Sith Alchemist, from Vengeance

Quote:
18 points, Sith
Hit Points: 50
Defense: 18
Attack: 6
Damage: 20

Special Abilities
Melee Attack (Can attack only adjacent enemies)
Poison +10 (+10 Damage to living enemy; save 11)
Synergy +2 (A character whose name contains Sith Mutant gets +2 Attack and +2 Defense while within 6 squares of this character)

Force Powers
Force 1
Force Renewal 1 (This character gets 1 Force point each time he activates)
Sith Alchemy 1 (Force 1, replaces attacks: Target living Medium or Small enemy with 10 Hit Points or less remaining within 6 squares is defeated. You can immediately add a character named Massassi Sith Mutant to your squad. The new character sets up in a square that enemy formerly occupied.)
Sith Weapon (Force 1, replaces turn: Adjacent allies with Melee Attack and without a lightsaber get +10 Damage until the end of the skirmish)

The Sith Alchemist is an interesting piece with two main calling cards:
- he brings the barely used Massassi Sith Mutant back into play, with Sith Alchemy 1 allowing him to change an enemy piece into a Sith Mutant, as well as a synergy bonus boosting mutants.
- he hands a +10 damage bonus to allies with melee attack and without a lightsaber - some good potential recipients include Jarael, Wookie Thugs, Naga Sadow, Rakghouls, Khem Val, and Sith Mutants.
Because you're paying for both of his abilities, he can be hard to fit into a squad - to get the full benefit of his 18 points, you probably need to load up a piece or two with Sith Weapon at the start of the skirmish, then also turn an enemy piece into a Sith Mutant. I think Celeste Morne is easily a more efficient piece if you want to abuse Sith Alchemy, since she's a solid beatstick and the Rakghouls that she creates can create more Rakghouls in turn, making a swarm of Rakghouls a possibility. But the Sith Alchemist still does open up some potential new combos for the Sith, albeit below Tier 1, and brings a mostly forgotten WOTC piece back into contention. 7/10
TheHutts
Posted: Tuesday, April 8, 2014 8:09:55 PM
Groups: Member

TIE Crawler, from The Force Unleashed

Quote:
42 points, Imperial
Hit Points: 80
Defense: 16
Attack: 10

Special Abilities
Damage Reduction 10 (Whenever this character takes damage, reduce the damage dealt by 10. Attacks with lightsabers ignore this special ability.)
Mounted Weapon (Only allies with Mounted Weapon or adjacent allies with Gunner can combine fire with this character)
Penetration 10 (Enemies' Damage Reduction is reduced by 10 against this character's attacks)
Rigid (Can't squeeze)
Twin Attack (Whenever this character attacks, it makes 1 extra attack against the same target)

In this game, a huge base is a huge limitation. The TIE Crawler doesn't have anything to compensate for its hugeness; on a medium base its stats and abilities would be mediocre for a 42 point piece, on a huge they're intolerable. Despite a cool looking sculpt, I can't think of a single good reason to use this piece. 1/10
TimmerB123
Posted: Tuesday, April 8, 2014 11:53:17 PM

Sculpt is horrible too! Ever try to maneuver one on a map? It hangs out several squares in multiple directions over its base. So annoying

Stupid idea in universe too. A bad author made up a tie fighter into a tank.

We called it the abomination of minis back in the day, and threw them in the trash when we got extras.

Needs a zero. Might be the worst mini ever
Darth_Jim
Posted: Wednesday, April 9, 2014 2:37:55 AM

Don't mince words, Tim...tell us how you really feel.

Seriously, I totally agree...worst mini ever. I used to feel the box to avoid getting one. Still, I ended up with 2. I traded one away...can't remember to who and for what, all I remember is that I felt like I was fleecing them.
juice man
Posted: Wednesday, April 9, 2014 3:46:27 AM

TimmerB123 wrote:
Stupid idea in universe too. A bad author made up a tie fighter into a tank.
Yes! What happened to flight for all Imperial units? No money? No labor? C'mon we're the evil guys.
adamb0nd
Posted: Wednesday, April 9, 2014 6:10:25 AM
Groups: Member , Moderator

I have never actually seen the Tie Crawler piece in person (Lucky, i guess...). From the pictures, it always looks like you could snap some legos to the bar that branches off of the back of the cock pit.

Kinda funny... while reading this, I was reminded of an old "Name that Mini" thread, where we used limericks to describe the pieces people were guessing. I wrote the following... wonder what piece it could be...

An imperial most do despise,
For crap stats, but mostly my size...
but just break me a bit
and i'll perfectly fit
on the map next to foes and allies.
General_Grievous
Posted: Wednesday, April 9, 2014 7:37:33 AM

This poor guy needs a remake. I love huges but this one is sorely outdated, bad stats, and only good and catching blaster bolts.
TimmerB123
Posted: Wednesday, April 9, 2014 8:15:15 AM

General_Grievous wrote:
This poor guy needs a remake. I love huges but this one is sorely outdated, bad stats, and only good and catching blaster bolts.

Forget the remake. The abomination won't be placed on a minis map ever again!
juice man
Posted: Wednesday, April 9, 2014 8:29:40 AM

Flavor text:
"A TIE fighter cockpit suspended between two massive tank treads, the "century tank" is an inexpensive and compact assault vehicle."

All it needs to make it worth 42 pts. is......Evade!Flapper
jak
Posted: Wednesday, April 9, 2014 8:48:30 AM

I've only seen this piece played once.
it got crushed by an AT-AT, because of a rules misinterpretation.

biggest waste of plastic EVER
TheHutts
Posted: Wednesday, April 9, 2014 12:34:08 PM

Zam Wesell, from Clone Strike (http://www.bloomilk.com/Character/120/zam-wesell)

Quote:
Fringe, 45 points
Hit Points: 90
Defense: 19
Attack: 12

Special Abilities
Unique
Bounty Hunter +4 (+4 Attack against Unique enemies)
Kouhun Infestation (Replaces turn: 60 damage to 1 living enemy within 12 squares regardless of line of sight; save 11)
Loner (+4 Attack if no allies are within 6 squares)
Stealth (If this character has cover, she does not count as the nearest enemy for an attacker farther than 6 squares when choosing targets)

I have no idea how much play Zam got in the Clone Strike era - with only a single attack, other shooters like Rebel Storm Boba had higher damage output, and Aurra Sing with Jedi Hunter and Accurate Shot seems to have been the most illustrious Fringe Bounty Hunter of the day. But Aurra did have some things going for her - Stealth made her harder to pin down, and Kouhun Infestation is potentially nasty ability, although not necessarily reliable against anyone with force points for a reroll. So she was maybe second tier even then, and she's been well and truly outdated, even before she was remade for the v-sets - Cad Bane, as a Bounty Hunter with Stealth in a similar price range has much more damage output, while the ASN Assassin Droids at 27 points are a cheaper source of Kouhun Infestation. This version of Zam at least has some flavour, but there's no reason to play her anymore - play the excellent v-set version instead. 2/10.
jak
Posted: Wednesday, April 9, 2014 2:10:59 PM

The only reason to play her back then, was for KI.
Then the ASN droid out, and dis beetch got kicked to the curb!LOL
TheHutts
Posted: Wednesday, April 9, 2014 2:21:37 PM

jak wrote:
The only reason to play her back then, was for KI.
Then the ASN droid out, and dis beetch got kicked to the curb!LOL

Yeah, she probably deserves a 1 for playability, but at least she's interesting.
TheHutts
Posted: Wednesday, April 9, 2014 2:53:27 PM

Luke Skywalker, Rebel Commando from Imperial Entanglements (http://www.bloomilk.com/Character/716/luke-skywalker--rebel-commando)

Quote:
27 points, Rebel
Hit Points: 70
Attack: 8

Special Abilities
Unique
Double Attack (On his turn, this character can make 1 extra attack instead of moving)
Cunning Attack (+4 Attack and +10 Damage against an enemy who has not activated this round)
Djem So Style (Whenever this character is hit by a melee attack, make a save of 11. On a success, this character can make an immediate attack against that attacker.)
Greater Mobile Attack (Can move both before and after attacking. This character can make extra attacks even if he moves this turn, but he must make them all before resuming movement.)
Stealth (If this character has cover, he does not count as the nearest enemy for an attacker farther than 6 squares when choosing targets)

Force Powers
Force 4
Lightsaber Deflect (Force 1: When hit by a nonmelee attack, this character takes no damage with a save of 11)
Levitation 1 (Force 1, replaces attacks: Move 1 Small or Medium ally within 6 squares to any unoccupied square within 6 squares. This move does not provoke attacks of opportunity.)

Efficient movement breakers are among the elite pieces in the game, and Luke Rebel Commando is certainly one of them. Although he has a bunch of useful abilities - his Djem So is helpful against enemy Lancers, and his synergy with General Crix Madine makes him a competent second or third attacker - the main reason to play him is his ability to Levitate allies. He was a key part of the winning GenCon Championship teams in 2009 and 2010, setting up Rebel shooters (often Han Solo Smuggler or Elite Rebel Commandos) for their Leia cannon attacks.

Luke Rebel Commando is so good that he keeps a lot of other good Lukes (Hero of Endor, Hoth Pilot Unleashed, Snowspeeder, Landspeeder) from seeing as much play as they deserve. He's slightly limited, with only 70 hit points and no force renewal, but he's still stacked for 27 points. I really like this piece, as it's a great representation of Luke on Endor; whether the already dominant Rebels needed another power piece at the time he was released is entirely another matter. 11/10
darthbinks1
Posted: Wednesday, April 9, 2014 3:03:54 PM

He's great. There are a few other Luke's I might run from time to time (LSCOTF is a beast and LS hero of Yavin is a lot of fun even if he can die easily), but really my top 2 are Hoth Luke for his force push 40 and Luke Rebel Commando. I can't decide who I like more.
General_Grievous
Posted: Wednesday, April 9, 2014 3:32:50 PM

Pretty tough Luke and even better with Crix and new versatility Luke. Though I still like unleashed for his epic push 40 more
TheHutts
Posted: Wednesday, April 9, 2014 11:43:45 PM

Jedi Shadow, from Vengeance

Quote:
23 points, Old Republic
Attack: 10

Special Abilities
Covenant
Double Attack (On his turn, this character can make 1 extra attack instead of moving)
Stealth (If this character has cover, he does not count as the nearest enemy for an attacker farther than 6 squares when choosing targets)

Force Powers
Force 3
Door Shatter 1 (Force 1, replaces attacks: range 6; Designate 1 door as open; it remains open for the rest of the skirmish and cannot be closed)
Lightsaber Flurry (Force 1, replaces attacks: Make 4 attacks at -10 Damage)

A solid low cost Jedi for the Old Republic, the Jedi Shadow isn't the best in its price range for the Old Republic, since the 27 point Jedi Battlemaster from Jedi Academy is the gold standard for non-unique Jedi anywhere in the game, but it's still a really good piece. Since the Shadow is part of the Covenant subfaction, it's subject to all the Covenant bonuses, and as a 70 hit point piece with door control, it makes it difficult for your opponent to pull a lockout win against you. Lightsaber Flurry was a new Force Power in the Vengeance set, and it feels like a middle ground between Lightsaber Assault and Lightsaber Sweep, where you can focus all your attacks on one enemy, or spread them out; since you're almost always going to be getting a +10 damage bonus in an optimised Old Republic squad with Bastila JM, the Shadow's attacks flurry attacks are going to be at 20 damage. The +10 attack's only going to get you so far though, and if you're building a squad around these guys, it probably needs boosting through CEs or through Targeting/Traps. But the Shadow is still a solid option for lots of Old Republic builds. 8/10.
TimmerB123
Posted: Thursday, April 10, 2014 8:23:10 AM

TheHutts wrote:
Luke Skywalker, Rebel Commando from Imperial Entanglements (http://www.bloomilk.com/Character/716/luke-skywalker--rebel-commando)

Quote:
27 points, Rebel
Attack: 8

Special Abilities
Unique
Cunning Attack (+4 Attack and +10 Damage against an enemy who has not activated this round)
Djem So Style (Whenever this character is hit by a melee attack, make a save of 11. On a success, this character can make an immediate attack against that attacker.)
Greater Mobile Attack (Can move both before and after attacking. This character can make extra attacks even if he moves this turn, but he must make them all before resuming movement.)

Force Powers
Force 4
Lightsaber Deflect (Force 1: When hit by a nonmelee attack, this character takes no damage with a save of 11)
Levitation 1 (Force 1, replaces attacks: Move 1 Small or Medium ally within 6 squares to any unoccupied square within 6 squares. This move does not provoke attacks of opportunity.)

Efficient movement breakers are among the elite pieces in the game, and Luke Rebel Commando is certainly one of them. Although he has a bunch of useful abilities - his Djem So is helpful against enemy Lancers, and his synergy with General Crix Madine makes him a competent second or third attacker - the main reason to play him is his ability to Levitate allies. He was a key part of the winning GenCon Championship teams in 2009 and 2010, setting up Rebel shooters (often Han Solo Smuggler or Elite Rebel Commandos) for their Leia cannon attacks.

Luke Rebel Commando is so good that he keeps a lot of other good Lukes (Hero of Endor, Hoth Pilot Unleashed, Snowspeeder, Landspeeder) from seeing as much play as they deserve. He's slightly limited, with only 70 hit points and no force renewal, but he's still stacked for 27 points. I really like this piece, as it's a great representation of Luke on Endor; whether the already dominant Rebels needed another power piece at the time he was released is entirely another matter. 11/10

He is, without a doubt, hands down, the best Rebel Luke in the game. A key part of multiple GenCon Champion squads, Levitation changed the face of our game once Fingersandteeth showed the world it's stregnth in 2009. Ganner then solidified NR as a top faction due to the addition of levitate there.

I agree with The Hutts wholeheartedly: It's all about the movement breaker. Cannot be disrupted or blocked off by characters, and the "range 6" of the ability belies the actual range that you can move an ally (double that). In addition to being able to extend range to an impressive distance for attacks, you can also use it like a pseudo greater mobile with double the movement, by moving 6 to attack, then levitating back to safety (or vice versa).

All other additions to this piece are icing on the cake. Make no doubt - Levitation is what sets this piece apart.

As a side note - My mind was recently absolutely blown when I read this post:

Quote:
Now that we have a playable Rebel Luke (HoE)

I'll leave it anonymous as not to embarrass, but this is a VERY smart player, who I respect very much. This might be the most ludicrous statement I've ever seen him make (and it was very recent).

We have a Luke who has won multiple GenCon champs, at multiple point levels, and Luke HoE is the first playable Luke??? Confused Whaaaaa? And it's not like Luke Rebel Hero is outdated and no longer good. One squad alone was the only thing standing between Luke Rebel Hero and yet ANOTHER championship finals match at the most recent GenCon.

Before Luke Rebel Hero (and even a little during) Luke's Snowspeeder was dominant. Multiple Regional titles and GenCon top 8's in addition to a GenCon Championship are under it's belt. Luke Rebel Hero however, was responsible for dethroning Luke's Snowspeeder.

Luke Hoth Pilot enjoyed his time in the sun as well, being part of the first ever multiple regional winning players' squad both times in the inaugural year of our Regional Championships.

Before all that there was success with Luke's Landspeeder (The first truly good Luke), and even to this day in the right squad can be quite threatening. (GenCon 2nd place in 2007)

This is of course not even counting Luke Galactic Hero in the NR (Regional Champ and 2 time top 8 GenCon squad in it's first year out the door), as the comment was geared toward rebels.

And of course, the newest - Luke and Leia on Speeder, bound to make a splash, already placing at a regional (and actually beating the eventual winning squad in Swiss), has already shown more promise than Luke HoE.

The only reason I can think of to try and run Luke HoE is to give Luke Rebel Hero Twin, but that probably costs too much to make it worth the effort.

Movement breakers are too important in our game. Forgoing the best one the rebels have to offer for a beatstick will by far lose you more games than you will win for the swap. K-3PO is overcosted and too clunky to use without booming voice, not to mention he does virtually nothing else. The only other way to go with a Luke in the rebels is pure speed, and Luke's three speeders (bike, land and snow) deliver that. Luke HoE hasn't had time to do much, but then again nobody is attempting.

Luke Rebel Hero. THE rebel Luke.
countrydude82487
Posted: Thursday, April 10, 2014 10:04:56 AM

Actually i think Luke, HOE makes this Luke More powerful. Giving Him twin attack can be huge.
Deathwielded
Posted: Thursday, April 10, 2014 10:10:26 AM

I agree Luke RC is super hard to beat when it comes to squad building.
I also agree about Luke and Leia on Speeder, pretty potent.
I like Luke, HoE and I think he has potential, but without a good movement breaker he will suffer from being a second best pick. Twin might be nice on Luke RC, but I would rely/plan on that. It's not worth it