RegisterDonateLogin

So artistically done.

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Members

Daala (et al) errata - the final word Options
swinefeld
Posted: Wednesday, September 10, 2014 6:45:13 PM
Groups: Member , Moderator

Aside from the discussion in the SHNN thread from the show last week, there hasn't really been an official announcement here about the final decisions regarding errata to Admiral Daala and related characters. So here it is:

Zygerrian Slaver

- loses Slave Driver (errata from earlier this year)

Admiral Daala

- loses Rapport and her CE instead grants regular Charging Fire (errata from earlier this year)

- loses Imperial Reserves 20

Snowtrooper Officer

- Rapport for Snowtroopers changed from 2 to 1

*The V-Set team is currently looking at options to reprint the cards so players can obtain up-to-date cards to use.

side note:
The squad builder will be updated to reflect the change to the Snowtrooper Officer's Rapport when the V-set 8 stuff is finally fixed. My apologies for the delay with all that stuff. Long story short - I've been a bit overextended, to put it mildly. Thanks for your patience.

Please feel free to discuss the changes here. Smile
Mando
Posted: Thursday, September 11, 2014 6:12:04 AM
Groups: Member

Good changes. I think the designers did a good job of gathering community input & results from gencon and other tournaments, in order to make a good descision that will restore a lot of balance to the competitive game. Hopefully the snow troopers aren't such a huge issue in the future. I'm perfectly fine with the Scout trooper squad that we saw in gencon cause at least you get more points for killing them than you would a snowtrooper and there were only 5 (i think) in that squad, so that is manageable for more top tier squads to deal with. Having 12-15 snow troopers running around shooting at obscene attack and pumping out 40 dmg wasn't good for the game.
thereisnotry
Posted: Thursday, September 11, 2014 7:47:35 AM

Yeah, I thought that the Scout Trooper build was ingenious and inventive. It wasn't overpowered at all, but it was definitely Tier 1. Snowtroopers, on the other hand, were just disgusting.
Deaths_Baine
Posted: Thursday, September 11, 2014 7:56:36 AM

so this won't affect the scouts or the raxus prime squads at all right?
FlyingArrow
Posted: Thursday, September 11, 2014 7:58:58 AM

Only the loss of Reserves.
Deaths_Baine
Posted: Thursday, September 11, 2014 8:02:24 AM

interesting, wasn't it the raxus squad that was winning a lot in New Zealand? I cant find the thread they had up about it all.
FlyingArrow
Posted: Thursday, September 11, 2014 8:08:31 AM

Yes. Dr Daman's Raxus squad is the one that won a lot in New Zealand.
Deaths_Baine
Posted: Thursday, September 11, 2014 8:18:35 AM

well, that's even more interesting. So the one squad they decided to change was the one that did the least? If the scout trooper squad came in 2nd and the raxus troopers were the ones winning in new Zealand I find it interesting that its the snowtroopers that were the only ones really affected. maybe the others take more skill to run and people are fine with that. I just hope that since people can't run the snow trooper version, they don't just run the raxus or scout trooper version and they become the problem since those version were left intact.
FlyingArrow
Posted: Thursday, September 11, 2014 8:36:59 AM

I took 5th with Snowtroopers at GenCon and I've been the most vocal Snowtrooper player.

At the tournament level, I don't think Snowtroopers are as good as Raxus/Elites. Although I don't think it's really the Raxus/Elites that give them their power - it's the Repulsor Sled. The Repulsor can piggyback off all the Raxus/Elite boosts but it doesn't mesh so well in a Snowtrooper squad. You can't fit the Snowtrooper commanders, the troops, a Repulsor plus the commanders you need to boost the Repulsor. The Repulsor gives you a really strong deep strike option that you don't get with Snowtroopers.

But... the Snowtroopers can pack a lot more firepower, and that makes them unbalancing for certain squad types (which tend to be some of the most popular types). If you go with a bigger swarm/more firepower, though, you're also more susceptible to Yobuck/Lancer/other scissors squads. At GenCon, I went with a few more troops that have 30-50hp in order to have at least a chance (small one) against Yobuck. Never faced him, though.

I don't know if I'll play Daala at a tournament again, but if I did there's a good chance I'd switch to a Repulsor squad even without the change to Snowtrooper Rapport.
Mando
Posted: Thursday, September 11, 2014 8:39:06 AM

Deaths_Baine wrote:
well, that's even more interesting. So the one squad they decided to change was the one that did the least? If the scout trooper squad came in 2nd and the raxus troopers were the ones winning in new Zealand I find it interesting that its the snowtroopers that were the only ones really affected. maybe the others take more skill to run and people are fine with that. I just hope that since people can't run the snow trooper version, they don't just run the raxus or scout trooper version and they become the problem since those version were left intact.

Not sure why you think the scout trooper squad is a problem....its very beatable, but is a good squad also. Tier 1 for sure just like thereisnotry said. Raxus prime troopers only have 10hp, so Momaw Nadon can take them out easily, whereas the snow troopers had 20hp and wouldn't die to Momaw Nadon unless he's in a Republic Tarpals squad. Most top tier squads have Lobot, so they can bring in a natural counter to Raxus troopers. Not so with Snow troopers, so the snow trooper builds were the bigger issue. Raxus squads are still good, but they take skill to use, and don't put out as much firepower.
Deaths_Baine
Posted: Thursday, September 11, 2014 9:20:10 AM

i agree that both the scouts and raxus take more skill to use, i just find it interesting that the only squad effected was the one that has done the worst. I agree that snowtroopers may be the biggest problem for rock squads and maybe thats why only they were addressed. I just think that more should have been done to daala, and based on the poll numbers more people wanted more done to her. In my opinion Daala squads are still the go to imperial squads, and that is sad to me. in a faction with vader/palpatine it is some worthless, crappy commander that rules supreme. but maybe she was the "flavor of the month" and no one will use her anymore in favor of new toys from set 8..... i'm looking at you neocrusaders Drool
AndyHatton
Posted: Thursday, September 11, 2014 9:28:01 AM

Didn't Raxus win in NZ when the Zygerian was still unerattaed?
FlyingArrow
Posted: Thursday, September 11, 2014 9:29:57 AM

AndyHatton wrote:
Didn't Raxus win in NZ when the Zygerian was still unerattaed?

No. And yes. It continued to win after the errata.
Mando
Posted: Thursday, September 11, 2014 10:22:46 AM

Deaths_Baine wrote:
i agree that both the scouts and raxus take more skill to use, i just find it interesting that the only squad effected was the one that has done the worst. I agree that snowtroopers may be the biggest problem for rock squads and maybe thats why only they were addressed. I just think that more should have been done to daala, and based on the poll numbers more people wanted more done to her. In my opinion Daala squads are still the go to imperial squads, and that is sad to me. in a faction with vader/palpatine it is some worthless, crappy commander that rules supreme. but maybe she was the "flavor of the month" and no one will use her anymore in favor of new toys from set 8..... i'm looking at you neocrusaders Drool

Daala is by far not the "go to" Imperial squad. Thrawn squads have long held that title. Daala finally gave the imperials a different option than having Thrawn in every single competitive squad, so of course she is powerful, but no matter how much people complain about her, she is good for the faction and i think the errata changes are good. If you were to errata her even more, i think she'd be thrown in the bin and replaced with Thrawn again. Some people thought the designers didn't even care about what the community thought and even attacked some of the designers in forum posts. I think the fact that we have had Daala errata'd even more is proof the designers do listen to community input and have the best interests of the game in mind.
FlyingArrow
Posted: Thursday, September 11, 2014 11:10:44 AM

For what it's worth, in competitive play this year here are the Snowtrooper results:

Michigan Regional: Lou, 4-1 overall (loss to TimmerB's Luke+LeiaSpeeder)
LowerHuttaCon: Ian, 1-2 overall (loss to Darth O's Valenthyne/Hoth and to Kez's Angry Luke)
PA Regional: FlyingArrow, 4-0
Canada: One snowtrooper squad, 1-1 (loss to -unknown-)
IL Regional: DarkDracul, 1-3 (loss to urbanjedi Vong Blastbuggers, atmsalad's Furious Mando Mercs, TimmerB's Klat swarm)
NZ Champs: TheHutts, 5-1 (loss to DrDaman's Daala Raxus)

GenCon:
FlyingArrow, 4-2 (loss to Weeks' Cloaked Mandos, countrydude's CadBH, DurgeSpeeder)
gholli69, 2-3 (loss to atmsalad's Daala Elite Scouts, a Gloom Walker squad, TimmerB's Luke+LeiaSpeeder)

Edit: Adding NZ Vassal Tournament:
thereisnotry, 1-0
(Players could change squads each round in this tournament, and we don't have results for all matches so there may be other Snowtrooper games from that tournament.)

Total: 23-13 (3 losses to Strafing squads, 6 losses to swarm-ish squads, 3 losses to rock-ish squads, 1 unknown)

I wouldn't say it takes no skill to play Snowtroopers. They lost more than one third of the time. That's a good winning percentage, but not high enough that you can just grab it and expect to win.

But it does look like it takes skill to beat her. All of the people listed above who beat her are 'name' players who have at least a GenCon top-8 to their credit, or are known to be good players in NZ. The only exceptions are the Gloom Walker squad at GenCon (not sure who that player was) and the unknown squad from Canada regional.

And based on the results above, it appears that TimmerB needs an errata.

All the being said, I'm fine with the changes. Reserves needed to be dropped. Until GenCon I hardly ever hit it, and when it did hit it was too late to make any difference either way. At GenCon, I hit it against Weeks (and still lost). And hit it (just once, Jim) against thereisnotry, and there's a good chance that Reserves tipped the game in my favor. Kind of evened out his 5 or 6 SSM saves in a row early in the game Smile . But Reserves is not something that she needs. Dropping the Rapport means 2-4 fewer Snowtroopers or one fewer commander (e.g. SOS or GARY), which may be all the difference in enough matches.

With the changes, I definitely would have lost to thereisnotry at GenCon. Almost certainly would have lost to countrydude in both of our games. We split our two games - both were extremely close. If I had to drop 15 points worth of firepower I think I would've lost both. (Although the 2nd game wouldn't have even happened because I wouldn't have made the top 8 for the rematch.) That would have made me 2-3 at GenCon assuming my match-ups didn't change.
Deaths_Baine
Posted: Thursday, September 11, 2014 11:30:09 AM

Mando wrote:
Deaths_Baine wrote:

Daala is by far not the "go to" Imperial squad. Thrawn squads have long held that title. Daala finally gave the imperials a different option than having Thrawn in every single competitive squad, so of course she is powerful, but no matter how much people complain about her, she is good for the faction and i think the errata changes are good. If you were to errata her even more, i think she'd be thrown in the bin and replaced with Thrawn again. Some people thought the designers didn't even care about what the community thought and even attacked some of the designers in forum posts. I think the fact that we have had Daala errata'd even more is proof the designers do listen to community input and have the best interests of the game in mind.

how many non-daala imerpial squads did you see last year?
Deaths_Baine
Posted: Thursday, September 11, 2014 11:53:11 AM

I do know that the poll showed that only 7 of the people that voted wanted reserves dropped, 11 wanted to leave her alone, 12 wanted to ban her and 11 wanted her changed more. so more people were looking for bigger changes then were looking for reserves/leave her alone, and the greatest number of people wanted her banned. (I did not vote for ban her myself.) Don't get me wrong I am glad with any changes to her whatsoever though, just voicing my opinion that she needed more done to her. specifically I liked Tim's idea of charging-10.
leshippy
Posted: Thursday, September 11, 2014 12:09:41 PM

Deaths_Baine wrote:
I do know that the poll showed that only 7 of the people that voted wanted reserves dropped, 11 wanted to leave her alone, 12 wanted to ban her and 11 wanted her changed more. so more people were looking for bigger changes then were looking for reserves/leave her alone, and the greatest number of people wanted her banned. (I did not vote for ban her myself.) Don't get me wrong I am glad with any changes to her whatsoever though, just voicing my opinion that she needed more done to her. specifically I liked Tim's idea of charging-10.

Jason you owe me $20. Please fold it correctly.
Mando
Posted: Thursday, September 11, 2014 12:13:08 PM

Deaths_Baine wrote:
Mando wrote:
Deaths_Baine wrote:

how many non-daala imerpial squads did you see last year?

Daala was popular cause she is new, it doesn't mean she is better than Thrawn squads. An imperial Black and Blue squad is still good today even tho it doesn't need any V-set pieces. People were playing Daala a lot to make a point, IMO, and we have gotten some changes made to her. I think its very premature to say she needs even more changes when you haven't even seen how effective the new updated errata is. Flyingarrow said that the changes to his Snowtrooper build would have cost him a game in Gencon vs Tint had this errata been in effect.
Deaths_Baine
Posted: Thursday, September 11, 2014 1:02:04 PM

leshippy wrote:
Deaths_Baine wrote:

Jason you owe me $20. Please fold it correctly.

hey just voicing my opinion. like i said i am happy with any changes, just wish there were more made.