RegisterDonateLogin

Has been known to make mistakes...from time to time...

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Members

CCC Week 94 - (Function than Theme) - Force User Options
jen'ari
Posted: Tuesday, February 27, 2018 8:39:12 AM
Groups: Member

To help us (or just me) determine what ways we like to design. In particular, do you design with function in mind first or second?
For this week, Decide what function you want your piece to accomplish and than find a piece or moment in Star Wars time that thematically fits that function and design it.

Other RULES:
Must be a force user.

An example might be: I desire better ranged defense in Separatists. (stated function you want).
then determining who could fit that idea and designing it. Maybe a piece with shien.. hmmm who has Shien? possibly Sora Bulq. well that is not really enough on its own, but what else can be added to it? Yaddle gives out Shien, but I don't want to copy... So maybe a piece that grants evade to unique force users (this also helps mobility because they can gain GMA)? what about the simple idea of A cheap Dooku with Lightsaber Trainer? or a way to make the BHC 100 point piece cost effective? but that Dooku has no ranged defense. Vader of Lothal is a fantastic ranged defense stand alone piece, can I do something like that in Separatist?

those are just some random thought progressions into how to find the function then the theme.

GRADING for this week
1. Did you state the function?
2. How well you accomplished that function
3. how thematic the piece is that you found that fits that function. (Feel free to explain yourself on why the function on the piece is thematic.)

For instance some pieces fit a needed and fun function but make no sense thematically.

Have fun and if any clarification is needed please ask.

1. You may update any existing versions you already have and/or create a new one. You may update/create several versions of the character but you must ultimately select 1 you wish to run with. (this must be done by the schedule below)

2. Place a hyperlink in this forum to make it easier to find your character. You can just post the stats or image here but if changes are needed it would be easier (and save space) if you just used a Hyperlink (If you don't know how to post Hyperlinks in a forum setting please ask and we will help you. It's not hard )

3. Voting works as follows, pick your three favorite customs based on accuracy to the character, design, balance or whatever you decide makes the best incarnation of the challenge character. First place receives 3 points, 2nd place receives 2 points, and 3rd place receives 1 point.

4. You do not have to enter the contest in order to vote. But unless you enter you must have at least 10 forum posts.

5. To make things fair you must vote in order to win the contest. Try to give feedback if possible to help designers out. You must choose three characters entered in the contest and you may not rate or vote for your own character.

6. The winner will be decided by how many points they receive. Ties will be broken by most 1st place votes, then if still tied, 2nd place votes and then 3rd place votes. If still tied, then the outcome is a tie.

7. You may not change or update the entered character AFTER the deadline.

You will have until Sat, March 3, 2018 @8pm EST to get your submissions in. Anything submitted after this point will not be included in the voting.

Voting will start at 8pm on Saturday evening and end at 11pm EST on Monday, March 5, 2018..
At the conclusion of the voting the scores will be tallied and the winner will start a new topic with their choice of theme.
shmi15
Posted: Tuesday, February 27, 2018 8:59:15 AM

Very interesting theme this week... I need to find a moment in time to capture.
surf_rider56
Posted: Tuesday, February 27, 2018 9:09:56 AM

Ok, I'm willing to be the guinea pig and toss something out to see if "we" got what you want.

Satele Shan, Master of the Order

I want a Satele that's in the middle of the war with the Sith and she's leading her fellow Jedi in the battle. I want her to be the tank that can take on Malgus, but I also want her to have a movement breaker since she's Master of the Order.

Now, I Didn't want to outright copy what Has been done by the V-Setters. Both their Satele's had several abilities/powers in common and I wanted to avoid that. My only "concern" with this character is that the CE has two parts, but I Don't mean the second part to be board-wide like the first part implies so that's open to change.

How is This in relation for what you want and if not quite, what needs tweaking?

Cheers,

surf
jen'ari
Posted: Tuesday, February 27, 2018 9:26:27 AM

I would say that you fit the function you wanted very very well. and Satele definitely "leads the charge".
Her force push 4 is also very thematic. base damage 30 might be a bit much with Bastila.

Thematically I think it fits very well as well. I would need to know how adept Satele was at Soresu before knowing if SSm fits.

But as far as leading jedi goes I think it does a great job! although i am not quite sure what "jedi follower" means in the CE, as in does the piece have to have jedi in its name or is it any force user with melee?

That first part of the CE is going to really be used for the OR senator, which is kind of cool as well since it gets people into the fray.

overall the grade I would give it would be a high grade based on stated function, I believe you achieved the function well with the CE and even Force Vision 3, and the flavor of the piece is very high, with the only real question being base 30 damage and Soresu Style mastery.

and thanks for being the guinea pig. and p.s. that picture choice is sweet as well. would love to see the sculpt.
Lord_Ball
Posted: Tuesday, February 27, 2018 9:43:51 AM

EDIT: Whoops forgot the Force user rule
surf_rider56
Posted: Tuesday, February 27, 2018 9:59:24 AM

jen'ari wrote:
I would say that you fit the function you wanted very very well. and Satele definitely "leads the charge".
Her force push 4 is also very thematic. base damage 30 might be a bit much with Bastila.

Thematically I think it fits very well as well. I would need to know how adept Satele was at Soresu before knowing if SSm fits.

But as far as leading jedi goes I think it does a great job! although i am not quite sure what "jedi follower" means in the CE, as in does the piece have to have jedi in its name or is it any force user with melee?

That first part of the CE is going to really be used for the OR senator, which is kind of cool as well since it gets people into the fray.

overall the grade I would give it would be a high grade based on stated function, I believe you achieved the function well with the CE and even Force Vision 3, and the flavor of the piece is very high, with the only real question being base 30 damage and Soresu Style mastery.

and thanks for being the guinea pig. and p.s. that picture choice is sweet as well. would love to see the sculpt.

Thanks, didn't mind being the "Pig" because somebody had to do it.

Regarding Soresu, Wook doesn't mention her having a specific Mastery, just that she "was exceptionally skilled" with the single & twin bladed lightsaber. I gave her Soresu more as frankly her only real defense and specifically avoided Duelist because she ultimately did lose her dual with Malgus before she dropped the mountain on him.

Regarding "jedi follower" there are 24 jedi "followers" in the OR faction and 34 Jedi who are subject to CE's; those are the people I've targeted.

Regarding Triple, in the OR time frame, Bastila, Kreia and Jarael (I know, not a Force user per se) had double blades and Triple, so why not; even her Epic (yes I know) had Triple.

Did I miss anything?

You got the guts to stand up to Malgus alone, you deserve to be Master of the Order and a Tank.

PS - I think I stole the pic from the online TOR game pic.
CorranHornsux123
Posted: Tuesday, February 27, 2018 10:34:24 AM

I am so sorry i missed the vote guys laptop kinda fried on me :c but i should be good to go now haha

here is my entry Dark Lord Kas'im my function was to help out the lower point sith and make them more viable and i think i accomplished that with Kas'im.

http://www.bloomilk.com/Custom/15873/dark-lord-kasim
spryguy1981
Posted: Tuesday, February 27, 2018 12:40:35 PM

http://www.bloomilk.com/Custom/30795/darth-tenebrous

The function of this character is to help the melee side of the Sith faction contend with various squad types that rely on ranged attackers that have bonuses to their attack and damage stat lines. (i.e. Daala) It's also designed to help the Sith contend with the regular squad archetypes that rely solely on ranged attackers to deal damage. The Sith have always lacked support against the swarmy ranged squads and this is intended to balance that more.
jak
Posted: Tuesday, February 27, 2018 1:57:40 PM

I don't design with function first.
I try to make the piece accurate to cannon/legend.
don't care how it works with the game.
just want a never before seen character, that's cool.
no matter how powerful my characters may seem, to some, at a certain cost they're fine.

ps, I was going to suggest an all Ssi-Ruuk Characters.
guess I'll do that this week
jen'ari
Posted: Tuesday, February 27, 2018 2:06:48 PM

I don't design function first usually either.

But thought I would give it a try.
But your function could be
To introduce a new subfaction
Or something
surf_rider56
Posted: Tuesday, February 27, 2018 2:16:30 PM

Interestingly enough I actually have an entirely different approach to what everybody else does; most of the time the picture I choose dictates what my character is. Who/what is it? Unique, non-unique? If unique, what does Wook say? Non-unique? What faction is/could he be, what doe she do (and here is where My function starts.)

I have a few hundred cards floating around. Whats capturing my fancy at That moment, that's the card I work on.
spryguy1981
Posted: Tuesday, February 27, 2018 7:53:34 PM

http://www.bloomilk.com/Custom/30797/darth-tenebrous

Try this version. Still accomplishes much of what I want but isn't as near a hard counter.
AlexTheGreat
Posted: Wednesday, February 28, 2018 1:07:20 PM

Guys, it seems to me that Eternal Empire was a big hit last week and some of you were really fascinated with the idea of a sub faction. So this week I will still go with Eternal Empire and since I made the soldier now I'll present you the commander!! Thexan is the leader of the war against Sith Empire and the Old Republic, too bad he died early and we didn't get to know him a lot. There you go..

http://www.bloomilk.com/Custom/30701/thexan
AlexTheGreat
Posted: Wednesday, February 28, 2018 1:15:07 PM

surf_rider56 wrote:
Ok, I'm willing to be the guinea pig and toss something out to see if "we" got what you want.

I want a Satele that's in the middle of the war with the Sith and she's leading her fellow Jedi in the battle. I want her to be the tank that can take on Malgus, but I also want her to have a movement breaker since she's Master of the Order.

Now, I Didn't want to outright copy what Has been done by the V-Setters. Both their Satele's had several abilities/powers in common and I wanted to avoid that. My only "concern" with this character is that the CE has two parts, but I Don't mean the second part to be board-wide like the first part implies so that's open to change.

How is This in relation for what you want and if not quite, what needs tweaking?

Cheers,

surf

WOW man!!! Great idea!! I really like it but my opinion is that her cost is quite low. Maybe raising it to 65 might be better or change her damage to 20 and master of the force 2.
surf_rider56
Posted: Wednesday, February 28, 2018 2:14:27 PM

AlexTheGreat wrote:
surf_rider56 wrote:

Cheers,

surf

WOW man!!! Great idea!! I really like it but my opinion is that her cost is quite low. Maybe raising it to 65 might be better or change her damage to 20 and master of the force 2.

Actually, you're right in that she IS low; this was a test run pic before I costed her. Duhh! She should be about 64-66 (so actually 65 is about right.)
spryguy1981
Posted: Wednesday, February 28, 2018 4:56:31 PM

@Surf I'm concerned with Soresu Style Mastery on this character. With cheap access to Mettle and the Covenant Defender, she's excruciatingly hard to kill. I'm more inclined to change SSM to Parry. If you're wanting a toe to toe bout with Malgus parry seems to fit better.
surf_rider56
Posted: Wednesday, February 28, 2018 5:25:20 PM

spryguy1981 wrote:
@Surf I'm concerned with Soresu Style Mastery on this character. With cheap access to Mettle and the Covenant Defender, she's excruciatingly hard to kill. I'm more inclined to change SSM to Parry. If you're wanting a toe to toe bout with Malgus parry seems to fit better.

Ok, defender aside because every/anybody would benefit from them, where is she getting Mettle as a Commander?

Losing Soresu for Parry opens up melee issues and I don't have room to replace one ability on my card with two. She's Supposed to be a Tank, against ranged And melee .....

As an aside to the above because most will be inclined to read over it and not pay attention to "no room on the card," many would just say "Oh, no big deal, give her Parry and X to replace Soresu." I'm working with the limitation that I have to fit everything on a card ...

Function, Theme and Form were the parameters here ... as many have done, I'm just giving the CCC what it wants. It's a tank. I don't Do Unique's often at all and this is waaay out of my >25 costs I prefer ... you think This is Bad, you should see the 2-3 Epics I've made that are Really unkillable.
spryguy1981
Posted: Wednesday, February 28, 2018 6:14:48 PM

Drop the Arca Spirit in a squad and she gets easy access to Mettle.
Lord_Ball
Posted: Wednesday, February 28, 2018 6:19:39 PM

Given the parameters the easiest solution would be to up the cost considerably.
surf_rider56
Posted: Wednesday, February 28, 2018 6:50:59 PM

spryguy1981 wrote:
Drop the Arca Spirit in a squad and she gets easy access to Mettle.

Interesting - When I "hit" Mettle for its definition and who had it, Arca Didn't come up. Swine, if youre reading this ... BigGrin

Although, to be honest, if Arca has to stay within 4 it would be useless to me since I envision Satele charging towards the front where Arca wouldn't last long ....

Lord_Ball wrote:
Given the parameters the easiest solution would be to up the cost considerably.

Actually, Alex said something and I noticed this was an older pic and its cost should've said 65, not 55.