33 Emperor Palpatine on Throne
28 Dash Rendar, Renegade Smuggler
11 Admiral Ozzel
10 Jagged Fel
5 Imperial Dignitary
4 Gran Raider
9 Ugnaught Demolitionist x3
(150pts. 10 activations)

This squad has everything you need to compete in the new meta. This is the best combo I can come up with for Imperials at 150. Dash with force points is nasty. He can reroll evade saves, Attacks, and move an extra 2 to get out of harms way. Ozzel allows you to go last and get off a 1 2 punch with Dash and Vader for a total of 120 dmg. The optimal map choice would be the ruined base. Optimal side would be the outside with the Emperor setup in gambit and cover. The best feature of this squad is having an ug use a force point to get rid of a force spirit.
owaller3
Posted: Saturday, May 2, 2009 1:58:48 AM
Groups: Member

Update. Played against a mediocre player using the following GOWK squad on the train station.

--Broken GOWK 150--
55 General Obi-Wan Kenobi
33 Captain Rex
28 Dash Rendar, Renegade Smuggler
11 Human Bodyguard
9 R2-D2, Astromech Droid
5 Caamasi Noble
(150pts. 9 activations)

I took second choice of side and setup the Emperor in gambit. First round an ug opened a door and Rex shot at the Emperor and did 40 damage. Most of the match was Rex and Dash taking vollies at the Emperor. Most of the shots missed since Rex needed 13's and Dash needed 15's and the hits I mostly evaded. The game ended after an hour with my Dash killing his Rex and Vader gripping R2. The Emperor had 70 dmg on him and collected 5 gambit.

I should be playing some more matches today against a great player. Will update.
AdmiralAckbar
Posted: Sunday, May 3, 2009 1:44:56 AM

Great ReportCool

Look forward to hearing your results with a better player.
owaller3
Posted: Sunday, May 3, 2009 3:32:28 AM

Update. I played two matches against a decent player. First match was against the same GOWK squad this time at the ruined base. I setup first taking the outside and placing the Emperor in gambit in the larger room. Match lasted 4 rounds. My opponent tried to rush the Emperor with GOWK and take pop shots with Rex and Dash. I was able to kill GOWK 3rd round and then kill Dash and Rex 4th round.

2nd match was against the squad below on the ruined base.

--Anti clone wars teams--
54 Kyle Katarn, Jedi Battlemaster
45 Mara Jade, Jedi
23 General Wedge Antilles
10 Luke Skywalker, Force Spirit
9 General Dodonna
(150pts. 8 activations)

This match wasn't even close. Again I chose the outside with the Emperor placed in gambit. Without a viable shooter Kyle and Mara were forced to try and come at the Emperor's room since I had the gambit advantage. 3rd round I killed Kyle by having the Emperor lightning him, Vader grip him and Dash base him for the rest. Mara with 90hp on the 5th round tried to come from below where I based her with Dash for 80 and finished her off with Jagged fel.

All in all I beleive there are better strategies for both of the squads I played against as it was incredibly easy to beat both. Having the Emperor in Gambit and having such a far reach with lightning makes it nearly impossible to get around the room without some damage. Perhaps they should have tried moving around the top near the pit.
dnemiller
Posted: Sunday, May 3, 2009 6:13:11 AM

owaller3 wrote:
Update. I played two matches against a decent player. First match was against the same GOWK squad this time at the ruined base. I setup first taking the outside and placing the Emperor in gambit in the larger room. Match lasted 4 rounds. My opponent tried to rush the Emperor with GOWK and take pop shots with Rex and Dash. I was able to kill GOWK 3rd round and then kill Dash and Rex 4th round.

2nd match was against the squad below on the ruined base.

--Anti clone wars teams--
54 Kyle Katarn, Jedi Battlemaster
45 Mara Jade, Jedi
23 General Wedge Antilles
10 Luke Skywalker, Force Spirit
9 General Dodonna
(150pts. 8 activations)

This match wasn't even close. Again I chose the outside with the Emperor placed in gambit. Without a viable shooter Kyle and Mara were forced to try and come at the Emperor's room since I had the gambit advantage. 3rd round I killed Kyle by having the Emperor lightning him, Vader grip him and Dash base him for the rest. Mara with 90hp on the 5th round tried to come from below where I based her with Dash for 80 and finished her off with Jagged fel.

All in all I beleive there are better strategies for both of the squads I played against as it was incredibly easy to beat both. Having the Emperor in Gambit and having such a far reach with lightning makes it nearly impossible to get around the room without some damage. Perhaps they should have tried moving around the top near the pit.

I think if you want a real playtest have your opponent (even ask him to) put a Camaasi Noble in the squads they are playing. Then have them base your Palps. That is what a good player is going to do. I dont know too many people who are good that dont find room for a noble in their squad. But for you to really know the strength of your squad you need to deal with Palps being unable to lightening anyone.
owaller3
Posted: Sunday, May 3, 2009 7:09:58 AM

The above GOWK squad has a Camaasi Noble in it. The opponent used it to base the Emperor but I was able to kill it with Dash. There is no good way for the Camaasi to work unless you put one of your main peices in harms way and even then you need to make sure I can't get a beed on the Camaasi with Dash or Jagged. On the ruined base the only way to accomplish this is to enter the room with GOWK which exposes him to grips. Plus once in the room what will he do? If he bases the Emperor and attacks, the Emperor can either force push him for 20 or lightning him for 40 which by the way will kill the Camaasi. Or he can sit there for 2 rounds and die from Vader's grips. If you use Dash or Rex to cover the Camaasi all the better. I will just kill them with Dash and Vader. The only possible use for the Camaasi I can see is to base the Emperor when there is no one left. If this is the case then I will have already lost.
awesome
Posted: Sunday, May 3, 2009 7:34:22 AM

actually you could put a cloaked person with it, so I guess if that happened you might have lost.

That 2nd guy with the Kyle squad could have played it better, did you get disrupted(or did you guys completely forget)?
owaller3
Posted: Sunday, May 3, 2009 9:35:27 AM

Yes, you could put a cloaked person with the Camaasi but you run into the problem of positioning the cloaked character so they always have cover. Kyle did disrupt the Emperor but at the time Vader had 5fp and Dash was within 6 of Kyle so he could base him and take his shots at +10 for 20.
awesome
Posted: Sunday, May 3, 2009 9:44:36 AM

Did he just run everyone up to get slaughtered or something?(if so he must not be to brite)
owaller3
Posted: Sunday, May 3, 2009 9:50:34 AM

He had to come to me since I had gambit 1st round. What strategy would you have taken?
awesome
Posted: Sunday, May 3, 2009 10:00:03 AM

I would have gone around to were vader will not be able to see me and dash cant base me, It might take a few turns but at least they wont die for free, they would take some with them.
dnemiller
Posted: Sunday, May 3, 2009 10:35:37 AM

wow owaller being as you dont have any accurate shot int he squad I would think a gran would keep your camassi alive if needed.

I am kind of wondering about the player you playtested this against. BIlliv15 and I tested Gowk against the exact same build. I took Gowk and Bill took the Imps. It was ugly for the Imps. So I would suggest you playtest your squad with someone of equal skill to yourself. Testing it against lesser opponents will skew your results badly.
owaller3
Posted: Sunday, May 3, 2009 10:46:37 AM

@dnemiller. Did billiv15 ever activate Vader, Dash, or the Emperor before you activated your Dash? Also what map did you play and which side did the Imps get. I need more info so I can evaluate for myself.

As for the gran, Vader can use Force Sense and Dash can ping him off and then your Camaasi.
dnemiller
Posted: Sunday, May 3, 2009 10:58:08 AM

you know I am not really sure what you are getting at by the last comment. I am basing it on your comments about your opponents. I believe the best they rated in your mind was decent.... not really complimentary.

But if you think your squad is a Gowk killer at face value that is fine. I would think you would better serve yourself to playtest it against say a tough player or a great player or even a better player than you. That generally helps you see what you can to expect and in turn makes you the best player you can be.

I think you might be shocked though exactly how you testing wil work out when you go for that tough player. Being that I am the DCI contnet Manager I have tried my best to llok at Gowk objectively as possible. But in the hands of a great player he is devastating. I am not going to verbally play a game on here against you but you can find me on vassal quite often.
owaller3
Posted: Sunday, May 3, 2009 11:11:34 AM

@dnemiller I was just asking for more details about the game you played so I could learn from it. I totally agree that I should face great players. It is just that I have not had a chance to with this squad yet.
awesome
Posted: Sunday, May 3, 2009 12:43:36 PM

I am very certain that this squad would beat that one, so far every time I have done these 2 mine won.

Cade Skywalker Bounty Hunter-61
Luke Skywalker Rebel Commando-27
Princess Leia Senitor-13(the 1 who lets u move 2 squares at the end of turn)
General Dodonna-9
R2 with extended Sensor-9
Juno Eclips-8
Obi Wan jedi spirit-8
Ugnought DemoX4-12
Mouse Droid-3

150 points, 12 activations

force spirit Cade,
when the time is right have Luke levitate cade to the right firing position than unload, after move back in 2 squares and lock the door, Juno is good for Disrupting everyone who comes close enough to attack you.

Yep this one could definitely beat it. you should try it out.
:)
mercenary_moose
Posted: Sunday, May 3, 2009 12:54:20 PM

awesome wrote:
I am very certain that this squad would beat that one, so far every time I have done these 2 mine won.

General Dodonna-9
Juno Eclips-8
Obi Wan jedi spirit-8
Ugnought DemoX4-12
Mouse Droid-3

force spirit Cade,
when the time is right have Luke levitate cade to the right firing position than unload, after move back in 2 squares and lock the door, Juno is good for Disrupting everyone who comes close enough to attack you.

Wow. That's just freaking EVIL.
awesome
Posted: Sunday, May 3, 2009 12:57:11 PM

mercenary_moose wrote:
awesome wrote:

General Dodonna-9
Juno Eclips-8
Obi Wan jedi spirit-8
Ugnought DemoX4-12
Mouse Droid-3

force spirit Cade,

Wow. That's just freaking EVIL.

dnemiller
Posted: Sunday, May 3, 2009 2:00:38 PM

ok so Bill and I played the game on the Ravaged Base. Bill had inside and I had outside. He set palps up in the hallway in front of the turbo lift getting gambit.

SO you must understand Bill and I play very similar styles. We both spent the first round getting gambit and moving pieces forward without giving each other any line of sight. In the second round I spent time moving to the top part of the map and was able to get a couple of shots off which using vassal I was lucky enough to roll double 1's. This in the end cost me my r2 doombot. I also managed to base both of my noble to his Palps and had a gran sitting behind them.

Now for BIll to have move to get at the gran and the other he would have to live with both my dash and rex shooting him. The game kind of came down to me allowing him to grip Gowk twice so I could shoot at vader with Rex and use Gowk's Force Push I then finished off Vader with Dash after the push.

Palps was nerfed other than dishing out force points.

I will point out that Bill did nothing tactically wring dueing the game. Gowk is just hard to kill. This was about 4 weeks ago so I honestly cannot be much more detailed... We have been testing the Gowk as he is now since before then.
owaller3
Posted: Sunday, May 3, 2009 11:50:38 PM

Thank you for the info. Yeah the key to winning is definatley keeping palps in cover and free of Camaasis. Perhaps the Emperor should have been placed in the turbolift instead of in front of it.