RegisterDonateLogin

Won't flash you with its vents.

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Members

Attack the Top 2 Factions! Stop the Banning and Errata'ing! Options
DarthMaim
Posted: Thursday, November 16, 2017 12:26:17 PM
Groups: Member

I moved this discussion from the Official Balance Committee Rulings post;

The way you attack these factions is to instead of banning, nerfing, or errata'ing, the Rebels and Imperials, make new characters, commander effects, and special abilities, that specifically attack these 2 factions!

1. Much more Rebel Hunter

2. Much more Imperial Hunter

3. Ability that negates booming voice

4. Commander effects or more "Never Tell Me the Odds" and abilities that negate Master Tactician

5. Abilities or commander effects that hinder Charging Fire

6. Abilities or commander effects that nullify Prideful

7. Some type of ability or commander effect that negates and nullifies board wide commander effects

8. More ways to deal with Diplomat ( especially the 5 pt diplomats, uggh )

9. Cheaper Disruptive and commanders that grant disciplined leader ( I mean, why do the Rebels get the only 8 pt Disruptive mini, 9 pt activation modifier, and 14pt crazy boardwide commander effect? )

10. More CHEAPER ways to deal with activation modifying commanders............................................This is something that has been an NPE for almost a decade! And whoever does this, allow them to sit and spin in the back as well!

11. A commander effect or special ability that can DESTROY AND ELIMINATE ridiculous, cowerdous, cherry picking commanders that just sit in a locked room, in the far reaches of the map, never to see the light of day, or a speck of dirt on their uniforms, or a drop of blood spilled!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

12. Special ability or commander effect that ignores or makes immune to Ysalamiri

Let's get creative here ladies and gentleman. Stop being lazy by just throwing Thor's hammer down and banning everything that has already been established,that just confuses the community and costs us more money and time consuming efforts with all the re-printing and re-designing of stuff that has already been established!
DarthMaim
Posted: Thursday, November 16, 2017 12:29:20 PM

jen'ari
Posted: Wednesday, November 15, 2017 6:26:45 PM

Yay!
I agree 100%

It is a designer issue at this point since no one wants to ban dodonna and/or ozzel. And no one wants an activation limit so designers haven't the ball in their court.

So the way I see it is to continue to try to mess around with these if you activate last abilities until something sticks.
(To use queen amonoa we need great big sith beats that can work on their own, the way sith Lord ought to be)

Or we can come up with a mid level counter for or activation (double agent on a lobot reserve).

It we can just make Jedi and other uniques good enough to not care (especially in or, republic, sith)

But I am with you 100% it is time to see OR and Sith and Separatist somewhere on the map

I took the liberty to move Jen'ari's post over as well, as he makes salient points!

Caedus
Posted: Thursday, November 16, 2017 1:13:49 PM

Just my opinion, but I don't mind Daala's prideful or charging fire. My problem is that she then has access to cunning, opportunist, Yslamari, cannon shots and everything else under the sun. When reading some stories about her I found that Palleon was really the only other officer she got along with.

So my Daala solution would be to give her Rival: May be in a squad with 1 other Imperial Commander. Just my opinion
swinefeld
Posted: Thursday, November 16, 2017 1:26:18 PM
Groups: Member , Moderator

Caedus wrote:
Just my opinion, but I don't mind Daala's prideful or charging fire. My problem is that she then has access to cunning, opportunist, Yslamari, cannon shots and everything else under the sun. When reading some stories about her I found that Palleon was really the only other officer she got along with.

So my Daala solution would be to give her Rival: May be in a squad with 1 other Imperial Commander. Just my opinion

Independent (see Alto Stratus) would fit nicely. I'm Surprised it hasn't been reused yet.
gandalfthegreatestwizard
Posted: Thursday, November 16, 2017 2:50:12 PM

Daala's already been errata'd once (edit: twice!) already, and I'm not in favour of doing it again.

In response to the OP, I disagree that multiple counters to tier 1 Rebel and Imperial squads should be added. Counters are boring to play, and annoying to play against. The game could devolve into simply winning by having as many counters in your squad as possible, not by being creative and building powerful squads. Also, several of the proposed counters will hurt other factions as well as the two culprits.

I suggest instead that new characters should be added that provide more tier 1 options for other factions, boosting old and more recent characters in new combinations. That, in my opinion, would be far more interesting than simply adding hard counters to Rebels and Imperials.
TheHutts
Posted: Thursday, November 16, 2017 3:04:08 PM

gandalfthegreatestwizard wrote:
Daala's already been errata'd once already, and I'm not in favour of doing it again.

Twice!

I don't think the Imperial Hunter idea would curb Daala or Thrawn much - in Thrawn the attackers are often Fringe, while maybe it would help against Elite Scout Troopers but not the squishy builds.

The main issue with both factions is they out-tech everyone. I certainly wouldn't be opposed to cheap Fringe Never Tell Me The Odds or Double Agent, but I doubt it will ever happen. Bastila is about the best solution there is to all the tech, so maybe tossing OR Jedi builds lots of candy would help?
swinefeld
Posted: Thursday, November 16, 2017 3:10:46 PM

TheHutts wrote:
gandalfthegreatestwizard wrote:
Daala's already been errata'd once already, and I'm not in favour of doing it again.

Twice!

Third time's a charm. Razz
shmi15
Posted: Thursday, November 16, 2017 3:42:57 PM

I think the issue is Rebels have 4 Hans that are competitive, 3/4 Lukes that are competitive, 2/3 Leai's, a few Chewies, and now an R2 and 3PO who are to OP to not have in your squad. Top those off with the multiple filler options, and Rebels have like 20 seperate squad types/ Its insane. I love Imps/Rebels, they are the beginning of it all. But maybe jsut leave them out a few sets? and actualy try improving other faction types
DarthMaim
Posted: Thursday, November 16, 2017 3:46:18 PM

shmi15 wrote:
I think the issue is Rebels have 4 Hans that are competitive, 3/4 Lukes that are competitive, 2/3 Leai's, a few Chewies, and now an R2 and 3PO who are to OP to not have in your squad. Top those off with the multiple filler options, and Rebels have like 20 seperate squad types/ Its insane. I love Imps/Rebels, they are the beginning of it all. But maybe jsut leave them out a few sets? and actualy try improving other faction types

Big +1! ThumbsUp
DarthMaim
Posted: Thursday, November 16, 2017 3:56:27 PM

It just seems that new sets now just try and not rock the boat or the SWM community, to suffer community outrage, criticism, and backlash. Let's just be politically correct and not be "too" aggressive to do anything Tier 1! It's like walking on egg shells and pins and needles. "Let's not upset peops and make an OP mini that makes other factions Tier 1! " This just makes for boring sets, and will ultimately kill the game. There needs to be excitement, and to have change, and to have other factions compete. Not only compete, but win GenCon! New sets that focus on Tier 2 and 3 squads, are for the birds. You're not going to attract new players, when the same minis and factions are always dominating and winning. And if you're in favor of this, then shame on you! There is no substance to this. No thought. Just mindless drones making the same cookie cutter squads, that win again, and again, and again. In fact, eventually, veteran players will fade and fizzle, as well. Why wouldn't they? There is no challenge! ThumbDown
jen'ari
Posted: Thursday, November 16, 2017 5:06:38 PM

DarthMaim wrote:
It just seems that new sets now just try and not rock the boat or the SWM community, to suffer community outrage, criticism, and backlash. Let's just be politically correct and not be "too" aggressive to do anything Tier 1! It's like walking on egg shells and pins and needles. "Let's not upset peops and make an OP mini that makes other factions Tier 1! " This just makes for boring sets, and will ultimately kill the game. There needs to be excitement, and to have change, and to have other factions compete. Not only compete, but win GenCon! New sets that focus on Tier 2 and 3 squads, are for the birds. You're not going to attract new players, when the same minis and factions are always dominating and winning. And if you're in favor of this, then shame on you! There is no substance to this. No thought. Just mindless drones making the same cookie cutter squads, that win again, and again, and again. In fact, eventually, veteran players will fade and fizzle, as well. Why wouldn't they? There is no challenge! ThumbDown

Thanks for stating this.
I am probably one of those big pins and needles that are making designers hesitant.
I do want designers to be hesitant, but only for certain things.

To be 100% honest, jedi force users should be the OP pieces if anything, is the way I feel. If we are going to design pieces too powerful, lets make it make sense, is my opinion. I want designers to be bold in Jedi force users and more tentative with shooters and non-uniques. (except the big guns like Cad Bane, Durge, Han, etc)

I want power ranks to make sense. So Luke should be the most powerful in the game, etc.

So when we see Dodonna, C-3PO, Crix Madine, Ozzel, Palleaon, and Thrawn ruling the game it is very very hard. Then when you see it happening for a DECADE it makes it even more hard.

I feel three factions are already set up to balance Rebels and Imperials. Those are Old Republic, Sith, and Repblic.

All we need are aggressive jedi to seal the deal.

OR has Bastila with new Satele, Atton, Vima, and Zallow we have a few good options to play with. A few more aggressive costed pieces and we will be able to stop the evade, mobile, cunning, out activate with 10 piece squads.

Sith have Queen Amonoa, but Sith lack in power (Cognus and Plageuis have no teeth on the move, Sith'ari has no defense, Caedus can only be played with Barris these days, Revan is old news without a partner that works, etc)

Republic have Cin Drallig and Obi'Kin a few more aggressive lower costing Jedi (30-40) and we can be ready in that faction as well.
Cin-Drallig, Serra Keto, and Quinlan are already powerful. Obi-kin can be used well if he has a few cheaper pieces as well.

I think we can be close if designers are willing to aggressively make some force users.

Mandos are doing a decent job at deterring them just by being some meaty no one can do anything about it.

I think we are getting there tbh. Imperials also just need a complete new look. Something that changes the same old same old. Vader of Lothal tried hard to do that but is hated for some reason. I played him in a regional and I thought he played great in the faction. But we need Imperials to have a Vader-led storm trooper option.
One of the best scenes of Revenge of the Sith was Young Vader walking in with the troopers! where is that option?

Anyway, those are my thoughts. I, too, want to see a shift in top tier. I also want to see it shift to jedi, and most importantly, I think the ground work has already been laid without needing huge errata's (although Daala errata would be welcome with open arms) or floor rules, or bans
TheHutts
Posted: Thursday, November 16, 2017 5:38:04 PM

DarthMaim wrote:
It just seems that new sets now just try and not rock the boat or the SWM community, to suffer community outrage, criticism, and backlash. Let's just be politically correct and not be "too" aggressive to do anything Tier 1! It's like walking on egg shells and pins and needles. "Let's not upset peops and make an OP mini that makes other factions Tier 1! " This just makes for boring sets, and will ultimately kill the game. There needs to be excitement, and to have change, and to have other factions compete. Not only compete, but win GenCon!ThumbDown

One recent piece that I do like in terms of bringing something new to Tier 1 is Jango Fett Mandalore. Tank squad that's good against swarms is a pretty cool new build.
HoneHeron
Posted: Thursday, November 16, 2017 6:51:23 PM

jen'ari wrote:
DarthMaim wrote:

Thanks for stating this.
I am probably one of those big pins and needles that are making designers hesitant.
I do want designers to be hesitant, but only for certain things.

To be 100% honest, jedi force users should be the OP pieces if anything, is the way I feel. If we are going to design pieces too powerful, lets make it make sense, is my opinion. I want designers to be bold in Jedi force users and more tentative with shooters and non-uniques. (except the big guns like Cad Bane, Durge, Han, etc)

I want power ranks to make sense. So Luke should be the most powerful in the game, etc.

So when we see Dodonna, C-3PO, Crix Madine, Ozzel, Palleaon, and Thrawn ruling the game it is very very hard. Then when you see it happening for a DECADE it makes it even more hard.

I feel three factions are already set up to balance Rebels and Imperials. Those are Old Republic, Sith, and Repblic.

All we need are aggressive jedi to seal the deal.

OR has Bastila with new Satele, Atton, Vima, and Zallow we have a few good options to play with. A few more aggressive costed pieces and we will be able to stop the evade, mobile, cunning, out activate with 10 piece squads.

Sith have Queen Amonoa, but Sith lack in power (Cognus and Plageuis have no teeth on the move, Sith'ari has no defense, Caedus can only be played with Barris these days, Revan is old news without a partner that works, etc)

Republic have Cin Drallig and Obi'Kin a few more aggressive lower costing Jedi (30-40) and we can be ready in that faction as well.
Cin-Drallig, Serra Keto, and Quinlan are already powerful. Obi-kin can be used well if he has a few cheaper pieces as well.

I think we can be close if designers are willing to aggressively make some force users.

Mandos are doing a decent job at deterring them just by being some meaty no one can do anything about it.

I think we are getting there tbh. Imperials also just need a complete new look. Something that changes the same old same old. Vader of Lothal tried hard to do that but is hated for some reason. I played him in a regional and I thought he played great in the faction. But we need Imperials to have a Vader-led storm trooper option.
One of the best scenes of Revenge of the Sith was Young Vader walking in with the troopers! where is that option?

Anyway, those are my thoughts. I, too, want to see a shift in top tier. I also want to see it shift to jedi, and most importantly, I think the ground work has already been laid without needing huge errata's (although Daala errata would be welcome with open arms) or floor rules, or bans

I wholeheartedly agree with you here shmi. My favourite squads to play are big meaty Jedi. But when Luke or Caedus are being beaten by lil shooters, it's frustrating. I agree that if some really good force users were added, it would help bring factions up. Lightsabers and their users are a huge part of the universe to me, and it's sad that their power isn't represented properly sometimes. These are the most powerful people in the galaxy after all, they should be better.
TimmerB123
Posted: Thursday, November 16, 2017 11:39:13 PM

*cough* Ven Zallow *cough*
HoneHeron
Posted: Friday, November 17, 2017 1:06:13 AM

TimmerB123 wrote:
*cough* Ven Zallow *cough*

Oh whoa. I didn't even notice this guy in the set. I definitely notice him now ThumpUp
jen'ari
Posted: Friday, November 17, 2017 3:25:00 AM

Zallow is cool and he will be better with some more just like him.
That's why I say OR is close.
Zallow, Satele, Vima, and... A new Nomi! That actually rocks and it is ready
CorellianComedian
Posted: Friday, November 17, 2017 8:02:31 AM

I'd be okay with seeing more Jedi like Ven Zallow.

I would like to gently point out, though, that sometimes a bold new design will look really weird:

(Qui-Gon Jinn, Follower of the Living Force)

This piece certainly pushes the limits - at this point, I think he comes in close second for unassisted Force point accumulation. This piece had a nice bit of controversy when it came out... and I still have yet to see him do anything. I don't mean to antagonize anyone who disagrees with his design, and I am not by any means making a statement of "this is a good piece" or "this is a bad piece," I just want to point out that sometimes a bold new design will look crazy at first glance, and we need to be sure we give designers room to make those epic Jedi/Sith, and trust the designers/playtesters that they're making more Ven Zallows and not Critdus.
jen'ari
Posted: Friday, November 17, 2017 8:18:41 AM

CorellianComedian wrote:
I'd be okay with seeing more Jedi like Ven Zallow.

I would like to gently point out, though, that sometimes a bold new design will look really weird:

(Qui-Gon Jinn, Follower of the Living Force)

This piece certainly pushes the limits - at this point, I think he comes in close second for unassisted Force point accumulation. This piece had a nice bit of controversy when it came out... and I still have yet to see him do anything. I don't mean to antagonize anyone who disagrees with his design, and I am not by any means making a statement of "this is a good piece" or "this is a bad piece," I just want to point out that sometimes a bold new design will look crazy at first glance, and we need to be sure we give designers room to make those epic Jedi/Sith, and trust the designers/playtesters that they're making more Ven Zallows and not Critdus.

I agree 100% that designers should feel confident and the community should support them. However, sometimes designers do silly things that need to be addressed. And once addressed they should go back to being confident. (imo)
One time in a soccer game a ball was passed to me. It was a conference game against our rival, we were both ranked.
So the ball is coming to me from the left defender, easy pass, I have space and time, I look up for my option on the right side, seeing if a wing-back made a run. As I look up the ball goes right under my foot.. I scramble and run after it and at this point their attacking mid was challenging for the ball, so I try to just clear it in my scramble. I kick it into his shins and the ball goes right in front of him and they score... They drop their players and sit for the rest of the game and win 1-0...

My coach let me have it. I mean, it was a total screw up 100% my fault. But guess what, the next game, it didn't happen and I played one of my best games. I was a lot more focused after the screw up.

My point here is that designers are in charge and should be confident in their abilities. BUT, confidence only comes from ability and real desire to do the right thing.

I was, 100%, the controversy on Qui-Gon. 90% of my argument was that he was just not a correct design. The stats did not reflect Qui-Gon. I was right (of course). It was hardly anything about him being overpowered.

Same thing with Yaddle, Yaddle is great for the game imo, it is just not Yaddle at all.
The pieces being designed should reflect who they are in the game and designers are in charge of that. The only way they can have confidence in that is doing a ton of research and not going outside those boundaries.
This is a great thing because it should auto make power rankings match.

I guess what I am saying is that if a piece screams this is not who it says it is, or even worse, this piece is too powerful for who this person is in the actual star wars realm, than that piece has already failed, regardless of functionality.

So when Zallow came out. I think everyone saw how great he was, flavor fits pretty nicely and the piece is just balanced fun. could it have costed 42? sure, but it is right where it needs to be.
CorellianComedian
Posted: Friday, November 17, 2017 10:23:31 AM

So, now the question is: How do we properly scale up the power of Force users? I agree that Qui-Gon piece is beast, but the guy did pretty well against Maul for quite a while, and Maul usually gets great pieces.

Picking at straws here, who is more powerful? Ven Zallow or Darth Vader? Zallow will get creamed by about half of the Vaders out there, and will totally demolish the other half. Should Qui-Gon be on par with Grand Master Yoda? No. But is the Grand Master Yoda piece competitive...? I don't really think so. (I don't mean to resurrect the Qui-Gon debate here - I just use this as an example to bring up the question of which pieces exactly define the proper power level. If Darth Vader, Dark Jedi is the standard for where Jedi/Sith should stand, then most Jedi in the game are WAY overpowered.)

My point being - this game is already very subjective. That certainly does not give us free reign to make whatever we feel like. Yet, most of the notable characters have a wide range of power-level representation, depending on era of the game and what you need out of the piece. Qui-Gon, Follower of the Living Force is inaccurate flavor-wise when compared with Grand Master Yoda. BUT, I think it's a perfectly legitimate comparison to say that Follower of the Living Force is scaled to 100-point Yoda or EPIC Yoda.

Also, sometimes new mechanics just need a test drive. Maybe Serenity will show up on a great Yoda or Nomi or someone like that in the future.

So, I certainly don't mean to say "Give Ahsoka Force Renewal 4, she's a Jedi, it'll be good for the game." But, if designers have any room at all to bend character rules for the sake of the game, I'd say it should be with Jedi.

I guess in the end, we just have different opinions on this one: I'd prefer a Jedi be overdone so it will be useful, you'd prefer that we choose Jedi deserving of high power levels to correct the game.
jen'ari
Posted: Friday, November 17, 2017 12:10:12 PM

CorellianComedian wrote:
So, now the question is: How do we properly scale up the power of Force users? I agree that Qui-Gon piece is beast, but the guy did pretty well against Maul for quite a while, and Maul usually gets great pieces.

Picking at straws here, who is more powerful? Ven Zallow or Darth Vader? Zallow will get creamed by about half of the Vaders out there, and will totally demolish the other half. Should Qui-Gon be on par with Grand Master Yoda? No. But is the Grand Master Yoda piece competitive...? I don't really think so. (I don't mean to resurrect the Qui-Gon debate here - I just use this as an example to bring up the question of which pieces exactly define the proper power level. If Darth Vader, Dark Jedi is the standard for where Jedi/Sith should stand, then most Jedi in the game are WAY overpowered.)

My point being - this game is already very subjective. That certainly does not give us free reign to make whatever we feel like. Yet, most of the notable characters have a wide range of power-level representation, depending on era of the game and what you need out of the piece. Qui-Gon, Follower of the Living Force is inaccurate flavor-wise when compared with Grand Master Yoda. BUT, I think it's a perfectly legitimate comparison to say that Follower of the Living Force is scaled to 100-point Yoda or EPIC Yoda.

Also, sometimes new mechanics just need a test drive. Maybe Serenity will show up on a great Yoda or Nomi or someone like that in the future.

So, I certainly don't mean to say "Give Ahsoka Force Renewal 4, she's a Jedi, it'll be good for the game." But, if designers have any room at all to bend character rules for the sake of the game, I'd say it should be with Jedi.

I guess in the end, we just have different opinions on this one: I'd prefer a Jedi be overdone so it will be useful, you'd prefer that we choose Jedi deserving of high power levels to correct the game.

Great points.
The problem is that in today's game power ranking is non-existant. So I cannot answer your question.

Could Qui-Gon have triple twin, yes.
But can he have triple twin when Yoda has Double? No
But we have Yoda's with Double, we have Yoda's with Triple Twin that cost 100...

You see what I am saying.
The game has to identify power rankings.
Something it has NEVER tried to do in a very long time.

So Ven Zallow vs. Vader. Vader should have the edge.

So when we look at the game from an outside perspective the best characters should be competitive.
I think there was a thread at one point that discussed "staple" pieces from each faction.

Mara Jade, Jedi as a Staple for Jedi.
These can also be gatekeepers, any more powerful and it is too much for that cost.
This is something that we should discuss and see.
Why is Quinlan Vos sooooo good?
Why is Serra Keto soooo good?

those questions do not really have easy answers in today's game.
I will post more when I get home. but I think the conversation is a healthy one.