RegisterDonateLogin

Was a good friend.

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Members

TILE WARS (An alternate Star Wars Miniatures format) Options
TimmerB123
Posted: Thursday, July 29, 2010 6:01:02 AM
Groups: Member

Amazing hand crafted bonus prize for 1st place this year! That's all I'll say for now.
greentime
Posted: Thursday, July 29, 2010 8:56:56 AM

This format is an absolute blast, and pretty much vanishes all the things that can make games frustrating or less fun (mouse droid activation races, getting stymied by 5x override, etc). So many squads are playable - and good! - in this format that you see all kinds of crazy stuff that you'd never even imagine winning a game of Star Wars. It's probably my favorite way to play minis honestly.
TimmerB123
Posted: Friday, July 30, 2010 4:41:42 AM

greentime wrote:
This format is an absolute blast, and pretty much vanishes all the things that can make games frustrating or less fun (mouse droid activation races, getting stymied by 5x override, etc). So many squads are playable - and good! - in this format that you see all kinds of crazy stuff that you'd never even imagine winning a game of Star Wars. It's probably my favorite way to play minis honestly.

Agreed fully! Glad to hear it. :)
TimmerB123
Posted: Friday, July 30, 2010 4:53:41 AM

*UPDATE*

Upon careful consideration, I have decided to try and implement a way of 3/2 scoring in TILE WARS at GenCon. All games must finish (or double loss ensues) will ALWAYS stay in TILE WARS.

BUT - I think the 3/2 scoring system is the perfect way to encourage games to finish in under 30 minutes.

SO - here's how it will be at GenCon:

Complete win in 30 minutes or less = 3 pt win
Complete win in 31-45 minutes = 2 pt win
Game not complete after 45 minutes = Double loss (0 points for both)

I will still watch carefully for slow play, and will hand out warnings if need be. But I think the positive reinforcement is better than the negative.

This really changes little, since most games finish in 30 minutes anyway - but this way it encourages it even more. ThumbsUp
countrydude82487
Posted: Friday, July 30, 2010 2:14:28 PM

TimmerB123 wrote:
*UPDATE*

Upon careful consideration, I have decided to try and implement a way of 3/2 scoring in TILE WARS at GenCon. All games must finish (or double loss ensues) will ALWAYS stay in TILE WARS.

BUT - I think the 3/2 scoring system is the perfect way to encourage games to finish in under 30 minutes.

SO - here's how it will be at GenCon:

Complete win in 30 minutes or less = 3 pt win
Complete win in 31-45 minutes = 2 pt win
Game not complete after 45 minutes = Double loss (0 points for both)

I will still watch carefully for slow play, and will hand out warnings if need be. But I think the positive reinforcement is better than the negative.

This really changes little, since most games finish in 30 minutes anyway - but this way it encourages it even more. ThumbsUp

Love it. Although i dont think i had a match go more than 15 minutes last year. My final match lasted less than 5 lol but that was because i was facing the champ and he won initiative.
greentime
Posted: Saturday, July 31, 2010 11:29:45 AM

To celebrate Tile Wars, here are some cool squads - one for each faction!

Republic!
Mandos!
Rebels!
Sith!
Imperials!
Old Republic!
Seperatists!
Yuuzhan Vong!
New Republic!

These games feature insane carnage, and any faction (except OR, probably) can compete. 10 mouse droids? Not in this format. Dodonna? Pretty much pointless. Override? Against the rules.

And I love the new scoring guidelines. There aren't nearly as many decisions to make, and on most tiles you can't really hide from anyone anyway, so the whole activation race thing mostly doesn't happen. Spinning a mouse droid and saying "go" is a good way to get your dudes pounded into the ground. Games start fast, play fast, and end off of a sudden. It's like playing battle chess after getting used to the real thing.
TimmerB123
Posted: Saturday, July 31, 2010 6:39:43 PM

greentime wrote:
To celebrate Tile Wars, here are some cool squads - one for each faction!

Republic!
Mandos!
Rebels!
Sith!
Imperials!
Old Republic!
Seperatists!
Yuuzhan Vong!
New Republic!

These games feature insane carnage, and any faction (except OR, probably) can compete. 10 mouse droids? Not in this format. Dodonna? Pretty much pointless. Override? Against the rules.

And I love the new scoring guidelines. There aren't nearly as many decisions to make, and on most tiles you can't really hide from anyone anyway, so the whole activation race thing mostly doesn't happen. Spinning a mouse droid and saying "go" is a good way to get your dudes pounded into the ground. Games start fast, play fast, and end off of a sudden. It's like playing battle chess after getting used to the real thing.

I agree with everything you said EXCEPT that OR can't compete. they can totally compete in this format! In fact, last year we had contenders from every faction EXCEPT Rebels. Ironically rebels rules the championship, but couldn't compete in TILE WARS.

OR could compete with The Jedi Exile and Atton Rand - but now with Hoth and Cay Qel-Droma on top of that they are serious contenders.
TimmerB123
Posted: Thursday, April 26, 2012 9:02:21 PM

Updated 4/20/2012 for the legal tile list
TimmerB123
Posted: Thursday, April 26, 2012 9:06:57 PM

These are the official legal tiles released to date for this format (Updated 4/24/2012):

Rebel Storm Starter:Cargo Bay
Control Room
Detetion Block
Hanger Bay
Hyperdrive Station
Storage

Clone Strike Starter:
Battle Droid Factory
Crater
Destroyer Droid Factory
Execution Pillar
Power Station
Shattered Hall
Shattered Pillar
Speeder Wreck

Leauge Kits:

Bombed Out Villa
Crumbled Depot
Ruined Plaza

Clone Strike Ultimate Missions:
Broken Ediface

Revenge of the Sith Ultimate Missions:
Starfighter

Official WotC downloadable tiles:
Desert & Sarlacc Tiles
Throne Room Tiles (Please keep in mind only the 4th tile with two un-walled ends will work for TILE WARS.)

*note - Turbolift Cluster and Shaft are not legal Tiles for TILE WARS*

Christopher West's Tiles (aka "Mapmaker")
Link to buy these tiles: http://www.mapsofmastery.com/store.html
Cargo Hold
Guard Post
Extension Bridge
Cargo Loading Dock
Control Car
Empty Freight Car
Freight Car
Passenger Car

Here is what the additional Christopher West Tiles that are also legal are:

Sci-Fi Cargo Tiles:
Speeder Truck
Armored Truck

*Sorry - upon further inspection these two tiles are no longer legal (4/24/12)

Surveillance Station Terrain Card Set:
(Most of these tiles are 2 sided, so I put them in pairs to make it easier.)
Gambling Lounge/Security Corridor (both sides are legal)
Maintenance Bay/Galley (both sides are legal)
Landing Platform 1 (both sides are legal)
Landing Platform 2 (both sides are legal)
Security Hanger/Submersible Bay (both sides are legal)
Storage (ONLY the side WITHOUT the "Maps of Mastery" logo is legal)

and DOWNLOADABLE tiles from Maps of Mastery:
(http://mapsofmastery.com/downloads.html)

Quicksand
Campsite
Crash Site
Control Car Roof
Freight Car Roof
Hangar Bay
Starfighter
Extension Bridge
Dragon's Hoard
Mining Track
Command Pod

Biogell Chamber
*Sorry - upon further inspection this tile is no longer legal (4/24/12)

This will be the list for GenCon 2012!
TimmerB123
Posted: Wednesday, May 9, 2012 1:53:34 PM

From the GenCon 2012 catalogue:

Game ID: NMN1230206
Gaming Group
/ Company: SWM Gamers
Title: Star Wars Miniatures 200 Point Tile Wars
Short Description: 200 Point tournament using figures from all expansions. Players will bring one tournament tile along with their squad. Players place the tiles together and let the battle begin. Four rounds of Swiss.
Long Description: Tile Wars returns once again! This will be a 200 Point tournament using figures from all legal expansions. Instead of bringing a map, players will need to bring one tournament tile along with their squad. Then, the players will place the tiles together and let the battle begin on the small battlefield. Tournament will be four rounds of Swiss, with prizes awarded to players with zero or one loss. This will be the final part of this year's Sith Trials three tournament event, and the results will be added to the other two tournaments to determine this year's Sith Trials Champion.
Event Type: NMN - Non-Historical Miniatures
Game System: Star Wars Miniatures
Rules Edition: 2012 SWMPGA Floor
Minimum
Number of Players: 4
Maximum
Number of Players: 24
Minimum Age: Everyone (6+)
Experience Required: None (You've never played before)
Materials Provided: No, materials are not provided for this game. You must bring your own.
Start Date & Time: Saturday at 5:00 PM
Duration: 4 hours
GM(s): Ray Becker
Web Address
for more information: swmgamers.com
Email Address
for more information: dvader831@gmail.com
Tournament: Yes, this is a tournament.
Cost: $14.00
TimmerB123
Posted: Wednesday, May 9, 2012 1:54:19 PM

5:00pm on Saturday at GenCon!

TILE WARS World Championship!

This will also be the last leg of the Sith Trials, and will determine who the overall winner will be!!!
TimmerB123
Posted: Thursday, May 10, 2012 6:16:22 AM

Also - Congratulations to Ben Johnson of Missouri who on Friday, April 21st became the first ever official :emperor: (I will MAKE it legal!) TILE WARS Regional champion!!!

He beat me in the finals with his HK Assassin, Destroyer Mark II, Durge JH, Sora Bulq, Whorm Loathsom squad of nastiness.

Shut my Republic deathshot squad right down until I was decimated.

Nice squad build and perfectly played.
TimmerB123
Posted: Thursday, May 10, 2012 6:24:08 AM

I think I will use my self perceived power to declare the Friday June 1st TILE WARS tournament in Kokomo IN to be an official TILE WARS regional championship!

Strongly encourage other regionals to have a TILE WARS regional too!
countrydude82487
Posted: Thursday, May 10, 2012 7:12:32 AM

TimmerB123 wrote:
I think I will use my self perceived power to declare the Friday June 1st TILE WARS tournament in Kokomo IN to be an official TILE WARS regional championship!

Strongly encourage other regionals to have a TILE WARS regional too!

dang want to come on friday so bad...... but can't because of the kids and wife...
TimmerB123
Posted: Sunday, May 13, 2012 10:52:06 AM

ANNOUNCEMENT:

Chicago TILE WARS Regional championship 2012 - will be after the Swiss Rounds of the Chicago SWM Regional (May 19th, 2012). Those not in the top four, and anyone else wanting to attend are welcome! It will begin at approximately 5:00pm

Sorry top 4, you'll have to sit this one out. We were going to do it after it all finished, but I think that would hurt attendance too greatly. So I really hope everyone brings a TILE WARS squad to play, and if you make the top 4 you can give it to a friend to play. Let's keep the gaming going!

I will have TILES available for use.

Chicagoland Games (Dice Dojo)
5550 N Broadway, Chicago

Cost: FREE!
TimmerB123
Posted: Tuesday, June 5, 2012 10:08:50 AM

Congrats to Bryan Hole - winner of the 2012 Indiana TILE WARS Regional!

Here's his report:

"DarkDracul" wrote:
I really struggled with my squad design for the 2012 Indiana Regional. I play Sith squads exclusively and my favorite faction is unable to handle the diversity of squads currently out there. So, for several weeks I specifically designed and play tested against the Mace in Your Face squad, believing it would be my most prevalent opponent. I was still working on my squad the night before the regional as the New York and Atlanta players started showing up for the tile wars tournament. Which reminded me, I still needed to make a Tile Wars squad! So, I grabbed my regional squad and quickly threw together one of my Sith squad ideas.

I had no expectations of doing well.

Tile: Detention Block
62 Darth Revan DLotS
48 Darth Zannah
36 Lord Kann
14 Exar Kun, Dark Force Spirit
11 Darth Sideous
13 Kel Dor Bounty Hunter
10 Defel Pirate
3 Mouse Droid x2

Game 1 v.s Graham
Graham was running a massive damage shooter Rebel Pilot squad.
Squad; mostly all living, no force users, no force immunity, less than 80 hit points each. I went first and ran Revan into the middle of his tile then tried to swap, and he said, “No, I have disruptive.” At which point I turned two shades of red in embarrassment at my mistake. It was then his turn and he defeated Revan. I activated Exar’s Dark Aura and my Kel Dor. Kel Dor and Defel were killed and Zannah took a ton of damage. I think I made one lightsaber expert roll. On my last turn I open the lower right detention cell with a mouse droid and ran Lord Kann into the middle of his squad. Luckily, I won initiative and Thought Bombed his entire squad, needing save of 15 or 80 damage. Afterward, only two pilots with a few hit points remained. Zannah (saves) or adjacent pilots miss and then Zannah corrupts to kill the two pilots and herself. Sideous Holo remains for the win.

Game 2 v.s Steve
Steve was running an IG droid squad with T-1, giving attacks after initiative was determined. Squad; mostly droid, no force users, no force immunity, less than 80 hit points each. He opened the door and killed my defel. I ran my Kel Dor towards his commanders and he took the AoO which put 40 damage on couple of his droids. Revan master sped, assaulted, and swapped in Zannah. Steve’s turn and he rolled several ones and I made a couple lightsaber expert rolls. Lord Kann joined the battle and somehow, I survived his barrage of attacks and my Sith lords cut down his droids.

Game 3 v.s Randy
Randy was running Palpatine on throne with several Imperial Sovereigns. 700+ HPS
Squad; mostly all living, all force users, no force immunity, more than 80 hit points each. Randy set up Palps in the front row of his tile and I put Exar spirt in front row of my tile. I went first and activated Exar’s Dark Aura and moved him in the middle of Randy’s tile. Two Imperial sovereigns moved away from Palps towards me. I based Palps with the Kel Dor and ran Revan into the middle of his tile and assaulted a Sovereign and Palps then swapped in Lord Kann. Sovereign attacked Kann, and Imperial Inquisitor used Turn to the Dark Side on Kann. I took the 20 damage and used Thought Bomb to kill most of his squad, my own Kel Dor, and his Palpatine. Revan and Zannah assalted and finished off the remaining 20 HP sovereigns.

Game 4 v.s Mike
Mike running Mandos Captain, Scouts with Cassus Fett
Squad; mostly all living, no force users, no immunity, less than 80 hitpoints.
Exar Spirit went first and moved out to Dark Aura. Scouts moved up and shot up Zannah. Revan ran to the middle of his tile and swapped in Lord Kann for Thought Bomb. Afterward, two scouts with 10 HP remained. Revan and Zannah finished off scouts.

Ironically, the squad I threw together in a minute won a regional event and the squad I spent a month designing and play testing faced nothing but shooters who shot it up all day!

TimmerB123
Posted: Tuesday, June 19, 2012 11:35:24 AM

"hinkbert" wrote:
Fantastic Four Tile Wars Results

On Friday night we ran a Tile Wars tourny with 5 players. The squads were:

Hinkbert: Marka Ragnos, Revan, Zannah, Exar DFS on Control Car
Darph Nader: GMLS, Ganner, Kyp, HK-47 on Detention Block
Jak: GMLS, Vergere, Jacen, R2-P0 on Empty Car
Juiceman: 2x Nightsister Rancors, Durge, Whorm on Detention Block
Nader's Son: Vader Legacy, Anteres Drace, AT-ST, Blizzard Scout

I won the tourny and here's a quick rundown.

1st round vs Jak
I set up Dark Aura first round, and at the beginning of round 2 I killed R2-P0 and Vergere, then I started on Jacen. By the end of the 3rd round he only had GMLS left, and his ability to Djem was severly nerfed by Exar so my guys took him down easily.

2nd round vs Juiceman
With my guys only being melee Joe was able to keep Whorm and Durge behind his 2 Rancors. So I set up Dark Aura again and have to wear down his Rancors with my guys, while surviving his durge assault. He was able to get Ragnos, while I killed the first Rancor. I then corrupted the rest of his guys and continued to wear down his 2nd rancor. Thankfully Zannah sent a shot back to Durge with LCE and I was able to kill Durge with a severly wounded Zannah and Revan.

3rd (final) round vs Nader
I made a huge error by putting Zannah and Marka next to each other at the edge of my tile. Nader had set up his 4 guys together, so I was gonna use sith sorcery, then trigger a corruption with Zannah via Marka's ce. I forgot that HK had disruptive (even though I suggested the piece to Nader, d'oh). So I just did corruption (which proved to be huge). He then activated Kyp and used FP5 doing 30 to Zannah (she used bubble) and 50 to Marka who was then activated. I then screwed up again and sent Revan to far in, and he levitated GMLS adjacent to Revan and tore him up. Thankfully through out the game GMLS failed his corruption save (thanks Dark Aura) and took a total of 120 damage. So at the end it comes down to Luke with 30 left, HK with 40, Zannah with i think half health and Exar. I decided to take down HK (I don't know why, I guess I thought GMLS would get corrupted again). So I took out HK, Nader won init, made his save and went after Zannah. She used soresu on the first attack, and then GMLS rolled a 20. Then, wait for it.......Zannah rolls a 20 right back, triggering LCE, and Luke goes down.

So, that was Fantastic Four Tile Wars, and this was the first time I played TW irl and it was super fun. Fantastic Four was a superb choice for this format imo, and I hope to play it again soon.

TimmerB123
Posted: Tuesday, August 14, 2012 9:54:50 AM

Bump.

TILE WARS at GenCon - 5:00pm Sat night!
DARPH NADER
Posted: Tuesday, August 14, 2012 1:31:20 PM

TimmerB123 wrote:
Bump.

Assuming this means there's still room, Jak and I plan on signing up on site.
countrydude82487
Posted: Tuesday, August 14, 2012 4:09:17 PM

TimmerB123 wrote:
Bump.

it will be epic and awesome.

Here is a pic of the tile box for the champion.