RegisterDonateLogin

It's against Bloo Milk's programming to impersonate a deity.

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Members

Rolling Mini of the Day (Urai Fen) Options
thereisnotry
Posted: Wednesday, May 21, 2014 1:48:59 PM
Groups: Member

Yeah, I really like Dr. Evazan CG. He played a crucial role in several of my games in 2012, when I ran GOWK/Mace/Rex to the top of the Championship. Healing a tank like GOWK or a beast like Mace, both of whom can FPRR twice, is pretty sweet.

However, in the 300pt tournament in West NY State last year, I also killed my chances by rolling poorly to kill off BOTH my 30hp Rex AND my 30hp Capt Panaka, in the SAME game! That was...not a good day. :)
TimmerB123
Posted: Wednesday, May 21, 2014 2:08:43 PM

TheHutts wrote:
Dr. Evazan, Galactic Criminal, from Cantina Brawl

Quote:
16 points, Fringe
Hit Points: 50
Defense: 15
Attack: 5
Damage: 10

Special Abilities
Unique
Avoid Defeat (Whenever this character would be defeated, make 2 saves, each needing 11; if both succeed, this character has 10 Hit Points instead of being defeated)
Emergency Life Support (Adjacent living allies gain Avoid Defeat)
Homicidal Surgery 30 (Replaces attacks: touch; deal 30 damage to a living character. An allied character can instead remove 30 damage from itself with a save of 6.)
Opportunist (+4 Attack and +10 Damage against an enemy who has activated this round)
Rapport (Ponda Baba costs 1 less when in the same squad as this character)

Dr Evazan's original piece was awful, so an update is welcome. While Galactic Criminal is an update of Evazan, he also feels like a Fringe version of the Rebel piece 2-1B, with his combination of Emergency Life Support and Heal 30. But unlike 2-1B's nice cuddly Heal 30, Evazan's has Homicidal Surgery 30, which can hit an living enemy for 30 auto-damage, or heal 30 damage off an ally with a save of 6 - with the caveat that if you fail the save you take 30 damage. While he can be risky, I'm happy to take the chance with anyone with access to force powers for rerolls, and with his Emergency Life Support and his attacking prowess, he's the most cost effective healer in the game. Since Homicidal Surgery 30 replaces attacks, he works well with Captain Tarpals, who allows him to use it twice. He works really well either augmenting rock squads, where he can heal up some of the damage your opponent has worked so hard to put on you and provide Emergency Life Support, or against rock squads - he's great for putting that last 30 damage on Caedus Sith Lord. Evazan is a little luck dependent, but he brings so much to the table that he's a really useful piece - he's a great Lobot choice, but he's also worth mainlining into some builds. 10/10.

My issue with him is the auto 30 damage. That should have been a save as well (save 16). He'd still be awesome, but a little more balanced.
TheHutts
Posted: Wednesday, May 21, 2014 2:09:05 PM

Tonnika Sisters, from Cantina Brawl

Quote:
22 points, Fringe
Hit Points: 80
Defense: 16
Attack: 8
Damage: 20

Special Abilities
Unique
Twin Attack (Whenever this character attacks, she makes 1 extra attack against the same target)
Avoid Defeat (Whenever this character would be defeated, make 2 saves, each needing 11; if both succeed, this character has 10 Hit Points instead of being defeated)
Bounty Hunter +2 (+2 Attack against Unique enemies)
Careful Shot +2 (On this character's turn, if she does not move, she gets +2 Attack)
Stealth (If this character has cover, she does not count as the nearest enemy for an attacker farther than 6 squares when choosing targets)

The best thing about the Tonnika Sisters are the cutesy twin jokes tucked into the design - they cost 22 points, they have twin attack, they have Bounty Hunter + 2, and they have Careful Shot + 2. Otherwise, I think they're a little underwhelming for their cost - with Stealth, I've tried them in a Nom Anor squad, but with a relatively low attack for their cost, they struggle to hit things reliably enough, and there are now better options for a shooter in a Nom Anor squad like Peace Brigade Soldiers. And overall, they just don't stack up too well compared to other Fringe shooter options in the price range, like Rohlan Dyre or Dash Renegade Smuggler. Not everything needs to be a power piece - especially a pair of obscure background characters from the Cantina scene - but the Tonnika Sisters don't have enough punch to see tournament play. 5/10.
Deathwielded
Posted: Thursday, May 22, 2014 5:10:24 AM

TheHutts wrote:
Dr. Evazan, Galactic Criminal, from Cantina Brawl

Quote:
16 points, Fringe
Hit Points: 50

Special Abilities
Unique
Emergency Life Support (Adjacent living allies gain Avoid Defeat)
Homicidal Surgery 30 (Replaces attacks: touch; deal 30 damage to a living character. An allied character can instead remove 30 damage from itself with a save of 6.)
Opportunist (+4 Attack and +10 Damage against an enemy who has activated this round)
Rapport (Ponda Baba costs 1 less when in the same squad as this character)

Dr Evazan's original piece was awful, so an update is welcome. While Galactic Criminal is an update of Evazan, he also feels like a Fringe version of the Rebel piece 2-1B, with his combination of Emergency Life Support and Heal 30. But unlike 2-1B's nice cuddly Heal 30, Evazan's has Homicidal Surgery 30, which can hit an living enemy for 30 auto-damage, or heal 30 damage off an ally with a save of 6 - with the caveat that if you fail the save you take 30 damage. While he can be risky, I'm happy to take the chance with anyone with access to force powers for rerolls, and with his Emergency Life Support and his attacking prowess, he's the most cost effective healer in the game. Since Homicidal Surgery 30 replaces attacks, he works well with Captain Tarpals, who allows him to use it twice. He works really well either augmenting rock squads, where he can heal up some of the damage your opponent has worked so hard to put on you and provide Emergency Life Support, or against rock squads - he's great for putting that last 30 damage on Caedus Sith Lord. Evazan is a little luck dependent, but he brings so much to the table that he's a really useful piece - he's a great Lobot choice, but he's also worth mainlining into some builds. 10/10.

He is really good. Best Healer in the game. Plus since he has Avoid defeat he even has a chance to survive. (never worked for me yet though...)
Deathwielded
Posted: Thursday, May 22, 2014 5:12:55 AM

TimmerB123 wrote:

My issue with him is the auto 30 damage. That should have been a save as well (save 16). He'd still be awesome, but a little more balanced.

I agree, a save on that would be something, to many times has his auto damage been a deciding factor! Still I really like him
TheHutts
Posted: Thursday, May 22, 2014 2:44:48 PM

Jedi Battlemaster, from Jedi Academy

Quote:
27 points, Old Republic
Hit Points: 110
Defense: 19
Attack: 11

Special Abilities
Melee Attack (Can attack only adjacent enemies)
Double Attack (On his turn, this character can make 1 extra attack instead of moving)
Lightsaber Duelist (+4 Defense when attacked by an adjacent enemy with a Force rating)

Force Powers
Force 4
Force Leap (Force 1: This turn, this character can move through enemy characters without provoking attacks of opportunity)
Lightsaber Assault (Force 1, replaces attacks: Make 2 attacks)
Lightsaber Block (Force 1: When hit by a melee attack, this character takes no damage with a save of 11)
Lightsaber Deflect (Force 1: When hit by a nonmelee attack, this character takes no damage with a save of 11)

Apart from a couple of oddball shooters - the high damage but low survivability Atton Rand, and the useful but overcosted Mira - the Old Republic really had very little going for them before the v-sets, apart from this excellent non-unique Jedi. Hilariously, probably the best Old Republic squad available before the v-sets was probably seven Jedi Battlemasters with three Ugnaughts. With 110 hit points and a suite of useful force powers, they're very strong for 27 points - the only real downside is the slightly low attack of +11, although low attacks and good defenses are part of the Old Republic's flavour.

Once the Battlemasters got some good support in the v-sets, especially with Bastila Jedi Master, a squad with three Battlemasters was strong enough to win GenCon in 2011 with Jester007:

Quote:

Bastila's Battlemasters
Bastila Shan, Jedi Master
Jedi Battlemasters x3
Jedi Seer
Lobot
Old Republic Senator
R7 Astromech Droid
Mouse Droid x2
Ugnaught Demolitionist

Even after a bunch of v-sets, they're still the gold standard for non-unique Jedi, not just for Old Republic but the whole game. At the same time, it is often tempting to pay the extra 10 points for Satele, since built in parry is great in a melee interference piece, but the Battlemaster is still a Tier 1 piece, 10/10.
TheHutts
Posted: Thursday, May 22, 2014 4:39:06 PM

Dannik Jerriko, Bounty Hunter, from Cantina Brawl

Quote:
25 points, Fringe
Hit Points: 70
Defense: 18
Attack: 10

Special Abilities
Unique
Bounty Hunter +2 (+2 Attack against Unique enemies)
Drain Life Energy (Whenever he defeats an adjacent living enemy, remove all damage from this character)
Proboscises (Replaces turn: Make an attack at +10 Damage against an adjacent living enemy. If this attack hits, that enemy is considered activated this round; save 11.)
Regeneration 10 (If this character doesn't move on his turn, remove 10 damage from him at the end of that turn)
Stealth (If this character has cover, he does not count as the nearest enemy for an attacker farther than 6 squares when choosing targets)

Force Powers
Force 2
Jedi Mind Trick (Force 1, usable only on this character's turn: range 2; target living enemy is considered activated this round and cannot make attacks of opportunity this turn; save 11)

Cantina Brawl's Dannik Jerriko is noteworthy as a v-set update of a WOTC piece that's not markedly different than the original - he gains +1 defense, +1 attack, +10 damage, loses cunning, gains bounty hunter +2, gains regeneration, and gains a force rating with 2 force points and Jedi Mind Trick. Overall, the v-set version is a step or two stronger for only 2 extra points - and since the original had a couple of very unique abilities with Proboscises and Drain Life Energy, the very faithful update does make sense. Even given that this v-set version is stronger, I still don't think there's a lot of competitive potential here; he's not a heavy hitter for 25 points, and with 70 hit points, if a tier 1 squad is focusing on taking him down, regeneration and drain life energy won't help him survive significantly. His best faction is probably Sith with Exar Kun Dark Force Spirit to make his Proboscices and Jedi Mind Trick saves very difficult. He's certainly a fun casual piece, with soup of life flavour, but I wouldn't expect to see him on the competitive tables anytime soon. 6/10.
FlyingArrow
Posted: Thursday, May 22, 2014 5:08:27 PM
Groups: Member , Moderator

I've never put him on the table to see if he's worthwhile, but he doesn't look like it.

He would be a great option to kill a Klatooinian Assassin, though. Especially with Talon where he his at +14/30 for auto-kills. And has a movement breaker to move 12 to reach them. It would take 3 of them (with +10dmg from Talon) hitting him to kill him. As long as he survives, then Drain Life Energy's "Whenever he defeats an adjacent living enemy" is simultaneous with Self-Destruct. So choose to let Self-Destruct happen first... as long as it doesn't kill Dannik then he can go back to full life with Drain Life Energy. Or if he happens to be close to dead, heal first and then take the damage to go back to 50hp. The problem is there's a good chance that he is outactivated and 3 Klats can line up shots on him in one round. Then he's dead.
TheHutts
Posted: Thursday, May 22, 2014 8:38:07 PM

Scout Trooper Officer, from Destiny of the Force

Quote:
14 points, Imperial
Hit Points: 40
Defense: 18

Special Abilities
Grenades 10 (Replaces attacks: range 6; 10 damage to target and to each character adjacent to that target; save 11)
Stealth (If this character has cover, he does not count as the nearest enemy for an attacker farther than 6 squares when choosing targets)

Commander Effect
Imperial troopers in your squad with Stealth (including this character) and who have cover cannot be targeted by nonadjacent enemies. Imperial allies named Scout Trooper gain Grenades 10.

Apart from Nom Anor, who also hands out self-destruct, I'm not a big fan of super stealth - the chances of running into accurate shot seem low enough that it's not efficient to pay for super-stealth when you already have steath, and I think pieces like the Rebel Commando Strike Leader are seriously overrated. Having said that, super stealth is a lot more viable in Imperials, where the applicable commander can be bought in or out via Pellaeon. Of course, in Imperials, the Scout Trooper Officer is competing for playtime against Moff Nyna Calixte, who helps out with a more general range of squads, and is often found alongside Storm Commandos or Cad Bane and Arica.

All this means that the Scout Trooper Officer is relatively marginalised, but it does have niche in Daala squads with the Elite Scout Troopers - as pegolego has shown in the Tennessee Regional this week, Elite Scout Troopers can be powerful in tournaments. Since they already have Stealth and Evade, they only really need super stealth in a handful of matchups - I'd probably only bother against multiple strong accurate shooters - but in Daala squads the Officer is a better option than Nyna, since it picks up Charging Fire from Daala and is slightly cheaper. Normally I give an 8 to pieces with a competitive role, but the Scout Trooper Officer's tournament role is so marginal - a Pellaeon option in a very finite number of matchups - that I think a fairer grade would be 7/10.
TheHutts
Posted: Friday, May 23, 2014 9:12:23 PM

Jedi Master K'Kruhk, from Command of the Galaxy

Quote:
34 points, New Republic
Hit Points: 130
Defense: 20
Attack: 13
Damage: 30

Special Abilities
Unique
Double Attack (On his turn, this character can make 1 extra attack instead of moving)
Intuition (Once per round, after initiative is determined, this character can immediately move up to his speed before any other character activates)

Force Powers
Force 2
Force Renewal 1 (This character gets 1 Force point each time he activates)
Force Heal 30 (Force 2, replaces attacks: touch; remove 30 damage from a living character)
Force Sense (Force 1, usable only on this character's turn: Enemy characters lose Stealth for the rest of the round)
Leaping Assault (Force 2, replaces turn: Move this character to any unoccupied square within 6 squares. This move does not provoke attacks of opportunity. After moving, this character may still make all of its attacks this turn.)
Lightsaber Block (Force 1: When hit by a melee attack, this character takes no damage with a save of 11)

Another really fun New Republic Jedi, K'Kruhk's notable for his speed - with Intuition and Leaping Assault, he can get across the board and into an enemy's face very quickly. With 130 hit points, avoid defeat, and block, he does look strong for 34 points, but balancing this, he has no defence against shooters and it's expensive to get him over the 60 damage boundary - I think that Celeste/Watto or Gantoris/Exar DFS are the only options to do this in New Republic. When you consider that a lot of crucial pieces are around the 70-80 hp mark - Cad Bane, Dash RS, Captain Rex, Thrawn, and Talon Kardde IB to name a few - a deep strike piece that only does 60 damage is far less powerful than one that can drop 70 or 80, as Embo can in a Talon Kardde build. I'm just saying this to underline that this K'Krukh is nowhere near broken - but he still a useful piece, although he's more suited to the role of a secondary attacker behind a Mara Jade Jedi or Kyp Durron Jedi Master. I haven't seen mention of him on the competitive tables yet, but I think he has some potential. 8/10.
TheHutts
Posted: Saturday, May 24, 2014 12:19:00 AM

Raxus Prime Trooper, from The Force Unleashed

Quote:
5 points, Imperial
Hit Points: 10

Special Abilities
Wall Climber (This character ignores difficult terrain, enemy characters, low objects, and pits when moving as long as a square he occupies and a square he is moving into are adjacent to a wall)

From a design perspective, the Raxus Prime Trooper is a really silly concept. The Storm Trooper was already a strong piece for 5 points; the Raxus Prime is a marked improvement, with interchangeable stats (+1 attack, -1 defense) and the addition of Wall Climber, a very significant Special Ability. Compounding the superiority of Raxus over vanilla Stormies is the fact that the only Imperial commander who helps Storm Troopers and not Raxus Prime Troopers is Darth Vader Agent of Evil. So apart from Vader Agent of Evil squads, the vanilla Storm Trooper is just about obselete, where otherwise it would be still a really good piece, especially with the addition of Admiral Daala. Dr Daman has taken full advantage of the Raxus Prime's abilities, performing exceptionally well with a Raxus Prime squad that demonstrates a deep knowledge of hitherto underutilised Imperial pieces:

Quote:
--Daala in Her Prime V2.0--
27 Admiral Daala
20 Admiral Piett
16 Admiral Gilad Pellaeon
16 Grand Admiral Rulf Yage
14 Imperial Officer
14 Stormtrooper on Repulsor Sled
11 Captain Needa
8 Mas Amedda
8 R7 Astromech Droid
60 Raxus Prime Trooper x12
6 Ugnaught Demolitionist x2
(200pts. 23 activations)

It may not look quite so intimidating on paper, but a swarm of Raxus who can move unpredictably with wall climber, and who with Needa's reroll CE are effectively at +17, is very hard to handle.

As well as in Daala squads, the Raxus is also excellent as a swap piece - while the Amanin Scout is better in this roll (pun intended) with its speed 18, the Raxus is also a good option with its wall climber, and it's probably worth mainlining into a lot of swap squads in case you want something different from reserves rather than the Amanin.

The Raxus is obviously a very useful piece, but I do think in hindsight obsoleting the Storm Trooper was unnecessary - at 6 points the Raxus would still be great. As it stands, it's a simply amazing 5 point piece, 10/10.
TheHutts
Posted: Saturday, May 24, 2014 7:48:42 PM

R2-D2, from Rebel Storm

Quote:
8 points, Rebel
Hit Points: 30
Defense: 17
Attack: 0
Damage: 0

Special Abilities
Unique
Droid (Immune to critical hits; not subject to commander effects)
Override (At the end of his turn, this character can designate 1 door that he can see as open or closed; it remains open or closed until the end of this character's next turn, or until he is defeated)
Repair 10 (Replaces attacks: touch; remove 10 damage from 1 Droid character)

Talking of strong pieces from Rebel Storm that became obsoleted.... R2-D2 was the original broken piece, shaping the entire metagame. I wasn't playing during Rebel Storm, so here's the explanation from NickName, taken from the excellent resource at http://community.wizards.com/forum/squad-critique/threads/1099366

Quote:
Override quickly became the dominant tactic. With the standard tiebreaker rules it was possible to get a small lead, then use Override to lock any door your opponent tried to come through slowing them down enough or completely until time runs out and the player with the lead wins. While not every player would employ this tactic, the threat of it was enough to shape the metagame

Team Campsite:
50 Boba Fett
27 Han Solo
13 Princess Leia Senator
08 R2-D2

Team Campsite quickly got a reputation as a squad to beat. It employed the R2 Override tactics to the extreme. Using Accurate Shot, and Leia’s CE as a faux Mobile Attack, it could pick off a single insignificant piece, avoid counter attacks, and stall its way to victory. Of course, not every player was willing to employ the tactic to its full potential, but even without stalling for the win, the combination of abilities allowed splitting enemy squads up using Override and picking them apart piecemeal while absorbing little return fire.

The Dynamic Duo:
60 Darth Vader Sith Lord
40 Emperor Palpatine

This squad evolved as an easy to play counter to Team Campsite. It could camp near the middle under cover and win the tiebreak if TC didn’t go on the offensive. Lightning was a sure method of destroying R2 when within range, and Vader’s defense and HP were high enough to deal with run and gun Accurate Shooters.

As we know, the game has evolved so every faction has access to door control, with Ugnaughts and R7s in Fringe, meaning that the lockout win is much more difficult to achieve. And the original broken piece now struggles to see play against the R7, which has 10 more hit points and Ion Shielding, and against R2 with Extended Sensor who brings It's A Trap and Recon. It once was broken good, now it's just a footnote; is R2-D2 SWM biggest riches to rags story? 2/10.
TheHutts
Posted: Saturday, May 24, 2014 11:04:29 PM

C-3PO, Ewok Deity, from Imperial Entanglements

Quote:
5 points, Rebel
Defense: 16
Attack: 0
Damage: 0

Special Abilities
Unique
Droid (Immune to critical hits; not subject to commander effects)
Speed 0
Disruptive (Suppresses enemy commander effects within 6 squares)
Draw Fire (If an enemy targets an ally within 6 squares of this character, you may force that enemy to target this character instead if it can; save 11)
Evade (When hit by an attack from a nonadjacent enemy, this character takes no damage with a save of 11)

One of the most ridiculed pieces in the game, C-3PO Ewok Deity is an amazing piece for the cost, with one glaring weakness, his Speed 0. The intent of this, with Luke Rebel Commando in the same set, is presumably to allow gamers to recreate that part of Return of the Jedi when Luke is levitating C-3PO around. But in reality, it's generally more efficient to leave C-3PO on the bench, use other pieces for Disruptive and Evade, and use Luke to levitate attackers like Han Smuggler to set up shots. Despite this, C-3PO is at least mildly interesting - reading through the comments on his Character page, I do like Weeks' suggestion that C-3PO could be used to protect your commander's area with draw fire and disruptive - in some metas it might be a worthwhile investment. And if you can be bothered tying up Luke to get C-3PO into the action, you do get a lot out of 5 points for C-3PO Ewok Diety - it's just that the Rebels are spoiled for good tech pieces, and it's probably not the most efficient solution to drop 5 points on this oddball piece. But there are far worse pieces out there; 4/10.
Darth O
Posted: Sunday, May 25, 2014 4:11:47 AM

FlyingArrow wrote:
I've never put him on the table to see if he's worthwhile, but he doesn't look like it.

He would be a great option to kill a Klatooinian Assassin, though. Especially with Talon where he his at +14/30 for auto-kills. And has a movement breaker to move 12 to reach them. It would take 3 of them (with +10dmg from Talon) hitting him to kill him. As long as he survives, then Drain Life Energy's "Whenever he defeats an adjacent living enemy" is simultaneous with Self-Destruct. So choose to let Self-Destruct happen first... as long as it doesn't kill Dannik then he can go back to full life with Drain Life Energy. Or if he happens to be close to dead, heal first and then take the damage to go back to 50hp. The problem is there's a good chance that he is outactivated and 3 Klats can line up shots on him in one round. Then he's dead.

Very clever, I never would have thought of that.
Darth O
Posted: Sunday, May 25, 2014 4:13:33 AM

TheHutts wrote:

I've now covered 79 of the 790 WOTC pieces - that's 10%. Can I give myself some kind of badge?

If you keep up the great job, I'll nominate you for a knighthood.
harryg
Posted: Sunday, May 25, 2014 6:16:32 AM

Darth O wrote:
TheHutts wrote:

I've now covered 79 of the 790 WOTC pieces - that's 10%. Can I give myself some kind of badge?

If you keep up the great job, I'll nominate you for a knighthood.

Now I have a vivid image of a Hutt jousting in full Middle Age armor."Sir Jabba, I dub thee Knight!"
TheHutts
Posted: Sunday, May 25, 2014 5:26:24 PM

Royal Guard, from Rebel Storm

Quote:
11 points, Imperial
Defense: 17

Special Abilities
Emperor's Bodyguard (If Emperor Palpatine is an adjacent ally and would take damage from an attack, this character can take the damage instead)

The Royal Guards aren't awful for 11 points, but they don't have very much support in Imperials. They can get Opportunist from Thrawn, like every other piece, and they're outclassed by Fringe melee pieces like the Massiff. Their Emperor's Bodyguard ability is limited enough in scope that it's primarily thematic, and Imperial don't have appropriate support for a melee swarm. 2/10.
scruffyhan
Posted: Sunday, May 25, 2014 5:36:38 PM

I just want to point out that you led with the statement "The Royal Guards aren't awful fo 11 points." and ended by rating them a 3/10. Sounds pretty awful to me. When they were released this was not a piece anyone was going crazy over. I never opened a Revenge of The Sith Booster and said "OH S***! I pulled a Royal Guard!"

On the flip side he has a cool sculpt?
harryg
Posted: Sunday, May 25, 2014 5:39:55 PM

scruffyhan wrote:
I just want to point out that you led with the statement "The Royal Guards aren't awful fo 11 points." and ended by rating them a 3/10. Sounds pretty awful to me. When they were released this was not a piece anyone was going crazy over. I never opened a Revenge of The Sith Booster and said "OH S***! I pulled a Royal Guard!"

On the flip side he has a cool sculpt?

3/10 isn't awful, 1/10 is awful. 3/10 is bad, not awful. He didn't say people were going crazy for them, he was just saying they weren't as bad as say, the arcona smuggler or klatoonian enforcer
TheHutts
Posted: Sunday, May 25, 2014 5:42:42 PM

I find it hard to find anything interesting to write about a mediocre piece like the Royal Guard - there aren't any real uses for it, but it's not Arcona Smuggler bad either. I don't think I did a very good job, but it's hard to come up with anything interesting or insightful. I'm still undecided if he's a 2 or a 3 - he feels like he's around a 2.5.

The fact that the sculpt is good, and that it's the official proxy for Mandalore the Vindicated, is probably his best selling point.