RegisterDonateLogin

Handy Tip: Frozen Bloo Milk cubes make great damage markers.

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Members

I refuse to stop using GOWK Options
Darth Sarcasim
Posted: Friday, July 3, 2009 6:29:15 PM
Groups: Member

luke hates thrawn wrote:

WHAT GOOD DOES HE DO FOR THE GAME!!!

Well duh.. He funnels the team builds into a narrow perspective lacking any creativity.. its either pro Gowk or ANTI-Gowk.. like back in the day of Ravager in MTG...
Sithborg
Posted: Saturday, July 4, 2009 12:58:39 AM
Groups: Member , Moderator, Rules Guy

strate_jakit wrote:
wow, some of you people really overreacted to being called "whiners". in fact, i might even say you were whining about it.

At this point, most of us are sick and tired of being called names because we believe that Obi is the rare, broken piece in this game. Most of those people who insult us based on ignorant beliefs about us. There are understandable reasons for not wanting a ban, but using insults is getting really tiresome.
strate_jakit
Posted: Saturday, July 4, 2009 2:35:48 AM

Sithborg wrote:
strate_jakit wrote:
wow, some of you people really overreacted to being called "whiners". in fact, i might even say you were whining about it.

At this point, most of us are sick and tired of being called names because we believe that Obi is the rare, broken piece in this game. Most of those people who insult us based on ignorant beliefs about us. There are understandable reasons for not wanting a ban, but using insults is getting really tiresome.

stop whiningFlapper. i was being sarcastic(sort of)
billiv15
Posted: Saturday, July 4, 2009 2:38:56 AM

Honestly, no one likes being called names. I have about 0 respect for anyone calling their opponents names at this point. I don't care if you are sarcastic or not. You have already shown your maturity level to be that of a little kid.

If you can't have respect for those who care about the game and spend a lot of their time working on it and trying to make it better, then I have little time for your opinion on any issue.

I am sorry, but the reality is, if you are incapable of starting with respect for others, I have no interest in respecting your view on anything. Any one involved in the ban did so because it was the right thing to do based on all the information we could collect. Whether you agree or not does not give you free reign to call anyone anything. All it does is show you to be an immature person incapable of conversing with adults. I don't mind the occasional jab here or there, heck, those can be fun. But this is certainly becoming very tiresome.
strate_jakit
Posted: Saturday, July 4, 2009 2:47:57 AM

billiv15 wrote:
Honestly, no one likes being called names. I have about 0 respect for anyone calling their opponents names at this point. I don't care if you are sarcastic or not. You have already shown your maturity level to be that of a little kid.

If you can't have respect for those who care about the game and spend a lot of their time working on it and trying to make it better, then I have little time for your opinion on any issue.

I am sorry, but the reality is, if you are incapable of starting with respect for others, I have no interest in respecting your view on anything. Any one involved in the ban did so because it was the right thing to do based on all the information we could collect. Whether you agree or not does not give you free reign to call anyone anything. All it does is show you to be an immature person incapable of conversing with adults. I don't mind the occasional jab here or there, heck, those can be fun. But this is certainly becoming very tiresome.

yes, jabs are fun. that's what i was doing, having fun. that is the purpose of sarcasm isn't it. but if you're tired of this you don't have to respond to everything anybody writes. i wasn't talking to you specifically anyway. i'd also like to add that if you have no respect for name callers you probably shouldn't call others names like immature, not that i'm even insulted by it.
madslaust
Posted: Saturday, July 4, 2009 2:55:45 AM

strate_jakit wrote:
billiv15 wrote:

yes, jabs are fun. that's what i was doing, having fun. that is the purpose of sarcasm isn't it. but if you're tired of this you don't have to respond to everything anybody writes. i wasn't talking to you specifically anyway. i'd also like to add that if you have no respect for name callers you probably shouldn't call others names like immature, not that that is much of an insult.

"Immature" is not a noun. It's a description of behaviour. And sarcasm is witty usually, and doesn't use name-calling. Adults don't call each other names, so billiv15 is correct in noting your lack of respect for people involved in SWM.

It's times like these I dislike the lack of a report button on these boards...
strate_jakit
Posted: Saturday, July 4, 2009 3:04:14 AM

are you serious? i don't know about you but where i live there are a lot of adults. they call eachother names all the time, and sometimes they use sarcasm and name calling together. and an insult doesn't have to be a noun. stupid, immature, gay, these aren't nouns but they're still insults.
luke hates thrawn
Posted: Saturday, July 4, 2009 3:10:54 AM

I find it funny that DDude just ignored the thread and left it for the wolves after the OP
Uggie Demo
Posted: Saturday, July 4, 2009 4:20:55 AM

luke hates thrawn wrote:
I find it funny that DDude just ignored the thread and left it for the wolves after the OP

Yes it dose....Sneaky
Durge Dude
Posted: Saturday, July 4, 2009 4:32:19 AM

Well I havent been on since I posted it, and I posted an apology thead
kenred2
Posted: Saturday, July 4, 2009 4:33:41 AM

Do you guys realize that Durge Dude's post is not insulting anyone "specifically?" It's a rant, complaining how he feels about the outcome of GOWK's ban. Even though it is immature to do so, it should be no insult to anyone.... see the post for yourself, if you take the OP seriously, then you take this topic to a flame war... think about it. Any person can rant on and on about the ban, and that's the very nature of it. People who understood the ban should have avoided this topic at all cost....
Sithborg
Posted: Saturday, July 4, 2009 5:02:31 AM

He is perfectly inline to be upset about a ban. However, given the insults that have been flying recently, it is perfectly valid to see how he calls the top players whiners as an insult, and perhaps baiting.
kenred2
Posted: Saturday, July 4, 2009 5:10:10 AM

Sithborg wrote:
He is perfectly inline to be upset about a ban. However, given the insults that have been flying recently, it is perfectly valid to see how he calls the top players whiners as an insult, and perhaps baiting.

Incorrect... top players was never implied by the OP.... which means you shouldn't be taking this OP seriously. Calling us as an insult is his derogatory (which shows his immaturity, but if you continue, you're no better than he is)... like I said, this thread should have been avoided
Volvagia14
Posted: Saturday, July 4, 2009 6:44:00 AM

can I point out that this IS just a game?

plz?
DarthJak
Posted: Saturday, July 4, 2009 7:11:51 AM

Sad the lives of myself and my children hang by a thread!(no pun intended) life or death is going to be determined by if GOWK is banned or not! nothing is more serious to me. ban him? let him stay? kill me ? let me live? this is way more important than anything else to me !! before you decide , won't you please consider the children. they've done nothing wrong, yet their fate is tied to GOWK's. oh the agony! oh the despair! please God don't let it be true!Huh
RannKonnar
Posted: Saturday, July 4, 2009 7:27:47 AM

ThumbsUp
Doogle126 wrote:
Please people, Lets stop throwing around all this. I Knew that GOWk being banned would cause all this. Can't we all get along? Cue into music: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1dYpnd_9TFs

I love that song!
And its the perfect song for this thread.
joelker41
Posted: Saturday, July 4, 2009 6:55:44 PM

Originally I was anti-ban but now I am indifferent. I am happy the headache is going to finally be over with in general.

I never really played GOWK competitively, but I did play against him and overall he is a very tough nut to crack in the right hands.

The primary reason I am happy about the ban is smaller factions like the Vong, Sith, and OR have had their rolls (and rosters with JA) changed significantly. Sith were a great option with all the Auto Damage and Jarael abuse with extra FPs, now they can run around with cheaper (and yet better) versions of the DJM and more fringe to have fun with. OR just got a lot more competitive with Exile, the Battlemasters, and the Rangers, all of which wouldn't have never seen competitive play in the GOWK Meta. Also, the Vong are a little cooler now that they have cheap beastly pieces that are harder to kill then the JH swarm squads used to be.

I am happy because in my eyes is 'unbroke' the game to where squads that rely on rolling dice to do damage now don't have to be put on the shelf as consistently.

It's refreshing to play a piece with an Extra Attack CE and actually not have all the shots granted negated. ;)

Live and let live. If you complain about the banning you aren't doing yourself any good. You don't see threads by pro-ban people saying they were right and all of us who were on the fence or anti-ban were stupid do you? No.

Like many professional analyzers say, take the emotion out of it, look at the facts. This game is now much more wide open in the tier 1 and 1.5 arena then it was. That fact is undeniable IMO.

The 'if you can't beat GOWK then you aren't trying hard enough' argument is a little short sighted IMO. I went to regionals with a boring squad that took much less skill to use simply because I had the most practice with it, not because I thought it was going to win.

You see WAY to many people complaining about it. I for one can't wait to see the forum environment in a week when all the anti-ban flamers finally stop their whining about what they can't change, GOWK is gone. Deal with it.

A GOWK-less meta now makes it more of a 'who is the better player' meta instead of a 'rock-paper-scissors' meta where auto losses occur based on GOWK/GOWK-hate squads. It's NICE for the smaller factions.

I know that statement doesn't exactly make sense when Vong and Sith saw a lot of competitive (and successfully so) play by many people as an anti-GOWK measure and now they can actually use pieces like Naga Sadow, JBMs, Ossus Guardians, Mira, Atton, and the return of random Generics squads with Antarians and Klingon Jinn running around. It makes it so those squads geared mostly for anti-GOWK can actually change a little with the current Meta to be able to fight the YoBucks, Snowspeeders, Cannons, etc squads of the world.

Long live fun squads that can actually win tournies! Let the age of rolling dice return in full glory!

strate_jakit
Posted: Sunday, July 5, 2009 3:51:46 AM

you know, it's been a while since a made a fun team and took it to a tourney. in fact the last time i did, coincidently, was around the time clone wars came out. i was never for or against the ban too strongly but i kinda like the idea of being able to do that again. especially with pieces like the dark woman, phasing through stuff just sounds sounds like so much fun. and if you're right, and in a week all these arguments(which I admit to being a part of) stop, then i'm really liking the ban
Mickey
Posted: Sunday, July 5, 2009 5:27:26 AM

Unfortunately at the regional and beyond level where the prizes are high people are out to win not have fun. I think that is where most of the passion for the ban comes from. In fact, it is to my understanding that some things like the ban of maps, pieces etc are allowed in DCI format if agreed upon by those at the LGS.

I do not feel the list of stuff to play is shrinking. I find myself sitting at the SWMinimanager trying to decide what to play as my collection increases. There is so much I have wanted to try that there is so little time and games to do it in. With each new set that comes out the choices become endless. So many good synergies!!

A community can be destroyed over issues like this. The point of the game is to have fun. It's no fun when there is division. The decision has been made--time to get back to having fun.
Sithborg
Posted: Sunday, July 5, 2009 12:14:16 PM

Mickey wrote:
Unfortunately at the regional and beyond level where the prizes are high people are out to win not have fun. I think that is where most of the passion for the ban comes from. In fact, it is to my understanding that some things like the ban of maps, pieces etc are allowed in DCI format if agreed upon by those at the LGS

You should read the debates a bit more. Most are saying that they want him gone to prevent a stale meta, too increase the fun factor of playing highly competitive games.