RegisterDonateLogin

Will consume you, as it did Obi-Wan's apprentice.

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Members

SDCC CW Season 2 - Spoiler Options
LoboStele
Posted: Thursday, July 30, 2009 1:46:41 AM
Groups: Member

Mandalore Da Beast wrote:
the fett clones did have limited life expectancies.
arc troopers i believe, and the commandos didnt. they were Jangos direct clones, if im not mistaken. a clone commando became a jedi at some point, and i think it was Boss.

No Clone Commando ever became a Jedi. Judgeito expalined who you're thinking about, and it's the son of a Commando and a Jedi. And ALL of the clones had limited life expectancies, except for Boba. He's the ONLY one that's different. Now, of course, if you read the RC books, you know that Kal and his group of clones were hunting down a way to reverse the accelerated aging, but as of yet, no cure has been found.

And one of the going theories with the nano-virus on Mandalore is that it was developed from Fett's DNA, but was broad enough that any one who was also a descendant of Fett would also be affected. However, I don't think that is ever specifically stated that way in Invincible, so I may just be remembering it wrong. Whatever the case, there are always ways for writers to work around that kind of stuff. It's pretty amazing how you can twist things and work them out to your own advantage when writing a story, so that it works for you "from a certain point of view". ;)
seibermaki
Posted: Thursday, July 30, 2009 6:36:05 AM

LoboStele wrote:
"from a certain point of view". ;)

hahah, now I'm thinking of the song and dance from Robot Chicken Star Wars Ep II. heh.

Not to mention, George is rather annoying with retconning certain "minor" details.

Imagine my chagrin when after reading all the Clone Wars comics, and watching the first Clone Wars animated "micro" series.....

Oh, by the way, Anakin had an apprentice! wtf? really?

Who of course is NEVER mentioned in the other media because she hadn't been conceived of!

Honestly, I'd like to see how the Clone Wars 3D series will end up. Somehow they have to make her fit into the rest of the story as it were.

Where was she in Episode III? Maybe they'll re-release Episode III with new footage of Clone Troopers killing Ahsoka during the Order 66 montage....
markedman247
Posted: Thursday, July 30, 2009 6:38:38 AM

seibermaki wrote:
Maybe they'll re-release Episode III with new footage of Clone Troopers killing Ahsoka during the Order 66 montage....

And that would mildly elevate my opinion of Ep. III right there. :)
judgeito
Posted: Thursday, July 30, 2009 7:08:45 AM

Skirata's gang obviously found a way to stop the aging process because Jaiing (a Null ARC) is the one who helps cure Boba using Ko Sai's research in the Legacy novels.
seibermaki
Posted: Thursday, July 30, 2009 10:57:56 AM

markedman247 wrote:
seibermaki wrote:
Maybe they'll re-release Episode III with new footage of Clone Troopers killing Ahsoka during the Order 66 montage....

Actually, they oughta have Anakin kill her... or perhaps, she and Anakin duel in the Jedi Temple... I really wanted to see more of that sort of thing in that part...

but of course, for pacing reasons... I'm sure they didn't..

Of course, there would also need to be the obligatory Obi-Wan and Yoda finding her dead, and commenting on it. Considering Obi-Wan's relationship with Ahsoka too.

Sometimes I love Star Wars, sometimes I'm annoyed for those very reason that George ends up changing minor or major things.

I can't watch Episode IV without rolling my eyes when C3-PO says "thank the maker"... and I'm like, uh, it was Anakin... who is now Darth Vader... oh and by the way 3PO and R2-D2, remember when you've been to the Lars estate before? (well, 3PO wouldn't, but R2 would) and then of course Owen & Beru should've recognized the droids!!! c'mon George!!! seriously.
Dr. Destructo
Posted: Thursday, July 30, 2009 11:09:50 AM

still fewer plot holes than Transformers 2...
Eroschilles
Posted: Thursday, July 30, 2009 1:45:26 PM
Groups: Member , Moderator

Like I would remember two random droids from 20 plus years ago if I spent all day every day in those twin suns. I don't remember what I did yesterday even. I think I was beating a malfunctioning moisture vaporator with a wrench or something.
Zombieboy
Posted: Thursday, July 30, 2009 2:23:57 PM

I cant wait for season 2,at first i was only kinda interested until i saw the Mandos
judgeito
Posted: Thursday, July 30, 2009 3:17:37 PM

C3PO didn't have the gold plates in EP2 at the Lars farm and there were alot of protocol droids that looked like that. R2 was also a common model and I don't think the Lars had much time around him. As far as the droids remembering, C3PO's miemory got wiped and in the Swarm War novels it reveals that R2 remebers everything he had just kept it under wraps. R2D2 has been saving the galaxy for 200 years by the time the Legacy comics roll around. The Jedi order is toppled twice but an astromech is still pimpin.
defender390
Posted: Friday, July 31, 2009 4:23:41 AM

There is also the problem with Leia remembering her mother. Although you could make the argument that her Breh Organa (unknown to Leia) was actually the one she remebers being sad before she died, they obviously meant for it to be Padme. However, she died in childbirth. There are also many other inconsistencies that have been retconned.
Mandalore Da Beast
Posted: Friday, July 31, 2009 8:45:00 AM

so much for cannon....
just goes to show you, if it blooms money, you get the shaft.
Eroschilles
Posted: Friday, July 31, 2009 11:33:52 AM

defender390 wrote:
There is also the problem with Leia remembering her mother. Although you could make the argument that her Breh Organa (unknown to Leia) was actually the one she remebers being sad before she died, they obviously meant for it to be Padme. However, she died in childbirth. There are also many other inconsistencies that have been retconned.

Why wouldn't Breha be known to Leia at least a little? Breha's death isn't given and she was married to Bail at the time Leia was born. Breha could have been sad because she couldn't have children of her own. I don't think Leia was talking about her mother in ROTJ.
Mandalore Da Beast
Posted: Friday, July 31, 2009 12:11:13 PM

Eroschilles wrote:
defender390 wrote:

Why wouldn't Breha be known to Leia at least a little? Breha's death isn't given and she was married to Bail at the time Leia was born. Breha could have been sad because she couldn't have children of her own. I don't think Leia was talking about her mother in ROTJ.

when luke asks Leia, "do you remember your mother", she answers with her mother being Sad.(probably because Breha had to shelter Leia, for her true identity) Not Padme. the last and only time she saw her bio-logical mother, Her mother croaked.
defender390
Posted: Saturday, August 1, 2009 4:40:42 AM

Mandalore Da Beast wrote:
Eroschilles wrote:
defender390 wrote:

when luke asks Leia, "do you remember your mother", she answers with her mother being Sad.(probably because Breha had to shelter Leia, for her true identity) Not Padme. the last and only time she saw her bio-logical mother, Her mother croaked.

I figured that it was pretty obvious that they originally meant for it to be Padme. Before the pequels, that is what I thought when I first saw it. It would have much more effect if Luke was asking Leia about the mother he never knew, only to find out that she did not know her very well either. It adds absolutely nothing to the story if they were talking about Breha. Like I said, you can argue that they are talking about Breha, but the original intention is still there. The prequels essentially retconned that scene, and now it less effective for it.
Eroschilles
Posted: Saturday, August 1, 2009 5:26:58 AM

I don't see how the original intention was there at all, unless when watching it you are assuming their mother raised Leia, but not Luke. Luke didn't know a mother, he had his aunt raising him. Its emotional value comes from that Luke probably felt all alone, having no parents and he envied his sister who at least grew up with some security from adopted parents. I don't think the prequels retconned anything.
defender390
Posted: Saturday, August 1, 2009 8:23:05 AM

Here is the passage from the novelization by James Kahn:

Quote:
He looked down at their intertwined fingers. Leia...do you remember your mother? Your real mother?

The question took her totally by surprise. She'd always felt so close to her adopted parents, it was as if they were her real parents. She almost never thought of her real mother-that was like a dream.

Yet now Luke's question made her start. Flashes from her infancy assaulted her-distorted visions of running...a beautiful woman...hiding in a trunk. The fragments suddenly threatened to flood her with emotion.

"Yes," she said, pausing to regain her composure. "Just a little bit. She died when I was very young."

"What do you remeber?" he pressed. "Tell me."

Just feelings, really...images." She wanted to let it slide, it was so out of the blue, so far from her immediate concerns...but somehow so loud outside, all of a sudden.

"Tell me," Luke repeated.

She felt surprised by his insistence, bnut decided to follow him with it, at least for the time being. She trusted him, even when he frightened her. "She was very beautiful," Leia remembered aloud. "Gentle and kind-but sad." She looked deeply in his eyes, seeking his intentions. "Why are you asking me this?"

He turned away, peering back up at the Death Star , as if he'd been on the verge of opening up; then something scared him, and he pulled it all in once more. "I have no memory of my mother," he claimed. "I never knew her."

Therefore, Leia did know she was adopted. The only way Breha works into this is if she died while Leia was young, Bail remarried, and Leia was led to believe that Breha was her real mother. However, Breha died in 0 BBY, as far as we know. So that is out until we get more information. It is far more likely to assume that Lucas originally meant for Padme to die around 18-16 BBY, but changed it to 19 BBY by the time of Revenge of the Sith. You could also argue that when Leia refers to infancy, it is when she saw Padme as a newborn. However the specifics still make no sense. And also, why would Luke not remember, but Leia would? Luke was more powerful than Leia. This means that short of a detailed explanation, the scene has been retconned and lost its effect since the timeline makes no sense. Are you happy now?
Eroschilles
Posted: Saturday, August 1, 2009 9:13:13 AM

defender390 wrote:
Here is the passage from the novelization by James Kahn:

Quote:
He looked down at their intertwined fingers. Leia...do you remember your mother? Your real mother?

The question took her totally by surprise. She'd always felt so close to her adopted parents, it was as if they were her real parents. She almost never thought of her real mother-that was like a dream.

Yet now Luke's question made her start. Flashes from her infancy assaulted her-distorted visions of running...a beautiful woman...hiding in a trunk. The fragments suddenly threatened to flood her with emotion.

"Yes," she said, pausing to regain her composure. "Just a little bit. She died when I was very young."

"What do you remeber?" he pressed. "Tell me."

Just feelings, really...images." She wanted to let it slide, it was so out of the blue, so far from her immediate concerns...but somehow so loud outside, all of a sudden.

"Tell me," Luke repeated.

She felt surprised by his insistence, bnut decided to follow him with it, at least for the time being. She trusted him, even when he frightened her. "She was very beautiful," Leia remembered aloud. "Gentle and kind-but sad." She looked deeply in his eyes, seeking his intentions. "Why are you asking me this?"

He turned away, peering back up at the Death Star , as if he'd been on the verge of opening up; then something scared him, and he pulled it all in once more. "I have no memory of my mother," he claimed. "I never knew her."

Therefore, Leia did know she was adopted. The only way Breha works into this is if she died while Leia was young, Bail remarried, and Leia was led to believe that Breha was her real mother. However, Breha died in 0 BBY, as far as we know. So that is out until we get more information. It is far more likely to assume that Lucas originally meant for Padme to die around 18-16 BBY, but changed it to 19 BBY by the time of Revenge of the Sith. You could also argue that when Leia refers to infancy, it is when she saw Padme as a newborn. However the specifics still make no sense. And also, why would Luke not remember, but Leia would? Luke was more powerful than Leia. This means that short of a detailed explanation, the scene has been retconned and lost its effect since the timeline makes no sense. Are you happy now?

The novelization is different than the films. Lucas didn't have as much direct input in the novelizations as with the screenplays. So, it's not like Lucas changed his mind about what happened to their mother. The films themselves don't contradict each other, only peoples interpretations of the films and the Expanded Universe contradict what's in Lucas' films.

And you could always interpret what she "remembered" and felt as impressions left in force from those aound her growing up who remembered Padme, not neccessarily what she herself remembered and felt.
defender390
Posted: Saturday, August 1, 2009 9:57:40 AM

In the movie, Luke still said, "Leia...do you remember your mother? Your real mother?". Therefore, my point still stands. I simply used the novel to give more insight into Leia's thoughts.

George Lucas was directly involved in the novelizations of the original trilogy, especially Star Wars, which he wrote himself. It says directly on the cover of Return of the Jedi "Screenplay by Lawrence Kasdan and George Lucas". Empire Strikes Back, however, does not credit the screenplay. That means the author had more wiggle room. The novels that credit the screenplays are strictly novelizations of the screenplays.

True, but that raises the question of why Leia and not Luke? Luke was decidedly more powerful than Leia. Owen, Beru, and Obi-Wan all had memories of Padme and Anakin. Why did Luke not pick up memories from them? The path of least resistence is to simply assume that Lucas changed his mind by the time the prequels came around.
dalibins
Posted: Saturday, August 1, 2009 10:50:04 AM

markedman247 wrote:
seibermaki wrote:

My money is on Cade Bane killing Ahsoka and then Anakin killing Cade.
Mandalore Da Beast
Posted: Saturday, August 1, 2009 11:57:44 AM

dalibins wrote:
markedman247 wrote:
seibermaki wrote:

My money is on Cade Bane killing Ahsoka and then Anakin killing Cade.

im with you on thatThumpUp