RegisterDonateLogin

Is a one-man wrecking crew.

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Members

Official Balance Committee Changes - 2018 Options
CorellianComedian
Posted: Friday, February 2, 2018 11:10:48 AM
Groups: Member

Can we keep this focused on discussing Errata, not people?

Huge fan of most of the changes. I was surprised there was no change to 3PO, but wasn't really invested in the outcome one way or another.
I like the Talon/squadbuilding ruling. Glad that finally got sorted out.

Jangalore I kind of question... I thought the point of the piece was that he was very anti-swarm? If swarms had trouble with him, he was doing his job right. If Jedi have trouble with him, that is another thing... but -2 Defense isn't gonna help much, unless that's right at some threshold where a lot of Jedi are more likely to land hits now. BUT, -2 Defense won't affect him much anyways, so it doesn't really matter, I'll still play him and enjoy it.

The Father - Was every Commander booted out of the options pool simply because of Cin Drallig? Cin + Vader of Lothal is the only combo I can think of that would have that problem, and it's a problem with Vader of Lothal, not Cin. BUT, I'd much rather we nerf the Father and leave design options open than have future beatsticks under-powered because they work with the Father too well, so probably better in the long run.

Reserves... um. Wow. Looks like there will be more forthcoming details, which I look forward to reading. Reserves is kind of a useless gimmick unless you really work at it. Like Forn Dodonna? Once every tournament I'll get an extra OR Trooper? Like GG said, it's not gonna be used any more at all. The only use for it left is San Hill protecting against MTB... neither of which I've seen in squads built for several months.
Echo24
Posted: Friday, February 2, 2018 11:17:18 AM

General_Grievous wrote:
Echo24 wrote:
FlyingArrow wrote:
Ban Pong Krell. Ban Unkar. Done.

+1, easy solution.

Then why wasn't this done?

Just for clarification, neither FlyingArrow nor I are on the Balance Committee, although we have both been designers (together on set 15 in fact). I know you probably weren't actually directing that question to me/us specifically, but just wanted to call it out in case that wasn't clear. BlooMilk
jen'ari
Posted: Friday, February 2, 2018 11:24:55 AM

CorellianComedian wrote:
Can we keep this focused on discussing Errata, not people?

No.

People are in charge of this terrible lack of judgement and listening to the community. It is a huge overreach of power. Shmi is right that we should know who is responsible because it is clear to literally everyone that it should be changed. Those people in power that are fighting against the mass majority of the community should no longer have the right to be in leadership positions.

^but this is the last thing i will say. unless asked a direct question. I said i would not fight these fights and would just make my opinion known, it is easy to get started up again..
General_Grievous
Posted: Friday, February 2, 2018 12:47:23 PM

Echo24 wrote:

Edit: I’m also very surprised that Unkar didn’t even warrant a line of discussion. This community is tiny now, there’s no reason that these kinds of concerns from one of the biggest and most active playgroups still around is just not addressed. The fact that Reserves actually got further nerfed on top of that is baffling.

GG, please just ban Unkar in your group and continue to contribute and be involved here.

Also, Krennic probably should have just been banned too. Nothing should get 4 erratas at the same time.

Thanks Echo and I won't stop posting on here because of a couple sour grapes trying the break the game. But I just didn't want to have to start creating a rift in rules between our area and my States brothers over something so ridiculous, unwarranted and like you said in this case outright baffling. Not only is Unkar not brought up (despite being one of the most requested things to be brought up) but Reserves gets further nerfed??? And for why again? Because of Pong?

We don't destroy an entire play archetype based off one bad piece. Correct the unbalanced piece, AKA Pong, if that's really apparently the issue, don't wipe out something a couple designers don't like because it's their personal NPE. That's doing a disservice to the community you are a part of and supposed to represent. Use powers for good, not evil brothers. And bring in balance to a game is not just using your power to eliminate something you don't like.

Anyways like I said irregardless the Canadians are banning the brokenness that is Unkar, and if we have to start making up our own rules, well that's unfortunate but we will. Because the people I put my trust in to bring balance aren't doing it, they're literally pushing an agenda through based on their personal dislikes and not actual proven gameplay powerhouse NPEs. Outside of Pong: Reserves doesn't dominate, it doesn't win tournaments, it doesn't even do that great on the best of days but it's a core part of our game from WOTC days, an incredibly fun squad to play (and yes I enjoy playing against it too) and something I'm not going to let just die. If we have to separate we will but I was just trying to keep our family together in spirit, game and rules.
General_Grievous
Posted: Friday, February 2, 2018 12:50:20 PM

Echo24 wrote:
General_Grievous wrote:
Echo24 wrote:
FlyingArrow wrote:
Ban Pong Krell. Ban Unkar. Done.

+1, easy solution.

Then why wasn't this done?

Just for clarification, neither FlyingArrow nor I are on the Balance Committee, although we have both been designers (together on set 15 in fact). I know you probably weren't actually directing that question to me/us specifically, but just wanted to call it out in case that wasn't clear. BlooMilk

And echo I definitely wasn't calling you guys out or laying the blame on you or Flying. You guys are both incredible people who have put a ton of effort in. And so are the people I'm talking about, they work hard too but everyone makes mistakes. The difference is owing up to a mistake, listening to the community and putting the people's desires ahead of ones own.

But let's keep it focused on discussing the issues and not targeting people specifically, people know who they are and what they have and haven't done. Everybody love everybody and respect for everyone, even if you aren't being respected.
urbanjedi
Posted: Friday, February 2, 2018 1:23:44 PM

Discussing the floor rule change to Reserves.

General_Grievous wrote:
And for why again? Because of Pong?

We don't destroy an entire play archetype based off one bad piece.

I will say that I think the squad I played, brought light to something that had been around for awhile but no one had really tried to exploit (or if they had,it hadn't done well and stayed very under the radar). The use of stacking a multiple characters who hit on the same number hoping to bring in an extreme amount of characters on a single init.

fingersandteeth wrote:

Saying that, 60 points of reserves on any roll just shouldn't happen, it's a massively unbalancing event in a game where a 20 point drop of characters can seal games.

The simplest solution is to floor rule that reserves don't stack on a roll. You have to pick one, still massive but not totally stupid.

What I played and won with, showed that adding tons of guys each round isn't really balanced. With most games being rd 1 positioning and rd 2 being mostly positioning and some action, and rd 3 starting the real action of the game, that allows a reserve squad 3 inits worth of characters to be added. adding 40 or 60 or more pts of characters each round can be crushing. For instance, you could easily start "the combat rounds" with 380 pts to your opponents basic 200.

I played this squad and after playing it I am 100% behind changing the floor rules.

Echo24
Posted: Friday, February 2, 2018 1:37:29 PM

But there already now exists a Lobot reinforcement piece that lets you say that number at the start of the round and remove that possibility 95% of the time.

I don't think the ire is just with that floor rules change; it's that Unkar was made, people got upset about Reserves becoming essentially unplayable, and then further nerfing was done to Reserves on top of that. If the update had that floor rules change and also banned Unkar, I doubt there would be problems (although I still think just banning Unkar and Pong Krell and not making the floor rules change is a better solution all around).
urbanjedi
Posted: Friday, February 2, 2018 1:44:14 PM

Echo24 wrote:
But there already now exists a Lobot reinforcement piece that lets you say that number at the start of the round and remove that possibility 95% of the time.

I don't think the ire is just with that floor rules change; it's that Unkar was made, people got upset about Reserves becoming essentially unplayable, and then further nerfing was done to Reserves on top of that. If the update had that floor rules change and also banned Unkar, I doubt there would be problems (although I still think just banning Unkar and Pong Krell and not making the floor rules change is a better solution all around).

I disagree that reserves are unplayable. It just requires different squad building and different tactics.

General_Grievous
Posted: Friday, February 2, 2018 1:50:52 PM

Echo24 wrote:

+1

This is my exact point.

The only issue ever was Pong + MTB because he made the math happen. That, if anything should have been the focus instead of a general super nerf lobot reinforcements piece. And then when we calmly brought it up and trusted in the balance committee we got nothing about Unkar and instead further nerfing. To something that was a non-issue.

It comes down to what Echo said, taken seprately from Unkar, or if this change came with Unkar being banned/Wager deleted than it would have been still unwarranted but at least more reasonable because we would feel like we're being heard. Instead we bring up an issue and get a further nerf??

Secondly urban you may not like that you can get a ton of guys on a die roll but it's not about what we like or don't like being how we change the game for everyone else. Or else I would have long since changed many many pieces and outright removed strafe from the game. Further it's like my analogy in regards to disintegration, it's a rare effect and random, definitely not worth it competively and that's why they have never done well in the entire history of the game until Krell. So why are we not making this about Krell? Baby and the bath water analogy?
And also having played reserves many times in many tournaments I can tell you th me best I have ever placed is second with a Pong squad. Normally I don't even make it in the final cut when I played them, but I had a fun time. As have others that have tried the random luck-based squad.
General_Grievous
Posted: Friday, February 2, 2018 1:56:52 PM

Urban please build me a reserves squad that is remotely playable. A single roll a turn with no modifications and Unkar wipes out two of your numbers. Every single team is crippled.
FlyingArrow
Posted: Friday, February 2, 2018 3:23:00 PM
Groups: Member , Moderator

urbanjedi wrote:
I disagree that reserves are unplayable. It just requires different squad building and different tactics.

After some thought...

For years we thought an MTB supposedly killed Reserves, but it turns out that your own MTB can counter the opposing MTB, as Jason demonstrated. In the same way, your own Unkar can counter the opposing Unkar. They cancel each other out and your roll init with no modifications on either side. 20% chance at Reserves with Pong Krell with no way to increase those odds. You've "lost" 18 points of your squad to Unkar but not really because your opponent wasted those same 18 points on his Unkar. Unkar also shuts down the opposing MTB so you get a straight 20% chance of Reserves. Probably is not enough to win, but it puts it back to where Reserves were designed to be.

--Ode to General Grievous (2017 NW OH Regional Winner)--
61 Pong Krell
55 Kazdan Paratus
33 Captain Rex
15 Lobot, Computer Liaison Officer
9 R2-D2, Astromech Droid
8 Muun Tactics Broker
9 Mouse Droid x3
9 Ugnaught Demolitionist x3

(199pts. 12 activations)
http://www.bloomilk.com/Squad/176577/ode-to-general-grievous--2017-nw-oh-regional-winner-

With no errata, the squad above has a 60% chance of bringing in 60 points of characters each round. And another 15% chance of bringing in 30 points of characters instead. Instead of a Reserves squad needing to be "lucky" to win, this squad needs to be very unlucky to lose.

How do you fit Unkar in there? Drop Pong or Kazdan. No need for both anyway due to the floor rules change. Then bring in some other support. Maybe an Elite Clone already in the squad. You have to build a more balanced squad, but that's not a bad thing. Maybe later tonight I'll try to tune up a complete squad that would do the trick.
shmi15
Posted: Friday, February 2, 2018 3:55:59 PM

FlyingArrow wrote:
urbanjedi wrote:

After some thought...

For years we thought an MTB supposedly killed Reserves, but it turns out that your own MTB can counter the opposing MTB, as Jason demonstrated. In the same way, your own Unkar can counter the opposing Unkar. They cancel each other out and your roll init with no modifications on either side. 20% chance at Reserves with Pong Krell with no way to increase those odds. You've "lost" 18 points of your squad to Unkar but not really because your opponent wasted those same 18 points on his Unkar. Unkar also shuts down the opposing MTB so you get a straight 20% chance of Reserves. Probably is not enough to win, but it puts it back to where Reserves were designed to be.

--Ode to General Grievous (2017 NW OH Regional Winner)--
61 Pong Krell
55 Kazdan Paratus
33 Captain Rex
15 Lobot, Computer Liaison Officer
9 R2-D2, Astromech Droid
8 Muun Tactics Broker
9 Mouse Droid x3
9 Ugnaught Demolitionist x3

(199pts. 12 activations)
http://www.bloomilk.com/Squad/176577/ode-to-general-grievous--2017-nw-oh-regional-winner-

With no errata, the squad above has a 60% chance of bringing in 60 points of characters each round. And another 15% chance of bringing in 30 points of characters instead. Instead of a Reserves squad needing to be "lucky" to win, this squad needs to be very unlucky to lose.

How do you fit Unkar in there? Drop Pong or Kazdan. No need for both anyway due to the floor rules change. Then bring in some other support. Maybe an Elite Clone already in the squad. You have to build a more balanced squad, but that's not a bad thing. Maybe later tonight I'll try to tune up a complete squad that would do the trick.

All I did was highlight the issue with the squad you posted. It was pretty easy actually, in case you were wondering.
Darth_Frenchy
Posted: Friday, February 2, 2018 4:10:17 PM

shmi15 wrote:
You just happen to be the only person who had an NPE against it. Not sure why, so far, one person had a bad experience. I know TimB had one also, and I think it was in your same tournament. And wasn't that taken care of by UNkar Plutt? And now, a in game counter, and a floor rules counter was made because people didn't have fun at 1 tournament? I bet more people hate playing Vong, than playing Reserves. How about that for a poll!

Yep, you caught us.... Me and Timbo conspiring to destroy the star wars game for anyone, but ourselves. We would have got away with it too, if it weren't for those medeling Tennessee kids...
Echo24
Posted: Friday, February 2, 2018 4:21:49 PM

I’m not sure if it’s been pointed out, but I think it’s important to note in any conversation about his design and intent that Unkar wasn’t made to counter that squad. That event happened in July 2017, and the notable thing about it is nobody had seen it before. Unkar’s very first draft was submitted in October 2016 and marked done April 2017. This floor rule change seems like more of a direct counter tonthag squad.
shmi15
Posted: Friday, February 2, 2018 5:09:58 PM

Darth_Frenchy wrote:
shmi15 wrote:
You just happen to be the only person who had an NPE against it. Not sure why, so far, one person had a bad experience. I know TimB had one also, and I think it was in your same tournament. And wasn't that taken care of by UNkar Plutt? And now, a in game counter, and a floor rules counter was made because people didn't have fun at 1 tournament? I bet more people hate playing Vong, than playing Reserves. How about that for a poll!

Yep, you caught us.... Me and Timbo conspiring to destroy the star wars game for anyone, but ourselves. We would have got away with it too, if it weren't for those medeling Tennessee kids...

Are you being sarcastic because its true? Because the Real North is not happy either, and no one seems to care about it? Except it gives them a chance to joke and act like its no big deal. Which, ironically is hilarious in itself. I have a Poll going in another thread, so far, seems like the public would rather play Reserves than play the entire Vong faction. So maybe you guys can laugh a little at yourself and maybe address it?
General_Grievous
Posted: Friday, February 2, 2018 5:39:10 PM

Flying man that squad you posted was the absolute strongest possible reserves squad. Not the standard or the norm for all of the other options. And like Shmi pointed out that is because of Pong.

The new rules and Unkar make the update basing your entire team around a single 20% to maybe bring in 30 points. And not wanting to be harsh but that is the worst thing I have ever heard for squad design in regards to reserves. That is not a reserves team, that is maybe a single Reserves an entire game and you aren't going to be taking gambit with a bunch of useless characters. Spending the entire game trying to get in 1/5 chance of bringing in three Clone troopers or a jedi hunter droid is < tier nothing.

Reserves are unplayable and completely uncompetitive in this current environment.

Also please less personal calling out and more acknowledgement and understanding of our points.

CorranHornsux123
Posted: Friday, February 2, 2018 5:46:59 PM

This whole discussion reminded me of why i stopped trying to go to tournaments, (and the "pro" players were a little disrespectful), The "Leaders" didn't listen to the community back then and apparently nothing has changed in three years either that's good to know.
Deaths_Baine
Posted: Friday, February 2, 2018 5:49:29 PM

Acknowledging your points would make them feel responsible for the state of that game and give realism to the points the tn players have been making for years, and unfortunately they will simply not do that. They have proven incapable of having real conversations the moment you make a valid point they turn to sarcasm and mockery because that's all they know. Facts have no place when talking with them. Months of conversations fell on deaf ears like we always warn will happen and time and time again they have proven this point... They simply do not care about what the remainder of the players want. If these changes don't prove that the elite have been doing this for awhile nothing ever will. I keep saying they need to vote on this committee and have real representation. This is starting to feel like 1776.
General_Grievous
Posted: Friday, February 2, 2018 5:51:55 PM

Side A:

Reserves are an NPE to me
Unkar is fine but wasn't enough and that's why the rules change
Pong is insane

Side B:

Many things are an NPE for different people, and that's not reason enough to nerf something into oblivion
Reserves
Pong is a bit much and could be toned down
Unkar is a brutal game breaking hard counter to an entire play style
The fact that people brought this up to the balance committee and the BC actually ignored Unkar and went even further is at best baffling and at worst outright disrespectful
Reserves outside of Pong are barely tier 2 and as such did not deserve to be removed from the game based on a couple designers personal thoughts

We can agree on Pong, so why can't we reverse this madness, ban unkar, ban Pong and boom we are back to wotc days and all is well,
shmi15
Posted: Friday, February 2, 2018 6:01:40 PM

General_Grievous wrote:
Side A:

Reserves are an NPE to me
Unkar is fine but wasn't enough and that's why the rules change
Pong is insane

Side B:

Many things are an NPE for different people, and that's not reason enough to nerf something into oblivion
Reserves
Pong is a bit much and could be toned down
Unkar is a brutal game breaking hard counter to an entire play style
The fact that people brought this up to the balance committee and the BC actually ignored Unkar and went even further is at best baffling and at worst outright disrespectful
Reserves outside of Pong are barely tier 2 and as such did not deserve to be removed from the game based on a couple designers personal thoughts

We can agree on Pong, so why can't we reverse this madness, ban unkar, ban Pong and boom we are back to wotc days and all is well,

Because what we want doesn't matter. Unless your a designer, or on the BC, your thoughts and wants are pointless. This has been proven countless times, back when TN was the only people complaining... But slowly, they are pushing more and more people away from the game, by making the game fit THEIR play style. Facts don't lie, and neither does silence.