RegisterDonateLogin

Is a pathway to many abilities some consider to be unnatural.

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Members

Viable in the new Meta Options
LoboStele
Posted: Wednesday, June 3, 2009 8:26:19 AM
Groups: Member

Nah, I even admitted that I really didn't know how to play it. I haven't messed with it enough in order to really figure it out. I've seen it played out several different ways though, and it pretty much loses to GOWK each game that I've seen. So it makes me quite curious as to what exactly you must do differently to make it work.

Would definitely like to see you play it yourself. Would help understand this discussion a lot better.
billiv15
Posted: Wednesday, June 3, 2009 9:16:05 AM

owaller3 wrote:
First, by making the statement that you "know how to play against Ozzel" only leads me to beleive you fit into the first category of naysayers.
He doesn't. Jonny understands how to make the single activation painful for the Ozzel/San player. He has run Ozzel, and run against him/San enough to know how to deal with it effectively.

owaller3 wrote:
Second, if I had more time I would jump on vassal and play lobo or Billiv. (which I tried to do this weekend but Billiv was judging regionals)
Um, you gave me about 1 days notice, and asked to play on a Sat afternoon. You could have read the thread on this very forum that would have told you I was busy that day :) I'm on Vassal almost every night, so it's not that hard to play me. Lobo, Dnemiller, or Jonny as well. Hell, I bet you couldn't find an evening when one of of us wasn't online and able to play a game with you.

With that said, your time is drawing quite short. I leave on Sat morning and will be gone for a week. I return that following week, and then leave again the one after that for another week. So you will probably have to play someone else whenever you get "time".

owaller3 wrote:
Seeing how I haven't and last night a player that I classify as excellent (and played most of these matchups against) watched Billiv15 play against Lobo using my squad and Lobo played it incorrectly leads me to believe Lobo doesn't quite understand how to play the squad either.
I'm sure. Lobo played fine. If you know so much about that particular game, then perhaps you can enlighten us as to how you would have played it so much better.

Please explain what Lobo did wrong, and how making another choice would have given him the win.
shinja
Posted: Wednesday, June 3, 2009 9:29:08 AM
Groups: Administration

I started watching when Vader was dead, but Rex and Dash were still alive (although Rex was wounded).

I think Lobo would have been better off sticking Palpatine right out in the open in the hallway instead of hiding him in the room. He would have taken many (if not all) of the shots that killed Vader, and he would have had more opportunity to use Lightning. It was sad to see a full health Palps spinning by himself in a room with 13 Force points while the rest of the squad took a beating...
owaller3
Posted: Wednesday, June 3, 2009 1:22:40 PM

billiv15 wrote:
Um, you gave me about 1 days notice, and asked to play on a Sat afternoon.

The reason for stating we didn't play is not to imply anything about you it is just to show that I want to and have attempted to and since we haven't you don't know how I play.

billiv15 wrote:
Please explain what Lobo did wrong, and how making another choice would have given him the win.

He activated Vader before your Dash. So shooting at Vader (in cover) went from a 20% chance to hit for 10dmg (Which Vader has a 50% chance to Dark Armor away) to a 40% chance to hit for 20dmg. If he wasn't in cover then it makes this mistake even worse. This squad is about probabilities and leveraging them against your opponent. This is how I play.
LoboStele
Posted: Thursday, June 4, 2009 1:28:26 AM

I'm not sure if you know everything that went on during the game, but it was a situation like this. By activating Vader I was able to do a Lightsaber Throw, kill R2, put 20 on Rex (rolled a 1), kill an Ugo, and hit GOWK twice as well (no damage, but I think he had to burn a FP). So, the main point being that I was able to kill R2, extremely reducing his mobility.

If I hadn't killed R2, then he would've been able to tow cable GOWK up to hit Vader, or tow Cable Rex around a different direction, or several different options. In that case, the biggest problem was Ozzel. I knew that Dash would be able to unload on me. Because of Ozzel though, I couldn't move any 2nd piece to either give Vader cover, or to block Dash's shots.

Without having seen the game first hand, I don't know how much you really know about how it went in order to say "Oh, he played it wrong". Honestly, we were talking through quite a few of the moves as we did them, and everyone involved watching the game (4-5 players total), all agreed that I didn't really have much choice, and that it was pretty much the best option that I had.

And actually, that wasn't really even what hurt the game the most. GOWK based Vader by moving 12 and making 1 attack that round, and I unloaded into him with Dash, hitting 3 out of 4 attacks....and guess what happened? No damage. See, that's the problem.

And it really didn't matter where I had Palpatine. There would've been easy ways for Bill to have worked from one side of the map or the other in order to stay out of Palpatine's range, and still deal with my other pieces.

I've played both with and against this squad a couple times. I've seen it win 1 time, and that was because it was after midnight, and I'd already played 2-3 grueling games before that, and I made a horrific mistake with GOWK, and had him 1 square out of position. If I'd had him properly in position, that game would have been easily won in my favor as well.
owaller3
Posted: Thursday, June 4, 2009 2:19:41 AM

@Lobo

From what I have heard and what you describe you played this squad totally wrong. It takes patience and self control. It sounds like you were playing on Ravaged Base. If this is the case the way you are supposed to play is to position and reposition to not allow R2 to tow cable Rex into your Dash. Using Dash to shoot at GOWK is pointless. Putting Vader out in the open is a good way to get him killed and so I can't imagine this as being the best choice. While LT5 is an awsome power using it against GOWK is also pointless. You might have put 40dmg on Rex but that doesn't kill him and therefore is pointless unless you can put the other 30dmg on him. The key here it to NEVER EVER activate Vader, Dash or the Emperor until you outactivate your opponent. Even if you think you can score a big hit. This is where the self control part comes into play. A good player (Billiv15) will bait you with these opportunities and when you take them you will be the one who loses out. Killing R2 while nice is not the key to defeating GOWK. Killing Rex and the Camaasi is all you need to do. Once this is accomplished all you need to do is make the kill box small enough to encompass the emperor.
Sithborg
Posted: Thursday, June 4, 2009 3:32:55 AM
Groups: Member , Moderator, Rules Guy

Odd, since I thought that killing R2 was the first step toward beating Republic squads 90% of the time. He causes real issues if left towing things around.
LoboStele
Posted: Thursday, June 4, 2009 3:52:54 AM

Yeah, well, playing on Ravaged base anyways....there's no way you can keep Rex from getting to Dash on the 3rd round if your opponent really wants to. Might have to sacrifice Rex to do it, I guess, but it's really not THAT difficult to pull off, IMO. Keeping Ozzel completely protected is just as tough, IMO. He can be killed on the 3rd round without too much effort too. Heck, probably 2nd round if the GOWK player is willing to over-extend a little.

Here's where the problem came down to. Billiv15 put an Ugo (or a Mouse Droid, don't remember) next to the room at the top (Commander's Office). It was adjacent to the door, but behind the wall as well, forcing me to go all the way out into the room to kill it with Dash if I wanted to.

Then he also moved a Mouse Droid next to the door in the main hallway next to the Command Center, and then had Dash and the Caamasi set up down in the Security Station.

With Rex, R2, and GOWK out in the main hallway next to the turbolifts, he could have them run at me from whatever direction he wanted. He could come at me from two different sides if he wanted to.

And in order to put Palpatine in Gambit (which you have to do, otherwise, you'll be down by 5 points after the first round), that means that he cannot attack pieces that stay to the left of the doors of the Command Center (if looking at Vassal, as long as pieces stay in Column S or lower).

I'm sorry, but I just don't see how it works. We discussed the idea of turtling with this squad, and I can see how you may try to play it that way. But the trouble is that the GOWK squad has several ways to get to you, or come at you from multiple angles, and there's only so much Dash and Vader can do, especially when GOWK's Rex and Dash will likely mobile back out of LOS.

Certainly, it's a bit easier on some other maps if you can work things so that Palps is the legal target 90% of the time. But on the Ruined Base map, it just doesn't work out that way very easily.
owaller3
Posted: Thursday, June 4, 2009 4:35:49 AM

Dash should spend most of his time in Y7 and Vader should spend most of his time in Y8 and Ozzel I usually put in X1. If he wants Ozzel that bad he will pay for it. I agree Ravaged Base is the most difficult to play against GOWK.
owaller3
Posted: Thursday, June 4, 2009 4:55:42 AM

Sithborg wrote:
Odd, since I thought that killing R2 was the first step toward beating Republic squads 90% of the time. He causes real issues if left towing things around.

I would agree with you but after Rex and the Camaasi are dead how effective will it be to have R2 tow either GOWK or Dash into the Emperor's strike zone?
LoboStele
Posted: Thursday, June 4, 2009 5:06:22 AM

owaller3 wrote:
Dash should spend most of his time in Y7 and Vader should spend most of his time in Y8 and Ozzel I usually put in X1. If he wants Ozzel that bad he will pay for it. I agree Ravaged Base is the most difficult to play against GOWK.

Sure, row X is perfectly fine for Ozzel, but if you leave anyone in Y8 or 7, they're just going to get shot by Rex/Dash a bunch. They'll GMA back and forth taking pot shots at you until your health gets low enough that it's worth closing in for the kill.

You can't just sit there the whole time, and a solid GOWK player will NOT let you consistently make attacks from those squares either.

Honestly, it's probably not worth hashing that kind of stuff out too much more via the forums. Getting into the nitty gritty details of square A or B is probably getting entirely too specific for forum discussion.

I'm going to be slammed busy from now through the weekend, so not much chance of me getting on Vassal at the moment. Maybe billiv15 can catch up with you. Otherwise, we can shoot for later next week or something.
Johnny Splendor
Posted: Thursday, June 4, 2009 7:40:17 AM

@ Everyone...

I just saw this thread so this is a little late but, I am the first player Owaller3 played against with this army that he decimated. I think it needs a little explaining.

I had not played SWM for about 2 months when we played. At the time I had told him I was going to play HIS recomended GOWK squad to test out how he played his army so I could see it and come up with a better counter. I let him choose the best map he could think of for his squad. I didn't play it to win, just to test how he would react to things. I had about 2 minutes to look over the squad and what it could do before we started.

Then I built my old stand by pre GOWK brokeness NR army and tried a different angle of attack to test his strengths. I again let him choose a map that would favor his army on set up. Both armys got beat and I really didn't think of any tactics but a rush becaue I wanted to see what I was playing against. I was NOT playing to win either time. I want that to be listed.

awesome wrote:
Did he just run everyone up to get slaughtered or something?(if so he must not be to brite)

in answer to that... yes I did rush them up but I did it for a reason. BigGrin

I played the way I did so I knew how to build around it. I have made 2 armies that can give this one and a GOWK squad a run for their money now. I had even told Owaller3 that those two matches shouldn't be taken as a big thing when we did them, they were tests.

With that said I have not had a chance to play him since as I have been busy the last several weeks. I see that the initial runs may have inflated his ego about the armys build but I will say it's a very solid army HE can play very well. I know that a Camassi Noble should have been used, I was just testing 2 armys that didn't have it in their build and I didn't change them up for a reason. *Edit: on rereading his initial posts I guess the GOWK had it, my bad.

With all that crap out of the way Owaller3 is one of the Top 3 players in our lil group with myself and another. We all tend to break even with matches and we all have differnt playing styles.The problem this is Owaller3 is the only one of us who plays a lot at the moment. I agree his view of this army may be off, but in our area he knows how to play it and it's pretty leathal in his hands.

I am going to be playing him tonight with squads I have put actual thought into on how to beat his, as well as ones that can take on META and I will let you know how it goes.
imyurhukaberry
Posted: Tuesday, June 9, 2009 7:31:31 AM
Groups: Member , Moderator

Northfield Regional...
7th: Ozzie Waller (aka Owaller3) 3-2

Who all did you play?
Opponents squads?
And what happened?
owaller3
Posted: Tuesday, June 9, 2009 8:51:33 AM

Played a mandalorian squad first round. Beat it easily. Second round played Johnny Splendors Vong squad. Gave me some trouble but still won. 3rd round played a mirror match except opponent had Arica and a Keldor instead of Dash and Jagged. Beat him pretty easily even though I made the mistake of putting the Emperor in the open. 4th round I played a rebel push squad. Was winning until I lost track of his activations because the player would sometimes turn his guys and sometimes not. Plus his cards were in a binder page underneath the map. I made the mistake of thinking his VAR was activated when he said it wasn't. Dash took 40 dmg and some really bad rolls later I lost him to Luke Hoth pilot. He won on points in the last round. I then went on to play a Boba BH with bothan noble squad. Second round I killed 2 of the bothans. Third round was set up with Vader ready to LT5 the other two Bothans for the win and then Boba disintigrated him. It was the last shot too. Doh! Even with the disintigration I probably could have stalled and won on points but opted instead to play it out since I already had the 1 loss.

It was pretty disappointing to lose in the 4th round the way I did but it happens and it was my fault for not keeping better track of his activations. Otherwise It would have been me playing the winner of regionals for the championship. As a side note the winner is the guy that I refer to as an excellent player in this thread. So I would have had a good shot at beating him. Tonight we are going to play at our LGS. I will post the results of our match.
imyurhukaberry
Posted: Tuesday, June 9, 2009 8:55:24 AM
Groups: Member , Moderator

Definitely disappointing. I always get on our guys about keeping track of activations (per the DCI rules regarding them) and making it easy to see which ones have and haven't been activated for all players involved.
owaller3
Posted: Tuesday, June 9, 2009 1:28:23 PM

Played the winner of NJ regionals. I won map chose Muunilist Commerce. Game went 4 rounds since most of the time it was positioning and repositioning. At one point I had the opportunity to either kill Dash or put another 40dmg on GOWK. I chose the later. Game went another 2 rounds. I didn't get a chance to kill GOWK but I was able to keep Vader, Dash and the Emperor alive. I ended up winning by 2 points since he killed 3 ugs, Dignitary, and Jagged for a total of 24 points and I killed two ugs and had 4 gambit for a total of 26. Could have won by more if I gripped his Dash instead of GOWK.