Groups: Member

Jawa Trader, from Alliance and Empire

Quote:
9 points, Fringe
Hit Points: 10
Defense: 12
Attack: 4
Damage: 10

Cunning Attack (+4 Attack and +10 Damage against an enemy who has not activated this round)
Evade (When hit by an attack from a nonadjacent enemy, this character takes no damage with a save of 11)
Ion Gun +20 (+20 Damage against nonliving characters)

The Jawa Trader isn't completely awful for 9 points, but noone's ever going to use one, since WOTC all but obsoleted it with the two subsequent Jawas that they released.
- For 1 more point you can get a Jawa Scout, which loses Cunning and Evade but gains Stealth, Spotter +20, and significantly better stats with 20 extra hit points.
- For 4 extra points you can get a Jawa Scavenger, which trades Evade for Stealth, upgrades Cunning to Cunning +20, and adds Accurate Shot. Accurate shot is huge against key droids like R2-D2 Astromech, which makes the Scavenger easily the most popular Jawa, as a potent Lobot reinforcement.
Not completely incompetent (it would be a decent reinforcement option against droids), but WOTC's own power creep has made it obselete. 3/10
FlyingArrow
Posted: Thursday, April 3, 2014 10:49:34 AM
Groups: Member , Moderator

Plus, he's one point too expensive to benefit from Slave Driver. Ummm.... never mind.
adamb0nd
Posted: Thursday, April 3, 2014 12:04:30 PM

TheHutts wrote:
Jawa Trader, from Alliance and Empire

You summed this one up pretty well. Maybe i'd use this piece in a booster draft, but that's about it. The Jawa Scavenger made most jawas obsolete.
TheHutts
Posted: Thursday, April 3, 2014 12:14:21 PM

IG-100 MagnaGuard, from The Clone Wars

Quote:
16 points, Separatist
Hit Points: 60
Defense: 18
Attack: 8
Damage: 20

Special Abilities
Droid (Immune to critical hits; not subject to commander effects)
Melee Attack (Can attack only adjacent enemies)
Lightsaber Resistance (+2 Defense when attacked by an adjacent enemy with a Force rating)
Electrostaff +10 (+10 Damage against adjacent nonliving enemies. An adjacent living enemy hit by this character's attack is considered activated this round; save 11.)

Hey, it's another janky late period droid that is roughly the same cost as an IG-86, but nowhere near as good. Even if the MagnaGuard could shoot, it would be inferior to the IG-86. Electrostaff is potentially useful - you could probably have fun setting up activating your opponent's big piece with the Sep's initiative and tempo control - but Lightsaber Resistance isn't really going to help against good Jedi. It might see a little bit of life as a reinforcement against another Droid squad, and its stats aren't too bad for 16 points, but it's still mostly jank. 3/10
swinefeld
Posted: Thursday, April 3, 2014 12:42:12 PM

Eh, I agree it fails the IG-86 test (as usual).

Electrostaff can activate living characters, so it's not so bad, especially with twin being pretty much a given in Seps.

I'd give it more like a 4.
TheHutts
Posted: Thursday, April 3, 2014 12:48:23 PM

Ooh, I should know that - it's the same ability Jarael has, right? I upgraded it to a high 3.

I don't know what WOTC were thinking with the IG-86. At the least, they could have made it Separatist (or put those stats on a Separatist droid). It's insulting that almost all of their faction-specific droids get outclassed by a Fringe piece.
juice man
Posted: Thursday, April 3, 2014 1:06:33 PM

That makes it 3 times as good as the Commando Droid. Bet one of these could take out three Commando Droids.
Deathwielded
Posted: Thursday, April 3, 2014 1:15:04 PM

FlyingArrow wrote:
His commander effect is the best part about him, but it's too situational to be useful. Might be somewhat playable if the Sith had reinforcements or a Pellaeon type ability.

I totally agree, but honestly I think we could have added something else to him to make him more useful
TheHutts
Posted: Thursday, April 3, 2014 3:03:29 PM

Ki-Adi-Mundi, Jedi Master from Destiny of the Force

Quote:
34 points, Republic
Hit Points: 110
Defense: 19
Attack: 10

Special Abilities
Unique
Double Attack (On his turn, this character can make 1 extra attack instead of moving)
Opportunist (+4 Attack and +10 Damage against an enemy who has activated this round)

Force Powers
Force 4
Anticipation (Force 1: Reroll initiative once per round)
Lightsaber Deflect (Force 1: When hit by a nonmelee attack, this character takes no damage with a save of 11)
Lightsaber Sweep (Force 1, replaces attacks: Can attack each adjacent enemy once)

Commander Effect
At the end of this character's turn, you may activate 1 ally within 6 squares who has not yet activated this round. This does not count towards the number of activations this phase.

The original Ki-Adi-Mundi was from Clone Strike, and like the majority of Clone Strike pieces, had been well and truly outclassed by power creep by the time the first v-set was released. With a damage ceiling of one melee attack at +10, he was hopelessly outdated, despite Anticipation and an interesting CE. This new version feels like a loving remake - they've taken everything from the original Ki-Adi-Mundi, added 20 hit points, 1 defense, and given him double, improved his CE, and given him some more attacking punch with Opportunist and Sweep - a nice package for 34 points.

While he can get overlooked amongst the plethora of choices of mid-range Republic Jedi, he's still a solid piece, and Weeks' Ki-Blast squad enjoyed some popularity in the Destiny of the Force era; the squad ran Ki-Adi-Mundi along with Yobuck, Panaka, Captain Rex, and Ferus Olin. He's a competent attacker with Opportunist and Sweep, and his Anticipation and the option of an extra activation in a phase are both useful tricks for a squad to have up its sleeve. It's interesting to note that his CE combined with Opportunist is a slightly uncomfortable mix, which means that it's often a choice between taking advantage of one or the other of his options; I'm sure the designers built him with this tension purposely. Ki-Adi-Mundi, Jedi Master is a nice remake of a piece that needed it, 8/10.
TheHutts
Posted: Thursday, April 3, 2014 6:07:37 PM

Jakan, Most High Priest from Renegades and Rogues (http://www.bloomilk.com/Character/1079/jakan--most-high-priest)

Quote:
27 points, Yuuzhan Vong
Defense: 16
Attack: 5

Special Abilities:
Unique
Melee Attack
Force Immunity
Scarification +10
Tactician +4

Commander Effect:
Once per round, when an allied Yuuzhan Vong character is defeated, 1 ally may immediately move up to its Speed. (This does not count as an activation.)

This piece takes the Praetorite Vong Priest as a base, and adds a bit of candy and excitement to it. Since the difference in stats and hit points is negligible and irrelevant, given that Jakan shouldn't be fighting much anyway, the main added value from the piece comes from Tactician +4 and his commander effect. The commander effect has a lot of utility, but in practice I find that by the time I put a Shaper, a Yammosk, and some door control and other tech into a 200 point Vong squad, I struggle to justify the 27 point cost for Jakan. It does seem like a great Commander Effect for the melee-based Vong, and I would appreciate seeing it on another character at some point, maybe even without the once per round restriction. But at this point, I'd probably take the 18 point WOTC Shaper over Jakan the majority of the time. 5/10.
darthbinks1
Posted: Thursday, April 3, 2014 6:29:00 PM

TheHutts wrote:

Quote:
34 points, Republic

Special Abilities
Unique
Double Attack (On his turn, this character can make 1 extra attack instead of moving)
Opportunist (+4 Attack and +10 Damage against an enemy who has activated this round)

Force Powers
Force 4
Lightsaber Deflect (Force 1: When hit by a nonmelee attack, this character takes no damage with a save of 11)
Lightsaber Sweep (Force 1, replaces attacks: Can attack each adjacent enemy once)

Commander Effect
At the end of this character's turn, you may activate 1 ally within 6 squares who has not yet activated this round. This does not count towards the number of activations this phase.

The original Ki-Adi-Mundi was from Clone Strike, and like the majority of Clone Strike pieces, had been well and truly outclassed by power creep by the time the first v-set was released. With a damage ceiling of one melee attack at +10, he was hopelessly outdated, despite Anticipation and an interesting CE. This new version feels like a loving remake - they've taken everything from the original Ki-Adi-Mundi, added 20 hit points, 1 defense, and given him double, improved his CE, and given him some more attacking punch with Opportunist and Sweep - a nice package for 34 points.

While he can get overlooked amongst the plethora of choices of mid-range Republic Jedi, he's still a solid piece, and Weeks' Ki-Blast squad enjoyed some popularity in the Destiny of the Force era; the squad ran Ki-Adi-Mundi along with Yobuck, Panaka, Captain Rex, and Ferus Olin. He's a competent attacker with Opportunist and Sweep, and his Anticipation and the option of an extra activation in a phase are both useful tricks for a squad to have up its sleeve. It's interesting to note that his CE combined with Opportunist is a slightly uncomfortable mix, which means that it's often a choice between taking advantage of one or the other of his options; I'm sure the designers built him with this tension purposely. Ki-Adi-Mundi, Jedi Master is a nice remake of a piece that needed it, 8/10.

I like running republic jedi squads and have overlooked him. I will pick him up and add him in...he looks like fun. I like that he has opportunist. I just wish he didn't have a ce so he could benefit from GMYoda's boosts.
TheHutts
Posted: Thursday, April 3, 2014 6:36:51 PM

darthbinks1 wrote:
TheHutts wrote:

I like running republic jedi squads and have overlooked him. I will pick him up and add him in...he looks like fun. I like that he has opportunist. I just wish he didn't have a ce so he could benefit from GMYoda's boosts.

The one I just profiled is from the first V-set, the only WOTC version is very outdated... probably the best substitute is Plo Koon Jedi Master from Masters of the Force (http://www.bloomilk.com/Character/932/plo-koon--jedi-master), another decent Jedi with Opportunist (and a commander effect).
Mando
Posted: Thursday, April 3, 2014 6:57:02 PM

TheHutts wrote:

Quote:
34 points, Republic

Special Abilities
Unique

Force Powers
Force 4

Commander Effect

A often overlooked tactic with thie Ki Adi is that he actually brings in Revan's swap ability to the republic. He can move 12 squares (14 with a FP) use his CE to activate Panaka (thereby activating Panaka's CE) and then swaping in your person of choice with Ki Adi. You can get some really good deep strikes with R2 Astromech droid.
Deathwielded
Posted: Thursday, April 3, 2014 7:07:57 PM

hmmm, good thought
TheHutts
Posted: Friday, April 4, 2014 4:32:04 PM

Mandalorian Crusader, from Vengeance (http://www.bloomilk.com/Character/1157/mandalorian-crusader)

Quote:
7 points, Mandalorian
Defense: 14
Attack: 5

Crack Shot (Whenever this character combines fire against a target within 6 squares, damage from the attack cannot be prevented or redirected)
Splash 10 (If this character's attack hits, all characters adjacent to the target take 10 damage; save 11. If the attack misses, the target and all adjacent characters take 10 damage; save 11.)

For some reason, the Mandalorians suffered from a lack of cheap grunts under WOTC - after the 8 point Taung Warrior, which came out in Masters of the Force and was mostly ignored, their next cheapest piece was 13 points. So this useful little 7 point piece is a great addition to the faction. The Crusader's stats are in line with the average 7 point piece, which means that it's not going to last long, but it brings two very useful Special Abilities - Splash helps it to clear away fodder walls (especially as it can access twin easily in the Mandos), and Crack Shot helps Mandos to put dents in big tank pieces. It's a really helpful, well thought out piece, that's going to be considered for most Mando squads. 10/10.
TheHutts
Posted: Saturday, April 5, 2014 8:04:07 AM

Bodyguard Droid, from Revenge of the Sith

Quote:
Separatist, 20 points
Defense: 18
Attack: 8

Droid (Immune to critical hits; not subject to commander effects)
Bodyguard (If an adjacent ally would take damage from an attack, this character can take the damage instead)
Lightsaber Resistance (+2 Defense when attacked by an adjacent enemy with a Force rating)

The Bodyguard Droid is the best Separatist droid I've covered so far. While that isn't saying much, it has adequate stats and hit points for its cost, especially considering it came out in Revenge of the Sith. It's also subject to all the Droid boosts, and bodyguard is a very strong special ability.

If the Bodyguard Droid could shoot, it would be a really strong piece. Since it's a melee piece, even in a Separatist droid squad which is loading up droids with masses of Special Abilities and Commander Effects, I think I'd still opt to run a couple of Human Bodyguards instead for almost the same cost, who can at least combine fire or shoot fodder while he's bodyguarding.

By the same token, Ferus Olin is a melee bodyguard who I consider a great piece, but he works because he's got access to Republic and Rebel movement breakers, so he can bodyguard a bunch of damage then get flung into the front lines to unleash a big Dark Temptation - the Bodyguard Droid doesn't have access to the same movement, so it struggles to serve the dual roles of bodyguard and attacker. Since it's the only droid available to a Separatist squad with bodyguard, the Bodyguard Droid does have a niche, but a non-melee bodyguard is going to prove more useful in most games. 4/10.
TheHutts
Posted: Saturday, April 5, 2014 8:17:50 PM

Ugnaught Tech, from Force Unleashed

Quote:
Fringe, 7 points
Defense: 12
Attack: 0

Industrial Repair 10 (Replaces attacks: touch; remove 10 damage from 1 character with Mounted Weapon)
Repair 10 (Replaces attacks: touch; remove 10 damage from 1 Droid character)

The Ugnaught Tech is another piece that Wizards obseleted themselves - if you're running a droid squad and want a repairer, you're going to use Gha Nachkt everytime, since he's got 30 hit points, and is almost always going to end up cheaper with his rapport for droids. In this case, perhaps replacing him was justified, as 7 points seems too much to pay for Repair 10, a weak ability; even though it is useful in Lancer/Sidious squads for repairing the damage on a pawned Lancer. But the Ugnaught Tech isn't ever going to be worthwhile with a cost of 7 points; the Ugnaught Demolitionist has the exact same stats and a much more useful ability (Satchel Charge) for 3 points. 2/10.
Echo24
Posted: Sunday, April 6, 2014 9:08:25 AM

Ha, yesterday Weeks was helping me move and he found a Ugnaught Tech card that was under the couch. He said "Hey, you wanna keep this guy, he has repair 10!" I just rolled my eyes at him and the card got thrown in the trash.

2/10 for sure. There is the POSSIBLE situation where you really want Repair 10 but wouldn't benefit enough from Rapport that Gha would cost more, and you also don't care about the stats. You might also want not Repair 10 and Industrial Repair 10 on a piece for some reason. This situation is incredibly rare, but just barely keeps him from being 100% useless.
TheHutts
Posted: Sunday, April 6, 2014 12:56:55 PM

Yeah, Repair 10 is just too weak for 7 points, but as the cheapest piece with Repair 10 he does have a slight niche, so 2/10 seems justifiable. But really he could be 3 or 4 points and be fine (or maybe Repair 20 at 7 or 8 points).

Here's a summary of all the ratings from the first week, broken down into WOTC and v-set, using the "Spinal Tap" scale:

Average rating for WOTC pieces: 4.1 (standard deviation 3.3)
Average rating for V-set pieces: 7.3 (standard deviation 2.7)

It's only a relatively small amount of data so far, but the graph is what you'd expect - the v-set pieces tend to be more highly rated overall, which makes sense, as they tend to not have as much filler as the WOTC sets, nor have they been burned off by powercreep like a lot of early WOTC pieces. At the same time, the one power piece we've covered so far is from WOTC (General Whorm Loathsom), and it's easily stronger than any of the v-set pieces we've seen so far; twin to all followers for 20 points is obviously ridiculous.
TheHutts
Posted: Sunday, April 6, 2014 1:18:51 PM

Wicket, from Alliance and Empire (http://www.bloomilk.com/Images/Characters/AE57Wicket.jpg)

Quote:
8 points, Fringe
Hit Points: 20
Defense: 16
Attack: 6

Unique
Ewok
Stealth (If this character has cover, he does not count as the nearest enemy for an attacker farther than 6 squares when choosing targets)
Swarm +1 (+1 Attack against a target for each allied Ewok adjacent to that target)
Traps (Enemy characters within 6 squares get -4 Defense)

Wicket is a really well thought out piece - he's flavourful, as stealth and traps are great special abilities for him - and he's perfectly costed for 8 points. There aren't too many cases where you'd mainline him into a squad, but he's a great choice as a reinforcement, when you need help hitting high defense pieces. With a surprisingly high attack of +6, he's also a strong shooter for 8 points, especially because he can often take advantage of his own traps. Since he's relatively fragile, he's not always a great choice - there are times when the R4 Astromech Droid with Targeting is a better choice for lowering defenses. But if you're playing a mostly melee squad, or have an activation advantage, he can be very effective. Great piece - he fits the flavour of the character perfectly, and still has plenty of chances to see table time. 10/10