RegisterDonateLogin

Attachment is forbidden. Possession is forbidden. Bloo Milk...is essential to a Jedi's life.

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Members

Rolling Mini of the Day (Urai Fen) Options
TheHutts
Posted: Tuesday, April 29, 2014 1:21:43 PM
Groups: Member

urbanjedi wrote:
Even when Luke came out he was overcosted by about 20 points. Lower his cost and give him motf2 and he would have been decent when he had come out but would still lag behind later nr wotc releases (Mara or kyle or pretty much anyone)

Ambush or Backlash could have made him into a much better piece, I think - he could force leap in and triple someone.

Echo24 wrote:
The best example of how overpriced Luke JM is would be comparing him to Vader JH in the same set. For 1 point more, you get +10 HP, +1 Def, 2 great special abilities, replace Force Leap, LS Throw, and Master Speed with Force Whirlwind and Force Grip 10, and lose the mediocre CE.

What you gain for Vader is way better than what you lose, all for just 1 point more.

Yup, and Vader had access to Thrawn as well - Luke had little support then, right? He could give Universe Kyle Katarn an extra force point.
TheHutts
Posted: Tuesday, April 29, 2014 8:49:02 PM

Corran Horn, Jedi Master, from Vengeance

Quote:
60 points, New Republic
Hit Points: 140
Defense: 21
Attack: 14
Damage: 20

Special Abilities
Unique
Pilot
Melee Attack (Can attack only adjacent enemies)
Melee Reach 2 (When attacking, this character treats enemies up to 2 squares away as adjacent)
Triple Attack (On his turn, this character can make 2 extra attacks instead of moving)
Jedi Reflexes (This character can make an attack of opportunity against an enemy character that moves into or out of an adjacent square. Characters with special abilities that ignore characters while moving are subject to this ability.)
Opportunist (+4 Attack and +10 Damage against an enemy who has activated this round)

Force Powers
Force 2
Force Renewal 1 (This character gets 1 Force point each time he activates)
Absorb Energy (Force 2: When hit by a nonmelee attack, this character takes no damage with a save of 11. Remove damage from this character equal to the prevented damage.)
Force Absorb (Force 2: Cancel a Force power used by an adjacent character)
Jedi Mind Trick 2 (Force 2, usable only on this character's turn: range 2; target living enemy and 2 living enemies adjacent to that target are considered activated this round and cannot make attacks of opportunity this turn; save 11)
Knight Speed (Force 1: This character can move 4 extra squares on his turn as part of his move)

I really like this version of Corran Horn; he's a pain for Strafers with his Jedi Reflexes and for shooters with his Absorb Energy and access to Evade. Since he's a pilot, he has great synergy with the Klatooinian Captain, picking up Speed 8 and Evade; he also picks up +4 attack from Jagged Fel, so he's often seen in tandem with other pilots like Dash Rendar Renegade Smuggler. With Melee Reach 2, he can park 2 away from a piece and hit them three times and get another hit in with Jedi Reflexes when the other piece moves in adjacent. He's also mobile - he can access Greater Mobile Attack from Luke Galactic Hero or the Evade/TBSV combo - and he can deal out 90 damage with triple and opportunist. He has a bunch of neat tricks - we haven't even talked about Jedi Mind Trick 2 - and he's strong enough that he's seen action in the GenCon top 8 and won a Regional or two.

Even given this, I do think in hindsight he could have done with either getting Master of the Force 2, or receiving a slight cost reduction - he does have some weaknesses with no melee defense, and Force Absorb can be a very swingy ability. But despite some slight quibbles, Corran Horn JM still brings a really unique combination of abilities to the table - he causes paroxysms for swarms and strafers, especially as he can be combined with disruptive easily, and he's also strong against heavy shooters. He's definitely a strong starting point for an NR build. 9/10.
fingersandteeth
Posted: Wednesday, April 30, 2014 2:12:43 PM

9 is a bit high for him.

Good piece, i made top 8 with him using

60 Corran Horn, Jedi Master
50 Han Solo, Galactic Hero
29 Ganner Rhysode
27 Lobot
18 Klatooinian Captain
9 General Dodonna
4 Gran Raider
3 Ugnaught Demolitionist

(200pts. 8 activations)

I beat a couple of OR squads, lost to Naboo stuff and Trev's eventual champ squad.

Corran was mainly a meat shield, using evade mostly and then occasionally absorbing energy when the evade failed. Jedi Reflexes + Opportunist was his big job when protecting Han. Force Absorb was handy when going against blocking jedi and assaulters. His knight speed was useful as a deep threat, especially with Ganner but it was risky because it left Han all on his own.

Really, most of the damage in my matches was done by Ganner/Han and then forcing people onto Corran. If they activated to avoid Hans cunning they usually ended up getting Corran's opportunist.

IMO, He's not worth it without the Klat because his defense is paltry then, no melee defense and Absorb energy is too unpredictable and expensive to rely on.
Motf2 would help him be a better stand alone piece for sure. Certainly would have made a huge difference in one particular match. I think it wouldn't have been too much for him either because rerolling AE is 3 force points. Double force absorb is 4 and he would only be able to do those kinds of things once or perhaps twice in a game because of his 2 starting force.

He was a lot of fun to play in this squad but i agree that MotF2 is probably what keeps him out of peoples squads, especially seeing as Stale Shan has it (motf2 AE) for 23 points cheaper.
TheHutts
Posted: Wednesday, April 30, 2014 2:43:17 PM

Regarding the 9, my take on it is that if a 60 point piece is good enough to win regionals and make the top 8 at GenCon, it probably deserves a high rating. It is an interesting situation though, where there possibly is room for a bit more power, but he's still a competitive piece anyway. I do agree that he needs that Klat Captain.

Amanin Scout, from the Force Unleashed

Quote:
13 points, Fringe
Hit Points: 40
Defense: 15
Attack: 7

Special Abilities
Melee Reach 2 (When attacking, this character treats enemies up to 2 squares away as adjacent)
Stealth (If this character has cover, he does not count as the nearest enemy for an attacker farther than 6 squares when choosing targets)
Wall Climber (This character ignores difficult terrain, enemy characters, low objects, and pits when moving as long as a square he occupies and a square he is moving into are adjacent to a wall)
Wheel Form (This character can move up to 18 squares if he does not attack)

I never noticed before that the Amanin Scout has Melee Reach 2. I guess that's because noone uses him as an attacker - he's used almost exclusively as a swapper. He's especially useful for Imperial swap squads, which can outactivate thanks to Ozzel, send the Amanin Scout in deep with Wheel Form and Wall Climber, and then swap in a nasty attacker like Cad Bane or Lord Vader and go to town. He's amazing in that role - with 40 hit points (enough to survive a hit from most Jedi Reflex pieces) and stealth, he's reasonably hardy for 13 points, and you can access him through Lobot's reinforcements. He's a one trick pony, but he's a darn good one. 9/10.
TimmerB123
Posted: Thursday, May 1, 2014 5:23:28 AM

Agreed that is his primary roll, but many times have I used him in Thrawn swap squads and end up needing to attack with him, and when you factor in Thrawn's opportunist, +11 for 30 with Melee reach 2 ain't shabby at all. I frequently use Gha Knackt and Lobot in my stealth n blue Variants (Thrawn, Cad Bane, and Arica), and then his 13 points is perfect to fit in an R7 with Lobots reinforcements.
fingersandteeth
Posted: Thursday, May 1, 2014 5:48:07 AM

TimmerB123 wrote:
Agreed that is his primary roll

LOL

nice play on words, intentional or not.
TimmerB123
Posted: Thursday, May 1, 2014 12:49:40 PM

fingersandteeth wrote:
TimmerB123 wrote:
Agreed that is his primary roll

LOL

nice play on words, intentional or not.

Lol. Wish I was clever enough to do it on purpose.
TheHutts
Posted: Thursday, May 1, 2014 3:27:58 PM

Chewbacca and Ewoks in AT-ST, from Scum and Villlainy

Quote:
50 points, Rebel
Hit Points: 100
Attack: 9
Damage: 40

Special Abilities
Unique
Wookiee
Speed 8 (Can move up to 8 squares and attack, or 16 squares without attacking)
Accurate Shot (Can attack an enemy with cover even if it's not the nearest enemy)
Ambush (This character can move and then make all his attacks against 1 enemy who has not activated this round)
Damage Reduction 10 (Whenever this character takes damage, reduce the damage dealt by 10. Attacks with lightsabers ignore this special ability.)
Double Attack (On his turn, this character can make 1 extra attack instead of moving)
Ewok Leader (Allied Ewoks within 6 squares get +4 Defense and gain Advantageous Cover)
Mounted Weapon (Only allies with Mounted Weapon or adjacent allies with Gunner can combine fire with this character)
Rigid (Can't squeeze)
Rout (Whenever a character in your squad defeats an enemy commander, move each other enemy within 6 squares of that commander up to its Speed away from the commander's square. This movement does not trigger attacks of opportunity.)

Chewbacca and Ewoks in AT-ST suffer from the same issues as a lot of other Huge pieces, slowed by difficult terrain and having to find a landing place for his fat base, as well as a really low attack of +9. Despite these constraints, Chewbacca does have some power - 40 damage accurate shots are nothing to sniff at, and Rout is also interesting on an accurate shot piece. Chewbacca can be bought into Republic via Merumeru, but I think his best synergies are in Rebels - he really needs evade to function, and he can get it from either Han Rebel General or Rieekan. He has potential in an Ewok based squad - Chief Chirpa can give him Gregarious to help his really low attack. I'm thinking he's still more of a themed piece at this stage - huge is a big constraint, and even with good ranged defenses he'll still get cut up very quickly by a good melee squad - but I'd love to see someone play the new Ewok squads and prove me wrong. And at least he's an interesting and fun piece; 5/10.
TheHutts
Posted: Sunday, May 4, 2014 7:14:40 PM

Clone Trooper on Speeder, from Clone Wars Battles

Quote:
28 points, Republic
Hit Points: 50
Defense: 18
Attack: 8

Order 66
Flight (Ignores difficult terrain, enemy characters, low objects, and pits when moving)
Speed 12 (Can move up to 12 squares and attack, or 24 squares without attacking)
Strafe Attack (As this character moves, he can attack each enemy whose space he enters; this turn, this character cannot attack any enemy twice and cannot move directly back into a space he has just left. This ability is usable only on this character's turn.)

The Clone Trooper on Speeder is passable for its points, but doesn't see competitive play. I think the main reason is that, as a large based piece, it's not subject to the Republic's movement breakers (doombot, Panaka, Foul) that are the faction's greatest strength, so the Republic's medium based gallopers and strafers (Yobuck and Anistap) are the board clearers of choice.

The Trooper is very comparable in stats to the Lancer, but it doesn't have anywhere near the amount of synergies that a Lancer has - it can't get twin, it can't be pawned, it can't get a cheap boost to its attack rating. In fact, with the Republic having no tempo control, the most you could expect from this piece in a competitive game against most tournament level squads would be to send it on one strafing run, then lose it immediately to a retaliatory attack - it's not going to cause enough damage with one attack at +8 for 20 damage. AniStap is a much better option as a Republic strafer, since he can utilise the Republic's movement breakers and has a lot more synergies available to him. The Clone Trooper on Speeder is a solid enough piece in its own right, but just doesn't have much support within its faction.

EDIT: It does, however, have a few more possibilities that I didn't refer to in my original review, as some people have pointed out below - with either Disra or Palpatine Sith Lord it can come into Imperials, and pick up all sorts of boosts (twin from General Weir, cunning from GARY, opportunist from Piett). Also, it can be a good option for Pong Krell squads. So I think it probably deserves a 7/10 - it does open up a few fun builds, that are bubbling just below the competitive level. 7/10.
pegolego
Posted: Sunday, May 4, 2014 7:48:10 PM

The 5 rating seems fitting, given that it is far from useless, just not that good. Darth O kindly cleared out my Battle Droid swarm with one on Pong reserves LOL
TheHutts
Posted: Sunday, May 4, 2014 8:00:03 PM

pegolego wrote:
The 5 rating seems fitting, given that it is far from useless, just not that good. Darth O kindly cleared out my Battle Droid swarm with one on Pong reserves LOL

Actually, I forgot about Pong Krell - that's maybe enough to justify it getting a 6 or 7 - could be a good reserve choice.
TimmerB123
Posted: Sunday, May 4, 2014 10:04:42 PM

TheHutts wrote:
Clone Trooper on Speeder, from Clone Wars Battles

Quote:
28 points, Republic
Hit Points: 50

Order 66
Flight (Ignores difficult terrain, enemy characters, low objects, and pits when moving)
Speed 12 (Can move up to 12 squares and attack, or 24 squares without attacking)
Strafe Attack (As this character moves, he can attack each enemy whose space he enters; this turn, this character cannot attack any enemy twice and cannot move directly back into a space he has just left. This ability is usable only on this character's turn.)

The Clone Trooper on Speeder is passable for its points, but doesn't see competitive play. I think the main reason is that, as a large based piece, it's not subject to the Republic's movement breakers (doombot, Panaka, Foul) that are the faction's greatest strength, so the Republic's medium based gallopers and strafers (Yobuck and Anistap) are the board clearers of choice.

The Trooper is very comparable in stats to the Lancer, but it doesn't have anywhere near the amount of synergies that a Lancer has - it can't get twin, it can't be pawned, it can't get a cheap boost to its attack rating. In fact, with the Republic having no tempo control, the most you could expect from this piece in a competitive game against most tournament level squads would be to send it on one strafing run, then lose it immediately to a retaliatory attack - it's not going to cause enough damage with one attack at +8 for 20 damage. AniStap is a much better option as a Republic strafer, since he can utilise the Republic's movement breakers and has a lot more synergies available to him. The Clone Trooper on Speeder is a solid enough piece in its own right, but just doesn't have much support within its faction. 5/10.

I know this is based on typical 200 pt competitive play - but in higher point games these guys ROCK in Imperials!

I did quite well at a 300pt tourney with this:

http://www.bloomilk.com/Squad/123216/the-time-has-come-------execute-order-66-
Dr Daman
Posted: Monday, May 5, 2014 1:56:09 AM

TheHutts wrote:
The Trooper is very comparable in stats to the Lancer, but it doesn't have anywhere near the amount of synergies that a Lancer has - it can't get twin, it can't be pawned, it can't get a cheap boost to its attack rating. In fact, with the Republic having no tempo control, the most you could expect from this piece in a competitive game against most tournament level squads would be to send it on one strafing run, then lose it immediately to a retaliatory attack

While that is true in Republic, it isn't so in Imperial. You can bring these guys into Imps using Moff Disra (or the more expensive Palps, but why would ya?). Then you can give them twin with General Weir, Cunning with GARY and Opportunist with Admiral Piett. Sharron and I made this squad a while back doing just this. speedy-speeders While it isn't the most competitive of squads, it is rather fun ThumpUp
TheHutts
Posted: Monday, May 5, 2014 3:32:22 AM

Yeah, I was only really thinking about it in Republic - it does get quite a bit better with options in Imperial, just didn't cross my mind when I was writing it. I've edited the article, and upped the rating to a 7. Thanks for the heads up.
countrydude82487
Posted: Monday, May 5, 2014 4:58:22 AM

TheHutts wrote:
Chewbacca and Ewoks in AT-ST, from Scum and Villlainy

Quote:
50 points, Rebel
Hit Points: 100
Attack: 9
Damage: 40

Special Abilities
Unique
Wookiee
Speed 8 (Can move up to 8 squares and attack, or 16 squares without attacking)
Accurate Shot (Can attack an enemy with cover even if it's not the nearest enemy)
Ambush (This character can move and then make all his attacks against 1 enemy who has not activated this round)
Damage Reduction 10 (Whenever this character takes damage, reduce the damage dealt by 10. Attacks with lightsabers ignore this special ability.)
Double Attack (On his turn, this character can make 1 extra attack instead of moving)
Ewok Leader (Allied Ewoks within 6 squares get +4 Defense and gain Advantageous Cover)
Mounted Weapon (Only allies with Mounted Weapon or adjacent allies with Gunner can combine fire with this character)
Rigid (Can't squeeze)
Rout (Whenever a character in your squad defeats an enemy commander, move each other enemy within 6 squares of that commander up to its Speed away from the commander's square. This movement does not trigger attacks of opportunity.)

Chewbacca and Ewoks in AT-ST suffer from the same issues as a lot of other Huge pieces, slowed by difficult terrain and having to find a landing place for his fat base, as well as a really low attack of +9. Despite these constraints, Chewbacca does have some power - 40 damage accurate shots are nothing to sniff at, and Rout is also interesting on an accurate shot piece. Chewbacca can be bought into Republic via Merumeru, but I think his best synergies are in Rebels - he really needs evade to function, and he can get it from either Han Rebel General or Rieekan. He has potential in an Ewok based squad - Chief Chirpa can give him Gregarious to help his really low attack. I'm thinking he's still more of a themed piece at this stage - huge is a big constraint, and even with good ranged defenses he'll still get cut up very quickly by a good melee squad - but I'd love to see someone play the new Ewok squads and prove me wrong. And at least he's an interesting and fun piece; 5/10.

I actually Like him, Especially in Builds with the Golden One. WIth the NEwer han you can give him bodyguard too which is nice on a piece with DR. Not to mention he gives any ewoks (including luke and the gang) Effectively +8 Defense. Which can be outstanding. I think Eventually there may be a competitive build with him, if we could get some other door control as an ewok....
TimmerB123
Posted: Monday, May 5, 2014 7:02:07 AM

Dr Daman wrote:

While that is true in Republic, it isn't so in Imperial. You can bring these guys into Imps using Moff Disra (or the more expensive Palps, but why would ya?).

See my squad above. It really takes a higher point level, but the answer to "why would ya?" is simply that you can then use Pellaeon and Thrawn. Then they become insanely good. It's nearly like having a lancer then, but no Melee hate can harm it and they can attack from range at the end of a strafe.
TheHutts
Posted: Monday, May 5, 2014 3:04:46 PM

Kazdan Paratus from The Force Unleashed

Quote:
55 points, Republic (with Rebel Affinity)
Hit Points: 110
Attack: 12

Special Abilities
Unique
Affinity (May be in a Rebel squad)
Droid Mark (When this character activates, you may choose an allied Droid character within 6 squares. Until the start of the next round, that character gains Draw Fire)
Immediate Droid Reserves 30 (If you roll exactly 5, 10, 15, or 20 for initiative, you can add up to 30 points of non-Unique Droid characters from any faction to your squad, adjacent to this character, immediately before your first activation of the round)

Force Powers
Force 3
Lightsaber Block (Force 1: When hit by a melee attack, this character takes no damage with a save of 11)
Lightsaber Deflect (Force 1: When hit by a nonmelee attack, this character takes no damage with a save of 11)
Surprise Move (Force 1; Once per round, after initiative is determined, this character can immediately move up to his Speed before any other character activates)

Before we get started, here are some of the best quotes from Kazdan's page:

Quote:
Whoever placed the errata on his Surprise Move should be castrated.

Quote:
Wonderfull figure, but more than ever the essencial is in the iniciatives. The sculp is wonderfull too

Reserves pieces are intrinisically fun, but mostly intrinsically uncompetitive. Just bring in an Muun Tactics Broker against it (as long as your squad has enough activations to handle it), and your opponent won't get any reserves all game, and all the fancy reserve infrastructure that they have in their squad will be wasted. Kazdan especially fits into the fun category, since he allows some weird combos - with Gha Nachkt in your base squad, you can get a Lancer in a Rebel or Republic squad. Furthermore, he also fits into the fun category as he generally brings in pieces that have little synergy with each other - you can have a Rebel Lancer, but without the support it can get in a Separatist squad, it's nowhere near as effective. Kazdan can definitely provide some fun builds, and blur inter-faction boundaries, but he's not a very strong piece overall. 4/10.
TheHutts
Posted: Monday, May 5, 2014 7:49:35 PM

Dengar, from Rebel Storm

Quote:
15 points, Fringe
Hit Points: 40
Defense: 17

Special Abilities
Unique
Bounty Hunter +4 (+4 Attack against Unique enemies)

I really don't think there's anything this piece can do that another piece can't. He's a reasonably reliable shooter for his points, but his 40 hit points and lack of defensive abilities make him untenable. For another 3 points, you can get Lando Dashing Scoundrel, who has similar stats, but is much more defensively solid with mobile and evade. Of course it's not Dengar's fault - apart from his debilitating injuries, there's simply been a lot of power creep since Rebel Storm. 1/10.
FlyingArrow
Posted: Monday, May 5, 2014 8:00:30 PM
Groups: Member , Moderator

The Rise of Dengar
http://www.bloomilk.com/Forums/default.aspx?g=posts&t=8033

Worth reading.
Again.
TheHutts
Posted: Monday, May 5, 2014 8:13:08 PM

I think I missed that first time around. Dengar on Tauntaun is my favourite.