RegisterDonateLogin

Is going down a path you can follow.

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Members

Rolling Mini of the Day (Urai Fen) Options
General_Grievous
Posted: Thursday, April 28, 2016 7:15:39 PM
Groups: Member

I absolutely love reserves and it's my favourite play style, unfortunately it's tricky to make regional good but I think this guy and Wat are the key to a good one
TheHutts
Posted: Thursday, April 28, 2016 7:42:28 PM

I think Seps have the best chance at competitive reserves, simply because you can't simply block them with an MTB.
CorellianComedian
Posted: Thursday, April 28, 2016 7:54:03 PM

TheHutts wrote:
I think Seps have the best chance at competitive reserves, simply because you can't simply block them with an MTB.

Maybe some cheap Fringe Reserves piece with Reserves on a 1 would be a good way to go? Not casually-drop-in-with-Lobot cheap, but something in the 25-point range for Reserve squads to mainline to protect against MTB shutdowns. If you're playing reserves anyways, switching one of your groupings over to Fringe shouldn't make that much of a difference.
TheHutts
Posted: Monday, May 2, 2016 1:37:24 PM

Oops - thank you!
Shaddai
Posted: Tuesday, May 10, 2016 1:47:35 PM

TheHutts wrote:
Count Dooku, from Clone Strike

Quote:
Hit Points: 130
Defense: 21
Attack: 16
Damage: 20

This ol' Dooku is omitted from your index list on page 1. He's on page 23. While you're editing there, you have something listed as Clone Strike on page 65. I think that's supposed to be Darth Maul.

Why does the picture lack the blue lightning shooting off his hand? It is a mystery, and definitely this piece's main distinguishing feature. But that question is less for you than it is for shinja. :-)
TheHutts
Posted: Wednesday, May 11, 2016 12:38:25 PM

Thank you! Fixed.

I understand that the Lightning used to fall off a lot?
TimmerB123
Posted: Saturday, July 16, 2016 8:34:00 AM

Crying
TimmerB123
Posted: Thursday, August 25, 2016 10:08:09 AM

Naarkon
Posted: Thursday, August 25, 2016 10:52:17 AM

TimmerB123 wrote:

+1
General_Grievous
Posted: Friday, August 26, 2016 2:31:23 PM

Naarkon wrote:
TimmerB123 wrote:

+1

+2
CorellianComedian
Posted: Friday, August 26, 2016 6:59:14 PM

General_Grievous wrote:
Naarkon wrote:
TimmerB123 wrote:

+1

+2

+3
TheHutts
Posted: Wednesday, April 5, 2017 3:03:23 PM

I never really said goodbye to this, but I just lost the joy out of it and didn't really feel like continuing - part of the reason is that I also started putting more effort into play-testing.

One reason I originally did this was to quantify that v-set pieces aren't stronger than the strongest WOTC pieces. My theory has always been that a lot of them align with the upper tier of WOTC pieces, but don't surpass them - we've seen very few v-set pieces on the power level of General Dodonna, the IG-Lancer, and R2 Astromech. It might sound petty, but the fact that v-set detractors continued to complain about v-set power levels in the face of quantitative data frustrated me. IMO the v-sets have created extreme builds that are problematic - like Charging Fire Imperial Troopers with Prideful - and can be more complex, but the power creep of individual pieces hasn't been very pronounced, especially compared to what WOTC did over their 6 years.

If anyone wants to carry it on or do something similar, feel free - I have a spreadsheet of all my ratings that I can pass onto someone.

I've also been putting my writing/creative energy into another area; years ago I used to run an album review site, and I decided to bring it back rather than carry on with Rolling Mini of the Day, partly because I like something that I have full control over. If anyone's interested, there's some coverage of KezzamachineII's music here: https://albumreviews.blog/reviews/2000s-reviews/the-wolf-the-warrior-the-boy-kerry-logan/, or you can view the homepage here: https://albumreviews.blog/. Of course popular music is a much larger and more subjective field than Star Wars Miniatures, and everyone has their own preferences; it's very possible that your music preferences doesn't align with mine at all.
General_Grievous
Posted: Wednesday, April 5, 2017 8:26:41 PM

Nice to hear from you Hutts! I've missed the rolling mini as well! But glad you are still writing and hope one day you'll bring some of your talent back on here haha. Appreciate the update though
osumatthew
Posted: Saturday, August 27, 2022 7:15:30 AM

I understand that this thread is essentially dead, with the last post being 5 years ago, but I just wanted to say that I appreciate the detailed character reviews and ratings, and would love to see something comparable return someday.

However, I have to say, I think that this thread essentially proved the opposite of what the original argument was. It provides an extremely strong case that the V-sets have sharply power-creeped the game. This is demonstrated, not only by the graphs detailing the rating breakdowns of WOTC pieces vs V-set pieces, but also by so many of the reviews on here. There are so many where we have pieces that are noted would be reasonable or worth experimenting with...except they're outclassed or made irrelevant by X, Y, and/or Z V-set pieces. It's rather frustrating that Hutts makes so many of these observations, but still insists that there was no meaningful power creep from the V-sets.
FlyingArrow
Posted: Saturday, August 27, 2022 10:41:34 AM
Groups: Member , Moderator

osumatthew wrote:
I understand that this thread is essentially dead, with the last post being 5 years ago, but I just wanted to say that I appreciate the detailed character reviews and ratings, and would love to see something comparable return someday.

However, I have to say, I think that this thread essentially proved the opposite of what the original argument was. It provides an extremely strong case that the V-sets have sharply power-creeped the game. This is demonstrated, not only by the graphs detailing the rating breakdowns of WOTC pieces vs V-set pieces, but also by so many of the reviews on here. There are so many where we have pieces that are noted would be reasonable or worth experimenting with...except they're outclassed or made irrelevant by X, Y, and/or Z V-set pieces. It's rather frustrating that Hutts makes so many of these observations, but still insists that there was no meaningful power creep from the V-sets.

WotC left us with ~800 or 900 pieces, but only ~100 or 200 that were even playable in a competitive tournament, with only about 50 of them being power pieces. 600+ WotC pieces were obsoleted by WotC. The Vset pieces have always been designed for the most part with a power level targeted to those top ~100 to 200 WotC pieces. When you consider 1000+ Vset pieces since 2010, with 750+ of them targeted to that power level, the Vsets by volume dominate the competitive scene. There has been power creep, but it's been far, far slower than the WotC power creep, and the top WotC templates (e.g. Skybuck or Black & Blue) can still compete with a few tweaks.
Cassus fett
Posted: Saturday, August 27, 2022 11:25:05 AM

osumatthew wrote:

You've also got to account for the time frame. When theHutts was really in the swing of this most of the V-Set pieces that were super powerful were just coming out. V-Set 5-8 might be the greatest run of powerful pieces (and the golden age of V-Sets imo). Caedus Sithlord and Daala came back to back. So it looks worse than it was/is. V-Set 9 is mostly garbage and a significant power drop from 8. Then power levels increased again in V-set 10, just not as bad as the 5-8 spike.