they're already divided up by factions in different folders. Anything else sounds like something I just don't have time for at my age BigGrin

I appreciate all feedback I get; I think its just the general "customizer lament" that lots of people look and few bother to comment. I don't mind people using the cards or ideas, just wish they'd say something. I've had like 50-100 views a day for the last few weeks and maybe four people comment ... guess I should just smile that Anybody thinks they're worth looking at ThumbsUp
SquelchDog
Posted: Monday, December 12, 2011 5:30:36 AM

Well I don't about other people but I check your page every time I sign in on Bloomilk surf rider. Always hoping to see something new from you. ThumpUp
surf_rider56
Posted: Monday, December 12, 2011 5:15:36 PM

SquelchDog wrote:
Well I don't about other people but I check your page every time I sign in on Bloomilk surf rider. Always hoping to see something new from you. ThumpUp

Appreciate the thoughts, Squelch BlooMilk

Ok … I was totally working on something else, minding my own business when these two popped into my head and I couldn’t help myself ..

I rarely peek at the V-Set stats or Wish Lists; I don’t want to be influenced or take anybody else’s ideas, at least consciously … but I noticed Porkins was in there and I bumped into this pic so I couldn’t help myself … with apologies to the V-Set crew ….

Jek Porkins, Rebel Hero

I found this pic yesterday and the idea again just popped into my head; She seems like she could be amusing to use; Tatooine Luke probably wanted to date her

Tatooine Moisture Farmer

Long day ahead ….
qvos
Posted: Monday, December 12, 2011 11:25:33 PM

Awesome job on your latest work! YES!!!! The Moisture farmerBlooMilk
markedman247
Posted: Tuesday, December 13, 2011 2:47:38 AM

Re: Neti Jedi was named T'raa Saa. She and Tholme were close friends.
surf_rider56
Posted: Tuesday, December 13, 2011 8:54:54 AM

qvos wrote:
Awesome job on your latest work! YES!!!! The Moisture farmerBlooMilk

Thank you; anybody have an opinion on the Tatooine Desert Savvy ability? Tried to come up with something denoting the smarts to avoid Jawa's Tusken's, and other desert dangers.

@ Markedman - I'm aware of T'raa (but thanks for paying attention for the others BlooMilk ) , but I'm trying to do generic Jedi in general, with the occasional, specific unique tossed in on occasion BigGrin