RegisterDonateLogin

Now with 15% less sand in every glass.

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Members

TILE WARS (An alternate Star Wars Miniatures format) Options
TimmerB123
Posted: Wednesday, August 26, 2009 6:09:01 AM
Groups: Member

TILE WARS is a SWM variant format that a friend and I developed. Created in 2007, born of an idea from Jacob Snodgrass, who was frustrated with the lack of action in competitive games. Then along with myself, Deri Morgan (fingerandteeth) and other members of Chicago League 1670, we play-tested and shaped it. Next with help from the guys at Gamer's Paradise (now Chicagoland Games) and Pastimes in Niles, we played, promoted and spread the word of the new format. I am pleased that this format has gained popularity so quickly. It's fast and fun, and is much more complex than it appears at first glance. Some have referred to it as a Star Wars cage match. Action is unavoidable, and you only win when all enemies are dead. It's a version we play sometimes when we don't have time for a full game. GenCon 2008 was it's first big tournament appearance (Won by Phillip Carlisle aka Joruus C'Boath), and that was in the 100pt format. 2009 was it's first big tournament appearance in the fan demanded (and original conception) 200pt format (Won by Deri Morgan aka fingersandteeth). Complete TILE WARS Hall of Fame info: HERE

I present to you:

TILE WARS

Game play follows all rules of standard Star Wars Miniatures 200 pt. play with the following exceptions:

1. 1. Both players bring with them 1 tile (5 squares x 7 (or 8) squares), INSTEAD of a map. Legal tiles will be officially released WotC, or designed by Christopher West (aka "Mapmaker") 5 squares x 7 (or 8) squares tile. At this time the list includes the tiles (5 squares x 7 (or 8) squares) from any starter set, league promo, official WotC download, or any Ultimate Missions book, or any of Christopher West's (aka "Mapmaker") Tile sets or downloads. See list below for all legal tiles. The tile must have all the appropriate lines and marking (doors, walls, pits, etc.) for Star Wars Miniatures. Your entire squad must be able to fit on your tile.
These are the official legal tiles released to date for this format (Updated 4/24/2012), (Updated 7/23/2012):

Rebel Storm Starter:Cargo Bay
Control Room
Detetion Block
Hanger Bay
Hyperdrive Station
Storage

Clone Strike Starter:
Battle Droid Factory
Crater
Destroyer Droid Factory
Execution Pillar
Power Station
Shattered Hall
Shattered Pillar
Speeder Wreck

Leauge Kits:

Bombed Out Villa
Crumbled Depot
Ruined Plaza

Clone Strike Ultimate Missions:
Broken Ediface

Revenge of the Sith Ultimate Missions:
Starfighter

Official WotC downloadable tiles:
Desert & Sarlacc Tiles
Throne Room Tiles (Please keep in mind only the 4th tile with two un-walled ends will work for TILE WARS.)

*note - Turbolift Cluster and Shaft are not legal Tiles for TILE WARS*

Christopher West's Tiles (aka "Mapmaker")
Link to buy these tiles: http://www.mapsofmastery.com/store.html
Cargo Hold
Guard Post
Extension Bridge
Cargo Loading Dock
Control Car
Empty Freight Car
Freight Car
Passenger Car

Here is what the additional Christopher West Tiles that are also legal are:

Sci-Fi Cargo Tiles:
Speeder Truck
Armored Truck

*Sorry - upon further inspection these two tiles are no longer legal (4/24/12)

Surveillance Station Terrain Card Set:
(Most of these tiles are 2 sided, so I put them in pairs to make it easier.)
Gambling Lounge/Security Corridor (both sides are legal)
Maintenance Bay/Galley (both sides are legal)
Landing Platform 1 (both sides are legal)
Landing Platform 2 (both sides are legal)
Security Hanger/Submersible Bay (both sides are legal)
Storage (ONLY the side WITHOUT the "Maps of Mastery" logo is legal)

"Railway Station Tiles" (5x8) Terrain Card Set:
Cargo Loading Dock/Engineering Bay (both sides are legal)
Control Car/Control Car Rooftop (both sides are legal)
Empty Freight Car/Empty Freight Car Rooftop (both sides are legal)
Freight Car/Freight Car Rooftop (both sides are legal)
Passenger Car/Passenger Car Rooftop (both sides are legal)
Extension Bridge (Retracted Bridge on reverse side is NOT legal)
Railway Line (reverse side is not a tile)

"Alien Starship Tiles" (5x8) Terrain Card Set:
Abdominal Structure (Biogel Chamber on reverse side is NOT legal)
Alien Floor (Biomechanical Starfighter on reverse side is NOT legal)
Audience Chamber/Command Pod (both sides are legal)
Empty Chamber (Alcoves on reverse side is NOT legal)

and DOWNLOADABLE tiles from Maps of Mastery:
(http://mapsofmastery.com/downloads.html)

Quicksand
Campsite
Crash Site
Control Car Roof
Freight Car Roof
Hangar Bay
Starfighter
Extension Bridge
Dragon's Hoard
Mining Track
Command Pod

Biogell Chamber
*Sorry - upon further inspection this tile is no longer legal (4/24/12)

"Dimensional Time Ship" (5x8) Terrain Card Set
Private Collection (2-square door on edge, lots of low objects)
Port Side Quantum Engine (Ditto above)
Storage Compartment (Ditto above)
Observatory
Master Suite (one square for possible hiding, but the door stays open)
Gardens
The Library
Regeneration Chamber
Swimming Pool (all difficult terrain)
Planetarium
Regeneration Center

This will be the list for GenCon 2015!

2. Both players bring their tile and place it with their desired 5 square side towards their opponent. The two tiles must "connect" to each other through the five squares of the narrow side. The tiles should not overlap, but lay adjacent and in line with each other. Tiles may not be offset. In addition, there must be at least 2 squares of "access" to the opposing players tile. Access will be considered 1 square on one player’s tile with no terrain, rough terrain or low objects (no walls or pits) directly adjacent (not diagonal) to a square on your opponent’s tile with no terrain, rough terrain or low objects (no walls or pits). Walled off ends of tiles must be faced away from your opponent. If the tiles don't fit together with the requisite 2 squares of access, then BOTH players must turn their tile 180 degrees. If there is only one way 2 tiles can fit together and allow for at least 2 squares of access, they must be turned so that they can do that. If for some reason 2 tiles cannot fit together with at least 2 squares of access, a new tile must be used by both players, chosen randomly by the judge.

Roll for setup, winner chooses who places characters first. Characters can be placed
anywhere on their own tile. Your entire squad must be able to fit legally on your tile. Every character must be able to reach the other players tile, attack an enemy or be attacked by an enemy. (This rule is simply to prevent the trapping of one or more of your own characters behind a wall for the whole game.)

3. A player must destroy every unit on an opponent’s team to be declared the winner. No lock out victories. There is no gambit and no time limit. (Games last an average of 20-30 minutes.) Overriding a door locked CLOSED is illegal in TILE WARS. All characters with the Diplomat special ability lose that ability in TILE WARS.[/color] If for some reason neither team is completely defeated after 45 minutes, it will result in a double-loss, regardless of points.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________

I would love for you all to playtest this format and report back. Ways to abuse it? It is a kill 'em all game, any way for that not to happen? Powerful squads? Let me know.
defender390
Posted: Wednesday, August 26, 2009 7:49:55 AM

I like tile wars a lot, thanks for posting the rules here. It always seems to result in the most fun games.
imyurhukaberry
Posted: Wednesday, August 26, 2009 8:09:54 AM
Groups: Member , Moderator

I tried this on VASSAL and didn't know the rules. Well needless to say Joruus (i believe it was him) toasted me in like 2 rounds. It was hilarious! and FUN.
Rabid Wookiee
Posted: Wednesday, August 26, 2009 8:10:42 AM

I've never played Tile Wars, but it sounds like a lot of fun. I'll certainly give it a try. Thanks for posting!
Mandalore Da Beast
Posted: Wednesday, August 26, 2009 8:25:29 AM

i play something close to tile wars, but me and my buddies just make massive maps, for armies that are up to 500pts. i will certainly try this out tho.
Mickey
Posted: Wednesday, August 26, 2009 10:21:02 AM

We've already been playing tile wars at our LGS but we use 2 tiles. Since it's not DCI we are allowed to use any tile from any of the sets as long as they are 5x7. At least last time the group played it I think that was what happened.
bkchi
Posted: Wednesday, August 26, 2009 3:05:03 PM

Yo, Timmer! I love Tile Wars. We played some at my LGS out here in Schaumburg a couple of weeks ago. Great fun. Thanks for adding MapMaker's new tiles to the format!

The Don (bkchi)
DarthJak
Posted: Wednesday, August 26, 2009 3:26:15 PM

Cool I first heard of Tile Wars at GenCon this year.Can't wait to try it and use some of West's tiles.I traded him Yoda and some game tokens and stuff for a map and his tiles after he spanked me in a JA sealed game. He is super cool and an amazing artist.BigGrin
Mapmaker
Posted: Friday, August 28, 2009 5:23:46 PM

Thanks again for that trade, DarthJak! I'm still very happy about it, and appreciate your kindness! Also, thanks for a really fun game!
TimmerB123
Posted: Friday, August 28, 2009 5:28:52 PM

Thanks for everyone's support and enthusiasm!

Mickey wrote:
We've already been playing tile wars at our LGS but we use 2 tiles. Since it's not DCI we are allowed to use any tile from any of the sets as long as they are 5x7. At least last time the group played it I think that was what happened.

It's not official DCI, so technically you could always do anything you want. What we have here in post one is what we try and get most people to go by, just to have a uniform way of playing. We do play with the 5x7 tiles (Our legal list is in post one), and both you and your opponent bring one, so you end up playing on two total. The only reason not EVERY 5x7 tile is legal is that some would be abusive and overly powerful. We want some balance to the game so it's fun and has great variety.

All that being said - there is an advantage to not being DCI official (yet), and that is WE, as a community, make the rules. We don't have to wait for the next floor rules to come out, or errata, etc. Recent (minor) rule changes include dropping the time limit to 45 minutes, and allowing 3 new Christopher West Tiles.

By all means - play-test and get back to me to see if 30 minutes works better (I know MOST games finish in under 30, but remember it's a double loss if you don't finish before the time limit.) To my knowledge there was never a game that went over the time-limit, and even after decreasing the time limit, I want to keep that record.

Also play-test and report findings on Mr West's other tiles "under consideration". The three that we made legal already were shoe-ins, but the next 5 could be very powerful. Too powerful - Maybe, maybe not - let me know!
TimmerB123
Posted: Saturday, February 27, 2010 5:22:56 AM

Just a heads up - it looks like there will be at TILE WARS tournament at GenCon again this year! More details to follow, once it's all official, but I will say these few things:

#1 We will NOT have the dreaded Friday late-night spot.
#2 We will NOT have hour long rounds (Strict 45 min max!)

Hope to see you all there.

200 pt teams and look for a legal tile list soon, but watch for Christopher West's newer tiles likely to be included!
The Madman
Posted: Saturday, February 27, 2010 9:12:16 AM

Tile Wars is a Staple Build for us here in Cincinnati!

I would certanly reccomend the Maps of Mastery (C. West) tiles on the 'consideration' list

We've played with them with much success!
Frankly 2 of them are Near perfect counter measures to the dreaded "strafe run"squads Myself and others often play

we even run our Dynamic Duo builds on tiles now and do an IRON MAN challenge with the DD/Tiles
TimmerB123
Posted: Sunday, March 14, 2010 4:17:00 AM

The Madman wrote:
Tile Wars is a Staple Build for us here in Cincinnati!

I would certanly reccomend the Maps of Mastery (C. West) tiles on the 'consideration' list

We've played with them with much success!
Frankly 2 of them are Near perfect counter measures to the dreaded "strafe run"squads Myself and others often play

we even run our Dynamic Duo builds on tiles now and do an IRON MAN challenge with the DD/Tiles

Thanks for the input!

TILE WARS tournament April 11th.

Link here: http://www.bloomilk.com/Forums/Default.aspx?g=posts&t=5591

We will be using all of Christopher West's "under consideration" Tiles (ie his train car ones and the 2 new download-able ones) for this tournament. The results will help shape what will be legal at GenCon.

If anyone else has playtest results - please share. :)
TimmerB123
Posted: Tuesday, July 27, 2010 11:09:03 AM

TILE WARS at GenCon - Thursday night 8/05/10 at 10pm - be there!

Also of note TILE WARS fans - Christopher West's tiles (aka Mapmaker) will be legal this year for the tournament. See the official TILE WARS thread for the legal list of tiles.

Also - strict 45 minute time limits will be enforced. Double loss to both players if not FINISHED in 45 minutes.

------> In addition to this, I will be handing out SLOW PLAY WARNINGS to any player going over 30 minutes in more than one game. This is just to encourage people to finish in under 30 minutes. So - to recap, go over 30 minutes (but less than 45) once - no problem. Happens again, warning. Happens a third time - game loss. I don't expect this to happen - but I want a system in place if it does.

Happy carnage, see you all at GenCon!

http://swmgamers.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=7032&start=60
Mapmaker
Posted: Tuesday, July 27, 2010 3:01:26 PM

I'll try to swing by the hall to see how it goes, schedule permitting.

By the way, I've only got 8 copies of my first terrain tile set left (and I think Paizo has 7). I'll have them at the show if they hold out 'till next week.

Also: I've got a new set of "Sci-Fi Cargo Tiles" debuting at the show, but most of the cards are cut-out terrain bits. The two vehicles in the set might interest you for Tile Wars, though; I'd love to get your feedback on those when you see them. :)
cwh008
Posted: Wednesday, July 28, 2010 1:38:42 AM

wait you put these together with the 5 square sides touching? So they become VERY long but skinny? i.e. 14x5 when they are together?

How big of a squad point wise do you use?
countrydude82487
Posted: Wednesday, July 28, 2010 2:47:29 AM

cwh008 wrote:
wait you put these together with the 5 square sides touching? So they become VERY long but skinny? i.e. 14x5 when they are together?

Well the one at gen con this year and for the last few have been 200 points. IT may sound like a lot for such a small play area, but its really fun. I will personally be playing again this year. Last year i went up against the CHAMP and got third.
TimmerB123
Posted: Wednesday, July 28, 2010 8:51:30 PM

Mapmaker wrote:
I'll try to swing by the hall to see how it goes, schedule permitting.

By the way, I've only got 8 copies of my first terrain tile set left (and I think Paizo has 7). I'll have them at the show if they hold out 'till next week.

Also: I've got a new set of "Sci-Fi Cargo Tiles" debuting at the show, but most of the cards are cut-out terrain bits. The two vehicles in the set might interest you for Tile Wars, though; I'd love to get your feedback on those when you see them. :)

I can't wait to see them!
TimmerB123
Posted: Wednesday, July 28, 2010 8:55:52 PM

cwh008 wrote:

Correct - 14x5. Think of it like your squad is in a 5x7 cage, and so is the other squad. Then some evil person puts the cages together end to end and raises the doors, and makes you fight to the death. Fun huh?

So yeah, 200 is what we usually play - and what the GenCon tournament WILL BE. But I find it can be fun at many levels - including even higher!
TimmerB123
Posted: Wednesday, July 28, 2010 8:56:52 PM

countrydude82487 wrote:
cwh008 wrote:

Well the one at gen con this year and for the last few have been 200 points. IT may sound like a lot for such a small play area, but its really fun. I will personally be playing again this year. Last year i went up against the CHAMP and got third.

Hope to see you there again - it's time that Welshman gets taken down! ;)