RegisterDonateLogin

Otoh Gunga style

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Members

Jabba wasn't nerfed? Options
jen'ari
Posted: Monday, September 12, 2022 12:59:13 PM
Groups: Member

C'mon peeps. Was reading vassalcon. No thrawn.... Buy jabba wasn't nerfed?
Also how do you stop people from playing against the exact squad you are up against in the finals 10x before it is played?
TimmerB123
Posted: Monday, September 12, 2022 2:29:05 PM

jen'ari wrote:
Also how do you stop people from playing against the exact squad you are up against in the finals 10x before it is played?

Jabba was, but not enough. He was grossly overpowered, and they made a minor adjustment, but he’s still overpowered.
Caedus
Posted: Monday, September 12, 2022 2:59:45 PM

TimmerB123 wrote:
jen'ari wrote:

Jabba was, but not enough. He was grossly overpowered, and they made a minor adjustment, but he’s still overpowered.

To be fair Jabba wasn't nerfed. The EPIC Talzin disaster was just removed from the squad. Which then opened the Pandora's Box of how good Bib Fortuna actually is in that squad.

Tight Security= So you won a critical init and you have to go first, because if you don't, Boba Fett will kill you. However, joke is on you because your Jedi can see my Ugnaught and you can't move, so now Boba Fett will kill you.

Lookout= In case you forgot how Boba got into position to kill you, it was easy. Jabba's fat behind didn't move so the coward Bib-Fortuna the Major Dodo allowed Boba to move 6, because Potato. Well Lookout replaces attacks so why don't you move right into my hiding spot, Then we'll send out the "Top Notch" Security that is my 3 point Ugnaught and you'll be just fine.
TimmerB123
Posted: Monday, September 12, 2022 3:16:41 PM

I agree with your overall point, but you can’t play Jabba with ANY fringe commander now and still get his bonuses.

Talzin was the insane combo, there are still some others that could have been good.

Was it enough? No.

Jabba was just an incredibly poorly thought out design and ridiculously overpowered.

Bib Fortuna was also modified, but not nearly enough. It should’ve been that you can’t move any piece with bib Fortuna‘s commander affect more than once in a ROUND. But it ended up being that you can’t move any particular piece more than once in a PHASE, which is barely any detriment at all. You can still move to different pieces in a single phase, and then move those same two pieces again the next phase, and again, for as long as you have pieces in position to do so. You can still play the leapfrog game.

Regardless, it was never a problem before Jabba. Jabba was the issue from moment one, and still is.

And to be clear, that is not to take anything away from Joe (gandalfthegreateestwizard). It is a very well put together squad, and he has played it expertly

Cassus fett
Posted: Monday, September 12, 2022 4:02:36 PM

Sure see Talzin mentioned a lot. Anyone planning on taking a second pass over her? Especially considering the squads we’re seeing coming out of V-Set 24? (If you know, you know).
Caedus
Posted: Monday, September 12, 2022 4:44:03 PM

TimmerB123 wrote:

And to be clear, that is not to take anything away from Joe (gandalfthegreateestwizard). It is a very well put together squad, and he has played it expertly

100% The squad is great as much as the player
FlyingArrow
Posted: Monday, September 12, 2022 5:53:40 PM
Groups: Member , Moderator

TimmerB123 wrote:
Jabba was just an incredibly poorly thought out design

I'll disagree strongly with this statement. He's simply undercosted.

He has the elements necessary to be the base of a tier 1 squad, and he does it in a way that offers interesting squadbuilding options and new ways to play.

He may be undercosted by 10, 20, or 100, but he's at the cost where he landed after getting more PT than most pieces get these days. Bump him up to the appropriate cost and he's fine.
Udorian84
Posted: Monday, September 12, 2022 6:44:18 PM

I played against him and you are right Gandalf plays expertly so you don't know how much is just the player. But the amount of movement and protection from the movement that can happen is insane. With enough practice the movement is more than anything else. It needs a change of some sort. If people want to break it they would.
jen'ari
Posted: Monday, September 12, 2022 7:28:14 PM

I jumped lines of thought.

Vassalcon finals are not scheduled but but both people now know the exact squad and map the opponent is using. So if the finals occurs in say 10 days. What is stopping each from training against the exact squad during the time? It seems to me to be an issue
TimmerB123
Posted: Monday, September 12, 2022 8:35:27 PM

jen'ari wrote:

Vassalcon finals are not scheduled but but both people now know the exact squad and map the opponent is using. So if the finals occurs in say 10 days. What is stopping each from training against the exact squad during the time? It seems to me to be an issue

Both have the same option, so neither has an advantage.
UrbanShmi
Posted: Tuesday, September 13, 2022 2:33:44 AM

TimmerB123 wrote:
jen'ari wrote:

Not to mention, no one else is likely to play either squad as expertly as these two players. So while there's something to be said just for familiarity, in the end, any practice they could get is not likely to help that much in the actual game.

Also, the Gungan squads were a surprise, but they have been available for a LONG time. Gandalf's Jabba squad was public for weeks before the event, although of course we didn't know that was what he would play. So there's really nothing to have stopped either player from practicing against these squads BEFORE the event, either. But that would just have been preparation.

Anyway, if it makes for a more competitive final, or just one with fewer mistakes, because the players are fresher, that's a positive, in my book. While many of these events are really endurance contests, that shouldn't be the sole measure of who deserves to win.
jen'ari
Posted: Tuesday, September 13, 2022 4:02:55 AM

TimmerB123 wrote:
jen'ari wrote:

That is not true at all. One person might have free time for the next week and the other person might be backed up at work from taking the last 3 days off.
jen'ari
Posted: Tuesday, September 13, 2022 4:04:30 AM

UrbanShmi wrote:
TimmerB123 wrote:
jen'ari wrote:

Not to mention, no one else is likely to play either squad as expertly as these two players. So while there's something to be said just for familiarity, in the end, any practice they could get is not likely to help that much in the actual game.

Also, the Gungan squads were a surprise, but they have been available for a LONG time. Gandalf's Jabba squad was public for weeks before the event, although of course we didn't know that was what he would play. So there's really nothing to have stopped either player from practicing against these squads BEFORE the event, either. But that would just have been preparation.

Anyway, if it makes for a more competitive final, or just one with fewer mistakes, because the players are fresher, that's a positive, in my book. While many of these events are really endurance contests, that shouldn't be the sole measure of who deserves to win.

No, the reason why everyone is secretive about their squad is for the sole reason that they do not have time to practice against it. The little tweaks to a squad can make all the difference. Lobot reinforcements are not pressured, etc. Even your map choice is important. Especially, Jabba, whose ping pong effect is all important.
thereisnotry
Posted: Tuesday, September 13, 2022 7:27:27 AM

It wasn't just Jabba who needs to be addressed. In a conversation after their semifinal match, Gandalf and Timmer agreed that Timmer's squad (Talzin, Panaka, Padme, Silri, Hunter) would have a good chance of beating the Jabba squad if they could play it again. If Tim had won that match, you'd be talking about how Talzin needs to be addressed. I think they both do, in some way, and Bib too. But that conversation is for later.

As for the issue of one of the finalists getting extra practice time against the other's squad: this is really not a cutthroat competition. There is literally NOTHING on the line, no prize at all, other than the honor of being the Champion and getting to design a piece. The VassalCon Championship is certainly one of 3 the biggest events of the year (along with the other 2 Championships), but at this point in the game it's all about our enjoyment of the game and of exciting competition. Both competitors are excellent, stand-up guys, and both readily agreed to postponing the Final match until they could find a good time. Gandalf had to leave and offered to concede to Jason, but Jason said he wouldn't feel right about winning the Championship that way, since Gandalf beat Jason's squad so badly in the Swiss. I think you're making a mountain out of a molehill. The Final match will be fair and neither player will feel cheated by the other.
jen'ari
Posted: Tuesday, September 13, 2022 8:48:47 AM

thereisnotry wrote:
It wasn't just Jabba who needs to be addressed. In a conversation after their semifinal match, Gandalf and Timmer agreed that Timmer's squad (Talzin, Panaka, Padme, Silri, Hunter) would have a good chance of beating the Jabba squad if they could play it again. If Tim had won that match, you'd be talking about how Talzin needs to be addressed. I think they both do, in some way, and Bib too. But that conversation is for later.

As for the issue of one of the finalists getting extra practice time against the other's squad: this is really not a cutthroat competition. There is literally NOTHING on the line, no prize at all, other than the honor of being the Champion and getting to design a piece. The VassalCon Championship is certainly one of 3 the biggest events of the year (along with the other 2 Championships), but at this point in the game it's all about our enjoyment of the game and of exciting competition. Both competitors are excellent, stand-up guys, and both readily agreed to postponing the Final match until they could find a good time. Gandalf had to leave and offered to concede to Jason, but Jason said he wouldn't feel right about winning the Championship that way, since Gandalf beat Jason's squad so badly in the Swiss. I think you're making a mountain out of a molehill. The Final match will be fair and neither player will feel cheated by the other.

Timmerb always wants his squad to be important those after skirmish talks make him feel special. That squad is not as good as his last years Silri squad. Wasn't a problem last year, isn't this year. I don't think there is a single time Timmer has lost and not talked about how he could have won.

Jabba is an issue.

It is great that they are such great people that do not care about the possible advantage the other has. We shall see what happens. But if there is a way for UJ to win, he has a chance to find it in countless scenarios he can figure out with a ton of practice. The opportunity is there and that is not really a good look for a tournament. If everyone has conceded to the fact that nothing is competitive, then nothing really matters anymore. Keep Jabba, design Power 11 pieces, etc.

FlyingArrow
Posted: Tuesday, September 13, 2022 10:16:54 AM

thereisnotry wrote:
There is literally NOTHING on the line, no prize at all, other than the honor of being the Champion and getting to design a piece. The VassalCon Championship is certainly one of 3 the biggest events of the year (along with the other 2 Championships), but at this point in the game it's all about our enjoyment of the game and of exciting competition.

You understate the importance significantly. Winning VassalCon is an opportunity that only comes around once a year, and while you have won the top tournament plenty of times, there are several players who haven't and would love to. Three tournaments get to design a piece, but VassalCon is pretty clearly the biggest of the 3. It's the only one that brings in players from around the world.
Udorian84
Posted: Tuesday, September 13, 2022 10:25:22 AM

I was under the impression that VassalCon was a huge deal. I kind of agree with Jen'ari on the fact that it is odd, but at the same time it is what it is. Maybe in the future there can be an agreement beforehand. It seems like the finals always end up on a different day anyway. Maybe start at 1 next time? Or state that finals will be on a different day from the start. It just brings more consistency and legitimacy to the tournament in my opinion. I loved Vassalcon. It was straight forward and people "took no prisoners" while still being congenial. It is a great atmosphere to play in.
UrbanShmi
Posted: Tuesday, September 13, 2022 10:31:37 AM

We started when we did to accommodate those players from around the world. If we started at 1, Gandalf would almost certainly not have been able to play. And yes that is just one player, but in the past, we've had 6-8 New Zealanders and 19 players. So it's important that the opportunity is there.
Udorian84
Posted: Tuesday, September 13, 2022 11:18:45 AM

UrbanShmi wrote:
We started when we did to accommodate those players from around the world. If we started at 1, Gandalf would almost certainly not have been able to play. And yes that is just one player, but in the past, we've had 6-8 New Zealanders and 19 players. So it's important that the opportunity is there.

That solves that! It was great to play with someone from NZ! Thanks for making that happen and being on top of the timing. Didn't even think about it.
DarthMaim
Posted: Tuesday, September 20, 2022 2:14:37 AM

TimmerB123 wrote:
jen'ari wrote:

+1.