RegisterDonateLogin

Allies within 6 squares gain Bloo Milk.

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Members

I refuse to stop using GOWK Options
Partof1
Posted: Sunday, July 5, 2009 2:39:48 PM
Groups: Member

GOWK is in no way good for the game, and in many ways bad. If you disagree with this, I respect that, but name-calling is completely uncalled for, especially when the targets are people who have put so much effort into bettering our game.
klecser
Posted: Monday, July 6, 2009 4:16:27 AM

Gau wrote:
This is a laughable decision. I'm very sad...this decision, when combined with the ever-increasing power creep and shrinking top-tier list, have finally pushed me over the edge. I'm not willing to sink any more money into a game where 90% of the things I pull are going to be useless, and now on top of that, some of the things will be outright outlawed from play.

I'll see what I can get out of my rares, but enjoy your game post-ban. I'm out.

Don't let the door hit you on the way out. RollEyes

The fact that you find it "laughable" pretty much shows how little you understand the issues.

Mickey wrote:

A community can be destroyed over issues like this. The point of the game is to have fun. It's no fun when there is division. The decision has been made--time to get back to having fun.

Well said Mickey. Although I think this probably won't happen, I'm hoping for it.
Zombieboy
Posted: Wednesday, July 8, 2009 4:48:13 AM

Either way doesn't bother me I never got around to using him
thodafett
Posted: Wednesday, July 8, 2009 9:39:57 AM

I must have the wrong job, with all the whining you guys do back and forth over who's right or wrong, how do you even find the time to play? I have a hard enough time finding playing time let alone arguing over an issue that only effects DCI play!! Man I need to become a teacher or a pastor or something!! Seriously though most of you nay sayers are not DCI players! If you are then you are missing a lot of the point of the game. I honestly could care less if he is banned or not but I am so sick and tired of this issue I had to say something! Grow up all of you! This is a game, play it the way you want. If you want a highly structured set of rules with a bunch of uptight "know everythings" play DCI(sorry guys I have played quite a few games over the years and that is the way it is with most highly competitive players in the sanctioned events, some of you even make your living this way which is fine by me so you need to know the rules and follow every change), if you want a fun casual game dont!!! it is that simple. I have not scene one good arguement why he shouldn't be banned in DCI PLAY, you can't have the other side take you seriously when you begin acting like little kids. Sorry guys that is how I see it!
This has become like putting a christian, mormon, jehovah's witness, and catholic in the same room and expecting them to agree about religion before they can leave the room. Then when they agree to disagree, because NONE of the could possibly be WRONG, adding an aethiest to the room to just stir the pot some more!! GOOD GRIEF!!!
shatterpoint7
Posted: Wednesday, July 8, 2009 10:35:57 AM

Does is really matter? It only takes $10 to get GOWK, if Boba BH ($50) was banned then I might be more understanding.
saeseetiin
Posted: Wednesday, July 8, 2009 11:33:32 AM

GOWK was banned for a reason so I think if you still use him you are either not that good or just want the advantage. I know he can be beat but only by hate squads. I'm happy he is gone.
Mordantos
Posted: Thursday, July 9, 2009 12:10:55 PM

shatterpoint7 wrote:
...if Boba BH ($50) was banned then I might be more understanding.
And Boba BH is now also banned... in a certain format. LOL
Darth O
Posted: Sunday, July 12, 2009 4:35:43 PM

Does this mean all of the starter ones will be banned? I'd personally like to see Obi-Wan banned from 07 set.
saeseetiin
Posted: Sunday, July 12, 2009 11:57:56 PM

Darth O wrote:
Does this mean all of the starter ones will be banned? I'd personally like to see Obi-Wan banned from 07 set.
Why?
kenred2
Posted: Monday, July 13, 2009 1:06:07 AM

saeseetiin wrote:
Darth O wrote:
Why?

I think Darth O meant it as an exaggerated joke, since DCI banned GOWK and Broken Christophsis, why not ban all starters such as the 2007 Obi, since GOWK is Obi, have him banned as well.... at least, that's what I think
lunchnavy
Posted: Monday, July 13, 2009 2:13:33 AM

Look we all know it is beating a dead bantha right now but hes is what you should worrie about

when they start to ban figs the game starts to go down the tubes

they did this with magic it go so bad one year they preposed to ban blue mana

madslaust
Posted: Monday, July 13, 2009 2:29:09 AM

lunchnavy wrote:
Look we all know it is beating a dead bantha right now but hes is what you should worrie about

when they start to ban figs the game starts to go down the tubes

they did this with magic it go so bad one year they preposed to ban blue mana

And how long has Magic existed post-banning?
lunchnavy
Posted: Monday, July 13, 2009 3:46:02 AM

and the game has suffered for it. magic players are losing their faith and would rather play red dragon inn. the ones at my store are droping it more and more and some are turning to swm's but the ban thing has got them worried also
defender390
Posted: Monday, July 13, 2009 4:45:47 AM

Banning is still much better than errata, trust me.
Uggie Demo
Posted: Monday, July 13, 2009 4:54:24 AM

defender390 wrote:

could you tell us why? Confused
dnemiller
Posted: Monday, July 13, 2009 5:53:29 AM

well Gowk being banned does not come close to what goes on in other games. And there is no reason to expect Gowk to be a permaban. Just give Wizards some time.

You surely have heard of Warhammer because in that game they have banned entire armies from the game. That game is still going strong. Can you imagine a faction being banned because Warhammer has done it. SO just be patient see what the design team comes up with in response.
Mordantos
Posted: Monday, July 13, 2009 7:18:55 AM

dnemiller wrote:
You surely have heard of Warhammer because in that game they have banned entire armies from the game. That game is still going strong.
They have also revised the rules for Warhammer several times along with those 'bannings' (Fantasy is on 7th edition, 40k is on 5th). Are you saying that is what we are looking at also?Scared
mercenary_moose
Posted: Monday, July 13, 2009 7:30:32 AM

thodafett wrote:
I must have the wrong job, with all the whining you guys do back and forth over who's right or wrong, how do you even find the time to play? I have a hard enough time finding playing time let alone arguing over an issue that only effects DCI play!! Man I need to become a teacher or a pastor or something!! Seriously though most of you nay sayers are not DCI players! If you are then you are missing a lot of the point of the game. I honestly could care less if he is banned or not but I am so sick and tired of this issue I had to say something! Grow up all of you! This is a game, play it the way you want. If you want a highly structured set of rules with a bunch of uptight "know everythings" play DCI(sorry guys I have played quite a few games over the years and that is the way it is with most highly competitive players in the sanctioned events, some of you even make your living this way which is fine by me so you need to know the rules and follow every change), if you want a fun casual game dont!!! it is that simple. I have not scene one good arguement why he shouldn't be banned in DCI PLAY, you can't have the other side take you seriously when you begin acting like little kids. Sorry guys that is how I see it!
This has become like putting a christian, mormon, jehovah's witness, and catholic in the same room and expecting them to agree about religion before they can leave the room. Then when they agree to disagree, because NONE of the could possibly be WRONG, adding an aethiest to the room to just stir the pot some more!! GOOD GRIEF!!!

I COULDN'T HAVE RANTED ON THAT BETTER MYSELF!!! ESPECIALLY THE BOLDED PART!
dnemiller
Posted: Monday, July 13, 2009 7:49:05 AM

Mordantos wrote:
dnemiller wrote:
You surely have heard of Warhammer because in that game they have banned entire armies from the game. That game is still going strong.
They have also revised the rules for Warhammer several times along with those 'bannings' (Fantasy is on 7th edition, 40k is on 5th). Are you saying that is what we are looking at also?Scared

No I think maybe you missed my point. Everyone is saying that banning is such a slippery slope and it ruins the game. Well every game like this has had bannings. It is just what happens when human being make mistakes. Rob has made a few mistakes ove the years some people know about others they dont. This is the first one that really effected gameplay.

What I am saying is that no one is expecting Gowk to not be readdressed at some point. Meaning maybe he will be redesigned. Maybe errata'd to something a little better for the overall game.

I look at Yoda currently and he is so very good and very dangerous as a figure. But what makes him completely acceptable is your opponent has the option of getting rid of him by traditional game mechanics IE attacking. Gowk kind of skipped that. Maybe if SSM had just stopped the first 20 dmg to all attacks. Then cunning and opp. could have made little dents in his SSM armor. Then he is better dealt with. But only time will tell at this moment. I have faith though that Gowk will be handled. One bad fig in almost 800 is acceptable and I have no reason to think they wont take care of that too.
defender390
Posted: Monday, July 13, 2009 8:04:05 AM

Uggie Demo wrote:
defender390 wrote:

could you tell us why? Confused

Here is my post from another thread:

defender390 wrote:
I did not really want to get into this, but I noticed that a lot of people want errata instead. I know from personal experiance that errata destroys games. Axis & Allies miniatures did this often, and it was horrible. First, it just started out with the SS Panzergrenadier and the US Rangers being recosted to make them more balanced. Then, they came out with an entire set based upon a scale change and recosting of old figures. It was horrible, half of your collection was useless because of the new set. Then, they released platoon cards that made units cheaper if you used them with certian other units. This was a round-about way of errataing the cost of old figures. They subsequently stopped supporting platoon cards. Then, finally, they made the ultimate mistake. They errataed hundreds of cards and released them in PDF form so you had to print them out yourself. These new erratas made the soldiers in each faction practically carbon copies of each other to "even the playing field", thus destroying flavor in the game. I would hate to see that happen to Star Wars Miniatures, and would much rather see a figure temporarily banned in DCI until the game catches up to him. Errata should be reserved for honest printing errors, not fixes for competitive play. If not, it is like putting a bandaid on an arterial wound. It does little to help the problem, you have to keep adding more constantly, and in the end all you end up with is a dead patient (game) and a bloody mess. I think a relatively hands off approach should be taken, the game generally takes care of itself. Examples: Jedi Weapon Master, Grand Admiral Thrawn, Boba Fett Bounty Hunter. When you mettle, that self-sufficient quality disappears. The problem is that **** was simply too much for the game to handle. Something had to be done. We will see **** again, but not now.