RegisterDonateLogin

Crit to hit.

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Members

Wizards Preview 4 Options
Tirade
Posted: Tuesday, October 6, 2009 12:11:17 PM
Groups: Member

Too expensive for what he does. Sithborg mentions access to Grievous. Well that's fine and dandy, but you are going to be paying big to get that combo of Grievous DAC and Wat. That's 100 there. Toss in San and a BDO and you are sitting at 119. If you are into more tech, you could include Gha. However, you are now at 130. Just doesn't seem worth it. Those final 70 points can't really be spent on heavy hitters. You need activations to balance out the squad. So you are basically relying on his Reserves for your meat. Not good.
Volvagia14
Posted: Tuesday, October 6, 2009 12:14:34 PM

this Wat and GG, DAC make a DD...
Jediabiwan
Posted: Tuesday, October 6, 2009 1:28:00 PM

Volvagia14 wrote:
this Wat and GG, DAC make a DD...

Yeah....not so much. Would be really fun to run as a regular 100 point squad though, relies entirely on luck.
mercenary_moose
Posted: Tuesday, October 6, 2009 1:53:21 PM

Sep Kazdan. I'm lovin' this dude.
Jediabiwan
Posted: Tuesday, October 6, 2009 1:56:34 PM

mercenary_moose wrote:

Finally, someone who doesn't hate him. I love him too, almost thought he was TOO good at first. I really like reserves squadsBigGrin .
Tirade
Posted: Tuesday, October 6, 2009 1:57:09 PM

mercenary_moose wrote:

Well have fun. You're probably in the minority. Most people, from what I've read, are less than excited. He's about 5-7 points overpriced (and boring to boot).
Sithborg
Posted: Tuesday, October 6, 2009 2:21:34 PM
Groups: Member , Moderator, Rules Guy

Tirade wrote:
Too expensive for what he does. Sithborg mentions access to Grievous. Well that's fine and dandy, but you are going to be paying big to get that combo of Grievous DAC and Wat. That's 100 there. Toss in San and a BDO and you are sitting at 119. If you are into more tech, you could include Gha. However, you are now at 130. Just doesn't seem worth it. Those final 70 points can't really be spent on heavy hitters. You need activations to balance out the squad. So you are basically relying on his Reserves for your meat. Not good.

And this is different than Kazdan, how? You are spending roughly equal amount of points to maximize the chance to pull of Reserves for Kazdan. The main difference, is with Wat, you have already maximized what will be brought in, rather than having to waste 1 or 2 Reserves to make what he brings in effective.

No one is making the top tier claims. He is a fun piece in the same vein as Kazdan. They are different pieces, with different synergies. Immediate Droid Reserves 20 is a much better ability for the Sep faction than Immediate Droid Reserves 30 in a Republic or Rebel squad for a wide variety of reasons.
Hydrowhip
Posted: Tuesday, October 6, 2009 3:54:13 PM

For all those who are less than impressed, keep me in mind when you get your GAW boosters / cases. I'll be happy to take him off your hands for cash or something I don't want from GAW, as in anything Republic.
billiv15
Posted: Tuesday, October 6, 2009 4:14:50 PM

It seems there may be a 20pt piece that makes him viable at 200 without GGDAC.
Tirade
Posted: Tuesday, October 6, 2009 4:29:28 PM

Sithborg wrote:
Tirade wrote:

And this is different than Kazdan, how? You are spending roughly equal amount of points to maximize the chance to pull of Reserves for Kazdan. The main difference, is with Wat, you have already maximized what will be brought in, rather than having to waste 1 or 2 Reserves to make what he brings in effective.

No one is making the top tier claims. He is a fun piece in the same vein as Kazdan. They are different pieces, with different synergies. Immediate Droid Reserves 20 is a much better ability for the Sep faction than Immediate Droid Reserves 30 in a Republic or Rebel squad for a wide variety of reasons.

And where did I say this was different from Kazdan? That's right, I didn't. I realize Wat is in the perfect faction for his IDR. However, that doesn't change the fact that I feel he's overcosted.

If you like IDR, he's fun. However, he's hardly anything new. That's some of my beef. Another retread of sorts with little to no creativity.
Tirade
Posted: Tuesday, October 6, 2009 4:30:16 PM

billiv15 wrote:

We shall see. One of the big aspects of Grievous is his boost to attack/defense, not just granting Twin.
Mickey
Posted: Wednesday, October 7, 2009 12:17:32 AM

It just make sense that new pieces are going to have some qualities of existing pieces. We can't expect WoTC to reinvent the game with each new piece or even each new set. I would bet my collection on the fact that if they did there would be an uproar from the community that the game was being changed too much. I'm actually quite pleased that each new set brings some new skill that puts more strategy into squad building and game play. Each new set changes the appeal of the factions that the pieces are made for.
Sithborg
Posted: Wednesday, October 7, 2009 2:27:14 AM
Groups: Member , Moderator, Rules Guy

billiv15 wrote:

To be fair, that piece makes EVERYTHING viable with Seperatists...

As for not being new, so? How many people have been wanting Immediate Droid Reserves for Seps since TFU?
LoboStele
Posted: Wednesday, October 7, 2009 2:38:41 AM

Tirade wrote:
billiv15 wrote:

We shall see. One of the big aspects of Grievous is his boost to attack/defense, not just granting Twin.

Eh, it's not like the IG-86 Droids really NEED that boost their Attack/Defense. They do pretty well without it, IMO. And with Wat's Repair 20, they can afford to move out, take a hit or two, then scurry back and heal up. With Gha in the squad as well, that's even more healing. I think Wat + Whorm will be a very nice combo. Still maybe not top tier, but should be solid overall.

Sithborg wrote:
As for not being new, so? How many people have been wanting Immediate Droid Reserves for Seps since TFU?

Me!! :D

I really enjoy playing Kazdan. It's just plain fun. And the look on your opponent's face when you drop something nasty like IG-86's or Lancers right in their faces is priceless. Or, when you bring in 10 Mouse Droids on Round 1 just to even out the activation difference, lol. Wat will have to be played differently than Kazdan, but should still be lots of fun. I'll definitely use him. Again, maybe not top tier (possibly at 200), but certainly a dangerous piece in the right builds.
Hydrowhip
Posted: Wednesday, October 7, 2009 6:50:38 AM

I think he'll be a fun piece to play. He's got double the hit points over the old Wat plus evade and twin. That's pretty nice for 8 more points in cost.

It's going to be nice to run a Sep-squad without having to rely on a GG to be worth anything.
DarthReeves
Posted: Wednesday, October 7, 2009 7:34:01 AM

I don't play seps much, but I do play Kazdan often. I think that this is awesome for droid armies. He's a descent attacker and bringing in the reserves is going to be sweet. Well priced, very cool
Mandalore Da Beast
Posted: Wednesday, October 7, 2009 7:40:09 AM

running both him and GGDAC will cost me alot in activations for sure.
i dont want to go the route with throwing 8 battle droids in there just so i can get the activations ill need (Oldschool).
but the Immediate droid reserves is just plain sick.
im sure all of us who do run seps will figure something out.

is it me, or is running separatists like a seasonal thing?
i always find my self using them in the fall and winter.

......Bored
its probably just me.
maverick
Posted: Wednesday, October 7, 2009 1:39:19 PM

I still like the RotS Wat Tambor. And this one will find a place in my squads as well.
obsidian7788
Posted: Thursday, October 8, 2009 3:25:51 AM

im gonna throw in my lot. I like this character. I think he is a good addition to the seps. gotta think with that evade you don't have to keep him in the orner of your map. you can move him into an area where you can unleash your reserves with a greater effect and not have to worry moving those reserves form some obscure corner of the map to where you want them to be.
ken_watson76
Posted: Thursday, October 8, 2009 5:43:48 AM

Mandalore Da Beast wrote:

i dont want to go the route with throwing 8 battle droids in there just so i can get the activations ill need (Oldschool).

But with the right combo now, you can get a Battle Droid for 3 points that Twin Attacks at +8 for 20 Damage.

GGDAC 57
Wat 43
BDO 9
Gha 12
BDS 16
______
137 Points - which leaves plenty of room for said 3 point Battle Droids, and maybe even some other, more potent pieces. Heck, I'd even add Lobot CLO and still get a ton of them (16 of them would make 200).

I'd love to put together a Battle Droid squad. It would be hilarious.