RegisterDonateLogin

Aged like a fine wine.

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Members

When is a Squad problem? Options
DarthMaim
Posted: Friday, July 21, 2017 10:13:02 AM
Groups: Member

General_Grievous wrote:
I feel like any good swap squad would clean house with this. Sith Revan, Panaka deepstrike, or Thrawn would make short work of this.

Except that Urban's reserve squad beat Lou's Thrawn swap at the NW Ohio Regional, just last weekend Wink
fingersandteeth
Posted: Friday, July 21, 2017 10:13:13 AM

jen'ari wrote:
fingersandteeth wrote:
He got one test and it was far from optimized. A few pages of discussion that missed the elephant in the room and you have a synergy that just should not be.

Well this seems to be the biggest problem of all...

I have done little play testing in my day but am signed up for next set.

It seems more play testing is a more real concern than we (or at least I) give it credit.

Playtesting is supposed to be the safety net. IMO it is the most important aspect of designing. Anyone can make a figure and stats that look reasonable but its incredibly rare for figs to hit the mark first time and in a theoretical sense you can argue until you are blue in the face about what its going to do.

Showing it though is hard data that designers can't, or at least shouldn't, ignore.

I think that last point is the most important aspect. Playtesting needs to be done correctly pushing the limits of the fig to its most extreme to see what breaks. You aren't necessarily trying to play a game but break the figure and so you need to perhaps ignore that 20 that gave the game to the side that was gonna lose and make a fig look worse than it is. After all, this is a game of probabilities and you need to be able to see the common aspects of the figure and not judge it on outliers. If that is done and something is exposed the designers MUST react and stifle their pride and intent for the good of the game.

Most mistakes have come from over ambitious stats that had little or poor playtests followed by eager designers ready to sign off with little change in stats (Pong is a fantastic example, great ideas but overzealous and without attention to the important details, but a 60 figure set coming up rapidly to deadlines means pushing out figs that needed more attention).

I'll also point out that in some cases past dialogues between designers and play testers have been full of animosity and friction as ideas were challenged by playtests and designers become reluctant to bend based on theoretical boundaries. This should not happen. Designers should see their initial design as a ball of clay and should be receptive to the feedback and HAPPY to change it from comments by people who are essentially doing them a favor. I believe these past interactions have had a detrimental impact on the vsets design as a whole with reluctance from people to playtest that generally reduces the quality of the end result.

Anyone who has designed can attest to the emotional rollercoaster it is as people contest for ideas but in the end you have to be willing to compromise and this is most important when assessing playtest feedback. In a perfect situation figures go back and fore multiple times. However, in reality this is the exception not the rule due to time and figure numbers.

As the game grows in size, things become more complex and figs deserve further scrutiny. Playtesting is now at its most important and unfortunately at its most minimal.

If you guys have signed up to, playtest I salute you. Its often thankless but so, so necessary (you also get a leg up on those who might not see the stats before you know how the pieces play).
Deaths_Baine
Posted: Friday, July 21, 2017 10:20:12 AM

fingersandteeth wrote:
jen'ari wrote:
fingersandteeth wrote:
He got one test and it was far from optimized. A few pages of discussion that missed the elephant in the room and you have a synergy that just should not be.

Well this seems to be the biggest problem of all...

I have done little play testing in my day but am signed up for next set.

It seems more play testing is a more real concern than we (or at least I) give it credit.

Playtesting is supposed to be the safety net. IMO it is the most important aspect of designing. Anyone can make a figure and stats that look reasonable but its incredibly rare for figs to hit the mark first time and in a theoretical sense you can argue until you are blue in the face about what its going to do.

Showing it though is hard data that designers can't, or at least shouldn't, ignore.

I think that last point is the most important aspect. Playtesting needs to be done correctly pushing the limits of the fig to its most extreme to see what breaks. You aren't necessarily trying to play a game but break the figure and so you need to perhaps ignore that 20 that gave the game to the side that was gonna lose and make a fig look worse than it is. After all, this is a game of probabilities and you need to be able to see the common aspects of the figure and not judge it on outliers. If that is done and something is exposed the designers MUST react and stifle their pride and intent for the good of the game.

Most mistakes have come from over ambitious stats that had little or poor playtests followed by eager designers ready to sign off with little change in stats (Pong is a fantastic example, great ideas but overzealous and without attention to the important details, but a 60 figure set coming up rapidly to deadlines means pushing out figs that needed more attention).

I'll also point out that in some cases past dialogues between designers and play testers have been full of animosity and friction as ideas were challenged by playtests and designers become reluctant to bend based on theoretical boundaries. This should not happen. Designers should see their initial design as a ball of clay and should be receptive to the feedback and HAPPY to change it from comments by people who are essentially doing them a favor. I believe these past interactions have had a detrimental impact on the vsets design as a whole with reluctance from people to playtest that generally reduces the quality of the end result.

Anyone who has designed can attest to the emotional rollercoaster it is as people contest for ideas but in the end you have to be willing to compromise and this is most important when assessing playtest feedback. In a perfect situation figures go back and fore multiple times. However, in reality this is the exception not the rule due to time and figure numbers.

As the game grows in size, things become more complex and figs deserve further scrutiny. Playtesting is now at its most important and unfortunately at its most minimal.

If you guys have signed up to, playtest I salute you. Its often thankless but so, so necessary (you also get a leg up on those who might not see the stats before you know how the pieces play).

This is a good post, and I will say this in addition:

If you had bad experiences playtesting in the past, it is not the same as it is now. I mean that whole heartedly.... I am one of, if not, the hardest critic on here, but I am also playtesting and trying to do my part again, and I can say so far this group has listened to my feedback in play reports and at the very least considered the feedback I posted in a play report. so if past experiences are holding you back I urge you to give it another go.
fingersandteeth
Posted: Friday, July 21, 2017 10:25:53 AM

That really is good to hear
donnyrides
Posted: Friday, July 21, 2017 11:11:36 AM

Is there any reason we don't lock down the character pool from it's current set of 1592? Maybe WotC and the last 4 Vsets. I know you guys want variety but this is a large pool to choose from. This give designers more freedom and less to test against. New metas would spur up every release as stuff gets phased out. You could hold new tourney types like MTG does. You could have different types of play like: standard (WotC + Last 4 Vsets) and legacy (WotC + first 4 Vsets) and extended standard (WotC + Last 6 Vsets) and Open (all pieces).

My ideas and thoughts are generally met with "No" and "You don't play regionals so *&^& You!" So I'm ready for this outside the box idea to be smushed.

Right now 1592 + the upcoming set is WAY too much to govern at each release.

Fire away!!!
Deaths_Baine
Posted: Friday, July 21, 2017 11:16:19 AM

donnyrides wrote:
Is there any reason we don't lock down the character pool from it's current set of 1592? Maybe WotC and the last 4 Vsets. I know you guys want variety but this is a large pool to choose from. This give designers more freedom and less to test against. New metas would spur up every release as stuff gets phased out. You could hold new tourney types like MTG does. You could have different types of play like: standard (WotC + Last 4 Vsets) and legacy (WotC + first 4 Vsets) and extended standard (WotC + Last 6 Vsets) and Open (all pieces).

My ideas and thoughts are generally met with "No" and "You don't play regionals so *&^& You!" So I'm ready for this outside the box idea to be smushed.

Right now 1592 + the upcoming set is WAY too much to govern at each release.

Fire away!!!

Shmi15 where are you... calling shmi15.... he'll be here in a sec.

It is a great idea in my opinion, but playtesting and future design becomes hard because it is hard to correctly predict what will dominate in that time frame and design for what you need to counter/add to each faction.

I'm still for this idea, or just an overhaul of a lot of stuff and I mean a lot.
shmi15
Posted: Friday, July 21, 2017 11:32:17 AM

I have always been on board for phasing things out. even if its not complete Sets. Phasing pieces out. Like this year, Daala is not legal. This year, Act Control is not legal. I'm a fan of MTG, and love their formats, as in multiple types of play styles. BUT. With the community thinned out, there is no reason to really go that route. best case scenario, is to hold "non competitive" tournaments, where you just ban certain pieces/Sets.

And the only reason I use the term Non competitive, is because GenCon will always be the Major tournament. So whatever rules GenCon use, is what they use.

I am 100% for more Vassal tournaments, with unique rules. Themed squads, or squad building restrictions, anything to shake up the meta of that tournament. All Melee, only 3 copies of any non unique per squad. Anything like that.

And play testing that many pieces is not as bad as it seems. Its the ignorance that goes into the play testing, and its people not wanting to change things even when they are told its bad, thats the bad thing.... We need more people to attempt to break pieces, not go, well I ran a squad and put him in it, he was ok. Optimize the piece your testing, with as many tweaks and angles as you can possibly think of. MOST PIECES DON'T HAVE TO BE TESTED TO BE CHANGED. Most of the time you can build a squad, and just go, nope. Sometimes you can look at another piece (Kazdan/Pong) and say, NOPE! But, unfortunately, in order to get those changes we need people who are in that mindset testing, and having some control. But, the Powers that be refuse to let us into their service, for fear of not getting things out that THEY want.

I'm a man of the people. A voice for the unheard. I want this game to stay as fun as possible, with less and less NPE's. With less mishaps in playtesting, and more accountability for designers when they continue to design bad pieces. I want the playtesting committee t do their job, and play test. If the PT committee is only looking at Pong, giving him one test, and then letting him go, then THEY NEED TO BE REPLACED. Put people in that are actually going to put time into this. Not just your friends who you want to help you get an agenda across. Put people in that are going to take the time to do the job, or put me and Death's Baine in there, and be prepared for some intense designing debates, and for less "We didn't think about this interaction."

Vote DB/Shmi for your 2018 PT Committee, and we will give the people what they want! No Bloo Milk
FlyingArrow
Posted: Friday, July 21, 2017 12:09:48 PM
Groups: Member , Moderator

I don't see GenCon being changed to phase things out. It's just not what the majority wants.

But people like new formats. It just takes someone to step up and organize it/advertise it.
shmi15
Posted: Friday, July 21, 2017 12:25:33 PM

FlyingArrow wrote:
I don't see GenCon being changed to phase things out. It's just not what the majority wants.

But people like new formats. It just takes someone to step up and organize it/advertise it.

I agree, I do not see it changing, nor do I think it should, like I said. And, as I said, it would have to be vassal tournaments with special rules, which I am on board for trying out. But keep the rules simple, and easy to follow.