RegisterDonateLogin

Knows better than to trust a strange computer.

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Members

Last Call ... surf_rider56's Customs Options
SquelchDog
Posted: Saturday, October 15, 2011 9:40:54 AM
Groups: Member

surf_rider56 wrote:
jedispyder wrote:
A lot of interesting stuff.

On the Czkera Arms Dealer, maybe instead of Weapons Upgrade you can call it Weapons Training and have the definition simply be "Allies with Heavy Weapon lose Heavy Weapon"

Thanks for the comment. The simplified definition I like; the "weapons Training?" Not sure how that would explain something heavy suddenly isn't. I originally called it Weapons Miniaturization. Changing the name doesn't bother me, but some rationale that makes sense ....

I had always hoped WotC would have made an SA or CE that negated Heavy Weapon. I just might have to play test this at home. Wink Have you done any testing of that surf rider? If so, what kinda results did you have?
SquelchDog
Posted: Saturday, October 15, 2011 9:58:45 AM

Love the new customs you posted surf rider. It's taken me a while to read through them all. lol Laugh I was just checking out your Defiler. Boy he looks like a lot of fun to play! ThumbsUp

I was also checking out your 3-D terrain again. Can't wait till I finish up my degree so I have more time for my favorite hobby! Cool
surf_rider56
Posted: Saturday, October 15, 2011 10:18:05 AM

SquelchDog wrote:

I had always hoped WotC would have made an SA or CE that negated Heavy Weapon. I just might have to play test this at home. Wink Have you done any testing of that surf rider? If so, what kinda results did you have?

I liked the idea of losing the Heavy Weapons ... as for playtesting, well, one guy got married and moved and these two brothers I used do mini's with moved out of state; my "new" group is a couple married guys and some high school kids and they play mostly 30 miles away. When they come a lil closer, I join in ... not often enough :)

Still wondering how many of my cards I should put here ..... You liked the 3D stuff?
SquelchDog
Posted: Saturday, October 15, 2011 11:12:17 AM

surf_rider56 wrote:
I liked the idea of losing the Heavy Weapons ... as for playtesting, well, one guy got married and moved and these two brothers I used do mini's with moved out of state; my "new" group is a couple married guys and some high school kids and they play mostly 30 miles away. When they come a lil closer, I join in ... not often enough :)

Still wondering how many of my cards I should put here ..... You liked the 3D stuff?

Ya I hear ya there man. Here it's just my son, younger brother and myself. We have fun though, and that's the important part. :)

Well you've given me some great new idea's so please feel free to keep posting your cards. ThumpUp I love reading them, I was thinking of incorporating some of your stuff in our SWM {CE} campaign. Oh ya, loving the 3-D terrain. Very nice stuff there. I've been hitting the toy stores lately looking for stuff that can be used to populate the terrain I'd like to make at home. ThumbsUp
surf_rider56
Posted: Friday, October 21, 2011 4:34:49 PM

I have a few new cards I've been working on this week; some of them I think are darn interesting; should be posting them sometime tomorrow if the wife doesn't hit me with too long a HoneyDo list; been that kind of week. I hate when reality sticks its head into your having fun ....
monni316
Posted: Friday, October 21, 2011 4:44:46 PM

Very Cool!!!

I think you used a pic of the Mon Cal Ranger custom I made back in the day... I feel honored :)
surf_rider56
Posted: Saturday, October 22, 2011 5:47:10 AM

monni316 wrote:
Very Cool!!!

I think you used a pic of the Mon Cal Ranger custom I made back in the day... I feel honored :)

Long time no see Mon; yes, I made a mini for it but your pic came out better than mine so most likely; did you have stats for yours? Can't remember and some of mine are 4-5 years old so I can't say for sure ... liked the idea, did the Custom BigGrin
surf_rider56
Posted: Saturday, October 22, 2011 4:20:43 PM

Some new stuff ....

YuuzhanVong

Was Nom the only Executor in the Vong?

Fringe

I always thought whichever Transdoshan was picking on Wookies must have been tough.

Do all Toydarians look like Watto?

Just an idea ......

Never played the game but was intrigued by the character ......

One of those ”liked the pic” cards ......

She must have been reasonably tough to survive the life she led .....

Always liked the Ithorian Commanders CE; thought it was a shame it was limited to the Rebels.

I thought he’d be good to pair up with the Commander

Separatist

Liked the idea of Asajj bringing in the Nightsisters to the Seps ......

Don’t know if anyone else has noticed, but not a single Dooku has a CE (I wasn't counting the V-Set R&R); somehow I can see that regarding droids, but I thought he should have had Some kind of CE for the living Seps.

I seem to be on a living, non-unique kick for Separatists

My version of Nuvo; I’ve noticed some people have done him so I tried to Not look at what others did with him.

Sith

Thought a Sith version of an Archivist would be interesting; somebody must have been teaching at the Korriban Academy besides lightsaber technique.

Just because the Brotherhood existed .... and I liked the mini I made for it.

Rebel

My token Rebels and my version of Jan

Liked the book, created the mini’s of Finn & Dusque

Old Republic

Just thought I’d spread the Ithorians out ...

Imperial

Intrigued by the character

Flamethrower seemed like a natural ability for the Imps, yet they didn’t have an official mini.

Republic

If Veers could do it, are you thinking the Clones couldn’t?

Chiss

My Chiss faction and a few of their cards.

SquelchDog
Posted: Wednesday, October 26, 2011 4:01:36 AM

Sweet! Awesome new customs surf rider! ThumpUp
surf_rider56
Posted: Sunday, October 30, 2011 2:48:58 PM

Traffic seems to have really slowed down in the customs area; life happens and the heavy business of mini customizing for the V-Sets has certainly taken up peoples time, but if it gets people into SWM customizing, I’m all for it.

I’ve been trying out some new ideas with the Vong. Comments appreciated since they’re my weak point.

YuuzhanVong

Separatists

Saw these guys on Friday; good show that night and loved the character ...

Sith

Always looking to improve the non-unique in factions

Mandalorian

Since people, myself included, have done Satine, Vizla, and Death Watch characters, why not …..

Old Republic

Liked the pic, wanted to do a Togruta character and the OR always needs people ...

Fringe

My mission lately has been to try to make unusable characters usable again. First up, the Dark Hellions

I’ve helped Fringers, Mercenaries, so why not Scoundrels ....

Mustafarians are another group that are unplayable so ...

Loved the character, don’t think he’s used as much as he could’ve so thought I’d tweak him a bit ….

We could use a few non-unique Hutt’s

Last call, Fett before his Bounty Hunting days .....

Looking forward to hearing what people have to say .... guess when I opened myself up to making cards without a matching mini I didn’t realize the flood I’d produce; hope its enjoyable to one and all and gives people some new ideas as I get ideas from others.

Time to catch up on my reading for now BigGrin
kobayashimaru
Posted: Sunday, October 30, 2011 8:03:52 PM

Im liking where these are coming from; most are balanced, and I think you're filling niches that were hinted at in the WotC sets (IE Ithorian sub-factions, tusken subfaction, bulking the vong up etc).

Personally, I enjoy your republic, fringe and separatist pieces (especially Dooku on speeder)

I'd like to see more jedi and sep soldiers; maybe some anx jedi, Gran jedi, and the sorts of species that havent had much attention.
I'd also like to see more vehicles, probably dropships or a large troop carrying armored thing BigGrin

Droids would also be interesting to see; maybe some alternate astrodroids?

Excellent work in any event
surf_rider56
Posted: Monday, October 31, 2011 12:21:46 PM

kobayashimaru wrote:
Im liking where these are coming from; most are balanced, and I think you're filling niches that were hinted at in the WotC sets (IE Ithorian sub-factions, tusken subfaction, bulking the vong up etc).

Personally, I enjoy your republic, fringe and separatist pieces (especially Dooku on speeder)

I'd like to see more jedi and sep soldiers; maybe some anx jedi, Gran jedi, and the sorts of species that havent had much attention.
I'd also like to see more vehicles, probably dropships or a large troop carrying armored thing BigGrin

Droids would also be interesting to see; maybe some alternate astrodroids?

Excellent work in any event

Thanks for the comments; I try to get them balanced but feedback is always needed and appreciated; one doesn't always see the obvious and other eyes can catch things.

I've actually tried to avoid putting in Jedi; I have a few dozen or so generic Jedi and while many are human, I have a handful of other species; maybe I'll clean a few up (they're last on my To Do List) and put some on next weekend.

I've actually got cards made up for most of my various models that I've used for some of my 3D projects; been toying with building a generic dropship and I'm curious to see the size of the Hasbro Mandalorian Assault Transport.

My Xmas 3D project will be a jungle battle between Imperial Stormtroopers, AT-AT's, AT-ST's and whatever else I can scrounge up vs. a generic well-equiped Scared group of 40K Imperial Guardsmen. Squads equiped with anti-armor weapons, heavy weapons and a dropship or two; their Sentinal pieces look a lot like AT-RT's. I've been looking at some wheeled APC vehicles that look promising for generic use in a sci-fi setting too. Looking at 1/35 scale models, an AMT LAV-AT and a Revell TPZ Fuchs. Tracked vehicles just don't look right in the Star Wars universe. A good paint job and this could be interesting. Been toying with the use of 40K pieces, right size and for a generic enemy, why not? The Imps couldn't have possibly won Every battle, the wars, maybe, battles, no. I especially was enjoying the Umbarans fighting the Clones on TV. Could be interesting and the Rebels are frankly getting dull. May need to research them and try to spice them up in time.

Edit --- to Kob; some of my Transport ideas

jak
Posted: Tuesday, November 1, 2011 3:38:03 AM

WOW....again.....WOW!ThumbsUp
I liked the Umbaran trooper, great stats, and very timely

top notch
these would be very nice V-set figures.Cool
kobayashimaru
Posted: Tuesday, November 1, 2011 3:41:17 AM

Cool transport ideas; it really picks up where those photos of your spaceport left off BigGrin
Ever finish stats for that Higgins class trade federation ship? I really liked that idea; cost cutting with space higgins landers seems very trade federation.

I actually think the 'KDY nomad (aka runabout)' could be a small frigate with some polypipe and some detailing... I have an unassembled kit of the runabout, and a Kazon raider kit (about 1/35, could be a pirate frieghter?)
The nacelles on the runabout and voyager shuttles look too star trek, but the rest of those kits look sorta like a Gozanti cruiser or a republic light freighter.

Have you seen any models that could be used as floating weapons platforms? Im thinking of droid concepts like the Tau Drones, but larger for the CIS, that I might get to in a year or two when I can scrounge enough parts... My Republic Gunships are itching for terrain and some scenarios. BigGrin

Kobayashimaru
surf_rider56
Posted: Tuesday, November 1, 2011 11:15:39 AM

jak wrote:
WOW....again.....WOW!ThumbsUp
I liked the Umbaran trooper, great stats, and very timely

top notch
these would be very nice V-set figures.Cool

Thank you for the comments The Umbaran's not perfect but I loved the episode and thought about a card immediately. What other cards did you think were interesting?

I've shied away from the V-Sets; most of the designers are friends and pretty tightknit whereas I'm just an occassional player and more into customizing. Don't want to stick my nose in, although I learned a lot from working on the Customs Board New Lost Twenty project. We created an Alto Stratus and I'd made a Nimbus Commando to go along with him, but yesterday I peaked at the new V-Set and noticed they created one; not sure I want to wave my own now, although I think that the Separatists are a very diverse group, especially compared to almost every other faction.

Again, thanks for the thoughts.
surf_rider56
Posted: Tuesday, November 1, 2011 11:42:59 AM

kobayashimaru wrote:
Cool transport ideas; it really picks up where those photos of your spaceport left off BigGrin
Ever finish stats for that Higgins class trade federation ship? I really liked that idea; cost cutting with space higgins landers seems very trade federation.

Is that the Maquis Raider you're talking about? I've got 5-6 different models that sub for light transport of various types.

kobayashimaru wrote:
I actually think the 'KDY nomad (aka runabout)' could be a small frigate with some polypipe and some detailing... I have an unassembled kit of the runabout, and a Kazon raider kit (about 1/35, could be a pirate frieghter?) The nacelles on the runabout and voyager shuttles look too star trek, but the rest of those kits look sorta like a Gozanti cruiser or a republic light freighter.
Kobayashimaru

I don't have much in the way of junk/spare parts for ships; totally agree about the nacelles, but I was thinking of adding a small turret to the runabout, maybe some antennae. I've got a Kazan Torpedo, big enough for a 1-man ship.; how would you change the Raider to make it stand?

kobayashimaru wrote:

Have you seen any models that could be used as floating weapons platforms? Im thinking of droid concepts like the Tau Drones, but larger for the CIS, that I might get to in a year or two when I can scrounge enough parts...

Perhaps a DS9 model? Not cheap, but an idea. I think some of the 40k models are interesting; not interested in the game, but great for parts fodder and ideas to steal for generic opponents I think ... scenery, maybe at Xmas.
surf_rider56
Posted: Wednesday, November 2, 2011 4:32:24 PM

I wasn't planning on doing anything till next weekend, but as I was watching TV with the wife and surfing for a pic idea for Theron Shan I came across this pic. The Republic SIS intrigued me and I looked at the MiniManager; I don't think the OR has Any pieces with the disruptive ability, so what can I say, here's the spur of the moment card. My only problem is I'm thinking I should take 1-2 abilities out but I just can't make up my mind which one. The Traps/Sabotage abilities are rare yet seem to fit a spy character, yet I think she's just a bit too much.

Any ideas on what to do with this one?

SquelchDog
Posted: Thursday, November 3, 2011 9:20:39 AM

I wouldn't change any thing on this one surf rider. I think she is an excellent custom figure. Awesome stats, fits the type of character she is. I say keep her the way she is dude. ThumbsUp
surf_rider56
Posted: Sunday, November 6, 2011 2:34:21 PM

SquelchDog wrote:
I wouldn't change any thing on this one surf rider. I think she is an excellent custom figure. Awesome stats, fits the type of character she is. I say keep her the way she is dude. ThumbsUp

Best laid plans … wife was sick, In-Laws visiting, and grandkids trying to play …Wasn’t planning on this but the weather didn’t cooperate on reading outside so ….

@Squelch, another opinion was needed and I say thanks. Guess the SIS Agent will stay as is.

@Koba, you were thinking more non-human Jedi? Was working on these a few weeks ago … Council members were always interesting and rather powerful.

Republic

Sith

Thought that Korriban Academy teachers must have taught something mental besides fighting skills

Fringe

The Sallisian Mercenaries were the ones who attacked the RMSU in the Medstar books and were killed by Phow Ji

The idea that a character with Stealth and Pheromones; can’t shoot at him from greater than 6 or less than 6 …. Strange idea.

Just an idea.

This popped up earlier this week. Aurra Sing is a fascinating character. She got 2 mini’s rather early in the SWM universe, they’re rather powerful in their day, then they disappear from use as melee lost out to range. I think she was more interesting than she was portrayed so I thought I’d redo her; couldn’t make up my mind what pick to use, so suggestions, and comments always welcome.

kobayashimaru
Posted: Sunday, November 6, 2011 9:15:06 PM

@surf,
Nice work! These are top notch!
I got an idea while looking at your Sing custom -- you've gotta make a custom J'Mikel stat card next haha,
so I can recreate that scene from the comic book... BigGrin

Seriously though, nice work on all the customs. I think Yareal may be a little over powered (given his appearance in Robot Chicken)
Illusion works for him, Im thinking force asetic though to balance that piece out.

I'm liking the fringe pieces, may have to try making the mechanic...
Any chance you'll make stats for any of the random droids in the universe? the Different R-series, etc