RegisterDonateLogin

Does NOT have a Holiday Special.

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Members

Official Balance Committee Changes - 2018 Options
FlyingArrow
Posted: Friday, February 2, 2018 6:24:52 PM
Groups: Member , Moderator

General_Grievous wrote:
Flying man that squad you posted was the absolute strongest possible reserves squad. Not the standard or the norm for all of the other options. And like Shmi pointed out that is because of Pong.

The new rules and Unkar make the update basing your entire team around a single 20% to maybe bring in 30 points. And not wanting to be harsh but that is the worst thing I have ever heard for squad design in regards to reserves. That is not a reserves team, that is maybe a single Reserves an entire game and you aren't going to be taking gambit with a bunch of useless characters. Spending the entire game trying to get in 1/5 chance of bringing in three Clone troopers or a jedi hunter droid is < tier nothing.

Reserves are unplayable and completely uncompetitive in this current environment.

Also please less personal calling out and more acknowledgement and understanding of our points.

This is what I came up with...

--What's Left of a Reserves Squad--
61 Pong Krell
33 Captain Rex
25 Elite Republic Commando - Scorch
25 Elite Republic Commando - Sev
18 Unkar Plutt
15 Lobot, Computer Liaison Officer
9 R2-D2, Astromech Droid
8 Mas Amedda
5 Spaarti Clone Trooper Demolitionist

(199pts. 9 activations)
http://www.bloomilk.com/Squad/184714/whats-left-of-a-reserves-squad

If you don't face a Reserves counter, it's really strong. 76% chance of Reserves once Recon kicks in. Only 30pts of Reserves at a time, but two of the top Reserves choices (the 2 ERCs) are already in the base squad. If you do face a Reserves counter, Unkar vs Unkar makes it a 25% chance of Reserves. If you face an MTB, you're down to 15% chance.

You could build a squad going a couple other directions instead... drop CLobot and use regular Lobot, and then add a Rodian BSV for Fringe Reserves 20 and a clone that has Recon. You'd lose an ERC or 2 to make room for that, though. Lobot would let you choose to add either an MTB or Unkar (or something else if neither is needed). Going that route gives you 76% if face either no init counters or an MTB. Unkar vs Unkar puts you at 25%. So that route would keep you away from the low 15% Reserves, but you'd have a weaker base squad that way and only 20pts Reserves on the Fringe Reserves. I think I like what's above better.

I don't think that's Tier 1, but I do think it is something you could take to a tournament and go .500 with because not every squad has Lobot or any init counters. This squad could do well against those squads... I think it's "Tier 1" if there's no counter. Then it has tough match-ups if there's Unkar or an MTB (and NTMtO also slows it down). Those are tough match-ups, but not quite auto-losses. With lucky Reserves rolls there's still a chance. You always need lucky rolls with Reserves.
urbanjedi
Posted: Friday, February 2, 2018 7:04:54 PM
Groups: Member

FlyingArrow wrote:
General_Grievous wrote:
Flying man that squad you posted was the absolute strongest possible reserves squad. Not the standard or the norm for all of the other options. And like Shmi pointed out that is because of Pong.

The new rules and Unkar make the update basing your entire team around a single 20% to maybe bring in 30 points. And not wanting to be harsh but that is the worst thing I have ever heard for squad design in regards to reserves. That is not a reserves team, that is maybe a single Reserves an entire game and you aren't going to be taking gambit with a bunch of useless characters. Spending the entire game trying to get in 1/5 chance of bringing in three Clone troopers or a jedi hunter droid is < tier nothing.

Reserves are unplayable and completely uncompetitive in this current environment.

Also please less personal calling out and more acknowledgement and understanding of our points.

61 Pong Krell
33 Captain Rex
18 Unkar Plutt
9 R2-D2, Astromech Droid
8 Mas Amedda

(199pts. 9 activations)

If you don't face a Reserves counter, it's really strong. 76% chance of Reserves once Recon kicks in. Only 30pts of Reserves at a time, but two of the top Reserves choices (the 2 ERCs) are already in the base squad. If you do face a Reserves counter, Unkar vs Unkar makes it a 25% chance of Reserves. If you face an MTB, you're down to 15% chance.

You could build a squad going a couple other directions instead... drop CLobot and use regular Lobot, and then add a Rodian BSV for Fringe Reserves 20 and a clone that has Recon. You'd lose an ERC or 2 to make room for that, though. Lobot would let you choose to add either an MTB or Unkar (or something else if neither is needed). Going that route gives you 76% if face either no init counters or an MTB. Unkar vs Unkar puts you at 25%. So that route would keep you away from the low 15% Reserves, but you'd have a weaker base squad that way and only 20pts Reserves on the Fringe Reserves. I think I like what's above better.

I don't think that's Tier 1, but I do think it is something you could take to a tournament and go .500 with because not every squad has Lobot or any init counters. This squad could do well against those squads... I think it's "Tier 1" if there's no counter. Then it has tough match-ups if there's Unkar or an MTB (and NTMtO also slows it down). Those are tough match-ups, but not quite auto-losses. With lucky Reserves rolls there's still a chance. You always need lucky rolls with Reserves.

I believe that Unkarr counters the MTB, so facing an MTB would have no effect.
shmi15
Posted: Friday, February 2, 2018 7:06:27 PM

FlyingArrow wrote:
General_Grievous wrote:

61 Pong Krell
33 Captain Rex
18 Unkar Plutt
9 R2-D2, Astromech Droid
8 Mas Amedda

(199pts. 9 activations)

Pong Krell is an issue, everyone agrees. He is the ONLY issue with reserves, and that was a design mishap, nothing else. Is there a reason your just ignoring our points altogether?

FlyingArrow
Posted: Friday, February 2, 2018 7:13:02 PM

shmi15 wrote:
Pong Krell is an issue, everyone agrees. He is the ONLY issue with reserves, and that was a design mishap, nothing else. Is there a reason your just ignoring our points altogether?

The first thing I said in this thread was to ban Pong Krell and ban Unkar.

I was just going through the exercise of seeing what the best Reserves squad is after the floor rule change.
FlyingArrow
Posted: Friday, February 2, 2018 7:15:01 PM

urbanjedi wrote:
I believe that Unkarr counters the MTB, so facing an MTB would have no effect.

Unkarr counters the MTB, but at a cost of subtracting 9 from your own initiative roll. That means it's impossible to get Reserves on a 15 or 20 so you only have 3 chances remaining for Reserves (20-9 = 11, 19-9 = 10, 14-9 = 5). And your own Unkar also prevents from using your own Recon, Anticipation, or Sense the Future.
swinefeld
Posted: Friday, February 2, 2018 7:15:03 PM

And, yeah...

Echo24 wrote:
FlyingArrow wrote:
Ban Pong Krell. Ban Unkar. Done.

+1, easy solution.

After reading this thread all day, +2. Simplest solution.

Dislike errata, but maybe:

- Unkar loses Wager (seems well worth his points via Lobot when applicale for Junk Boss, and/or reducing act disadvantage)

- Replace *both* of Pong's Force powers with LS Defense to make him more of a beat stick threat, and much less of an absurd reserves factory, by needing the extra support most others require.

Just riffing.

I don't have a problem with the *floor rule* (ie mostly about regionals and GenCon) that reserves don't stack.
urbanjedi
Posted: Friday, February 2, 2018 7:26:42 PM

shmi15 wrote:
FlyingArrow wrote:
urbanjedi wrote:
I disagree that reserves are unplayable. It just requires different squad building and different tactics.

After some thought...

For years we thought an MTB supposedly killed Reserves, but it turns out that your own MTB can counter the opposing MTB, as Jason demonstrated. In the same way, your own Unkar can counter the opposing Unkar. They cancel each other out and your roll init with no modifications on either side. 20% chance at Reserves with Pong Krell with no way to increase those odds. You've "lost" 18 points of your squad to Unkar but not really because your opponent wasted those same 18 points on his Unkar. Unkar also shuts down the opposing MTB so you get a straight 20% chance of Reserves. Probably is not enough to win, but it puts it back to where Reserves were designed to be.

--Ode to General Grievous (2017 NW OH Regional Winner)--
61 Pong Krell
55 Kazdan Paratus
33 Captain Rex
9 R2-D2, Astromech Droid
8 Muun Tactics Broker
9 Mouse Droid x3
9 Ugnaught Demolitionist x3

(199pts. 12 activations)
http://www.bloomilk.com/Squad/176577/ode-to-general-grievous--2017-nw-oh-regional-winner-

With no errata, the squad above has a 60% chance of bringing in 60 points of characters each round. And another 15% chance of bringing in 30 points of characters instead. Instead of a Reserves squad needing to be "lucky" to win, this squad needs to be very unlucky to lose.

How do you fit Unkar in there? Drop Pong or Kazdan. No need for both anyway due to the floor rules change. Then bring in some other support. Maybe an Elite Clone already in the squad. You have to build a more balanced squad, but that's not a bad thing. Maybe later tonight I'll try to tune up a complete squad that would do the trick.

All I did was highlight the issue with the squad you posted. It was pretty easy actually, in case you were wondering.

The issue isn't Pong. The issue is being able to bring in 60 pts of reserves (ie multiple "doses") at a time. Same would be true if it were a yoda, kazdan squad, or Dooku/Wat or any squad that doubles up on multiple reserve numbers.

No one really played these types of squads (or if they did, they didn't publicize it), thus it stayed under the radar. It wasn't an issue during WOTC days, because there weren't multiple characters who granted reserves on the same multiple numbers. Kaz and Wat were the only two if I recall correctly and you couldn't play them together.
urbanjedi
Posted: Friday, February 2, 2018 7:32:06 PM

General_Grievous wrote:
Urban please build me a reserves squad that is remotely playable. A single roll a turn with no modifications and Unkar wipes out two of your numbers. Every single team is crippled.

Here are a couple. Seps are actually more likely to get reserves than my squad (6 numbers)

--reserves--
43 Wat Tambor, Techno Union Foreman
34 Alto Stratus
15 BX Commando Droid Spotter
14 BX Commando Droid Sniper
12 Gha Nachkt
10 San Hill
8 Battle Droid Officer

(151pts. 8 activations)

You can finish it out in multiple ways, but the base is pretty solid.

Or you could move into the realm of say Rebels

--reb reserves--
55 Kazdan Paratus
48 Han Solo, Captain of the Millennium Falcon
30 Chewbacca, Rebel Hero
21 Lando Calrissian, Infiltrator
12 See-Threepio (C-3PO)
9 General Dodonna
9 R2-D2 with Extended Sensor

(199pts. 8 activations)

There are also other ways you could go with on this squad as well.

These are first drafts and far from optimized, but where I would start if I wanted to do a reserves squad again.

Also, both are Unkarr and MTB proof.
FlyingArrow
Posted: Friday, February 2, 2018 7:33:15 PM

Kaz, Mon Mothma, and Palpatine can triple up on a 20, even in WotC days.
gandalfthegreatestwizard
Posted: Friday, February 2, 2018 7:42:52 PM

swinefeld wrote:

- Unkar loses Wager (seems well worth his points via Lobot when applicale for Junk Boss, and/or reducing act disadvantage)

He doesn't reduce act disadvantage when brought in via Lobot, as his Local Reserves stipulates "Not usable if this character is a Reinforcement". Even if he did, it would be more efficient to add 6 Mouse Droids/ Uggies/ etc than add Unkar and 4 of them (though he does add some additional value with It's a Trap).
urbanjedi
Posted: Friday, February 2, 2018 7:46:47 PM

FlyingArrow wrote:
Kaz, Mon Mothma, and Palpatine can triple up on a 20, even in WotC days.

but not on multiple numbers. The issue is being able to "get extra doses" of reserves on multiple different numbers.
FlyingArrow
Posted: Friday, February 2, 2018 7:47:38 PM

urbanjedi wrote:
These are first drafts and far from optimized, but where I would start if I wanted to do a reserves squad again.

Never tell Jason the odds. His squads are way better than mine.

(And there's your challenge, gandalf. Build a reserves squad better than Jason's.)
FlyingArrow
Posted: Friday, February 2, 2018 7:53:18 PM

Does that mean Reserves squads are still alive? Are we all good here?
Darth Porg
Posted: Friday, February 2, 2018 7:56:29 PM

When do we get a Porg Krell?
FlyingArrow
Posted: Friday, February 2, 2018 7:59:49 PM

Darth Porg wrote:

He can eat 4 Porgs at once.

And whoever you are... are you new or did you go create a sockpuppet account just to make that bad pun?
General_Grievous
Posted: Friday, February 2, 2018 8:35:03 PM

swinefeld wrote:
And, yeah...

Echo24 wrote:
FlyingArrow wrote:
Ban Pong Krell. Ban Unkar. Done.

+1, easy solution.

After reading this thread all day, +2. Simplest solution.

Dislike errata, but maybe:

- Replace *both* of Pong's Force powers with LS Defense to make him more of a beat stick threat, and much less of an absurd reserves factory, by needing the extra support most others require.

Just riffing.

I don't have a problem with the *floor rule* (ie mostly about regionals and GenCon) that reserves don't stack.

But how do we make this happen without just having our views/ideas thrown in the trash because they're not the designers views? I tried peacefully bringing it up when Unkar was release, I left it to the balance committee and they almost mockingly took it a step further instead while completely ignoring our requests to revisit the actual problems.

Urban, stapling a 30+ NTMTO on a squad doesn't fix the issue either. So we give every faction cheap NTMTO and then the problem is magnified that reserve teams can't modify their rolls. Reserve teams stacking numbers has been around since the rodian black sun Vigo. It's never been an issue competively because it's not good. I've taken reserves to many of our northern tournaments and done at best average but usually terribly. It's not reliable, vulnerable to slow play, many initiative counters, deep strike and heavy offence teams and it's just plain a fun different way to play the game. Your personal opinion does not make other opinions and experiences invalid. Just as ours does not mean you can't not like it. But to break the game to remove it based on your personal thoughts is wrong, I can't make it any plainer.
gandalfthegreatestwizard
Posted: Friday, February 2, 2018 8:39:49 PM

FlyingArrow wrote:
urbanjedi wrote:

Never tell Jason the odds. His squads are way better than mine.

(And there's your challenge, gandalf. Build a reserves squad better than Jason's.)

http://www.bloomilk.com/Squad/184719/f-u-floor-rules
FlyingArrow
Posted: Friday, February 2, 2018 8:54:39 PM

Hey - what happened to your original squad? I loved it.
urbanjedi
Posted: Friday, February 2, 2018 9:45:38 PM

Just a reference point. I am not on the balance committee. In this instance, as well as all the other decisions the balance committee decides upon, I am just a voice in the crowd. I don't always agree with the balance committee.

General_Grievous wrote:

Reserve teams stacking numbers has been around since the rodian black sun Vigo. It's never been an issue competively because it's not good.

Because as a group we don't play 1000 games a week like the old days, we tend to not explore all the interactions and stuff available. This leads to problem pieces/squads/issues come up that might not be discovered until well after the fact.

A perfect example: Krayt transferring into force ghosts was an issue ever since krayt came out but it was never a known issue because no one used it (or if they did, it wasn't well publicized) until I won a regional with it in 2015. Then the BC couldn't act fast enough, and not for a power level issue, but for an interaction/NPE issue (ie the squad was a non-engagement squad)

Same is true with reserves. When Dooku separatist leader and 100pt yoda came out at the same time allowing both factions access to multiple guys who hit reserves on the same number, it went unnoticed. I even played a squad similar to the one I played in OH that same year in WI. It wasn't quite as optimized and I didn't win, so it went under the radar. It was a horrible NPE for all the players that played against me, and I shelved it even though I thought it was probably one of the best squads around (even though others dismissed it and probably hoped I never played it again) because there were other squads I wanted to play that were more fun for my opps to play against. Fast forward to OH, and I decided to update the squad and figure out how to make it better. I did that (took out regular lobot, added clobot and added the MTB) and we all know the results.

The power of reserves is that with multiple numbers (and more importantly multiple characters with multiple numbers) and the other init controlling aspects, you can get a really high probability to actually get them. In the old WOTC days of the RBSV, it was one number the squad was pretty bad. Also, there were way fewer pieces to pick from if you actually hit. If the designers had done this when set 2 came out, no one would be talking about this now. They didn't, and now a long time later the issue rears it's head, and here we are.

So in my mind, this is an issue that should have been address 13 sets ago, but wasn't addressed until now.

Unkar is a different issue entirely.
Unkar doesn't say you don't get reserves (like the MTB does), he just says your odds of getting them are less. I think reserves squads can still beat unkar squads (not every game every time), but will still win some games. And if your opp doesn't have unkar (or access to him), then he hasn't done anything.

As Daniel pointed out, Unkar was designed and completed well before I did well with reserves. His main design purpose was to give people other ways to work around master tactician/MTB to try and keep those abilities in check and be able to do so in a lower act squad. With unkar, you have a better chance against init control that isn't just bring your own MTB which in a low act squad, might not work out so well.
CorellianComedian
Posted: Friday, February 2, 2018 10:07:31 PM

shmi15 wrote:
Because the Real North is not happy either

I think you just offended all 3 of the Minnesotans on this website Blink
(I don't contest that statement though. Even we Vikings must bow to Canadian Northerliness)

FlyingArrow wrote:
Darth Porg wrote:

He can eat 4 Porgs at once.

And whoever you are... are you new or did you go create a sockpuppet account just to make that bad pun?

Please tell me the second answer is true LOL

Okay, on to serious matters: I really wouldn't mind Swine's idea of changing Pong. He was one of the most impressive combatants in the entire Clone Wars show, and it's always kinda bothered me that he doesn't really have much for fighting prowess. From the perspective of him being Reserves-focused, I totally get it, but it seemed odd. Making him more personally tanky and just rely on luck of the roll (or at least other characters) for Reserves rolls seems like a great idea if everyone would be more satisfied with it.

Another idea - which would impractical just from the sheer volume of Errata it would require - what if we go through and change all the Reserve numbers? Getting 60 points a round is tough, especially when it keeps happening. What if the numbers were spread out more? Jason's squad has Pong, Kazdan, and CLobot. On a 5, 10, 15, or 20, you get 60 points of Reserves. On an 11, you get 30. There are 5 numbers on which you get Reserves (that's 20% chance before modifiers) What if their numbers were all different? Let's drop Pong's numbers by 1. Now there are 9 numbers that give Reserves (a 45% chance without modifiers). So under no circumstances would you be able to get 60 points at a time, but you would also be more likely to get Reserves - even IF your opponent has Unkar. Your overall yield would decrease because you can manipulate the init roll to land on a favorable result, BUT you also would not have to use so many init modifiers.

So, the result is less gimmicky/more consistent (for both sides), less overwhelming, and still usable. Instead of maybe getting a truckload of guys each round, you pretty much always get, like one or two guys - which is still good, but limited by who you can bring in, and the fact that all your support goes to making Reserves work instead of boosting those Reserves.

Unfortunately, this would require massive errata to change every Reserves piece, but it would actually only involve changing Krell for the purpose of competitive Reserves. Most Reserves pieces are bad, or are otherwise already spread out (like Vader, Agent of Evil is on a 2/7/12/17 instead of 1/6/11/16 so he doesn't overlap with Ozzel).