RegisterDonateLogin

Is not something you could learn to make from a Jedi.

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Members

Kyle Kataarn is up! Options
Eroschilles
Posted: Monday, June 15, 2009 7:43:32 AM
Groups: Member , Moderator

I'm not sure that would give allies lightsabers. That would bring into question if they have the lightsaber special ability and if shooters with base 10 damage do +10 damage against adjacent enemies.

It's an awesome CE tho. Makes Mara Jade harder to kill for sure. Definitely helps GMLS live longer. I think its silly that all the NR pieces in this set have renewal considering GMlukes CE.
imyurhukaberry
Posted: Monday, June 15, 2009 7:48:43 AM

*Edit: the below text is not true. The FAQ is incorrect regarding the "lightsaber (characters with)" section.

Having the Lightsaber SA versus having a "lightsaber" is two different things. (check the FAQ under SAs, both are listed right next to each other) Where it matters is Damage Resistance, Dark Armor, etc.
lukey84
Posted: Monday, June 15, 2009 8:10:54 AM
Groups: Member

i like him. hes very melee centric but still.
Eroschilles
Posted: Monday, June 15, 2009 8:15:53 AM

I just can't think of any character with a lightsaber that only does 10 damage without the lightsaber SA. It seems to have been the precedent that lightsabers do at least 20 damage.

imyurhukaberry
Posted: Monday, June 15, 2009 8:18:56 AM

I see your point, but having a lightsaber does not grant the Lightsaber SA. There is a difference. BlooMilk

That would make things quite interesting if it changed the base stat to 20 damage. Alas, it does not.
Eroschilles
Posted: Monday, June 15, 2009 8:21:36 AM

"A charcter also counts as having a lightsaber if it has the Lightsaber special ability or a Force power whose name contains the word 'Lightsaber'". So since they gain a SA with lightsaber in the title they do not gain "with lightsabers" effects. Damage reduction is unaffected by this CE.
imyurhukaberry
Posted: Monday, June 15, 2009 8:27:37 AM

*Edit: the below text is not true. The FAQ is incorrect regarding the "lightsaber (characters with)" section.

per the currently posted FAQ: (under Special Abilities)

Q: It looks like the Dark Side Enforce has a lightsaber hilt on her belt. Does she count as a character with a lightsaber?

A: No. To qualify as a lightsaber while inspecting a miniature, it must contain the colored lightsaber blade. If that isn't visible on the miniature, you must check the stat card for any Force power or Special Ability containing the word "Lightsaber".
(emphasis mine)

NOTE: the underlined part is not correct.
Eroschilles
Posted: Monday, June 15, 2009 8:38:30 AM

It says something different in the glossary definition. In a situation where the faq and glossary contradict each other, which takes precedence?
Tirade
Posted: Monday, June 15, 2009 8:46:35 AM

Eroschilles wrote:
It says something different in the glossary definition. In a situation where the faq and glossary contradict each other, which takes precedence?

There is no contradiction. The Glossary touches on the Lightsaber Ability, not characters with Lightsabers. Think of a piece like Kreia. She doesn't have any ability that contains Lightsaber, yet she counts as a character with a Lightsaber. Thus she can trump Damage Reduction and Dark Armor. However, she is also susceptible to Cortosis Gauntlets.
joelker41
Posted: Monday, June 15, 2009 8:52:34 AM

Tirade wrote:
Eroschilles wrote:

There is no contradiction. The Glossary touches on the Lightsaber Ability, not characters with Lightsabers. Think of a piece like Kreia. She doesn't have any ability that contains Lightsaber, yet she counts as a character with a Lightsaber. Thus she can trump Damage Reduction and Dark Armor. However, she is also susceptible to Cortosis Gauntlets.

Read his post again and the post above his.

The question is does the FAQ quote two posts up is that it says SAs with Lightsabers but the glossary says the Lightsaber SA or a Force Power with Lightsaber.
Tirade
Posted: Monday, June 15, 2009 8:55:12 AM

joelker41 wrote:
Tirade wrote:
Eroschilles wrote:

Read his post again and the post above his.

The question is does the FAQ quote two posts up is that it says SAs with Lightsabers but the glossary says the Lightsaber SA or a Force Power with Lightsaber.

Huh? The Glossary touches on the Lightsaber SA (ie - Mara Jedi, Universe Kyle, etc). Again, I don't see a contradiction here. If you have the Lightsaber SA, you count as a character having a Lightsaber. Thus Damage Reduction would be ignored.

If you have LS Duelist, you count as character with a Lightsaber. Again, Damage Reduction would be ignored. I guess I don't see the confusion here. Seems pretty clear to me.

The FAQ pertains to both Force Powers and SAs with Lightsaber. The Glossary only deals with the Lightsaber SA.
Eroschilles
Posted: Monday, June 15, 2009 9:02:53 AM

The glossary has an entry titled "with lightsabers" under the W section from which I qouted.
Tirade
Posted: Monday, June 15, 2009 9:08:26 AM

Eroschilles wrote:
The glossary has an entry titled "with lightsabers" under the W section from which I qouted.

Yes, I see the problem. I personally think the FAQ is more specific. The Glossary seems to only touch on the Lightsaber SA. I'd go with the FAQ here.
saeseetiin
Posted: Monday, June 15, 2009 9:09:31 AM

I like him very nice.
markedman247
Posted: Monday, June 15, 2009 9:12:25 AM

CORRECTION (I retract my previous statement):

This is from the FAQ:
"(If a physical lightsaber is not visiable)...you must check the stat card for any Force power or Special Ability containing the word "Lightsaber".

I am fairly certain that it was ruled that "Lightsaber Resistance" didn't count as Lightsaber in terms of DA, but this entry is much more clear.

Eroschilles
Posted: Monday, June 15, 2009 9:15:12 AM

I think I might go for the more restrictive definition as that seems to be the more prudent way for SWminis. Maybe NickName can offer a concise answer to the discrepency.
Tirade
Posted: Monday, June 15, 2009 9:17:45 AM

markedman247 wrote:
with lightsabers: Certain special abilities, such as Damage Reduction, list exceptions
for enemies “with lightsabers.” It’s usually easy to tell whether or not a character has a
lightsaber by checking whether its miniature has a lightsaber in hand, but a few characters
do not have visible lightsabers. A character also counts as having a lightsaber if it has the Lightsaber special ability or a Force power whose name contains the word “Lightsaber.”

I did what I could to highlight the major points.

Notice that the word "THE" is in the description with Lightsaber special ability. "THE" is the qualifier of importance. It doesn't say "A" lightsaber special ability. It says THE lightsaber ability. If it said "... if it has A lightsaber special ability," it would apply to ALL lightsaber named special abilities (Deulist, Lightsaber +10, Lightsaber Resistance).

Sorry for the highlighting but really some people try to find ways to break the game in their favor(*cough* big fish *cough*) instead of reading the context of the sentence.

I finally noticed what Eroschilles was getting at. That said, NickName will have to clarify this. Although you should be able to get an answer from him regarding this dilemma. The situation could come up with RotS Tyranus and CS Grievous.
markedman247
Posted: Monday, June 15, 2009 9:29:30 AM

Originally Posted by FAQ Special Abilites
lightsabers (characters with)

Q: It looks like the Dark Side Enforce has a lightsaber hilt on her belt. Does she count as a character with a lightsaber?

A: No. To qualify as a lightsaber while inspecting a miniature, it must contain the colored lightsaber blade. If that isn't visible on the miniature, you must check the stat card for any Force power or Special Ability containing the word "Lightsaber".

There you have it.

So, run your uggies with Kyle-Trainer against Luke's Snowspeeder. They actually penetrate armor. How's that Dark amor? Well, thanks to Kyle-Trainer, my Ossus Guardian hits a Golan Turret with both twins for full damage.

Am I reading these situations correctly?
Slie
Posted: Monday, June 15, 2009 9:48:16 AM

keep in mind with wedge he can have evade and with MOTF2 thats gonna be hard to shoot. not to mention could still luke ghost him and give him mettle.
Tirade
Posted: Monday, June 15, 2009 9:54:10 AM

Slie wrote:
keep in mind with wedge he can have evade and with MOTF2 thats gonna be hard to shoot. not to mention could still luke ghost him and give him mettle.

No Evade for this Kyle, unfortunately. He is not a follower.