RegisterDonateLogin

Come on, admit it. Sometimes you think it's all right.

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Members

Rolling Mini of the Day (Urai Fen) Options
TheHutts
Posted: Monday, November 16, 2015 7:43:34 PM
Groups: Member

Wookiee Soldier, from Rebel Storm

Quote:
7 points, Rebel
Hit Points: 30
Defense: 12
Attack: 6
Damage: 10

Special Abilities
Cleave (Once per turn, if this character defeats an adjacent enemy by making an attack, he can make 1 immediate attack against another adjacent enemy)
Melee Attack (Can attack only adjacent enemies)

I've never noticed the Wookiee Soldier before, but he's certainly not too bad - give him an Ithorian Commander, Rieekan, and Han in STA, and he's suddenly a viable piece. There are more common options for a Ithorian Commander squad, like the Aqualish Assassin with Stealth and Opportunist, but Cleave makes the Wookiee a good option to take out a couple of fodder pieces. 5/10.
TheHutts
Posted: Tuesday, November 17, 2015 3:41:06 PM

Bombad General Jar Jar Binks on Kaadu, from Vehicles of War

Quote:
29 points, Republic
Hit Points: 70
Defense: 18
Attack: 8

Special Abilities
Unique
Gungan
Speed 10 (Can move up to 10 squares and attack, or 20 squares without attacking)
Bombad General (Once per round, at the end of this character's turn, choose one enemy within line of sight; for the rest of this round, allied Gungans ignore cover when targeting that enemy)
Distraction (Suppresses adjacent enemy commander effects)
Draw Fire (If an enemy targets an ally within 6 squares of this character, you may force that enemy to target this character instead if it can; save 11)
Galloping Attack (As this character moves, he can attack each adjacent enemy, +4 Attack; this turn, this character cannot attack any enemy twice and cannot move directly back into a space he has just left. This ability is usable only on this character's turn.)
Momentum (If this character has moved this turn, he gets +4 Attack and +10 Damage against adjacent enemies)

Commander Effect
Gungan allies within 6 squares get +4 Defense.

Movement breakers are such a large part of the Republic faction that anything with a large base is even more disadvantaged than in other factions. A large based piece can't benefit from Panaka's swap, Foul's lift, or R2's tow, leaving them to move themselves around, which can be tough when the Republic don't have any tempo control. This makes Jar Jar on Kaadu a tougher piece to utilise - there's obviously a very good piece here otherwise, since Galloping Attack and Distraction is a neat combo, meaning that Jar Jar can gallop through Nom Bombs and Geonosian Drones oblivious to their self destruct. Speed 10 and Momentum are also great assets for a strafer.

It's his boosts for Gungans that make him a very solid option for Gungan squads - Bombad General allows Gungans to get around Cloaked and Stealth, while the defense bonus from his CE is also helpful. There's definitely scope for Jar Jar on Kaadu in competitive Gungan squads, but at the same time, some builds might prefer to use Yoda on Kybuck with Gungans instead since he can benefit from Panaka and R2. Bombad General Jar Jar Binks on Kaadu has a lot going for him, but large base transforms him from a power 10 or 11 to a power 7, and Jar Jar Binks from KOTOR is still the strongest iteration of Jar Jar in the game, 7/10.
TheHutts
Posted: Wednesday, November 18, 2015 6:47:07 PM

Luke's Landspeeder, from Alliance and Empire

Quote:
47 points, Rebel
Hit Points: 140
Defense: 18
Attack: 12
Damage: 20

Special Abilities
Unique
Mobile Attack (Can move both before and after attacking)
Speed 10 (Can move up to 10 squares and attack, or 20 squares without attacking)
Twin Attack (Whenever this character attacks, it makes 1 extra attack against the same target)

Force Powers
Force 6
Force Alter (Force 1: range 6; any 1 enemy rerolls its last attack)
Jedi Mind Trick (Force 1, usable only on this character's turn: range 2; target living enemy is considered activated this round and cannot make attacks of opportunity this turn; save 11)
Lightsaber Deflect (Force 1: When hit by a nonmelee attack, this character takes no damage with a save of 11)

Thematically, I have no idea why Luke's Landspeeder is a combat piece - unless I'm missing something, it was just a method of transportation. But it's a very strong shooter in game - while it's disadvantaged by a large base, it's a mobile twin shooter with plenty of hit points and some useful force powers with Force Alter an. While the attack of 12 isn't super high, Luke and Obi-Wan have plenty of force points for rerolls, and it's also synergises well with key Rebel CEs like Rieekan's Evade, Princess Leia's cannon CE, and Han in STA's Charging Fire. The Landspeeder obviously fills a similar niche to Luke's Snowspeeder from the following set - the Snowspeeder is faster and has flight, but the Landspeeder is more of a tank against melee.

Luke's Landspeeder was part of the squad that was first after Swiss at the GenCon Champs in 2010:
Quote:
Luke's Landspeeder
Ferus Olin
Han Solo on Tauntaun
Princess Leia
Bothan Noble
General Rieekan
General Dodonna
Juno Eclipse
Ugnaught Demolitionist * 6
Mouse Droid *4

Like every Rebel Luke, the Landspeeder faces a lot of competition from other Lukes for a place in a Rebel squad - it's hard to get a place ahead of the levitating Luke Rebel Commando or the beatstick Hero of Endor. But Luke's Landspeeder is a high hit point shooter that fits well into the Rebels, and is still a very good piece, 8/10.
Jakster
Posted: Thursday, November 19, 2015 1:18:20 AM

I think +12 IS high for a shooter, the 2. highest shooter attack ever in the game (WotC), to my knowledge. These kind of comments, which I have read before, confuse me.
TheHutts
Posted: Thursday, November 19, 2015 1:31:16 AM

Jakster wrote:
I think +12 IS high for a shooter, the 2. highest shooter attack ever in the game (WotC), to my knowledge. These kind of comments, which I have read before, confuse me.

I guess, if I was being more precise, most other shooters in that range also have a bonus to their attack:
- Zam Wesell has Bounty Hunter +4
- Mara Jade, Jedi has Cunning Attack
- Han Solo, Corellian Legend has Opportunist

On the other hand, Biggs Darklighter and Kel Dor Bounty Hunter both have +12 attack as well, and they're much cheaper.

I do think the +12 is kind of low on a 47 point piece when there are no other bonuses, but it's balanced out by Force Points for rerolls and high hit points.
FlyingArrow
Posted: Thursday, November 19, 2015 5:49:19 AM
Groups: Member , Moderator

And shooters in most other factions have easy access to a+4 commander effect. Not so in Rebels.
Jakster
Posted: Thursday, November 19, 2015 7:41:33 AM

Well, they have Ackbar. Kind of "Opportunist light", but still.
FlyingArrow
Posted: Thursday, November 19, 2015 8:20:18 AM
Groups: Member , Moderator

True. I should have said a competitive +4 commander effect. Ackbar's CE (for the price) isn't nearly as good as Thrawn or Yularen's Opportunist or GenSky's Momentum or Talon's +4/+10.
fingersandteeth
Posted: Thursday, November 19, 2015 11:39:47 AM

Jakster wrote:

this actually Falls to a 4 way tie between Jango Fett form CS, Rex from GaW and Boba Merc Commander from LotF and Mandalore the Indomitable from BH.

+13 attack before bonuses.
TheHutts
Posted: Thursday, November 19, 2015 1:54:01 PM

Wookiee Trooper, from Knights of the Old Republic

Quote:
11 points, Old Republic
Defense: 15
Attack: 7

Special Abilities
Cleave (Once per turn, if this character defeats an adjacent enemy by making an attack, he can make 1 immediate attack against another adjacent enemy)
Melee Reach 2 (When attacking, this character treats enemies up to 2 squares away as adjacent)
Mighty Swing (On his turn, if this character doesn't move, he gets +10 Damage against adjacent enemies)

This guy seems like a lazy Old Republic port of the Wookiee Soldier from Rebel Storm, also covered on this page. While he seems like a fair scale up in power level from the 7 point Wookiee Soldier, he just doesn't have the support options in Old Republic that the Soldier has in Rebels. While Melee Reach 2 and Cleave is a neat combo, he's going to struggle to close the gap into melee a lot of the time and he's unlikely to utilise Mighty Swing. He's an unreliable scrub killer, and just isn't worth it for 11 points, 3/10.
CorellianComedian
Posted: Thursday, November 19, 2015 2:25:48 PM

But, he's just waiting to become the new v-set piece "Wookiee Bouncer."

That intimidating sculpt is worth 9 points right there.
TheHutts
Posted: Thursday, November 19, 2015 3:17:43 PM

Morrigan Corde, from Scum and Villainy

Quote:
31 points, Fringe
Hit Points: 70
Defense: 19
Attack: 9

Special Abilities
Unique
Agile (This character can move 2 extra squares at the end of her turn)
Bounty Hunter +2 (+2 Attack against Unique enemies)
Charging Fire (Replaces turn: Can move up to double speed, then attack)
Evade (When hit by an attack from a nonadjacent enemy, this character takes no damage with a save of 11)
Suppressive Fire (On this character's turn, enemy characters attacked by this character cannot use special abilities or Force powers that respond to this character's attacks for the rest of the turn and enemies hit by this character's attacks cannot benefit from or grant commander effects for the rest of the round)
Twin Attack (Whenever this character attacks, she makes 1 extra attack against the same target)

Morrigan Corde is arguably the best secondary attacker in the game. While she's not a huge damage dealer for her cost, Suppressive Fire means that her damage is unpreventable and that she's also immune to CE-driven reprisals like death shots. She also has an inbuilt movement breaker with Charging Fire and Agile, which means she can move herself around the board, making her an ideal secondary attacker, as usually the primary attacker is utilising the squad's main movement breaker. Evade means that she's got a reasonable amount of survivability for her cost. Even with Bounty Hunter +2, her attack is a little low, so she does function best in factions where she can gain an attack boost, often Fringe with Talon Kardde or Imperial with Mitt'Thrawn.

Among other builds, she was part of Dr Daman's New Zealand dominating squad in 2013:
Quote:
--Strike the Right Corde--
54 Cad Bane
32 Thrawn (Mitth'raw'nuruodo)
31 Morrigan Corde
27 Lobot
16 Admiral Gilad Pellaeon
11 Admiral Ozzel
8 Mas Amedda
6 Mouse Droid x2
12 Rodian Brute x4
3 Ugnaught Demolitionist
(200pts. 14 activations)

I'd also suggest that Morrigan Corde is going to be huge in this year's coming meta - she's not affected by shooter hate like Obi-Wan Kenobi and Anakin Skywalker's Ranged Defense Expert and Soresu Style Mastery, so I'd expect to see a lot of her, 10/10.
TheHutts
Posted: Sunday, November 22, 2015 2:50:25 PM

Guri, from Universe

Quote:
25 points, Fringe
Hit Points: 90
Defense: 20
Attack: 13

Special Abilities
Unique
Droid (Immune to critical hits; not subject to commander effects)
Cunning Attack (+4 Attack and +10 Damage against an enemy who has not activated this round)
Double Attack (On her turn, this character can make 1 extra attack instead of moving)
Mobile Attack (Can move both before and after attacking)
Stealth (If this character has cover, she does not count as the nearest enemy for an attacker farther than 6 squares when choosing targets)
Xizor's Bodyguard (If Prince Xizor is an adjacent ally and would take damage from an attack, this character can take the damage instead)

As a unique droid, Guri's synergies are limited; her best options are in Separatists with General Grievous Droid Army Commander, who gives her twin, and +4 attack and +4 defense, while she also picks up twin from General Whorm Loathsom. Even then, as a melee piece, she's of limited usefulness, although if you can outactivate and set up for a big double/cunning at the start of the round, she's not too bad. I don't think Guri's going to be the best option in a Separatist squad, and I don't think she has enough support to be viable anywhere else, 5/10.
TheHutts
Posted: Monday, November 23, 2015 2:54:42 PM

Clawdite Infiltrator, from Warfare and Subterfuge

Quote:
18 points, Fringe
Hit Points: 50
Defense: 16
Attack: 7

Special Abilities
Agile (This character can move 2 extra squares at the end of his turn)
Death Strike (+10 Damage against an enemy that is adjacent to an allied character)
Shapeshifter (If this character does not have line of sight to an enemy at the end of its turn, it can't be targeted by nonadjacent enemies until the start of its next turn)

Now that the Klat Assassin is 17 points, we have a whole new set of pieces to compare it to. I like the Clawdite Infiltrator - Shapeshifter plus Agile is a neat game mechanic, and Death Strike's always an underrated damage boost. But where the Clawdite Infiltrator suffers is that low attack: +7 means that you're probably going to always opt for another piece in its place. It's not necessarily a problem, as it's fine to have more thematic pieces, but the low attack on an 18 point piece rules the Clawdite out of competitive play, 5/10.
TheHutts
Posted: Monday, November 23, 2015 3:19:00 PM

Gamorrean Guard, from Rebel Storm

Quote:
9 points, Fringe
Defense: 12
Attack: 4

Special Abilities
Mighty Swing (On his turn, if this character doesn't move, he gets +10 Damage against adjacent enemies)

I can't see any reason to play one of these over the 13 point Gamorrean Bodyguard - the extra 20 hit points and Bodyguard are easily worth paying another 4 points for, and make the difference between a competitively viable piece and an also-ran. 2/10.
jak
Posted: Monday, November 23, 2015 5:28:29 PM

always loved the Gammorrean pose, but they suck so hard that you can't use them in any squads, except maybe theme squadsSad
TheHutts
Posted: Monday, November 23, 2015 6:32:37 PM

Republic Commando Darman, from Renegades and Rogues

Quote:
25 points, Republic
Hit Points: 60
Defense: 17
Attack: 10

Special Abilities
Unique
Omega Squad (Counts as a character with Order 66 for the purposes of Commander Effects and cannot be in an Imperial squad)
Double Attack (On his turn, this character can make 1 extra attack instead of moving)
Gauntlet Knife +10 (+10 Damage to 1 adjacent target; this counts as a melee attack)
Grenades 40 (Replaces attacks: range 6; 40 damage to target and to each character adjacent to that target; save 11)
Rapport (This character costs 1 less when in the same squad as a character with Omega Squad)
Satchel Charge (Replaces attacks: Designate 1 adjacent door as open; it remains open for the rest of the skirmish and cannot be closed)
Stealth (If this character has cover, he does not count as the nearest enemy for an attacker farther than 6 squares when choosing targets)

Republic Commando Darman is a good piece, and there a couple of different builds that he fits well into. He's obviously a good fit in the Republic Commando builds - most builds rotate around the four Elite Republic Commandos, and while Darman isn't necessarily the best choice as a support piece, and he's fighting with pieces like extra Bosses and the other v-set Republic Commandos for a place, he's certainly a solid addition with Gauntlet Knife, Grenades 40, and Satchel Charge. Grenades 40 also makes him a good fit for Tarpals squad, although as it's range 6, it can be a little tough to pull off and you'll often opt for other options like Gungan Artillerists, Blizz, and Dr Evazan Galactic Criminal with Tarpals. Darman is a solid package for 25 points, 8/10.
TheHutts
Posted: Tuesday, November 24, 2015 2:29:33 PM

General Rieekan, from Imperial Entanglements

Quote:
14 points, Rebel
Hit Points: 50
Defense: 15
Attack: 9

Special Abilities
Unique
Recon (Roll twice for initiative once per round, choosing either roll, if any character with Recon in the same squad has line of sight to an enemy)

Commander Effect
Allies gain Evade and Mobile Attack.

I don't know if I need to say too much about Rieekan - his Commander Effect is super helpful for the often fragile Rebels, and at 14 points he just about defines the entire faction's style. He also featured in echo24's GenCon champion squad.

Quote:
--Smug Commandos (2010 Gencon Champion Squad)--
27 Han Solo, Smuggler
27 Lobot
27 Luke Skywalker, Rebel Commando
20 Princess Leia
32 Elite Rebel Commando x2
16 General Crix Madine
14 General Rieekan
12 Gha Nachkt
9 General Dodonna
8 Obi-Wan Kenobi, Jedi Spirit
8 Mouse Droid x4
(200pts. 15 activations)

Rieekan's a steal at 14 points, and you're almost always going to utilise him in a Rebel squad, unless you want to use the Klat Captain to get Speed 8 for your Pilot squad, or if you're expecting a meta that doesn't favour him, like predominantly melee or lots of Bastila's Advanced Battle Meditation, 11/10.
TheHutts
Posted: Tuesday, November 24, 2015 2:40:46 PM

Also, I just updated the power 11s in light of the new erratas - Gha Nachkt, Commando Droid Officer, and Klat Assassin aren't power 11s anymore with the changes.

This is the full list so far:
V-Set (3.1% of v-set pieces covered are power 11)
Admiral Daala
Bastila Shan, Jedi Master
Darth Caedus, Sith Lord
Darth Revan, Sith Lord
Elite Republic Commando - Boss
Kelborn
Supreme Overlord Quorreal
Talon Karrde, Information Broker
Warrior Caste Subcommander

WOTC (4.2% of WOTC pieces covered are power 11)
Admiral Ozzel
Captain Panaka
Captain Tarpals
Darth Sidious
General Rieekan
General Whorm Loathsom
Grand Admiral Thrawn
IG-Lancer Droid
Luke Skywalker, Rebel Commando
Mouse Droid
Princess Leia
R7 Astromech Droid
San Hill
Thrawn (Mitth'raw'nuruodo)
Ugnaught Demolitionist
TheHutts
Posted: Wednesday, November 25, 2015 4:24:13 PM

Neo-Crusader Trooper, from Shadows

Quote:
10 points, Mandalorian
Defense: 16
Attack: 6

Special Abilities
Beskar'gam (When this character takes damage, it reduces the damage dealt by 10 with a save of 11)
Single-Shot Blaster (This character cannot gain Twin Attack)
Triple Attack (On its turn, this character can make 2 extra attacks instead of moving)
Neo-Crusader

The Czerka Shield Technician was probably a good idea for the game overall, but made things a little tough for the Mandalorians, who relied on the Captain's twin in a lot of their builds. The Neo-Crusaders from Shadows were an effort to make Mandalorian builds that don't rely on twin, using the Neo-Crusader Officer's CE and Kelborn's movement to set up stand-and-deliver builds. Unfortunately, the Neo-Crusader Officer was primarily used with Mandalore the Vindicated for huge top of the round hits, but now that the Neo-Crusader Officer has been errata'd to only affect Neo-Crusader followers, we might see Neo-Crusader themed builds on the table.

The Neo-Crusader Trooper is a useful scrub killer - with 10 damage and 6 attack, he's not going to threaten big pieces, but it's easy to see him clearing out Ugnaughts and other fodder. His attack is low, so he probably needs an attack boost like the Mandalorian Sergeant, as well as Kelborn's movement breaker, but with Beskar'gam and 30 hit points, he's reasonably tough for a 10 point piece, 8/10.