RegisterDonateLogin

The other Chosen One.

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Members

Rolling Mini of the Day (Urai Fen) Options
FlyingArrow
Posted: Friday, January 15, 2016 8:50:43 AM
Groups: Member , Moderator

Did the Mandalorian Technician really just come up randomly? Or did you choose it because I literally *just* commented about it on someone's squad?
TheHutts
Posted: Friday, January 15, 2016 8:54:00 AM
Groups: Member

FlyingArrow wrote:
Did the Mandalorian Technician really just come up randomly? Or did you choose it because I literally *just* commented about it on someone's squad?

Came up randomly - I generated it more than a week ago.
FlyingArrow
Posted: Friday, January 15, 2016 9:02:41 AM

It does bring some interesting things to the table, but I've never been tempted to bring it into a squad. I guess it would let you live without Kelborn and Mouse Droids, though. Maybe bring one mouse. If for some reason you can't fit Kelborn into a squad.
TheHutts
Posted: Friday, January 15, 2016 6:16:05 PM

General Weir, from Renegades and Rogues

Quote:
28 points, Imperial

Hit Points: 70
Defense: 19
Attack: 10
Damage: 10

Special Abilities
Unique
Pilot
Twin Attack (Whenever this character attacks, he makes 1 extra attack against the same target)
Doctrine of Fear (Enemy characters within 6 squares get -4 Attack)
Opportunist +20 (+4 Attack and +20 Damage against an enemy who has activated this round)
Stealth (If this character has cover, he does not count as the nearest enemy for an attacker farther than 6 squares when choosing targets)

Commander Effect
Characters in your squad named Storm Commando gain Shields 2 and Twin Attack. Characters in your squad whose name contains Speeder gain Twin Attack.

General Weir is a strong piece - he's a pretty good shooter in his own right with Stealth, Twin, and Opportunist +20, while he gives boosts to a couple of WOTC Imperials that were already on the cusp of playability. The WOTC Storm Commandos pick up Twin and Shields 2, increasing their survivability. The Speeder you're mostly likely to see is the Scout Trooper on Speeder Bike, although you can also access Republic Speeders in some builds - Speeders pick up Twin. Weir is also an excellent shooter, and he can pick up an extra attack with Imperial Governor Tarkin. Weir builds were huge in the 2012 Regional season, like this Spry build which won the PA Regional.

--"Weir"thering the Storm, PA Regional Winner--
37 Grand Admiral Thrawn
31 Tyber Zann
28 General Weir
22 Imperial Governor Tarkin
18 Moff Nyna Calixte
34 Storm Commando x2
16 Admiral Gilad Pellaeon
8 Mas Amedda
6 Ugnaught Demolitionist x2

Preferred Reinforcements:
(Tyber Zann) 4 Gran Raider
(Tyber Zann) 6 Rodian Brute x2

(200pts. 14 activations)

Weir builds have their weaknesses - the Storm Commandos still suffer from a low attack - even with Cunning and Grand Admiral Thrawn they're only at +13 - but it still feels like Weir has been somewhat forgotten. He's a very strong piece and he brings some interesting pieces like the Speeder Bike, the Storm Commando, and Imperial Governor Tarkin into competitive contention, 9/10.
TheHutts
Posted: Sunday, January 17, 2016 6:02:40 PM

Mandalorian Soldier, from Bounty Hunters

Quote:
16 points, Mandalorian
Hit Points: 40
Defense: 16
Attack: 8
Damage: 10

Special Abilities
Deadeye (On this character's turn, if he doesn't move, he gets +10 Damage)
Double Attack (On his turn, this character can make 1 extra attack instead of moving)

There are a few teenaged Mandalorians out there with 10 base damage, double, and a damage boosting CE - the Gunslinger has Cunning, the Scout has Opportunist (as well as GMA), while the Soldier has Deadeye. Realistically, the Soldiers are left in the dust by the two other options; the 10 less hit points are a significant downgrade, while Deadeye requires them to stay still to get all their damage. As well as having to stay still, they're also lacking ranged defense, whereby the Gunslinger has Evade and the Scout has Cloaked. The Soldier is not a bottom of the barrel piece overall, but the Mandalorians have better options, 3/10.
TheHutts
Posted: Sunday, January 17, 2016 11:11:13 PM

Callista, Force Spirit, from A Long Time Ago

Quote:
25 points, New Republic
New Republic 28/45

HP: --
Def: --
Atk: --
Dam: --

Special Abilities
Unique. Speed 8
Light Spirit [Ignores characters and terrain. Cannot open doors. Cannot attack or be damaged, and does not count as a legal target, the nearest enemy, or adjacent. Not subject to commander effects. Does not provide cover. At the start of the skirmish, choose a Unique allied character with a Force rating. That ally gains Force Renewal 1 and Mettle while within 4 squares of this character. This character is defeated if the chosen ally is defeated. An enemy within 6 squares can spend 1 Force point to defeat this character; save 11. This effect replaces that enemy's attacks.]

Override [At the end of her turn, this character can designate 1 door that she can see as open or closed; it remains open or closed until the end of this character's next turn, or until she is defeated]

Commander Effect
If a Unique ally with a Force Rating within 6 squares would be defeated, you may remove this character instead (she is defeated). Remove all damage from the ally. For the rest of the skirmish, the ally gains Synergy +4 [+4 Attack while an ally whose name contains Luke is within 6 squares], and a second ally with a lightsaber who costs less than the first gains one of Shii-Cho Style, Soresu Style, or Djem So Style.

Callista Force Spirit is a very distinctive piece. A hard to kill Override piece is a new concept for the game - Callista can only be killed by spending a force point and her failing the save 11, or by defeating the piece she's haunting. Robust override is very valuable, but Callista is arguably even more interesting for her Commander Effect - she can bring a force user within 6 squares back from defeat to full health by sacrificing herself.

It's obviously potentially a big swing to bring a major force user back from defeat, although it's certainly not fool proof. As it's a commander effect, it can be prevented by disruptive or distraction, while you can also use movement from a force pull or Caedus' ABM to separate Callista from the other force users. It's also worth noting that when you bring a piece back, it will still have the same force points as when it was defeated, so a tank like Luke Master of the Order who is reliant on force points to defend itself will be much easier to defeat the second time.

If Callista is really crucial to your squad's functionality, it's worth considering haunting her with Kol's force ghost to increase her survivability. Kol gives her force points for rerolls and can provide a counter to Advanced Battle Meditation. Due to the potentially game changing nature of her CE, as well as her utility as a tough override piece, I think it's likely Callista will see competitive play, 8/10.
Dr Daman
Posted: Monday, January 18, 2016 3:17:11 AM

TheHutts wrote:
If Callista is really crucial to your squad's functionality, it's worth considering haunting her with Kol's force ghost to increase her survivability. Kol gives her force points for rerolls and can provide a counter to Advanced Battle Meditation

She doesn't have a force rating right? That'd mean you can't haunt her....
Mando
Posted: Monday, January 18, 2016 6:35:45 AM

Dr Daman wrote:
TheHutts wrote:
If Callista is really crucial to your squad's functionality, it's worth considering haunting her with Kol's force ghost to increase her survivability. Kol gives her force points for rerolls and can provide a counter to Advanced Battle Meditation

She doesn't have a force rating right? That'd mean you can't haunt her....

Could Tionne give her a FP with Light Tutor?
FlyingArrow
Posted: Monday, January 18, 2016 9:04:16 AM

Yes, Tionne could.

I'm not expecting to see her in tournaments - or at least not to win them. It's just too risky. 25 points is a huge chunk of a squad. If she pulls off her trick, it's great. But if she gets popped with a Force point or is disrupted when her target is defeated, you basically paid 25 points for Override. If she is in a tournament, whenever the trick works there's a strong chance for a win. Not an auto-win, though, because you're playing with 25 points less offense by having her in the squad. A fun piece, and she'd likely win some matches if she is in a tournament, but I don't think many people would consider it worth the risk.

In a casual game, though, I think it's a fun concept and I'd play it.
TimmerB123
Posted: Monday, January 18, 2016 9:07:08 AM

TheHutts wrote:
Callista, Force Spirit, from A Long Time Ago

Woah - set 11 spoilers already!?!
FlyingArrow
Posted: Monday, January 18, 2016 9:10:39 AM

Nearly half the set already, Tim:
http://www.bloomilk.com/Forums/default.aspx?g=posts&t=18520

Though this is the first one TheHutts has reviewed.
TimmerB123
Posted: Monday, January 18, 2016 9:12:51 AM

FlyingArrow wrote:

Oh I know that a ton have been spoiled, but to my knowledge TheHutts has never reviewed a character here before the set has been officially released
juice man
Posted: Monday, January 18, 2016 9:25:44 AM

You da'man TheHutts.

PS
The recommended mini made me laugh. Just thinking about Frozen Han moving all over the board.BigGrin
CorellianComedian
Posted: Monday, January 18, 2016 9:29:02 AM

juice man wrote:
You da'man TheHutts.

PS
The recommended mini made me laugh. Just thinking about Frozen Han moving all over the board.BigGrin

Especially when he's moving faster than most useful pieces in the game LOL
The Celestial Warrior
Posted: Monday, January 18, 2016 9:31:45 AM

CorellianComedian wrote:
juice man wrote:
You da'man TheHutts.

PS

Especially when he's moving faster than most useful pieces in the game LOL

Well, in the book, he keeps seeing her in reflections on the walls and in computer screens....so it kind of looks like a ghost in the wall....
FlyingArrow
Posted: Monday, January 18, 2016 9:32:12 AM

juice man wrote:
You da'man TheHutts.

PS

Frozen Han was the closest thing we had to an image on a screen!

For those unfamiliar with the story, Callista transferred her spirit into a capital ship's computer. While "living" in the ship, Callista controlled its doors and revealed herself on a screen. She later transferred into the body of a fallen Jedi (and then took on the name Callista Ming).
TheHutts
Posted: Monday, January 18, 2016 1:15:30 PM

TimmerB123 wrote:
FlyingArrow wrote:

Oh I know that a ton have been spoiled, but to my knowledge TheHutts has never reviewed a character here before the set has been officially released

I asked TJ if I could cover something on RMotD for today's spoiler.

I tested Calista a few times (although I totally overlooked that I couldn't haunt her with Kol!), so I had an OK perspective on her, although it's always tempting to overrate new pieces. I do think she's a piece that inexperienced players will go for - bringing back a piece to full health is very tempting - in the same ways they like pieces like the Sith Leviathan and the Rodian Trader. But I think there's enough substance to be possibly worthwhile in some builds - I'd say robust override is worth 10-12 points, and the force/renewal mettle is worth 5-6 points, so if you can make use of everything, you're not paying too much for her CE. The CE certainly wasn't reliable in testing though - there were plenty of ways around it.
TheHutts
Posted: Monday, January 18, 2016 5:01:15 PM

Leia Skywalker, Jedi Knight, from Jedi Academy

Quote:
25 points, New Republic
Hit Points: 90
Defense: 18
Attack: 9
Damage: 20

Special Abilities
Unique
Melee Attack (Can attack only adjacent enemies)
Double Attack (On her turn, this character can make 1 extra attack instead of moving)

Force Powers
Force 2
Force Renewal 1 (This character gets 1 Force point each time she activates)
Force Absorb (Force 2: Cancel a Force power used by an adjacent character)
Force Sense (Force 1, usable only on this character's turn: Enemy characters lose Stealth for the rest of the round)
Lightsaber Throw 2 (Force 2, replaces attacks: Choose 1 target enemy within range 6. Make 2 attacks against that target.)

Commander Effect
Each ally within 6 squares can reroll each failed save once.

I guess Leia becoming a Jedi is no longer part of the official canon, but this mini is still useful. Leia's a weak attacker for 25 points, although she does improve significantly with the addition of Winter, who gives her +4 attack. As a commander, she's also ineligible for Wedge's Evade CE, and with no defensive abilities she's often the first target for enemy pieces. But she does have Force Sense, which was huge in the 2015 Meta, while Force Absorb is also a handy defense and easy to forget about - I've assaulted her with Mara Jade Jedi and had my attack cancelled. Lightsaber Throw also means she has some ranged offense, but her most interesting facet is easily her Commander Effect, where allies can reroll failed saves once. It's useful with pieces with defensive CEs or SAs - she can synergise well with Wedge, as she makes followers hard to shoot, or with pieces with Lightsaber Defense or Parry. Again, because her CE is range 6, she often needs to be near the action, which means that she's often the defensive weakpoint of a squad she's in. Leia probably gets a little overrated by newer players, but she's still a solid piece for 25 points, 8/10.
FlyingArrow
Posted: Monday, January 18, 2016 6:54:25 PM

I was thinking 8 or 9. She's a good counter to Caedus/Mines. Biggest weakness to me seems to be her low attack. Strange because she's mainly a commander, but for her cost she needs to help in the endgame. She has the FPs to do it but anyways seems to miss her Attacks.
CorellianComedian
Posted: Monday, January 18, 2016 7:47:44 PM

She's one of those pieces that, for reasons beyond my comprehension, seems to miss way more than any other character with +9 Attack.