RegisterDonateLogin

Wars not make one great. (But Bloo Milk does.)

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Members

Poll Question : Yes for Should Be Banned.No For Shouldnt Be Banned
Choice Votes Statistics
Yes 29 37.179487 %
No 49 62.820512 %

Easy Poll, GOWK, To Ban, Or Not To Ban? That Is The Question. Options
Capin_ahab
Posted: Monday, June 29, 2009 1:41:30 PM
Groups: Member

sharron wrote:
I think everybody needs to calm down. You all have different points of veiw, good-o. Argueing about who played who? and over vassal? does it really matter? so somebody made a mistake, and thought something differently. Out of everybody who is argueing about anything to do with GOWK, most of you are going too far. I love a little dissagreement about a character, there uses and what not, but this? Name calling? this is insane. agree to dissagree, and move on. People all have different opinions on GOWK, but please, for the consideration of this site, and of the people joined on it, keep your comments respactable, because I for one am sick of thefights people get into about a character. sure, voice you opinions, have a debate about it, but keep it real. just realize everyone has their own understanding of a character, and respect that. there is no need to let it get out of hand.

my rant is done. :) thanks guys.

Thank you for this post, it sums up my feelings about this thread.
This post has been QFT
also Very well put Darth Percocet.
afairy13
Posted: Monday, June 29, 2009 2:11:24 PM

Darth Percocet wrote:
[quote=imyurhukaberry] My opinion: as stated many times, I don't want tournaments to be centered around 1 character. And if the top players in the world...notice that "in the world" part...are arguing that it's TOO EASY to win with a certain character and that it will limit the game and that it isn't good for the game. Well, I for one am going to listen.

Very well put..

I just say with all these discussions, replies & views on this thread with it only being 1 day old should say something. I dunno about anyone else but in my view Gowk isnt good for the game. Theres to many different thoughts of why to ban him & why not to ban him. & i just think even all the people who do not want to ban him that if they did ban him they wouldnt lose sleep over it. & i just feel if he is kept this debate will just keep going.

And i for one do not want this game to just focus on making counters to Gowk & not just focus on making the game better. I just think he's to powerful & i know there takes skill in this game to be successful. But at the same time he is powerful enough to get a beginner player alot of chances to beat an average player. The game shouldnt be like that, the game should be like you having to learn strategies & learn the game. Meaning know all powers, abilities, most rules. The line practice makes perfect should apply here.

You should have to go through trial & era to become a pretty good player, not just be able to pick one figure & have that one figure affect how much better you become. What about all of the people who spent years playing the game to become good & competitive? & then a piece like Gowk comes into the mix & can have the chance to make a beginner half good. Just dont like the way the games going with it.

[/quote

Agree completely
billiv15
Posted: Tuesday, June 30, 2009 6:47:11 AM

strate_jakit wrote:
billiv15 wrote:
Lol, I am fairly certain I never played "clamup" and I am definately sure I have never played against the almighty CAT.

Do you recall what I supposedly played on this mythical game?

i don't remember actually and i couldn't tell you if it was a serious team or not but I know how it ended. im done with this, i try to tell you gowk can be beaten, you say no. i tell you how i do, you say it's irrelevent because im not as good as you. i say i've beaten you, you do everything you can to deny it. i really don't want to to see what you say next.

Whoa there. First, I have never, ever said "Gowk cannot be beaten". The issue is meta control, not invincibility, and it's breaking of the fundamental mechanics of the game, together with point limits and time limit play. Its about meta constriction and tournament play. None of that has to do with being "unbeatable". The problem is what it takes to beat him is not universally good for the game.

You said that GGDAC, IG X4, BDO, GO is a good enough 150pt squad to compete in tournaments. Anyone who plays in the big tournaments will tell you it is not. It isn't even a great local squad at many venues. I did not however, say is was irrelevant because "you are not as good as me". I was talking speficially about the squad problems. You then started making claims about how it would win this and win that. I said it won't win a big event or get close (which is absolutely true), and if you believed that it would, then clearly you aren't playing in top level play. That was not an assessment of your "skill" it was an assessment of your understanding of the tournament meta. Which of course, relates directly back to the discussion at hand, that if you don't understand big tournament play, then you won't understand why GOWK is an issue for it necessarily.

As to the mythical game you claim to have played, who knows where you got that. Maybe someone was smurfing me on Vassal, it wouldn't be the first time. But I generally have a very good memory of my games, and I know if someone even played me (fun game or competitive) with a CAT I would remember that. I also have a very good memory for names and I know I have no idea who clam up is.

Plus, I find it absolutely laughable that you would try to claim you played me way back when on another person's account. Even if I had played said game, it could easily have not been you playing it anyways, as you have no way to prove it. If you want to prove your skill, hop on Vassal and play some of us for real. You really don't need to make up stories to prove your skill.

I lose games all the time. It isn't that big of a deal, especially if it was a random pick up type game, where I usually run odd stuff, or try somethings, etc. Even claiming you beat me isn't going to gain you any points anyways, so I don't know why you think its necessary to lie about it. You bring your IG squad, I'll bring GOWK, and you can see what top level tournament play looks like. That is of course, unless like I do, you also consider it a waste of time since tomorrow he gets banned anyways. But then, I would still be willing to play a game with something else anyways, and the results will be the same.
Capin_ahab
Posted: Tuesday, June 30, 2009 7:05:59 AM

I can vouch that Strate played those games, because i was watching both of them. However i do remember vaugely that Bill was running some joke team(not sure exactly). And dean was running a team that i wouldnt consider top teir. (at the time, which was about 2 years ago.) It was maybe a teir 2 squad. Just adding this information, because i thought it was relevant.
billiv15
Posted: Tuesday, June 30, 2009 7:10:00 AM

Capin_ahab wrote:
I can vouch that Strate played those games, because i was watching both of them. However i do remember vaugely that Bill was running some joke team(not sure exactly). And dean was running a team that i wouldnt consider top teir. (at the time, which was about 2 years ago.) It was maybe a teir 2 squad. Just adding this information, because i thought it was relevant.

Again, I have never played a game against a CAT, other than at the release events. You do not know it was me playing.