RegisterDonateLogin

Did you ever hear the tragedy of Darth Milk the Bloo?

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Members

One Less DCI Player.... Options
mmorris
Posted: Tuesday, October 20, 2009 3:40:29 PM
Groups: Member

Personally I think its a good thing that droids are getting more powerful. I was getting tired of rebels and republic winning every game. The Seps don't have many options outside of droids, so making droids more powerful is the only way to bring balance to the game. What LandShark is saying about shooters (particularly droids) being overpowered is accurate, but I think necessary. And Boba Fett Bounty Hunter has been around forever and that piece of plastic still pisses me off! Lol!
billiv15
Posted: Tuesday, October 20, 2009 4:06:10 PM

LandShark wrote:
After the last 4 sets, I am done playing Star Wars Minis competitivley. In my opinion SWM has taken a turn for the worst. The new normal for a shooter is 120dmg from across the map, yet the normal for a Jedi is still roughly 40dmg (which requires being adjacent).

Yeah for more posts being deleted. It isn't "tough talk", it's facts. You don't play much DCI, Dean just showed it. You admitted you play on "casual night". Even on the once a month competitive DCI tournaments at that store, Nickname has said for years they aren't all that competitive in terms of squads. And you've played in 5 tournaments....

Those are facts.

Further, you did in fact make this same exact thread about 2 months ago on Gamers, and used it as a get me off of the edge type of crying out. So here we are again, that's a fact. Further, you admitted that the "point" of this thread was to do exactly what you wanted from the last one, to calm your rant and find like minded people to play with. If that's what you want, ask for that, don't post this garbage.

After Gencon, you told everyone how boring it would have been to play in that meta, when you have never been apart of it. That too, is a fact.

Finally, you state that 120 dmg from non-melee is normative, and 40 from melee is also. Neither of those statements is true. By all means, give us your proof.

I am so sick of these grandstanding posts based on untruths. You know why I hate this crap so much? Because it reflects badly on the game and on the community. It's irresponsible and ignores the reality that things posted on the internet as opinions, become "facts" when stated often enough. Take some darn responsibility for your comments and post accurately to what you want. This entire thread should be deleted.

Yames2.0
Posted: Tuesday, October 20, 2009 4:20:04 PM

billiv15 wrote:
LandShark wrote:
After the last 4 sets, I am done playing Star Wars Minis competitivley. In my opinion SWM has taken a turn for the worst. The new normal for a shooter is 120dmg from across the map, yet the normal for a Jedi is still roughly 40dmg (which requires being adjacent).

Yeah for more posts being deleted. It isn't "tough talk", it's facts. You don't play much DCI, Dean just showed it. You admitted you play on "casual night". Even on the once a month competitive DCI tournaments at that store, Nickname has said for years they aren't all that competitive in terms of squads. And you've played in 5 tournaments....

Those are facts.

Further, you did in fact make this same exact thread about 2 months ago on Gamers, and used it as a get me off of the edge type of crying out. So here we are again, that's a fact. Further, you admitted that the "point" of this thread was to do exactly what you wanted from the last one, to calm your rant and find like minded people to play with. If that's what you want, ask for that, don't post this garbage.

After Gencon, you told everyone how boring it would have been to play in that meta, when you have never been apart of it. That too, is a fact.

Finally, you state that 120 dmg from non-melee is normative, and 40 from melee is also. Neither of those statements is true. By all means, give us your proof.

I am so sick of these grandstanding posts based on untruths. You know why I hate this crap so much? Because it reflects badly on the game and on the community. It's irresponsible and ignores the reality that things posted on the internet as opinions, become "facts" when stated often enough. Take some darn responsibility for your comments and post accurately to what you want. This entire thread should be deleted.

i see your point but honestly is it worth the effort to say all this (and yea i know its just typeing but serisuly its not even worth that effort...) can you plz take this to pms i dont realy like checking a topic with a bunch of new post to find out its just more fights...

and im not aiming this at you billy just in genrel urs was just the last post so easyest to push quote on lol
harmonm4
Posted: Tuesday, October 20, 2009 4:24:55 PM

Yames2.0 wrote:
billiv15 wrote:
LandShark wrote:

Those are facts.

i see your point but honestly is it worth the effort to say all this (and yea i know its just typeing but serisuly its not even worth that effort...) can you plz take this to pms i dont realy like checking a topic with a bunch of new post to find out its just more fights...

and im not aiming this at you billy just in genrel urs was just the last post so easyest to push quote on lol

What Bill wrote is actually very appropriate for anyone who is reading this post to see. He stated it very well, and it's true, people need to stop tainting the SWM community and game with posts like this. I also hope this post and any other posts that are stated that give a negative rap on the game are deleted so they don't affect the gamers who do enjoy playing.
imyurhukaberry
Posted: Wednesday, October 21, 2009 12:29:21 AM
Groups: Member , Moderator

What happened to the First Amendment?

Not every post has to have a positive spin on it. If someone wants to post they are quitting a game, for whatever reason, then by all means. I see no problem with it. Its a open forum for a reason. However, I would hope people in this community would offer positive suggestions on why to keep playing or how to have fun with the newer sets. Help the player understand where the game is going and why it's going that way. If they don't agree, that's their right and they can stick to their original opinion/thought.

I will agree with one point made: facts to support your statements. When stating something as a fact, you should always follow it up with supporting proof. Otherwise it's just an opinion or rumor and should be stated as such.
billiv15
Posted: Wednesday, October 21, 2009 2:07:24 AM

Imyurhukaberry wrote:

What happened to the First Amendment?

It doesn't apply. The message boards are privately owned.

Further, I am talking about "responsible posting" not taking away someone's rights. The "this entire thread should be deleted" was a tongue in cheek commentary.

Point is, I've seen way too much of this lately. And if you don't see that these posts are the type directly contributing to the board attitudes of "the game is dying" right now, then I suggest you look again.

Internet type is powerful. People believe it, even when it's an "opinion". The more it is stated, the more it becomes "fact". I've seen plenty of internet rumors become fact in the past to deny this reality.

So we as gamers, and SWMs players have an obligation to post responsibly and not take liberties with our rights. I don't know Landshark's primary motivation for posting this, but I can guess pretty well at them given the things I posted above about him.

Either way, a thread like this makes the game and the community look bad, and it's not coming just from one guy's personal opinion, it's coming from a guy who has misrepresented his experience to make an attack on the DCI game.

So I used my rights to post counter points to challenge his authority to make the claims he was trying to make. That too, is equally protected speech. (Although the mods can remove it regardless if they so desire).
LoboStele
Posted: Wednesday, October 21, 2009 2:30:14 AM

I don't much care to get involved in the "how we should post" part of the discussion beyond the point of saying....we all need to be careful about what we post, and how we post it. Don't hide behind the anonymity of the keyboard. As Bill said, take responsibility for your posts. Have facts to back up the statements you make.

I just wanted to address one thing stated earlier in the thread.

Shado Vao only equals 3 IG-86's, not 4. And if you do Shado straight up against 3 IG-86's, he's actually stand a somewhat decent chance. The IG's need 9's to hit him at any point in time, 13's if he can manage to keep in cover while approaching. Then he's still got Deflect to help keep him alive. Plus, Shado has enough hit points to withstand 4-5 shots (depending on Opportunist). If the Droids aren't back up by Grievous, it really isn't that much of a challenge.

Now...if you want to start talking about IG-86's pumped up by Greivous...well, now you're talking squads. For the cost of Grievous and one IG-86, you could run both Shado and Leia Skywalker JK. Now, Shado gets double-rerolls against the IG's shots when he uses Deflect. And with only 1 IG-86, you just play carefully, advancing Shado behind walls and such, until you're at a point where you can pounce on the IG-86. A well played game should see Shado take no more than 2 hits from an IG-86 in that kind of match up.

Now, expand that to a full squad of Greivous and several IG-86's, a Battle Droid Officer, etc....Well, if you insist on playing NR, then you have plenty of great options. Han GH can kill an IG-86 in two shots with Cunning and decent rolls. Mara Jedi can sit in cover at a distance and never be hit. GMLS can do a pretty decent number on IG-86's. Dodonna is immensely helpful in that kind of matchup to try and keep the IG's from getting Opportunist. Shado still works great here. Heck, Kyle JBM with Wedge and a Twi'lek Black Sun Vigo can be awesome as well, since Kyle can kill an IG with Greater Mobile + Tripple from 8 squares out AND take away Grievous' CE at the same time.

There's plenty of ways to work around the shooters. Yes, the game is slightly skewed in favor of shooters, and a lot of that has to do with maps right now too. But I really don't think it's as bad as you make it sound. We had people in our play group consistently playing droids for a while, and it got frustrating. It just takes finding the right counter to consistently beat their droids, and they'll start trying other things.
imyurhukaberry
Posted: Wednesday, October 21, 2009 3:19:35 AM

Bill,
I see your points and appreciate them.

Freedom of Speech works both ways, as was stated. Counter posts are to be expected when someone posts anything. The poster has to expect that and not get upset/agitated when someone else does not agree with their opinion. As long as they are not attacking someone or baiting them into a direct personal arguement, then by all means debate issues at hand. BlooMilk

ps...I have noticed the amount of "negative" posts lately, on each of the SWM sites, towards the game and it's future. Heck, we have 2 guys in our group bowing out and selling their whole collections. Sad, but their decision and I will always back them on it.

I for one am enjoying the game and how it's going. I personally do not like "power-creep", but also understand the game needs to make money to keep going. I miss the days of single attackers and troopers having to combine fire to hit Jedi, ahh those were good days.

"Escalation. We buy semi-automatics, they buy automatics." -Gordon
Zalkrie
Posted: Wednesday, October 21, 2009 3:55:39 AM

LoboStele wrote:
I don't much care to get involved in the "how we should post" part of the discussion beyond the point of saying....we all need to be careful about what we post, and how we post it. Don't hide behind the anonymity of the keyboard. As Bill said, take responsibility for your posts. Have facts to back up the statements you make.

Aaron....you are a voice of reason.......
Mandalore Da Beast
Posted: Wednesday, October 21, 2009 5:44:43 AM

i see where Sharkie is coming from.
you build a squad that is to your liking, and then in a new set, your squads achilles heel is introduced. but thats the nature of the beast.
in order for this game to stay alive, new things have to be brought to the table.
the trick is to tweak around weaknesses, and in the long run, it makes for better squad building.
regardless if a site is private or not, all of us have the freedoms to write what we see fit, as long as it doesnt fall in the disrespectful category.
if sharkie wants to write that he wants out, let him do it, even if he does 3 times a week (though that would be "trolling"). i think hes looking for opinions on what he should do with the matter, and with us being a "community", we should be respectful and give our insight. thats us being "responsible" posters.
if you have a negative opinion, keep it to yourself.
alot of this negative stuff that comes out of you Bill needs to stop.
its almost like you want to pick fights with people so you can get the Mods involved. its childish and petty, and im speaking from experience when it comes to you.
The kid is frustrated with what is happening with the game, and i can see where he is coming from.
instead of ridiculing him for what he posts, why not try to help him out? is it really necessary to be rude to people when they type things that you dont agree with?
Joelker and i got it into it once (and i dont mean to name drop), it got really bad, but at the end, we became chummy and he showed me what community in the forums really meant.
this isnt a place where people can come on here and flame others, this is a place for SW MINIATURES, and the discussions that follow, regardless of what the out come is.
my suggestion is to not post after people whom you disagree with, because you seem to bring drama with your postings.
adminsidious
Posted: Wednesday, October 21, 2009 6:44:05 AM

Mandalore Da Beast wrote:
, all of us have the freedoms to write what we see fit, as long as it doesnt fall in the disrespectful category.

if you have a negative opinion, keep it to yourself.
alot of this negative stuff that comes out of you Bill needs to stop.

my suggestion is to not post after people whom you disagree with, because you seem to bring drama with your postings.

Mixed messages

dnemiller
Posted: Wednesday, October 21, 2009 6:46:38 AM

So let me get this right Mandalaore....

Landshark should be able to post this kind of stuff no matter how negative it is or how untruthful it is all he wants.

But Bill should not be able to counter it at all???

Wow glad you dont have an axe to grind.

You have compared asking you to stay on topic to being like a Nazi. Then when we both said that was offensive, you came back with you grandmother was a holocaust survivor because she is jewish and it would not offend her.

For that you owe BIll an apology. But then you demanded one from BIll. Which is laughable because all he did was ask you to stay on topic and tell you he was offended by your comparison.

I have no idea how you think you come off smelling like a rose. But I have enough sense to know that if it is brown lumpy and on the ground it isn't a rose.
Mandalore Da Beast
Posted: Wednesday, October 21, 2009 6:48:21 AM

it is a mixed message. youre right.
im still stating the obvious though.
Mandalore Da Beast
Posted: Wednesday, October 21, 2009 7:01:38 AM

dnemiller wrote:
So let me get this right Mandalaore....

Landshark should be able to post this kind of stuff no matter how negative it is or how untruthful it is all he wants.

But Bill should not be able to counter it at all???

Wow glad you dont have an axe to grind.

That is ignorant. It is also not surprising coming from you.

You have compared asking you to stay on topic to being like a Nazi. Then when we both said that was offensive, you came back with you grandmother was a holocaust survivor because she is jewish and it would not offend her.

For that you owe BIll an apology. But then you demanded one from BIll. Which is laughable because all he did was ask you to stay on topic and tell you he was offended by your comparison.

I have no idea how you think you come off smelling like a rose. But I have enough sense to know that if it is brown lumpy and on the ground it isn't a rose.

how is Sharkies post negative and untruthful?
we are talking about a guy who is frustrated with the game! he hasnt flamed any of you guys, not one! he even said that he wouldnt be dragged into an arguement, but your BFF wanted to make something out of it no matter what. its too much!!
Dude, im not even going to touch the Nazi thing again, because i shouldnt have to explain myself everytime. you can interpret what you want, all you want, i dont care.
the ONLY person i owed an apology to was......come to think of it, i owed no one an apology. im sorry if people cant let go of the past. i see how you 2 express yourselves, and i am not impressed. the freedom of expression is the Darndest thing isnt it?
yeah i have an axe to grind, im sick and tired of all you fellas who think your slick by being rude to other members, and thinking that it will go unanswered! enough is enough.
your lucky that most members here are passive. but i will not sit still with it.
LoboStele
Posted: Wednesday, October 21, 2009 7:13:10 AM

Mandalore, honestly, YOU are the only one being rude with your responses and direct attacks on dnemiller and billiv15. Neither of them have resorted to the personal attacks that you've used throughout your posts to them the past couple days.

LandSharks' initially posts had quite a few un-truths in them regarding the DCI game and such. There's no need to announce that you are quitting the game. That just casts a negative vibe on things. If a fairly new player happened to read the thread, they might see people quitting and then think "Oh, well, maybe this isn't such a good game to get into." I don't think any of us want that to happen.

By it's very nature, the OP had a negative undertone. Some of the rest of us have just tried to chime in and say "Hey, it's not that bad!" and give our reasons why, and try to encourage people like LandShark to not give up so easily, and not be so negative about the DCI side of the game.
adminsidious
Posted: Wednesday, October 21, 2009 7:14:52 AM

More mixed messages.

Bill can't suggest to the forum mods something needs moderation. But you, (on your own authority) do seem to feel it's ok to play mod when you (again on your own, and at this point, obviously argumentative/aggresive opinions) decide you should do something about it.

How about doing what you signed up for when you arrived on this site. Reporting it to a mod.

Also, just to be clear, before the freedom of speech thing gets too out of hand, and I have to start typing in legalese (I'm in the middle of farm runs on tribalwars, so I'd rather not.), I'm going to try and explain this in simple english.

When you sign a document, that says you have entered a private establishment (be that a bar, a club, a chat room or forum on the intarblog(so long as it's servers are on american soil), you sign away your right to free speech, in leiu of the Terms and Conditions of said building/organization/whatever. That's the whole of the point of making you sign a ToS agreement when you join a forum.

So really, before you go all "captain free speech", make sure you understand what free speech is, otherwise you may find yourself on the wrong side of a guy with 15+ years of history in politics and advertising. ;)
Eroschilles
Posted: Wednesday, October 21, 2009 7:16:27 AM

Again, you guys are all entitled to post what you like following general conventions of morally acceptable terms. But this seems to turn more into a flame war. That I disapprove of. If you guys have a vendetta for each other (which it looks like to me at least) that's fine. Just don't bring it into every thread, it's distracting. If you are arguing about differences of opinion on the topic, that's fine as long as it's reasonably put. But this eluding to different statements that are off topic and occuring in different threads is counter-productive. I ask strongly that if this sort of discussion is greatly desired to be discussed, do so in the BM system between yourselves. This means, if someone says something as a part of this seemingly growing disagreement, don't post back in the thread, BM them and talk about it respectfully. What seems to be going on is alot of misinterpreting of posts and contradictions.

ON TOPIC, I'm always sad to see someone leave DCI or SWM, but that is totally your choice. I would recommend sticking with it as it changes from set to set. But it's not like you cannot come back after leaving when you like the Meta more.
graloth
Posted: Wednesday, October 21, 2009 7:16:41 AM

MrSmileys wrote:

And you forget that the Emperor/Sidious was one of the most powerful sith lords to have ever lived.

NO stop rite there
no he wasn't
dont be making false statements unless your claiming
"1 of the top 100 most powerful"
Jonnyb815
Posted: Wednesday, October 21, 2009 7:24:16 AM

Well Landshark I just dont see the point of this thread. You made the same thing on gamers but your still around. The game has hit a bump we all know that. Just quit or stay with the game there is no need for threads like this.

Bane only has a 10 atk with 80 Hp. Rex and Dash are support shooters that can be taken down fast in a 200 game. The 150 game is ruled by rebels so im not goign to get into 150. Rex was great for republic they finally got that non fringe shooter that they needed for the longest time. Dash needs about 10-55 points just to boost his atk. Bane is not a support shooter at 54 points. Rex and Dash should miss about half the time vs the big Jedi beats. Bane will hit the big beats but miss the filler. I think thats how it should be. Rex and dash were about getting the support guys. Bane is about going for the Jedi and for his cost it works out. The TBSV might be a little under costed but they only have 40 hp. Outside of SSM,Rieekan I am ok with how the game is coming a long. The game is becoming more luck based but the damage out has increased a lot for the last year too. I think the idea was to increase the damage to crazy levels and give some of the other factions defense from all the attacks well that has back fired. I think Peter will try really hard to change the game back to were it was around LOTF and KOTOR I hope. So by saying GMA has killed the game that is not true. SSM and evade are what have made the game so stale right now.

Why are you guys out to get Bill? Some times Bill goes a little too far but most of the time Bill is just telling the truth/true opinion. The internet is opinion based most of the time and its hard to read tone and feels. But attacking someone and not making a point does not make sense to me. Maybe its because I know Bill in real life so I understand where he is coming from and so on.
Eroschilles
Posted: Wednesday, October 21, 2009 7:25:23 AM

graloth wrote:
MrSmileys wrote:

And you forget that the Emperor/Sidious was one of the most powerful sith lords to have ever lived.

NO stop rite there
no he wasn't
dont be making false statements unless your claiming
"1 of the top 100 most powerful"

I don't think saying the emperor was one of the most powerful sith lords is making a flase statement, at least in the EU books and films they try to portray him as such. So within the SW Universe, there is some feeling that he was the most powerful.