RegisterDonateLogin

Is supposed to know a power socket from a computer terminal.

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Members

Core Worlds Open (Tournament) Options
theultrastar
Posted: Monday, February 24, 2014 10:29:30 AM
Groups: Member

Monday, March 3rd, in Jamestown TN, we are doing the Core Worlds Open!

Can't make it to Jamestown? Well that's fine, because you can compete with us on VASSAL!

Games start 9am Central Time. 10am Eastern. 7am for anyone who may be on the west coast. I have no idea what that is NZ time.

Top 4, will advance to the Coruscant Classic (which will take place Monday April 7th) to play for the Championship. For 100 dollars cash.

Free to play tournament. No entrance fee. To receive the prize cash, you only need to have a Paypal account.

Sign up here if you would like to participate! Sign ups end Sunday, March 2nd 11:59pm.

Please have the current version of Vassal, AND Skype to participate with us.

Quick note: Until the mess with Daala and the Zygerrian is sorted out, both are banned from this tournament.

Here is how the tournament works... Each participant must submit 9 squads. One for each faction, however you may substitute one faction for FRINGE if you so wish. Your squad will be chosen at random from round to round, you will not ever use the same squad twice. Have a map for each squad you wish to use. You may use the same map more than once.

Once you have registered here, message me here on Bloo with your squad list. Names only as listed here on Bloo. Feel free to keep the squad private until game time. You are only required to reveal your squad at game time.

Hope to have some of you along to play with us! Until then, May The Force Be With You...
DarthRattlehead
Posted: Monday, February 24, 2014 12:41:54 PM

cool idea :)
thats 4am Tuesday morning over here in NZ..

unfortunately its not a public holiday so we'll be at work and probably can't sit on vassal all day! :)

:)
Rich
pegolego
Posted: Monday, February 24, 2014 12:44:49 PM

I'd love to try this. Soccer season is about to kick in though... First game is March 6th. I'll have to see, but I hope I can make it over Smile

Also, I assume we would be playing 200 point squads?
FlyingArrow
Posted: Monday, February 24, 2014 1:18:19 PM
Groups: Member , Moderator

So 9 squads - from any of the 10 factions (counting Fringe). Is that right? Could you submit a Fringe squad as all 9 squads, since Fringe can go into any faction?
Deathwielded
Posted: Monday, February 24, 2014 1:35:22 PM

I would be game if I can get Vassel to work online. Smile (works great offline, I just need some practice online) I don't know about Skype... I guess I could get my phone to work it. Bored

I haven't ever done a mini's tournament before, so I probably will need to research all the rules first (most I'm pretty sure I know) Like for example: I'm not sure were the Gambit falls on each map.

I really like the 9 squads for 9 factions format, I definitely could come up with something Wink

Another question is would we be playing Swiss elimination?

I probably won't win anything, but I would have lots a fun and would run some unconventional squad types.Woot

Edit: by win I meant any of the top places Laugh
theultrastar
Posted: Monday, February 24, 2014 1:51:51 PM

It's 200pt standard, formats. Fringe can be in any faction. Just wanted to clear that up. They do not have to be faction pure squads. And as stated, instead of running say Vong, or Rebels or some other faction you can substitute one of the factions for a Fringe pure squad.
theultrastar
Posted: Monday, February 24, 2014 1:53:16 PM

Deathwielded wrote:
I would be game if I can get Vassel to work online. Smile (works great offline, I just need some practice online) I don't know about Skype... I guess I could get my phone to work it. Bored

I haven't ever done a mini's tournament before, so I probably will need to research all the rules first (most I'm pretty sure I know) Like for example: I'm not sure were the Gambit falls on each map.

I really like the 9 squads for 9 factions format, I definitely could come up with something Wink

Another question is would we be playing Swiss elimination?

I probably won't win anything, but I would have lots a fun and would run some unconventional squad types.Woot

Edit: by win I meant any of the top places Laugh

We will be playing swiss, and it's going to be a very fun atmosphere. If you have not done a tournament before, no worries! It's all about having fun!
shmi15
Posted: Tuesday, February 25, 2014 8:09:39 AM

Schedule clear And Open For Me!
FlyingArrow
Posted: Tuesday, February 25, 2014 8:18:36 AM
Groups: Member , Moderator

How many rounds of Swiss? What are the times of the skirmishes?
theultrastar
Posted: Tuesday, February 25, 2014 8:23:35 AM

There will be 4 rounds of swiss. Tournament starts at 9am. So first game kicks off at 9, second game should be a little after 10, third 11, and we'll wrap around noon.
DARPH NADER
Posted: Tuesday, February 25, 2014 10:46:22 AM

Unfortunately my work schedule will preclude my participation. Great idea though.
theultrastar
Posted: Tuesday, February 25, 2014 12:18:34 PM

That's too bad Gerry, always fun playing against you.
Galactic Funk
Posted: Tuesday, February 25, 2014 1:27:45 PM

Yeah I agree, fantastic idea. Alas, I can't participate either but good luck. Hope you have a great turnout!
theultrastar
Posted: Tuesday, February 25, 2014 3:50:18 PM

Galactic Funk wrote:
Yeah I agree, fantastic idea. Alas, I can't participate either but good luck. Hope you have a great turnout!

Thanks! And honestly I'm not expecting many to participate. I am hoping for a few, because I would like to run this on a much bigger scale in the future. This is a trial run by all means.
TimmerB123
Posted: Wednesday, February 26, 2014 6:51:28 AM

I'd like to try this, it sounds awesome. I LOVE the random squad concept. WAAAAY back in the day - when there was only Rebel Storm and Clone Strike - we did a summer league. You had to play each person in the league once. You could choose a different squad each time, and pick it based on your opponent. The catch was, once you played a fig - you could never play it again. You could play multiple of the same non-unique in one game, but then you couldn't use them after that. I understand this is a little different, but I love the fact that it changes each round.

For me the challenge will be getting Vassal up to speed and running on my Mac by Monday.
Deathwielded
Posted: Thursday, February 27, 2014 2:19:24 PM

theultrastar wrote:
Galactic Funk wrote:

Thanks! And honestly I'm not expecting many to participate. I am hoping for a few, because I would like to run this on a much bigger scale in the future. This is a trial run by all means.

I really hope you do have more like this with the same tournament type. (changing factions, must enter 9 squads)
I really hope I can get everything together to join you guys!
I didn't realize that March was so soon!Scared (were did February go?)
Teller
Posted: Saturday, March 1, 2014 8:45:34 PM

On a Monday? That's crazy...
theultrastar
Posted: Sunday, March 2, 2014 5:38:01 AM

Teller wrote:
On a Monday? That's crazy...

It's on a Monday by design, as I'm hoping to attract a few select players to the tournament as opposed to 15 - 20 plus players. Like I said, this is a test run, for something I want to do on a much larger scale.

And I've been called crazy a few times before, I wear it as a badge of honor.
TimmerB123
Posted: Sunday, March 2, 2014 11:46:10 AM

Alright - I'm in.
Deathwielded
Posted: Sunday, March 2, 2014 12:21:41 PM

Same here, I'm sending my squad list soon.