RegisterDonateLogin

The Force is with Bloo Milk, but it is not a Jedi yet.

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Members

Rolling Mini of the Day (Urai Fen) Options
TheHutts
Posted: Sunday, April 6, 2014 4:00:42 PM
Groups: Member

Captain Rex, 501st Commander, from Galaxy at War

Quote:
41 points, Republic
Hit Points: 80
Defense: 16
Attack: 13
Damage: 30

Special Abilities
Unique
Order 66
Flight (Ignores difficult terrain, enemy characters, low objects, and pits when moving)
Double Attack (On his turn, this character can make 1 extra attack instead of moving)
Greater Mobile Attack (Can move both before and after attacking. This character can make extra attacks even if he moves this turn, but he must make them all before resuming movement.)

Commander Effect
Allies with Order 66 that end their moves within 6 squares of this character can move 2 extra squares at the end of their turns.

Despite the addition of flight, 501st Rex struggles to see play in the Republic when compared to the Clone Wars' Captain Rex; the original is 8 points cheaper, has a higher damage ceiling, and a more useful Commander Effect. But this version of the Rex does have his own niche, as he can be bought into Imperials with Darth Vader, Sith Apprentice from Masters of the Force. Once he's in Imperials you can load him up with Extra Attack from Imperial Governor Tarkin and Opportunist from Mitt'Thrawn, making him a deadly +17 for 40 damage, GMA, Triple shooter. It's not the premier Thrawn build out there, and I haven't seen it mentioned for quite a while, but it's still strong enough to get this version of Rex a solid 8/10.
Deathwielded
Posted: Sunday, April 6, 2014 4:27:29 PM

TheHutts wrote:
Mandalorian Crusader, from Vengeance (http://www.bloomilk.com/Character/1157/mandalorian-crusader)

Quote:
7 points, Mandalorian
Hit Points: 10
Defense: 14
Attack: 5
Damage: 10

Crack Shot (Whenever this character combines fire against a target within 6 squares, damage from the attack cannot be prevented or redirected)
Splash 10 (If this character's attack hits, all characters adjacent to the target take 10 damage; save 11. If the attack misses, the target and all adjacent characters take 10 damage; save 11.)

For some reason, the Mandalorians suffered from a lack of cheap grunts under WOTC - after the 8 point Taung Warrior, which came out in Masters of the Force and was mostly ignored, their next cheapest piece was 13 points. So this useful little 7 point piece is a great addition to the faction. The Crusader's stats are in line with the average 7 point piece, which means that it's not going to last long, but it brings two very useful Special Abilities - Splash helps it to clear away fodder walls (especially as it can access twin easily in the Mandos), and Crack Shot helps Mandos to put dents in big tank pieces. It's a really helpful, well thought out piece, that's going to be considered for most Mando squads. 10/10.

I do find situations were I could use him, but often I overlook him and put in something like 2 uggies. Great review I will definitely consider using him more in the future. (right now I only have him in one good squad and I haven't A played it and B I only threw one in) I would rate him 8/10 for really helpful, but not quite an auto include.
TheHutts
Posted: Sunday, April 6, 2014 4:36:45 PM

Deathwielded wrote:
I do find situations were I could use him, but often I overlook him and put in something like 2 uggies. Great review I will definitely consider using him more in the future. (right now I only have him in one good squad and I haven't A played it and B I only threw one in) I would rate him 8/10 for really helpful, but not quite an auto include.

I was wavering between a 9 or a 10 for him, but generally what I'm looking for doing these reviews is well thought out and appropriately costed minis, and I think this piece succeeds in those terms. Normally you wouldn't want to run more than 1 or 2 Crusaders a squad - they're a nice little support piece, not a piece to build your whole squad around - which gives them their own distinct identity.
Darth O
Posted: Sunday, April 6, 2014 4:52:54 PM

I'd really like to see that Rex/Vader/Thrawn/Tarkin combo in today's meta. It looks pretty good on paper with a beatstick and a high-damage shooter with boardwide swap.
TheHutts
Posted: Sunday, April 6, 2014 4:59:49 PM

Darth O wrote:
I'd really like to see that Rex/Vader/Thrawn/Tarkin combo in today's meta. It looks pretty good on paper with a beatstick and a high-damage shooter with boardwide swap.

I guess while 501st Rex is good in Imperials, maybe it's more efficient to just use Cad Bane and another piece of your choice - it means that you don't have to drop 22 points on Tarkin, and you can get more activations in there. Rex might be a more viable option now that the Czerka Shield Tech is out there shutting down twin - is that what you're referring to? I liked swapping out that Vader for Carnor Jax in a lot of matchups using Pellaeon - Carnor Jax is pretty cool with Thrawn and Tarkin, with better stats than Vader and constant 120 damage with in-built cunning.
juice man
Posted: Sunday, April 6, 2014 5:03:20 PM

"Spinal Tap" scale.LOL
TheHutts
Posted: Sunday, April 6, 2014 6:43:54 PM

Our first from Old Republic; Vodo-Siosk Baas, from Jedi Academy (http://www.bloomilk.com/Character/802/vodo-siosk-baas)

Quote:
44 points, Old Republic
Hit Points: 120
Defense: 22
Attack: 15
Damage: 20

Special Abilities
Unique
Melee Attack (Can attack only adjacent enemies)
Double Attack (On his turn, this character can make 1 extra attack instead of moving)
Parry (When hit by a melee attack, this character takes no damage with a save of 11)

Force Powers
Force 5
Force Alter (Force 1: range 6; any 1 enemy rerolls its last attack)
Force Spirit 4 (If this character is defeated, immediately add 4 Force points to an ally with a Force rating; that ally can spend Force points 1 extra time per turn for the rest of the skirmish)
Master of the Force 2 (May spend Force points up to 2 times in a single turn)

It is a truth universally acknowledged that Old Republic were the worst faction before the v-sets - they had nothing to tie the faction together as a whole, and ended up a bland grab bag of Jedi and non-uniques. Having said that, Vodo-Siosk is a likeable and flavourful piece - with Parry and Force Alter, as well as 22 defense, he's tough for melee to take down, while Force Spirit 4 is a very helpful Force Power if you're running multiple Jedi (the thought of Satele Shan running around with MOTF3 and four extra force points is certainly frightening). But while Vodo does bring a lot to the table, 44 points is simply too much to pay for a piece that can only do 40 damage per round and who only has his high defense to protect himself against shooters. Vodo is an enjoyable piece, but he's just too expensive in what's often a shooter dominated game. 5/10
FlyingArrow
Posted: Sunday, April 6, 2014 7:47:23 PM
Groups: Member , Moderator

Darth Cthulu.
Darth O
Posted: Monday, April 7, 2014 2:27:35 AM

TheHutts wrote:
Darth O wrote:

I guess while 501st Rex is good in Imperials, maybe it's more efficient to just use Cad Bane and another piece of your choice - it means that you don't have to drop 22 points on Tarkin, and you can get more activations in there. Rex might be a more viable option now that the Czerka Shield Tech is out there shutting down twin - is that what you're referring to? I liked swapping out that Vader for Carnor Jax in a lot of matchups using Pellaeon - Carnor Jax is pretty cool with Thrawn and Tarkin, with better stats than Vader and constant 120 damage with in-built cunning.

I never thought about the Czerka Shield Tech actually. I was thinking about how wide open the meta is, and how a squad like that could slot in. Cad Bane does make it harder for Rex to see any game time sadly.
TheHutts
Posted: Monday, April 7, 2014 1:20:49 PM

Mandalorian Gunsmith, from Destiny of the Force (http://www.bloomilk.com/Character/1015/mandalorian-gunsmith)

Quote:
16 points, Mandalorian
Hit Points: 40
Attack: 8

Cunning Attack +20 (+4 Attack and +20 Damage against an enemy who has not activated this round)
Ion Gun +20 (+20 Damage against nonliving characters)
Mobile Attack (Can move both before and after attacking)
Override (At the end of his turn, this character can designate 1 door that he can see as open or closed; it remains open or closed until the end of this character's next turn, or until he is defeated)

The v-set designers have done a great job with the Mandalorian faction, giving them plenty of flavour and good options, to the point where it's almost viable to run a Mandalorian pure squad, since they have a lot of the key game abilities covered in-faction. The Gunsmith is their in-faction override piece, who's also a good shooter; a very similar skill set to the excellent Elite Rebel Commando, although he the Gunsmith is weaker defensively with 10 less hit points and no stealth. The lack of stealth means that I always end up losing my Gunsmiths quickly, whenever I run them - as Deri points out below, he shouldn't really be used as the primary override piece in a squad. For the cost he's a good shooter, with easy access to twin and other Mandalorian CEs, and override's always an essential ability to have on the board. 9/10

\/ Read Deri's analysis down below - his perspective that the Gunsmith is a shooter with door control is a much better way to think about this piece.
fingersandteeth
Posted: Monday, April 7, 2014 4:16:10 PM

i never use the gunsmith as a primary override piece. He's like r2 in the republic, you have to pack other override units either because the figure is doing things other than locking the door you need or they are too important to. They are not as good as the ERC in the rebels although they can have similar outputs without considering princess leia.

He's a mobile attacking gun that has door stuff.
Use his mobility, keep him hidden and lock doors if your able.
TheHutts
Posted: Monday, April 7, 2014 4:42:21 PM

Rodian Mercenary, from Clone Strike

Quote:
9 points, Fringe
Hit Points: 20
Attack: 4

Special Abilities
Mercenary (This character can move only if he cannot make an attack from his starting space)

WOTC were generally poor at making non-uniques in the 6-12 point range, and this is another of many faceless, interchangeable, and overcosted pieces. Double attack built into a 9 point piece isn't bad, but Mercenary is a huge restriction. The CEs for Mercenary pieces aren't strong enough to make mercenary pieces worth using, and in any case the Rodian Mercenary isn't eligible for Nym's CE since it already has double attack. Even amongst the Rodian pieces, the Rodian Raider from Dark Times costs 1 extra point, has triple attack, no Mercenary, and +1 attack, and is going to work much better than this piece is most squads. As the cheapest Fringe Mercenary that can shoot, I guess the Rodian Mercenary has a very slight niche, but I still can't see anyone ever playing it. 2/10
TheHutts
Posted: Monday, April 7, 2014 7:22:55 PM

Aqualish Assassin, from Bounty Hunters

Quote:
7 points, Fringe
Defense: 15
Attack: 7

Black Sun (If a character whose name contains Xizor or Vigo is in the same squad, this character gains Grenades 10)
Opportunist (+4 Attack and +10 Damage against an enemy who has activated this round)
Stealth (If this character has cover, he does not count as the nearest enemy for an attacker farther than 6 squares when choosing targets)

Having just said that WOTC didn't do non-uniques in the 6-12 point range very well in my previous post, the randomiser's thrown up a strong counter example. The Aqualish Assassin is a piece with a lot of possibilities for melee swarm squads - with a high attack, stealth, opportunist, and access to Black Sun boosts, he's a really good piece for 7 points. The Aqualish Assassin's best use is traditionally in Rebels with the Ithorian Commander and Han in Stormtrooper Armor - giving them Charging Fire and +4 attack and +10 damage. While they were a strong squad, 20hp melee pieces do have problems against the Lancer and Yobuck, and they've been a less popular build since the release of those two pieces in the Clone Wars era, although an Aqualish squad did squeeze through to the top 4 of the Missouri Regional in 2011. While it may have been surpassed by modern swarm options like Daala Snow swarms and Republic Naboo death shots, the Aqualish Assassin is still a really good piece for 7 points, with lots of possibilities, and earns a respectable 7/10.
darthbinks1
Posted: Monday, April 7, 2014 7:27:03 PM

If one could fit in Jabba Crime Lord to that build, that also would be fierce.
TheHutts
Posted: Monday, April 7, 2014 7:30:39 PM

darthbinks1 wrote:
If one could fit in Jabba Crime Lord to that build, that also would be fierce.

I guess Jabba Crime Lord wouldn't have worked in a Rebel melee swarm squad before Mouse Droids came out in Imperial Entanglements, since his CE is range 6? And by that time, Lancers and Yobuck were very popular, which would have made running a swarm of 20hp pieces a dangerous proposition. I wasn't playing at the time, so someone who was might have a better perspective.
TheHutts
Posted: Tuesday, April 8, 2014 2:17:30 AM

Mara Jade Skywalker, Jedi Master, from Jedi vs Sith

Quote:
58 points, New Republic
Defense: 21

Special Abilities
Unique
Double Attack (On her turn, this character can make 1 extra attack instead of moving)
Stealth (If this character has cover, she does not count as the nearest enemy for an attacker farther than 6 squares when choosing targets)
Avoid Defeat (Whenever this character would be defeated, make 2 saves, each needing 11; if both succeed, this character has 10 Hit Points instead of being defeated)
Backlash (This character can move and then make all of its attacks against 1 enemy who has already activated this round)
Draw Fire (If an enemy targets an ally within 6 squares of this character, you may force that enemy to target this character instead if it can; save 11)
Loner (+4 Attack if no allies are within 6 squares)
Noble Sacrifice (When this character is defeated, 1 New Republic ally may make an immediate attack)
Opportunist (+4 Attack and +10 Damage against an enemy who has activated this round)
Protective +10 (+10 Damage while a wounded ally whose name contains Solo or Skywalker is within 6 squares)

Force Powers
Force 2
Force Renewal 1 (This character gets 1 Force point each time she activates)
Lightsaber Defense (Force 1: When hit by an attack, this character takes no damage with a save of 11)
Lightsaber Flurry (Force 1, replaces attacks: Make 4 attacks at -10 Damage)
Surprise Move (Force 1; Once per round, after initiative is determined, this character can immediately move up to her Speed before any other character activates)

Commander Effect
New Republic Unique followers with a Force rating within 6 squares gain Avoid Defeat.

This version of Mara Jade had a hard act to follow; the Mara Jade Jedi from Alliance and Empire is one of the best pieces in the game, a faction defining piece with her ability to drop 120 damage on almost any piece within striking range. While this version isn't the efficient straight out killing that MJJ is, Mara Jade Skywalker Jedi Master is a multi-faceted piece with plenty of interesting abilities; to the point where she's infamous for having the most stacked card in the game outside of the Epics. I do actually appreciate the throw everything at the wall approach of this piece, but admittedly it is a lot to take in for an opponent. In my opinion, she does need to be getting the bonus damage from Protective +10 to be worth her points - and when she pulls off a Flurry with Opportunist and Protective, she's still only at 120 damage, the same as Mara Jade Jedi. There was definite concern about her CE handing out Avoid Defeat, but I've yet to hear of it causing problems at competitive level. I really enjoy playing this piece, but I do think that she falls just short of competitive level (which I define as an 8 on my scale) despite some interesting potential, especially when she has to contend with Mara Jade Jedi for table time, so she gets a solid 7/10.
shatterpoint7
Posted: Tuesday, April 8, 2014 1:22:26 PM

TheHutts wrote:
Mara Jade Skywalker, Jedi Master, from Jedi vs Sith

Quote:
58 points, New Republic
Defense: 21

Special Abilities
Unique
Double Attack (On her turn, this character can make 1 extra attack instead of moving)
Stealth (If this character has cover, she does not count as the nearest enemy for an attacker farther than 6 squares when choosing targets)
Avoid Defeat (Whenever this character would be defeated, make 2 saves, each needing 11; if both succeed, this character has 10 Hit Points instead of being defeated)
Backlash (This character can move and then make all of its attacks against 1 enemy who has already activated this round)
Draw Fire (If an enemy targets an ally within 6 squares of this character, you may force that enemy to target this character instead if it can; save 11)
Loner (+4 Attack if no allies are within 6 squares)
Noble Sacrifice (When this character is defeated, 1 New Republic ally may make an immediate attack)
Protective +10 (+10 Damage while a wounded ally whose name contains Solo or Skywalker is within 6 squares)

Force Powers
Force 2
Force Renewal 1 (This character gets 1 Force point each time she activates)
Lightsaber Defense (Force 1: When hit by an attack, this character takes no damage with a save of 11)
Lightsaber Flurry (Force 1, replaces attacks: Make 4 attacks at -10 Damage)
Surprise Move (Force 1; Once per round, after initiative is determined, this character can immediately move up to her Speed before any other character activates)

Commander Effect
New Republic Unique followers with a Force rating within 6 squares gain Avoid Defeat.

This version of Mara Jade had a hard act to follow; the Mara Jade Jedi from Alliance and Empire is one of the best pieces in the game, a faction defining piece with her ability to drop 120 damage on almost any piece within striking range. While this version isn't the efficient straight out killing that MJJ is, Mara Jade Skywalker Jedi Master is a multi-faceted piece with plenty of interesting abilities; to the point where she's infamous for having the most stacked card in the game outside of the Epics. I do actually appreciate the throw everything at the wall approach of this piece, but admittedly it is a lot to take in for an opponent. In my opinion, she does need to be getting the bonus damage from Protective +10 to be worth her points - and when she pulls off a Flurry with Opportunist and Protective, she's still only at 120 damage, the same as Mara Jade Jedi. There was definite concern about her CE handing out Avoid Defeat, but I've yet to hear of it causing problems at competitive level. I really enjoy playing this piece, but I do think that she falls just short of competitive level (which I define as an 8 on my scale) despite some interesting potential, especially when she has to contend with Mara Jade Jedi for table time, so she gets a solid 7/10.

I think she is the #1 piece I dont use because of how many abilities she has. Slows the game down, especially if you and your opponent are seeing her for the 1st time.
TheHutts
Posted: Tuesday, April 8, 2014 1:26:35 PM

Clone Trooper Sergeant, from Clone Strike (http://www.bloomilk.com/Character/70/clone-trooper-sergeant)

Quote:
10 points, Republic
Defense: 14
Attack: 10

Special Abilities:
Order 66

Commander Effect:
Trooper followers within 6 squares score critical hits on attack rolls of natural 19 or 20.

The Clone Trooper Sergeant is piece from Clone Strike that's simply been left behind by the power creep that occurred during mid to late period WOTC sets. I'm sure the Sergeant was effective at the time, although I assume his primary purpose is to help vanilla Clone Troopers, who have never been a competitive option. It's worth noting that the CE is useless for themed Clones vs Droids battles, since droids are immune to critical hits. Effectively, WOTC replaced the Sergeant with Commander Cody, who has a CE with a wider scope and the added bonus of flurry, who's a much more effective attacker, and who has rapport for Clone Troopers. I guess he could see a little bit of life giving his CE to non-Order 66 troopers, although the only eligible trooper with more that 10 base damage is the Chiss Trooper. 2/10.
Deathwielded
Posted: Tuesday, April 8, 2014 1:44:48 PM

I really have been wanting to use her, but I always go with something else. I think she is a great piece, but I have trouble building a viable squad with her. Very defensive and a great movement breaker for herself, a Loner to be sure as she doesn't really benefit any squad types, she's just good on her own. I would give her an 7/10 for a really good piece.
TheHutts
Posted: Tuesday, April 8, 2014 2:01:58 PM

Looking at the card, maybe she could have lost Loner and Backlash, and it might have streamlined her a bit; I think setting her up for Lightsaber Flurries with Protective is her big trick, and that synergy with other New Republic uniques directs what squads to build with her. I do really like her, she's just hard to fit into a competitive squad at that cost.