RegisterDonateLogin

Has the droids you're looking for.

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Members

Do you want to be a moderator? Options
billiv15
Posted: Friday, September 25, 2009 7:59:53 AM
Groups: Member

joelker41 wrote:
I will throw my hat in. I was going to be a mod on the Wizkids forums for HeroClix (forums that got roughly 10 times the traffic this one gets easily) before the company went under, and I am a Mod at Gamers (which admittedly there are a ton of).

I post logically, check the Forums daily, and know the mood of the forums here.

I agree wholeheartedly that moderation is needed. I of course would think ChuckaFett is a good pick since you and I both know him and he is probably in the top 3 or so of the most courteous and kind people I have met in Minis.

Plus if ya ever need to slap me down ya know where I game! ;)

I support this person as a mod.
kenred2
Posted: Friday, September 25, 2009 8:14:33 AM

Not that I am against anybody here, but if you find this post hurting your credibility, I am very very sorry.
To me, I just feel moderators shouldn't be from SWMgamers, mainly because I've seen posts where territorial in sharing information becomes a huge factor of an issue (aka.. Spoilers). Not only that, they told the people here to delete the information that came from Gamers and most likely to delete future posts from spoilers of Gamers from here, and that restriction of information and convenience reflects our ability to enjoy information passed onto us and talk about it as we please. I'm not against Gamers, I really like their forums, but to be selfish with the information about sharing future spoiler sets and enforce people to go to Gamers, that to me just isn't right (and I assume that if they become moderators, they would delete the post and enforce them to go to Gamers for info). I go there because the community is just as good as here, but no one should have the right to be selfish with "free information." I support Bloomilk wholeheartedly, because I believe this community can help many people here who are new to playing SWM. Because of the program "create a squad"... it allows newer people to see the information that they are not familiar with and allows them to create and share the squad as they please. I believe information that's passed here from bloomilk should definitely be shared to Gamers, because we here should at least support it as well. I wanted to make sure that this community will continue to be a fun, safe environment without such restrictions. And I also feel that if someone posted "spoiler information from the original poster"... credit them for their kindness and if possible, go through the extra mile for "permission" to ensure honest, mutual understanding.

EDIT-I feel moderation from SWMgamers has nothing to do with finding out who is good for the job... instead, I'd would refrain my statement about "moderators shouldn't be from SWMgamers"... because it all comes down to people who'd understand not to abuse their power directly. I may not be up to the task, but I really hope to see Bloomilk get's it's recognition, like SWMgamers.
Mandalore Da Beast
Posted: Friday, September 25, 2009 8:19:39 AM

Kenred has hit 2 Homeruns today.
he has my support as a Moderator, hands down.
Sithborg
Posted: Friday, September 25, 2009 8:49:36 AM
Groups: Member , Moderator, Rules Guy

sigh

And those opinions are what we don't need as a moderator. That is the exact reason I am hesitant to be a mod in General. I have a rocky past with quite a few people on Gamers, and I feel that might make them even more hesitant to post than what they already seem to be. I don't think a mod who respect's Gamer's rules is a bad thing. As a mod, I likely wouldn't have immediately removed the stats, but talked to the poster to try to convince them to edit it himself. My post in the thread is quite interesting if you knew the past. At worse, a link would've been edited in, especially if a big wig from gamers asked for it to happen. Shinja respects them enough to not automatically post the stats in the builder, so why is it a big deal for others to respect them.
death by wookie 89
Posted: Friday, September 25, 2009 8:50:11 AM

Kented also has my support why should we not get gamers spoilers it's all ment for the same reasons
joelker41
Posted: Friday, September 25, 2009 9:25:25 AM

kenred2 wrote:
Not that I am against anybody here, but if you find this post hurting your credibility, I am very very sorry.
To me, I just feel moderators shouldn't be from SWMgamers, mainly because I've seen posts where territorial in sharing information becomes a huge factor of an issue (aka.. Spoilers). Not only that, they told the people here to delete the information that came from Gamers and most likely to delete future posts from spoilers of Gamers from here, and that restriction of information and convenience reflects our ability to enjoy information passed onto us and talk about it as we please. I'm not against Gamers, I really like their forums, but to be selfish with the information about sharing future spoiler sets and enforce people to go to Gamers, that to me just isn't right (and I assume that if they become moderators, they would delete the post and enforce them to go to Gamers for info). I go there because the community is just as good as here, but no one should have the right to be selfish with "free information." I support Bloomilk wholeheartedly, because I believe this community can help many people here who are new to playing SWM. Because of the program "create a squad"... it allows newer people to see the information that they are not familiar with and allows them to create and share the squad as they please. I believe information that's passed here from bloomilk should definitely be shared to Gamers, because we here should at least support it as well. I wanted to make sure that this community will continue to be a fun, safe environment without such restrictions.

This post has nothing to do with this thread IMO.

I am not 'from' Gamers lol....I only joined Gamers earlier this year. I was on Bloomilk for almost a year before I started posting on Gamers.

I have contacts, friends, and history with both sites, and as you said the Minis community includes us.

It takes a whopping 2 minutes (literally, you can time it) to make a Gamers account if you want to view stuff over there that is really easy to achieve.

Having Mods who are on both sites doesn't create precedence or favoritism I post here and there equally, I have many more posts here.

Isolating a site in which MANY people on here have an account on is silly. That drives a wedge into the SWM community at large if you isolate 1 community from another, and worse of all, people will just leave one for the other as many already have on both sites.
Mandalore Da Beast
Posted: Friday, September 25, 2009 9:27:29 AM

another valid point.
billiv15
Posted: Friday, September 25, 2009 9:38:48 AM

Sithborg wrote:
sigh

And those opinions are what we don't need as a moderator. That is the exact reason I am hesitant to be a mod in General. I have a rocky past with quite a few people on Gamers, and I feel that might make them even more hesitant to post than what they already seem to be. I don't think a mod who respect's Gamer's rules is a bad thing. As a mod, I likely wouldn't have immediately removed the stats, but talked to the poster to try to convince them to edit it himself. My post in the thread is quite interesting if you knew the past. At worse, a link would've been edited in, especially if a big wig from gamers asked for it to happen. Shinja respects them enough to not automatically post the stats in the builder, so why is it a big deal for others to respect them.

I also support this person as a mod.
billiv15
Posted: Friday, September 25, 2009 9:41:14 AM

death by wookie 89 wrote:
Kented also has my support why should we not get gamers spoilers it's all ment for the same reasons

There are a lot of reasons, none of which require you agreeing with them to apply anyways.

There are rules that apply to all spoilers posted on Gamers. If you don't understand the rules, or why they are in place, that's ok. But point blank stating that people should violate them, is wrong.
dnemiller
Posted: Friday, September 25, 2009 9:46:19 AM

kenred2 wrote:
To me, I just feel moderators shouldn't be from SWMgamers, mainly because I've seen posts where territorial in sharing information becomes a huge factor of an issue (aka.. Spoilers). Not only that, they told the people here to delete the information that came from Gamers and most likely to delete future posts from spoilers of Gamers from here, and that restriction of information and convenience reflects our ability to enjoy information passed onto us and talk about it as we please. I'm not against Gamers, I really like their forums, but to be selfish with the information about sharing future spoiler sets and enforce people to go to Gamers, that to me just isn't right (and I assume that if they become moderators, they would delete the post and enforce them to go to Gamers for info). I go there because the community is just as good as here, but no one should have the right to be selfish with "free information." I support Bloomilk wholeheartedly, because I believe this community can help many people here who are new to playing SWM. Because of the program "create a squad"... it allows newer people to see the information that they are not familiar with and allows them to create and share the squad as they please. I believe information that's passed here from bloomilk should definitely be shared to Gamers, because we here should at least support it as well. I wanted to make sure that this community will continue to be a fun, safe environment without such restrictions. And I also feel that if someone posted "spoiler information from the original poster"... credit them for their kindness and if possible, go through the extra mile for "permission" to ensure honest, mutual understanding.

Well Kenred2 really you should ask or try to get some history before posting something like it is a fact.

Spoiler info at Gamers has been protected for two reason neither of which you know about or choose to ignore.

1. We protect the spoiler info we have gotten in the past per the person from overseas who was giving the info. Remember Force Unleashed being spoiled. Well we tend to honor that agreement with the person because we wanted the info.

2. We have asked people to not take credit for info. This has been due to some people being rather rude and involved Wizards. It has never involved Bloomilk and I would have zero problems sharing anything with Aaron. I dont feel I have too because Aaron get the info up quickly sometimes within seconds of us getting it. What we do ask if you are going to spread the spoiler info ask the person who got the info. If you find that rude or too much to ask well I am sorry I consider it common courtesy.

I find it totally disappointing to read comments like this from you Ken.

What really is funny is that you guys find it ok to say things about gamers on here quite regularly. If you go to Gamers I doubt you will find anything disparraging about bloomilk written there.

So please lay off the Gamers is restrictive and we are so nice here. Really if you check threads here for the things that have been said about Gamers versus anything being said negative about Bloomilk I think you would find it somewhat embarrassing. So please this is not a Gamers vs Bloomilk choice when it comes to a moderator.

Choosing a moderator should come down to experience and maturity to handle the job. It doesnt matter whether that person is a VCL on wizards, a mod on gamers or an admin on the force.net. You need someone that can and will do an objective job.

I for one would be happy to see either Joelker or Sithborg named moderator
kenred2
Posted: Friday, September 25, 2009 9:49:36 AM

billiv15 wrote:

There are a lot of reasons, none of which require you agreeing with them to apply anyways.

There are rules that apply to all spoilers posted on Gamers. If you don't understand the rules, or why they are in place, that's ok. But point blank stating that people should violate them, is wrong.

I've read about those rules from Lobostele... and 1 thing to keep in mind is to have written rules about "sharing such information".... and that giving credibility to the person who posted these spoilers and asking for permission to post the info here, should definitely be emphasized. But to see where people been forcing them to go to Gamers for info, just isn't right unless the rules of granting permission and credibility is met, then there shouldn't be any problem to see that information on here.
billiv15
Posted: Friday, September 25, 2009 9:51:29 AM

For those that don't know, the rule on Gamers is simple. Ask the OP who posted it for permission before sharing it with other sites. I don't see any major issues sharing with Aaron and Bloomilk other than this one small concern. On Gamers, people sometimes post sensitive information that they don't want leaking to WotC. They will post as such. Sometimes other people ignore that piece, and post it as if it were free knowledge elsewhere, without the important caveats. Then another person runs to WotC with it. Not a big deal in actuality, but can be in some cases. Anyways, as long as you ask the OP for permission, you are fine to post it any time.

Edit - I forgot the critical piece. We also ask the exact same thing for people posting information on Gamers from other sites. Get the OP's permission to share it, and credit them with the information when you get it. Neither always happens in either case, but that isn't really the point. The point is making sure our ability to both get and share early information is always intact :)
billiv15
Posted: Friday, September 25, 2009 9:53:26 AM

kenred2 wrote:
billiv15 wrote:

I've read about those rules from Lobostele... and 1 thing to keep in mind is to have written rules about "sharing such information".... and that giving credibility to the person who posted these spoilers and asking for permission to post the info here, should definitely be emphasized. But to see where people been forcing them to go to Gamers for info, just isn't right unless the rules of granting permission and credibility is met, then there shouldn't be any problem to see that information on here.

Again, doesn't matter if you agree or not. We decided on those rules and intend to keep them as is. I suggest if you want to debate those rules, do so in another thread, or on Gamers, or via PM. We are way off topic :)
kenred2
Posted: Friday, September 25, 2009 10:00:15 AM

dnemiller wrote:
kenred2 wrote:

Well Kenred2 really you should ask or try to get some history before posting something like it is a fact.

Spoiler info at Gamers has been protected for two reason neither of which you know about or choose to ignore.

1. We protect the spoiler info we have gotten in the past per the person from overseas who was giving the info. Remember Force Unleashed being spoiled. Well we tend to honor that agreement with the person because we wanted the info.

2. We have asked people to not take credit for info. This has been due to some people being rather rude and involved Wizards. It has never involved Bloomilk and I would have zero problems sharing anything with Aaron. I dont feel I have too because Aaron get the info up quickly sometimes within seconds of us getting it. What we do ask if you are going to spread the spoiler info ask the person who got the info. If you find that rude or too much to ask well I am sorry I consider it common courtesy.

I find it totally disappointing to read comments like this from you Ken.

What really is funny is that you guys find it ok to say things about gamers on here quite regularly. If you go to Gamers I doubt you will find anything disparraging about bloomilk written there.

So please lay off the Gamers is restrictive and we are so nice here. Really if you check threads here for the things that have been said about Gamers versus anything being said negative about Bloomilk I think you would find it somewhat embarrassing. So please this is not a Gamers vs Bloomilk choice when it comes to a moderator.

Choosing a moderator should come down to experience and maturity to handle the job. It doesnt matter whether that person is a VCL on wizards, a mod on gamers or an admin on the force.net. You need someone that can and will do an objective job.

I for one would be happy to see either Joelker or Sithborg named moderator

Dean, there is no question that I have my highest respect for you. And I believe courtesy in handling such information should be used with permission from the original poster, to either be granted or denied by that poster (if the information is denied by the poster, then they should provide a link to that site). I don't want to see Bloomilk vs SWMgamers, but instead to see them both on a scale that helps many people, keeping the community growing... because both sites have wonderful resources, and both have different applications. I don't want you to think otherwise about the way I post, it may sound immature, but as you know, it's an opinion and that's how I felt before. I don't want to see moderation where it deletes post without any relevance as to why like the WOTC boards. If you want to talk about it, I'll be on Skype.... Moderation does come down with maturity and experience to handle the job, it's the same as being a TO and a Judge at the LGS.... if the original poster feels that the person here shouldn't post his/her information, then I respect that original poster and hope to see that stolen info be deleted. It all comes down to granting shared information, but not forcing to go see the info.... unless it's the last option is met if the Original poster denied sharing such info.
DarthJak
Posted: Friday, September 25, 2009 10:05:11 AM

billiv15 wrote:
We are way off topic :)

You got that right billiThumpUp
All shinjaBlooMilk wanted was to know if any one would like to volunteer to moderate the threads.
It is become another thread were members are getting irritated with each other, and it's high time we all step back and focus on the original subject.

please, before it gets way out of hand.
mercenary_moose
Posted: Friday, September 25, 2009 10:10:37 AM

I barely have time to go on Bloo Milk anymore, so I'm not doing any modding.

Anyway, I think that there should be an option to "impeach" a mod if we don't think he is doing a good job. Something like a 3/4 vote, plus shinja's approval. This might keep the moderator(s) from going all WOTC on us.
Zalkrie
Posted: Friday, September 25, 2009 10:18:55 AM

My vote would be for the people listed below:

Chuckafett
Joelker41
Sithborg
Klecser

They are all level headed and even handed and they all take the time to explain things when asked. Even tempered individuals and don't seem to take things personally.
kenred2
Posted: Friday, September 25, 2009 10:23:09 AM

billiv15 wrote:

Again, doesn't matter if you agree or not. We decided on those rules and intend to keep them as is. I suggest if you want to debate those rules, do so in another thread, or on Gamers, or via PM. We are way off topic :)

I really do not wish to debate on the subject, instead I too feel it's a little off topic... but my point is pretty straight forward, moderation is needed to keep the site running smoothly, and I feel that choices is up for the mod to know what/which posts to delete. As an example explained before, if the information is up from Gamers and someone post that information on here, it shouldn't be deleted, unless the terms of the Original poster have not been met, and addresses that thread to be deleted, will be granted. But I also feel forcing people to go to Gamers is not the way to go, I think it should be expressed as a last option if the information is restricted by the Original Poster. So with that said, moderation comes from how well you know the situation and do the best to keep the forums safe/fun/active, having to delete threads without any info raises question on potential abuse of power (and that I do not wish to see).
Partof1
Posted: Friday, September 25, 2009 10:29:37 AM

mercenary_moose wrote:

Anyway, I think that there should be an option to "impeach" a mod if we don't think he is doing a good job. Something like a 3/4 vote, plus shinja's approval. This might keep the moderator(s) from going all WOTC on us.

I don't think this would help. I think there are groups of friends here that would vote with them arbitrarily if one doesn't like a Mod. If something gets out of hand, Shinja is pretty active here anyway, and would most likely see the problem without a voting system.
dnemiller
Posted: Friday, September 25, 2009 10:46:20 AM

Partof1 wrote:
mercenary_moose wrote:

I don't think this would help. I think there are groups of friends here that would vote with them arbitrarily if one doesn't like a Mod. If something gets out of hand, Shinja is pretty active here anyway, and would most likely see the problem without a voting system.

I agree. A mods job is not to be popular but to protect the interest of the site and its members. The mods only approval rating that will matter will be with Shinja. If Shinja is happy with his choice for mod then that is all that matters.