Too many Vsets ? Options
Azman
Posted: Friday, April 27, 2012 6:08:50 PM
Groups: Member

Are we in danger of producing too many vsets too quickly ??Confused
Sithborg
Posted: Friday, April 27, 2012 6:11:54 PM
Groups: Member , Moderator, Rules Guy

I think 2 sets a year is fine. I think it would be okay to push the second set a bit back past Jan.

It's really not many more pieces than we started getting a year.
Azman
Posted: Friday, April 27, 2012 6:13:43 PM

Im concerned that before long.. every old card we have will be redundant
Sithborg
Posted: Friday, April 27, 2012 6:18:28 PM
Groups: Member , Moderator, Rules Guy

Were do you draw the line, though? The Vsets haven't made anything unplayable that wasn't before, except maybe a few pieces that most people would call problems. There is in fact a bit of shift in design focusing on making older stuff more playable, even if it isn't top tier.
EmporerDragon
Posted: Friday, April 27, 2012 7:09:57 PM

Azman wrote:
Im concerned that before long.. every old card we have will be redundant

I highly doubt that will happen, considering how many new figures bring old characters back into the spotlight. The new Leia and IG-88A are great examples of this.

adamb0nd
Posted: Friday, April 27, 2012 7:32:32 PM
Groups: Member , Moderator

The vsets have kept this game alive long after it's expiration date. I fully support the current frequency.
adamb0nd
Posted: Friday, April 27, 2012 7:35:03 PM

Also... If we run out of unique pieces to make (which we won't, as their are new characters created every month, and every background character has a name), we'll do what every set has already done... Find new renditions of the characters
Azman
Posted: Friday, April 27, 2012 10:46:04 PM

adamb0nd wrote:
The vsets have kept this game alive long after it's expiration date. I fully support the current frequency.

Im a very happy supporter of V sets.. and enjoy the new cards. ThumpUp

Just thought it would be an interesting discussion.

In 5 years time.. will we be up to vset 14... and at an end ???

where do we draw the line ?
kezzamachine
Posted: Friday, April 27, 2012 11:59:15 PM

The End is Vset 38. Albert Einstein appeared to me in a dream and told me to start getting nervous around 35-36. He also said that we probably wouldn't see C3PO, Jedi Master or a new Nein Nunb with Pilot before the end.

I hate nightmares!
Darth O
Posted: Saturday, April 28, 2012 1:43:19 AM

kezzamachine wrote:
The End is Vset 38. Albert Einstein appeared to me in a dream and told me to start getting nervous around 35-36. He also said that we probably wouldn't see C3PO, Jedi Master or a new Nein Nunb with Pilot before the end.

I hate nightmares!

Egad! No new Nien Nunb OR C3PO, Jedi Master? You won't sleep for weeks!
kobayashimaru
Posted: Saturday, April 28, 2012 2:21:04 AM

@Azman,
You certainly are articulating a valid argument - "if we make too many too soon, our creativity will be burnt out, as will our want for this game" is what I infer you are saying.
That said, no set past Masters of the Force is in any way tournament legal (at least, in QLD).
I dont consider any of them 'legal', and ALWAYS ask an opponents permission before using any custom anythings - be it a proxy figure or a completely custom army.
So, we can make as many custom figures and stats etc as we want, but we have already reached the limit of legal pieces/interactions between pieces.
Azman
Posted: Saturday, April 28, 2012 2:36:27 AM

kobayashimaru wrote:
@Azman,
You certainly are articulating a valid argument - "if we make too many too soon, our creativity will be burnt out, as will our want for this game" is what I infer you are saying.
That said, no set past Masters of the Force is in any way tournament legal (at least, in QLD).
I dont consider any of them 'legal', and ALWAYS ask an opponents permission before using any custom anythings - be it a proxy figure or a completely custom army.
So, we can make as many custom figures and stats etc as we want, but we have already reached the limit of legal pieces/interactions between pieces.

I love that the game is alive

I love making customs ThumbsUp

I just wonder how many is too many Confused
coffeebean
Posted: Saturday, April 28, 2012 6:19:40 AM

Azman wrote:
I just wonder how many is too many Confused

the neat thing about this is when it becomes to much, then you stop collecting:)

i personally just collect v-sets for unique reprints of a bad wotc figures (revan, bastila, nomi, hk-47) and non-uniques that fill certain faction holes that help a little. and of course THE EPICS!!

dreadtech
Posted: Saturday, April 28, 2012 2:49:54 PM

No, but if it gets to many for you just stop having/using them. The rest of us can carry on. With new material still coming out (Clone wars, books comics) I see no reason why the vsets can't carry on for years. As long as the designers with to produce them. WOTC could have carried on and most of us wanted them to do so, the only difference now is we do not get new figures.
wannabe mexican
Posted: Saturday, April 28, 2012 2:51:02 PM

I loved what the first few v-sets did. I think they will continue to help keep the game fresh. Even though I don't play much I will keep donating and getting teh cards. Mainly because I am too lazy to make my own custom minis and like what these new ones do.

As soon as I finish university I will all of a sudden explode with my minis playing.
theultrastar
Posted: Saturday, April 28, 2012 9:48:03 PM

I don't think there is any danger here. Too many bad characters made by WoTC that can be remade, too many characters out there in the Star Wars Universe to still be made. 2 sets a year is perfect as well.
R5Don4
Posted: Sunday, April 29, 2012 6:32:01 AM

I don't think there can be too many, but inevitably what will happen and is already happening now is that entire top tier squads are going to consist of nothing but Vset pieces, aside from essential tech, which may one day become obsolete as well.
jak
Posted: Sunday, April 29, 2012 7:24:46 AM

IMO the sets contain to many cards, if printing 60 at once is the most economical, then make 1 set of 60, and release half before GenCon, and half before Christmas.
Or do 1 set a year, release before GenCon.

I'd like the v-sets to keep on coming,but limit the cards per year.
There's no reason to put out the same number of cards as Wizards.
Just when you think you've got a grasp of the cards, blam! more come out.
Some times less is moreThumpUp
qvos
Posted: Sunday, April 29, 2012 10:01:04 AM

Even when Wizos was producing sets, some of my buddies wondered the same thing. How much was too much?.. and yes, the Latest versions of characters made the older versions unplayable. After all, GOWK saw much more playing time then most, if not all other versions of Obi-wan. even Flobi started seeing extended play over GOWK, perhaps because of the change in rules at the time regarding Soresu.
The point is, Its kinda part of the game and its progression. I look forward to the changes each v-set brings to the game and to the Meta. Sometimes I look back to the days of R2 locking the doors and winning, Black and Blue, And yes even Reiakann Dodonna squads, But I personally like the change.
I like it especially when the Vsets make older pieces playable again. Just my thoughts.
kezzamachine
Posted: Sunday, April 29, 2012 3:16:37 PM

My style of art is Mythopoeia (there's some study for ya!) so there being soooo many Vset Cards and/or characters in general smokes my tires in a big way. I love that - even if the game stopped right now - I won't have played every character until like 4 years time. I love that the options are almost endless. I love that the depth of the SWM game is now starting to mirror the depth of the SW universe. I joked about the Vset 34 but I seriously hope it goes for ever - or thereabouts. I am already thinking about my retirement in 28 years time when I can play all the SWM I like (wife dependant) and finally really get to try all these combos (of which there will be gazillions)!

I do, however, understand the consideration of over-populating the SWM game and therefore causing some folk to shy away from play due to the game being too big. I don't nessecarily agree (or have the ability to spell 'nessecarily'), as evidenced above, but it would be remiss of me not to acknowledge the arguement. I can't speak for the individuals of the Save11 group, but we've grown considerably - both in numbers and in depth - since the introduction of Vsets and I'm still to encounter any arguement about the number of characters and direction of the game thus far. (That doesn't mean that all my Save11 folk agree on this point, but rather I haven't encountered anyone saying otherwise.)

You rule. Especially you.