RegisterDonateLogin

Is your only hope.

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Members

Rolling Mini of the Day (Urai Fen) Options
AndyHatton
Posted: Wednesday, November 4, 2015 1:23:24 PM
Groups: Member , Moderator

He's pretty great, I think 9 or 10 is accurate. His only downside is Melee Attack
FlyingArrow
Posted: Wednesday, November 4, 2015 1:24:47 PM

Tonnika Sisters sound low, too. Other than that, the Cantina Brawl ratings looks about right. Tonnika Sisters just don't have the right kind of support, but their cost/power level is about right. High 6 or low 7 for them. Complete list of Unique Fringe followers with 70+ HP that shoot for an unboosted 40dmg (max cost:25):

Tonnika Sisters 22
Rohlan Dyre 24
Villie Grahrk 25
spryguy1981
Posted: Wednesday, November 4, 2015 3:13:35 PM
Groups: Member

I'd keep him at a 9. I brought him in as a Lobot reinforcement at GenCon vs ATM's double swap and he enabled me to last the round I needed to get my 1pt loss. He was also key a few years ago in helping me beat Graham (Greentimes) Cad/Arica squad in the Atlanta Regional. A player I had never beaten before in 6 tries.
TimmerB123
Posted: Thursday, November 5, 2015 8:20:45 AM

TheHutts wrote:
Figrin D'an, from Cantina Brawl

Quote:
10 points, Fringe
Hit Points: 40
Defense: 14
Attack: 5
Damage: 10

Special Abilities
Unique
Melee Attack (Can attack only adjacent enemies)
Distraction (Suppresses adjacent enemy commander effects)
Draw Fire (If an enemy targets an ally within 6 squares of this character, you may force that enemy to target this character instead if it can; save 11)
Evade (When hit by an attack from a nonadjacent enemy, this character takes no damage with a save of 11)

Keep him at a 9. (Greedo should be an 8)

I was always entertained by the description Deri laid out when proposing Fig's original stats.
"fingersandteeth" wrote:

kind of a piece that can be brought into dampen accurate shot. Distraction is a throw on, draw fire (look at the great music i'm playing!) and evade (i'm a shifty dancer) is really what its about. With some powerful accurate shooters and snipers coming along he would be a nice reinforcement option to keep certain commanders a little safer.

I especially love "i'm a shifty dancer"

Btw, his stats stayed 100% exactly the same as the first proposal. A fairly rare occurrence.
TheHutts
Posted: Thursday, November 5, 2015 1:23:17 PM

Han Solo, Rogue, from Alliance and Empire

Quote:
30 points, Rebel
Hit Points: 70
Defense: 16
Attack: 7
Damage: 20

Special Abilities
Unique
Accurate Shot (Can attack an enemy with cover even if it's not the nearest enemy)
Cunning Attack (+4 Attack and +10 Damage against an enemy who has not activated this round)
Evade (When hit by an attack from a nonadjacent enemy, this character takes no damage with a save of 11)
Never Tell Me the Odds (Suppresses enemy special abilities that modify initiative)

As a combatant, Han Rogue is weaker than the other Rebel Hans in his price range - in particular his +7 attack is low in comparison to Han Smuggler's +10. Built in Evade is a helpful boost - it means you can build without relying on Rieekan. But the real reason to play this Han is Never Tell Me The Odds, which is great at stifling Thrawn's Master Tactician and the Muun Tactics Broker - it makes it much more difficult for Thrawn to plan when every initiative is 50/50. Even then, you're unlikely to start Han Rogue, unless you're facing a heavy initiative control meta, but 38 point Han Rebel General with versatility makes it possible to pull Han Rogue in when you need him. Even then, Han Rebel General hasn't quite taken off as a top tier competitive piece, so Rogue's opportunities are limited, but Never Tell Me The Odds is still a very useful ability in the competitive meta, 6/10.
Cassus fett
Posted: Thursday, November 5, 2015 3:16:25 PM

^ agreed NTMTO is very powerful in certain circumstances. How ever i believe this Hans not worth it with the damage and attack he's got. I've run him once and I did infact use Rebel General with versatile to bring him in (in case anyones curious it was to shut down Thrawn). Now hes not terrible but not great. I'd say flat 5/10, just decent
TheHutts
Posted: Sunday, November 8, 2015 3:18:58 PM

Jedi Consular, from Champions of the Force

Quote:
16 points, Old Republic
Hit Points: 60
Defense: 18
Attack: 9

Special Abilities

Force Powers
Force 3
Force Alter (Force 1: range 6; any 1 enemy rerolls its last attack)
Force Stun (Force 1, usable only on this character's turn: range 6; target living enemy is considered activated this round; save 11)

The Jedi Consular feels like an Old Republic piece; it has limited attacking potential, but some useful annoyance and spoiler abilities. It can only put out 20 damage a round, with a low +9 attack, so its strengths are more about getting in the way and making a nuisance with Force Alter and Force Stun. I don't think there's quite enough here to make the Jedi Consular playable, and it looks like no-one's even bothered to put in a squad in the last couple of years. That's not surprising, as I can't see the Jedi Consular ever seeing much table time, 3/10.
TheHutts
Posted: Monday, November 9, 2015 1:23:32 PM

Naga Sadow, from Jedi Academy

Quote:
64 points, Sith
Hit Points: 140
Defense: 21
Attack: 14

Special Abilities
Unique
Double Attack (On his turn, this character can make 1 extra attack instead of moving)
Virulent Poison +20 (+20 Damage to living enemy; save 16)

Force Powers
Force 2
Force Renewal 1 (This character gets 1 Force point each time he activates)
Force Storm 2 (Force 2, replaces attacks: 20 damage to all adjacent characters)
Illusion (Force 1: When hit by an attack, this character takes no damage unless the attacker makes a save of 11)
Master of the Force 2 (May spend Force points up to 2 times in a single turn)
Sith Sorcery (Force 2, usable only on this character's turn: Enemy characters within 6 squares are considered activated this round; save 11)

Naga Sadow feels like one of the Sith's better WOTC pieces. That's not saying much, but at least he has ranged defense with Illusion, and can do 40 damage on the move with Virulent Poison. Hopefully this means that he can stick around long enough to do some mischief with his Sith Sorcery, but he is seriously constrained with only Renewal 1 - at 64 points with Sorcery and MOTF2, he really needs more force points to shine - while he's in a faction where he can pick up extra force, it means that he's still too expensive to be a top tier piece, and it's difficult to justify building around him when there are significantly more powerful options available at a cheaper cost. Fun, but significantly overcosted, 4/10.
sephiroth99is
Posted: Monday, November 9, 2015 2:03:14 PM

Yeah, he'd probably need to be like 40 points to be competitive.
TheHutts
Posted: Monday, November 9, 2015 2:08:21 PM

sephiroth99is wrote:
Yeah, he'd probably need to be like 40 points to be competitive.

But at least he has great legs.
TheHutts
Posted: Monday, November 9, 2015 4:16:29 PM

Golden One, from Armed and Operational

Quote:
5 points, Rebel
Hit Points: 30
Defense: 16
Attack: 0
Damage: 0

Special Abilities
Unique
Droid (Immune to critical hits; not subject to commander effects)

Camaraderie (Allies whose names contain Chewbacca, Luke, Leia, Han, or R2-D2 gain Ewok)

Commander Effect
Droid and Savage characters are subject to these effects:

Your squad may only contain Ewok characters and characters whose names contain Chewbacca, Luke, Leia, Han, or R2-D2.

Ewok allies gain Ambush.

Non-Unique Ewok allies gain Stealth.

I don't think that there are competitive squads with Golden One, but he at least forms the basis of a really fun themed build, around the Battle of Endor. He can only be played with Ewoks and Rebel heroes, who become Ewoks, so immediately it means that his squads are limited - R2-D2 and the huge based Ewok Catapult are his only door control options, while they'll be short on other tech. The most interesting thing he does is open up the Rebel heroes to Ewok CEs, notably his own Ambush and Chief Chirpa's "Ewok allies gain Charging Fire (Replaces turn: Can move up to double speed, then attack) and Gregarious (+4 Attack if an ally is within 6 squares)." They can also benefit from Chewbacca and Ewoks in AT-ST's Ewok Leader (Allied Ewoks within 6 squares get +4 Defense and gain Advantageous Cover).

You can come up with fun squads like this Deathwielded build - Chewbacca is a lot better with the Gregarious from Chirpa:
Quote:
--Part of the Tribe? Yippy--
50 Chewbacca and Ewoks in AT-ST
38 Han Solo, Rebel General
27 Luke Skywalker, Rebel Commando
20 Princess Leia
19 Ewok Chieftain
16 Chief Chirpa
9 R2-D2 with Extended Sensor
5 Golden One
15 Ewok x5
(199pts. 13 activations)

I wouldn't take Golden One to a tournament, but he's a fun piece who's the basis of some decent tier 2 builds, 7/10.
FlyingArrow
Posted: Monday, November 9, 2015 5:00:57 PM

Catapult is more for control.
TheHutts
Posted: Monday, November 9, 2015 5:08:53 PM

FlyingArrow wrote:
Catapult is more for control.

Are you trying to make me rewrite the whole thing? That was a fundamental point!
FlyingArrow
Posted: Tuesday, November 10, 2015 7:45:23 AM

No, I don't think it changes much. It's another door control option, but it doesn't make Golden One squads Tier 1.
TheHutts
Posted: Wednesday, November 11, 2015 1:26:33 PM

Killik Joiner, from Warfare and Subterfuge

Quote:
16 points, Fringe
Hit Points: 50
Damage: 10

Special Abilities
Killik
Brainwashed (If this character cannot make an attack from its starting space, it must end its move adjacent to an enemy if it can)
Paralysis (A living enemy hit by this character's attack is considered activated this round; save 11)
Rapport (Costs 2 less when in the same squad as a character whose name contains Night Herald)
Swarm +2 (+2 Attack against a target for each allied Killik adjacent to that target)
Twin Attack (Whenever this character attacks, he makes 1 extra attack against the same target)

It's always tricky to make non-uniques in this price range attractive. 16 points is expensive to swarm but too cheap to have much stickability. So while the Killik Joiner is a good piece for the cost, it's hard to fit into a squad. The Killik Joiner has a lot of positive attributes - it's non-melee, it has built in Twin and Evade, and it has Paralysis as an activating ability. But it's also constrained by a low +5 attack and Brainwashed, a kind of toned down version of Savage, where it has to finish adjacent to an enemy if it can't make an attack from its starting space. The Joiner also subject to Killik bonuses; it can get Rapport and a stats boost in a Sith squad with Welk Night Herald, while it also works in tandem with Raynar Thul's Killik boosts. I'm not sure exactly what the best Killik builds look like, but here's a DarkDracul squad:

Quote:
Activate 4 Klat Assasins in 0ne phase!! Boom

--Killik Fringe Infestation--
38 Raynar Thul (Unuthul)
32 Talon Karrde, Information Broker
32 Killik Joiner x2
15 Jabba, Crime Lord
48 Klatooinian Assassin x4
24 Killik Worker x3
8 R7 Astromech Droid
3 Ugnaught Demolitionist
(200pts. 14 activations)

I feel like I don't quite have my head around the potential of the Killik subfaction, especially Raynar's Hivemind. But with a +5 attack, the Killik Joiner is unlikely to see play outside Killik-focused builds, 6/10.
TheHutts
Posted: Wednesday, November 11, 2015 7:20:29 PM

501st Legion Clone Trooper, from The Dark Times

Quote:
8 points, Republic
Hit Points: 10

Special Abilities
Order 66
Trooper (Counts as a character named 501st Clone Trooper)
Squad Assault (+4 Attack while 3 allies with the same name as this character are within 6 squares)

Before Rolling Mini of the Day, I would have never been aware that there are two seperate pieces - the 501st Clone Trooper and 501st Legion Clone Trooper - with subtly different names. The 501st Legion Clone Trooper is a slightly improved version of the vanilla Clone Trooper - it has an extra +1 defense, it's 1 point cheaper, and squad assault makes up for the attack reduction in builds that utilise multiple 501st Clone Troopers. Whether you'd want to use multiple 501st Legion Clone Troopers is another matter entirely; while they're mostly an improvement from the vanilla Clone Trooper, they're still weak for 8 points, and aren't subject to bonuses like Cody's rapports specifically for Clone Troopers. I guess you could argue the 501st Legion Clone Trooper is better than the Clone Trooper, but I still can't see any reason to use one; Spaartis are a much better option for a cheap Clone, 2/10.
TheHutts
Posted: Thursday, November 12, 2015 3:48:52 PM

Kol Skywalker, from Jedi Academy

Quote:
38 points, New Republic
Hit Points: 130
Defense: 21
Attack: 14

Special Abilities
Unique
Double Attack (On his turn, this character can make 1 extra attack instead of moving)
Lightsaber Duelist (+4 Defense when attacked by an adjacent enemy with a Force rating)

Force Powers
Force 2
Force Renewal 1 (This character gets 1 Force point each time he activates)
Force Push 2 (Force 2, replaces attacks: range 6; 20 damage; push back target 2 squares if Huge or smaller)
Lightsaber Block (Force 1: When hit by a melee attack, this character takes no damage with a save of 11)
Lightsaber Precision (Force 1: This character gets +10 Damage on his next attack)
Master of the Force 2 (May spend Force points up to 2 times in a single turn)

A magnificently toned and sculpted piece of beefcake, Kol Skywalker actually lives up to his sculpt pretty well. For 38 points, you don't get a whole lot of damage output, although Lightsaber Precision certainly helps. But you get a lot of survivability - 130 hit points, a 21 defense with Lightsaber Duelist, Block, and Master of the Force 2 make him a tough cookie, especially against other Jedi, while he can also access Evade from Wedge easily. Despite his excellent defenses, there are things that can get around his defenses - Vong can ignore most of his defensive setup, as can an adjacent shooter, while Ysalamari is also tough on him. He featured in the winning LowerHuttACon 2011 squad; I don't have the exact details, but the Sharron-helmed squad also featured Wedge, Mara Jade Jedi, Ganner, and Anakin Solo.

I don't think the current meta is quite right for Kol, but he's one of the few WOTC Jedi who's still excellent value for their points; I think he could be a solid 8 or 9 in a more Jedi-centric meta, 7/10.
TheHutts
Posted: Sunday, November 15, 2015 5:25:24 PM

Togorian Black Sun Vigo, from Shadows

Quote:
24 points, Fringe
Hit Points: 50
Defense: 19
Attack: 9

Special Abilities
Double Claw Attack (On his turn, this character can make 1 extra attack instead of moving; both attacks must be against adjacent enemies)
Greater Mobile Attack (Can move both before and after attacking. This character can make extra attacks even if he moves this turn, but he must make them all before resuming movement.)
Stealth (If this character has cover, he does not count as the nearest enemy for an attacker farther than 6 squares when choosing targets)

Commander Effect
Black Sun allies with Grenades 10 gain Grenades 30 and Grenade Launcher.

Black Sun allies get +4 to save rolls against abilities whose names contain Grenades or Missiles.

The Togorian Black Sun Vigo is a strong enough piece that he forms the basis of a very good swarm build - handing out Grenades 30 and Grenade Launcher to the 6 point Klat Black Sun Vigos creates a strong build. Because all of the key pieces are Fringe, there are a few different directions you can go with it - you could go with Pellaeon for Force Immunity or Tarpals for Double Grenders, but my favourite Grenades 30 builds use Nom Anor for superstealth and Self Destruct 20. This build placed mid-table at LowerHuttACon this year, but only lost to the two finalists:

Quote:
--They make you blow up, then they blow up--
34 Nom Anor
27 Lobot
25 Alexi Garyn, Head of the Black Sun
23 Togorian Black Sun Vigo
90 Klat Black Sun Vigo x18
(199pts. 22 activations)

The Togorian Black Sun Vigo is a strong enough piece that you can build tournament worthy squads around him, 10/10.
jak
Posted: Monday, November 16, 2015 10:19:12 AM

finished 1st (Lou), and 2nd (me) in mystery map this year @ GC, with this dudeThumbsUp
TheHutts
Posted: Monday, November 16, 2015 10:31:56 AM

jak wrote:
finished 1st (Lou), and 2nd (me) in mystery map this year @ GC, with this dudeThumbsUp

I didn't know that - what factions were you running?