RegisterDonateLogin

Makes you strong enough to pull the ears off a Gundark.

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Members

Rolling Mini of the Day (Urai Fen) Options
TheHutts
Posted: Sunday, April 13, 2014 12:41:21 PM
Groups: Member

TimmerB123 wrote:
=TheHutts wrote:

The Rodian Trader piece is a fun design idea, but annoys me simply because he's way overused

Really!?! I guess when he first came out he was used for like a minute, but here in the US we figured out what you have stated here pretty quickly and I haven't seen one used in years.

For the record, I've never seen one on the table in NZ, I just see it used in the squad builder a lot - although not so much in the last six months or so.

Without making it too personal, there are currently 96 squads in the squad builder like this one with the CLobot and Rodian Trader combo: http://www.bloomilk.com/Squad/125368/who-needs-a-commander
TheHutts
Posted: Sunday, April 13, 2014 1:01:40 PM

Here's some data aggregation for the 2 weeks of ratings so far. I've covered 39 of 1280 possible pieces (ignoring epics and reprints) so far, so it's maybe heading towards a reasonable sample size (is anyone here a statistics professor?):

Average rating for a v-set piece: 7.23
Average rating for a WOTC piece: 4.73

Here's a box and whiskers plot of the same data. We probably need to get more data in there (there are definitely some v-set 11s out there, they just haven't come up on random yet). But so far the WOTC median is the same as the lowest v-set rating. Basically, the v-set power level looks pretty similar to what WOTC would look like if the 50% of WOTC pieces that are unplayably bad through WOTC powercreep or were useless straight out of the box were to be removed:

From Wikipedia:
"Box and whisker plots are uniform in their use of the box: the bottom and top of the box are always the first and third quartiles, and the band inside the box is always the second quartile (the median). But the ends of the whiskers ... represent ... the minimum and maximum of all of the data."

Breakdown by Faction (these samples are way too small to draw conclusions from for the averages, it's just interesting):
Fringe: 11, average rating 5.0
Imperial: 4, average rating 3.8
Mandalorian: 3, average rating 9.0
New Republic: 1, average rating 7.0
Old Republic: 2, average rating 6.5
Rebel: 3, average rating 7.3
Republic: 6, average rating 6.0
Separatist: 5, average rating 4.0
Sith: 3, average rating 3.7
Yuuzhan Vong: 2, average rating 7.0
TheHutts
Posted: Sunday, April 13, 2014 1:22:07 PM

Rebel Snowspeeder, from Bounty Hunters

Quote:
38 points, Rebel
Hit Points: 60
Defense: 16
Attack: 8
Damage: 20

Flight (Ignores difficult terrain, enemy characters, low objects, and pits when moving)
Damage Reduction 10 (Whenever this character takes damage, reduce the damage dealt by 10. Attacks with lightsabers ignore this special ability.)
Harpoon Gun (Replaces attacks: range 6; target enemy with Mounted Weapon cannot move this round; save 11)
Mobile Attack (Can move both before and after attacking)
Mounted Weapon (Only allies with Mounted Weapon or adjacent allies with Gunner can combine fire with this character)
Speed 16 (Can move up to 16 squares and attack, or 32 squares without attacking)
Twin Attack (Whenever this character attacks, it makes 1 extra attack against the same target)

I really don't know what to make of this piece; it's obviously inferior to both Luke's Snowspeeder and Wedge's Snowspeeder (and even Wedge's Snowspeeder is more of a themed piece), so it's unlikely to see any play at 200 points. But the Rebel Snowspeeder is at least better than most other WOTC huges - it's got Flight and Speed 16, although its 60 hit points and 8 attack are very low for its cost, and probably keep it from getting much use. Realistically, being better than most than most WOTC huges isn't saying much, but at least the Snowspeeder is a nice theme piece; it's just never going to see any tournament play. 3/10.
Deathwielded
Posted: Sunday, April 13, 2014 3:54:53 PM

Keep the reviews coming TheHutts! I always read them even if I don't comment. I usaully am in complete agreement with your ratings and I appreciate the charts.

I have to laugh as I'm one of those N00bs that use the Rodian Trader and Squib Trader. (I have never really used CLObot outside of reserves squads though, and I don't play much of those either) I have since learned my lesson. Blushing I did make one decently interesting squad with the Squib Trader though Tater Tott Lets Zam Ride A Drexl
Deathwielded
Posted: Sunday, April 13, 2014 3:57:06 PM

FlyingArrow wrote:
juice man wrote:
I brought in not one, but two Rodian Traders through Lobot about a month ago. ( my opponent had Marn, and I wanted to make sure he didn't bribe anybody.)

Why not bring in a 20 point piece?
I'm guess for the extra act?
TheHutts
Posted: Sunday, April 13, 2014 4:00:14 PM

Deathwielded wrote:
Keep the reviews coming TheHutts! I always read them even if I don't comment. I usaully am in complete agreement with your ratings and I appreciate the charts.

I have to laugh as I'm one of those N00bs that use the Rodian Trader and Squib Trader. (I have never really used CLObot outside of reserves squads though, and I don't play much of those either) I have since learned my lesson. Blushing I did make one decently interesting squad with the Squib Trader though Tater Tott Lets Zam Ride A Drexl

IMO, the Squib Trader is a completely different kettle of fish, as it gives out MUCH better abilities - I think at least it's a very valid reinforcement option if you're playing against a Lancer or Yobuck, and you want to give your big pieces satchel charge to prevent a lockout, and there are probably other things you can do with it as well.

I am interested in quantifying the power level of v-sets vs WOTC - I guess that's what's driving me now, even if it wasn't to start with. My thinking is that if I put up a number for each piece, with some info justifying it, that people can correct me about, it makes the final result fair. I have altered at least a couple of ratings so far after being convinced by people that I'd underrated pieces.
TheHutts
Posted: Sunday, April 13, 2014 4:03:39 PM

Captain Panaka, from Knights of the Old Republic

Quote:
23 points, Republic
Hit Points: 70
Defense: 16
Attack: 8
Damage: 10

Special Abilities
Unique
Bodyguard (If an adjacent ally would take damage from an attack, this character can take the damage instead)
Opportunist (+4 Attack and +10 Damage against an enemy who has activated this round)

Commander Effect
At the end of this character's turn, 2 Medium allies within 6 squares of this character can switch positions.

Like I said on the review of Luke Rebel Commando, efficient movement breakers are among the elite pieces in this game, and Captain Panaka is one of them. He's actually a very well thought out piece, who's fairly costed, and has three strings to his bow - he's a useful shooter, he's a bodyguard, and he gives the Republic access to swap. While WOTC gave a few factions swap, it only really flourished in the two factions with booming voice - other swappers like K-3PO and the Sith Sidious are nowhere near as good.

While the v-sets have extended the Republic's repertoire of competitive squad types so that Panaka's swap isn't as much of a fixture as it used to be, Captain Pancakes remains an important part of their arsenal - Skybuck (http://www.bloomilk.com/Squad/59351/yodabuck-maximum) is still a great squad and he's an integral part of that. An efficient piece with a game warping ability like swap? There's no choice but to give him 11/10.
juice man
Posted: Sunday, April 13, 2014 5:31:27 PM

Deathwielded wrote:
FlyingArrow wrote:
juice man wrote:
I brought in not one, but two Rodian Traders through Lobot about a month ago. ( my opponent had Marn, and I wanted to make sure he didn't bribe anybody.)

Why not bring in a 20 point piece?
I'm guess for the extra act?
I think I had one R-7 (or maybe R-2 Extended) in the base squad, and planned on Lobot for extra door control. By putting two Traders in I'd get at least one who could hand out door control. My opponent opted to bring in three uggies of his own instead of one not so good trader.
juice man
Posted: Sunday, April 13, 2014 5:33:15 PM

D'oh.(slaps head) SQUIB trader. Not RodianBlushing
juice man
Posted: Sunday, April 13, 2014 5:34:57 PM

Taxes do that. Time for bed.
PrimeClone
Posted: Sunday, April 13, 2014 6:10:46 PM

Just wanted to ad that I too read these reviews and am learning allot from them. Thank you so much.

Cheers
TheHutts
Posted: Sunday, April 13, 2014 6:47:08 PM

Thanks for the compliments. I do enjoy writing these - I try and do one on my morning break, lunchtime, and afternoon break each day. I really don't think I'm going to get through all 1,280 unique minis though... there are only so many mediocre minis you can cover without getting bored. Case in point...

Toydarian Soldier, from Masters of the Force

Quote:
5 points, Fringe
Hit Points: 10
Defense: 15
Attack: 3

Special Abilities
Flight (Ignores difficult terrain, enemy characters, low objects, and pits when moving)
Strong Willed (Cannot be affected by Jedi Mind Trick)

The Toydarian Soldier is a 5 point fringe shooter, but since there aren't many ways to boost it ahead of say a Bespin Guard, it ends up very bland. I guess the Toydarian might have a use as an Ugnaught swapper with Flight in an Imperial build, but it's too marginal of a use to justify a space in my reinforcements box. Enough to save it from getting a 1 though, and I recommend buying one to use as a proxy for Salacious Crumb and Watto, 2/10.

That hardly counts as a Mini of the Day, since it's so boring. Let's look at something else more interesting. Here's a doozy - thanks randomiser!

IG Lancer Droid, from Clone Wars Battles

Quote:
31 points, Separatist
Hit Points: 50
Defense: 17
Attack: 10

Special Abilities
Droid (Immune to critical hits; not subject to commander effects)
Speed 12 (Can move up to 12 squares and attack, or 24 squares without attacking)
Melee Attack (Can attack only adjacent enemies)
Strafe Attack (As this character moves, it can attack each enemy whose space it enters; this turn, this character cannot attack any enemy twice and cannot move directly back into a space it has just left. This ability is usable only on this character's turn.)

In my opinion, the Lancer is up there with General Dodonna as the single most ridiculous mini ever created. With Speed 12, flight, and strafe, it can rip through an opponent's squad without taking any damage in return, creating a huge negative play experience. To boot, it was released in the same set as an amazing commander - General Grievous Droid Army Commander gives these puppies +4 attack, +4 defense, and twin attack. Plus it's in the same faction and has great synergy as another power piece, Clone Strike Darth Sidious, whose Pawn of the Dark Side can allow a Lancer to activate twice per round, allowing it to clean out entire squads. And don't forget the Battle Droid Officer, who gives the Lancer an extra +4 attack. And Whorm's also helpful if you don't want to build your entire squad around a Lancer - they're so strong that they can function in quite different roles, either as one run fodder clearers or as juiced up primary attackers.

To quote Weeks "If you don't know how your team will handle lancer/if your opponent knows how to handle lancer, then look out. He will be rolling a bunch of dice and you'll be walking around the store looking at comics while everyone else finishes."

To be fair, the Lancer have weaknesses; with 50 hit points, if anything catches up with it it's in trouble, and since it's melee it's vulnerable to Djem So and Riposte from Jedi. But overall, it's in a faction with enough tech to keep it safe, and it's one of the biggest gatekeepers in the game - if your squad doesn't have a plan for how to deal with the Lancer, it's probably not tournament ready.

The Lancer has received some hate in the most recent v-set, with a couple of potential reinforcement pieces (Buzz Droid and LIN Demolitionech) providing squads more options to counter the Lancer. I'm interested to see if they limit the play time of Lancers or not; we also have the emergence of Daala swarms that the Lancer will undoubtedly enjoy decimating.....

11/10
Darth O
Posted: Sunday, April 13, 2014 9:38:34 PM

Would you use a Lancer as a throw-in for a squad without Pawn of the Darkside?
TheHutts
Posted: Monday, April 14, 2014 12:38:47 AM

Darth O wrote:

Someone who can actually win tournament games with Separatists should take this question.... but it does look like the vast majority of successful builds use Sidious with the Lancer. I guess there is a continuum from completely Lancer focused builds (GGDAC with two Lancers) to builds with one Lancer supplemented by a variety of different attackers.

Imperial Governor Tarkin, from Alliance and Empire

Quote:
22 points, Imperial
Hit Points: 50
Defense: 14
Attack: 5

Special Abilities
Unique
Doctrine of Fear (Enemy characters within 6 squares get -4 Attack)

Commander Effect
Allied commanders within 6 squares gain Extra Attack.

Imperial Governor Tarkin boasts just about the only CE in the game that specifically boosts other commanders, and it's very effective in Imperials, who have some commanders who are potent attackers. With a decent number of hit points and a creative special ability that's not to be underestimated - I've lost a tournament game due to Tarkin's Doctrine of Fear - he's still a very viable piece for some specific builds. Spryguy took him to a Regional win in 2012 with http://www.bloomilk.com/Squad/117511/-weir-thering-the-storm--pa-regional-winner. Tarkin's also an option for Imperial Twi'lek Black Sun Vigo squads, which enjoyed some popularity back in 2009-10: to quote Darth_Reignir: "there really are some pretty broken vanilla teams (We played one game where we had Twi'Lek Vigo's shooting at a 17 attack for 40! FOUR shots WITH greater mobile!!)"

Based on what we've seen already in this thread, Alliance and Empire has a lot, of pieces that stand up really well - arguably it's where WOTC powercreep really started to kick in in earnest; in a faction full of great commanders, Imperial Governor Tarkin is still one of their best. 9/10.
countrydude82487
Posted: Monday, April 14, 2014 2:08:19 AM

Tarkin has always been one of my favorite imp commanders. HE brings so much to the table and broke the mold, so to speak, for the commander that just affected followers. Plus he is one of the few Imperial Commanders that encourage you to engage your enemies because of Doctrine of Fear. Most still dont, but it does grant that backup plan in case of emergency. (not to mention if played with Atris, it can be a killer build. Giving opponents -8 attack.)
sephiroth99is
Posted: Monday, April 14, 2014 6:02:56 AM

Darth O wrote:

If you don't have room for Sidious (POTD), one option is to build your squad to outactivate and use Lobot to bring in an MTB. That way you can do an end of round strafe and bring it back at the beginning of next round. Just don't roll a 1 on init otherwise you're toast if you lose the following init roll. :-)

In general though, it is much better to have Sidious in your squad.
FlyingArrow
Posted: Monday, April 14, 2014 6:54:07 AM
Groups: Member , Moderator

Generally, you'd use both Sidious and an MTB. Out-activate, move 48 squares at the end of the round. Auto-win init and move another 24.
TimmerB123
Posted: Monday, April 14, 2014 7:18:07 AM

FlyingArrow wrote:
Generally, you'd use both Sidious and an MTB. Out-activate, move 48 squares at the end of the round. Auto-win init and move another 24.

Mmmmm. Music to my ears.

I think I've done that once or twice
TheHutts
Posted: Monday, April 14, 2014 9:37:41 AM

Elite Snowtrooper, from Rebel Storm

Quote:
12 points, Imperial
Hit Points: 30
Defense: 17
Attack: 6

Elite Snowtroopers are a strong piece for 12 points, and they're subject to lots of Imperial CEs. They do, however, have the issue that all the boosts they're eligible for - and it's a formidable list including charging fire, rapport, damage boosts, attack boosts, cunning, and opportunist - the 7 point vanilla Snowtrooper is also eligible for. The 7 point Snowtrooper also has the advantage that with 10 base damage, it's eligible for twin from the Czerka. I can see why it happened - after all, it would be unnecessarily clunky to have boosts specifically for Elite Snowtroopers and not normal Snowtroopers - but it does mean that this competent piece doesn't get out of the box very often. 6/10.
TheHutts
Posted: Monday, April 14, 2014 9:49:53 AM

Mara Jade, Jedi, from Alliance and Empire

Quote:
45 points, New Republic
Hit Points: 110
Defense: 20
Attack: 12

Special Abilities
Unique
Cunning Attack (+4 Attack and +10 Damage against an enemy who has not activated this round)
Deadly Attack (Scores a critical hit on an attack roll of natural 19 or 20)
Lightsaber (+10 Damage against adjacent enemies)
Stealth (If this character has cover, she does not count as the nearest enemy for an attacker farther than 6 squares when choosing targets)
Twin Attack (Whenever this character attacks, she makes 1 extra attack against the same target)

Force Powers
Force 4
Lightsaber Assault (Force 1, replaces attacks: Make 2 attacks)
Lightsaber Block (Force 1: When hit by a melee attack, this character takes no damage with a save of 11)

Mara Jade Jedi's been the New Republic's premier spearhead since her release in 2007. With her non-melee, Cunning, Lightsaber Assaults, she can drop 120 damage on most pieces, and the traditional melee defenses of Riposte, Block, and Djem So all don't work against her, making her devastating against a lot of pieces. Jaded Galaxy was a major squad during the 150 pt era, featuring Mara, Han GH, Dodonna, Ugnaughts, and Lobot, while the release of Ganner Rhysode and his Levitation in Masters of the Force made her even more frightening, giving her a huge range to terrorise the board.

Since Mara is reliant on her Force Power, she can struggle in some metas; Ysalamari shuts her down, as does Force Absorb and Defense. But she's dominated other metas; Solo Charge (http://www.bloomilk.com/Squad/82551/solo-charge) was hugely successful and popular during 2010 and 2011. When there's nothing cramping her style, Mara Jade Jedi is absolutely deadly, and she's easily one of the best and scariest Jedi in the game. 10/10.