RegisterDonateLogin

You stuck up, half-witted, scruffy-looking milk drinker!

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Members

Nashville Tounament Results Options
Dark_Jedi_21
Posted: Sunday, January 17, 2010 2:14:52 PM
Groups: Member

We had turnout of 18 players. It was a great tournament and had some really great games. Here are the full results:

1st Gray Whitsett
Map:Chancellors Starship

Luke's Snowspeeder
Han Smuggler
Princess Leia
Bothan Noble
Gen. Reeikan
Gen. Dodonna
R2 ES
Gen. Madine
ERC
Ugo Tech x2
Ugo x2
Mouse x2

2nd David Weeks
Map: Chancellors Starship
Squad Name : BRB

Lord Vader
Thrawn
Arica
Lobot
Admiral Ozzel
Mas Amedda
Raxus Prime Trooper
Camasi Noble
Ugo x3

3rd Greg Sutton
Map :Imperial Base

Mouse x3
Ugo x3
Bothan Noble x2
Yoda of Dagobah
Gen Dodonna
Luke HPU
Han Smuggler
Princess Leia
Gen. Reeikan
R2 ES
Juno Eclipse

4th Daniel Stephens
Map Ravaged Base

Mara Jade Jedi
Kol Skywalker
Kyle Katarn JBM
Gen Wedge
Gen Dodonna
Luke Force Spirit
Mouse x3
Ugo x3

5th Matt Spry
Map: Teth
Luke's Snowspeeder
Han Smuggler
Chewie of Hoth
Princess Leia
Gen Madine
ERC
Gen Reeikan
Human Bodyguard
Gen Dodonna
Ugo x2
Mouse x2
R7

6th Graham Bingham
Map Ravaged Base

Bucking the Trend
Yoda on Kybuck
Gen Skywalker
Capt. Panaka
Mas Amedda
R2 Astro
Dash Rendar RS
Lobot
Gran
Ugo

7th Andy Bumpus
Map Jedi Temple
Vaders Apprentice Redeemed
Yoda of Dagobah
Han Smuggler
Princess Leia
Gen Madine
Gen Reeikan
Gen Dodonna
ERC
Camasi Noble
Ugo x2
Mouse

8th Brandon Pyle
Map Ravaged Base
Luke Commando
Boba BH
Mouse x2
Han RH
Bothan Noble
Gen Reeikan
Gen Dodonna
Obi Force Spirit
R7
Juno
Ugh

9th Scotty Coyle
Map Ravaged Base
Boba BH
Han RougeW
Luke HoY
Bothan Noble
Camasi Noble
Twilek BSV
Ugo x2
R2 ES
Lando DS

10th Jonathan Hostetler
Map Rancor Pen
GGDAC
Wat Tambor TUF
T3-M4
Lobot CLO
Gha Nachkt
San Hill
BDO
Battl Droid x4
Mouse x3

11th Sean W.E
Map Teth
Mouse x2
Ugo x4
Gran Raider
Camasi Noble
Munn Tactics Broker
R7 x2
Bothan Noble
Genohardin Assassin
Gen Reeikan
Han STA
Gen Dodonna
Boba BH

12th Josh Dodson
Map Jedi Temple
Ulic Qel-Droma
Mando Quartermaster
Mando Captain
Mando Scout x2
Mando Marauder
Lobot CLO
Ugo
Mando Gunslinger

13th Jason Jackson
Map Jedi Temple

Cad Bane
Moff Nyna Calixte
Noghri Commando
Amanin Scout
Jawa Scavenger
Admiral Ozzel
Gran Raider
R7
Lobot CLO
Thrawn
Mas Amedda

14th Nicke Saunders
Map Night Club

Palps on Throne
Thrawn
Darth Vader JH
Boba Fett Enforcer
Amanin Scout
Ugo x3

15th Dennis Beard
Map Train Station

Han Smuggler
Princess Leia
Gen Rieekan
Gen Dodonna
Luke Commando
Camaasi Noble x2
Juno
Denna Shan
Mouse x3
R7 x2
Kel Dor BH x2
Gran x2

16th Noah King
Map Rancor Pit

Darth Revan
Cade Skywalker
BBSV
Human Bodyguard
Duros Scoundrel
Cloud Car Pilot

17th Jason Riggins
Darth Sidious SM
Ugo x4
Human BG
Darth Krayt
Darth Maul SA

18th Jeff Woodard (Dropped)
Map Chancellors Starship
Ugo x2
Mas Amedda
Admiral Ozzel
Lobot CLO
Echani Handmaiden
TBSV
BBSV
Xizor
Thrawn

dahatchetjeedi
Posted: Sunday, January 17, 2010 2:32:30 PM

10th out of 18...
not bad for my first SW minis tournament...
billiv15
Posted: Sunday, January 17, 2010 3:32:36 PM

Nice job Admiral! Congrats and cool report.
spryguy1981
Posted: Sunday, January 17, 2010 4:06:26 PM

Point of Note, Andy Bumpus also had Yoda of Dagobah in his squad, it must've gotten skipped over.

I enjoyed this event immensely, well for the most part haha. Except for my poor luck w/the dice at the end :( .
Emissary
Posted: Sunday, January 17, 2010 5:25:55 PM

I would like to post a review of my time there, but I'm still recovering after a long drive back to NC. So I guess that'll have to wait for tomorrow.

I would like to say again that it was great to meet everyone out there. Hopefully we'll be able to do this again sometime before regionals.

Anywho, I'll have my play reports done tomorrow.
Emissary
Posted: Monday, January 18, 2010 5:32:44 AM

Here's my play report for the Nashville event.

**Please note..I don't remember everyone's names too well so I'll be posting by what they played.**

My squad is here for your reference.

Round #1

Its funny that out of 18 people that I'd have to draw my partner in crime (when it comes to minis). He ran the snowspeeder and we played on my map (which is Jedi Temple aka Yavin temple). Anywho, by round 1 my Rieekan was dead due to a horrible move by me and him running double override. Needless to say I gave up but we still played a few more rounds. I think I ended up killing a few uggos or something. It was pretty one sided. Result: Loss

Round #2

I played one of the local guys who was running Vigos with Thrawn and a Handmaiden. I won map again and things went better for me this time. Although Han could not make enough evade saves to keep him alive. But I kept my head up and continued on pushing Vigos when I could. I had Crix disrupting all of his commanders by the end and if it had gone one more round I would've FP5 most of them too. Result: Win

Round #3

I played one of the Atlanta guys for this round. He brought a very very good New Republic squad with Kyle BM, Mara Jedi, and Kol. I won map again and didn't lose Han too early this time. But by the 3rd init round the game was decided. Had I won init I could've put a big hurt on Mara, but instead she won and proceded to decimate my Apprentice. Oh well...it was another fun and good game. Result: Loss

Round #4

Played another local guy running Ulic and mandos. We both had the same map so we just rolled for side. He got the better side but I continued to press on. 3rd round again and I've got my Apprentice setup for a good FP 5. He gets to Push and I kill 2 mandos and put a big hurt on Ulic who didn't make the save. Han (with Leia's help) and my ERC finish the job off. It was a really good squad and I'll admit seeing Ulic had me worried he'd tear thru my Apprentice if I didn't push him. Result: Win

Round #5

Last round I get the local guy who had Boba: BH, Rieekan, and Han in Stormtrooper armor. Now...I've had HORRIBLE luck defeating Boba back in Illinois. He always killed my key piece with a nice disintegration and I was fearing that would be the same in this case. Anywho...back to my report. Things were back and forth through out the game and gambit was key for winning. He killed Yoda (the only person to do that when I wanted it to happen) and the points went to my Apprentice. As I begin to setup a nice FP 5 we go to init. He wins and Boba turns my Apprentice to dust. Never had a good chance to use him but I press on. Last round of init is called and the game is extremely close. My Han is dead (still couldn't evade worth a darn) and my ERC is busy trying to keep a key door open since his R7's were still alive. I had no choice but to attempt a win by killing mouse droids and Dodonnna. This was the closest game I've played in 6 months! My hat goes off to this guy (you know who you are). A great player and he had a great squad to go with it. Result: Win

Overall I had a great time there (minus a rock slide making our commute EXTREMELY long). I'm sure that if we can get another one planned out I will do my best to make it! As for prize support everyone walked away with a pack of GaW and I pulled Argyus and my friend gave me his Grevious since he already had one. The venue was great, the peeps were great, and everyone had a really good time. Kudos to the Nashville guys! And kudos to the LGS for having a great (and huge) area for us to play! ThumbsUp
Posted: Monday, January 18, 2010 7:04:53 AM

My Play Report:

Squad Name: Finesse O' Fett

BFBH
x2 Mouse
x4 Uggies
Genoharadan Assassin
Bothan Noble
Gen Dodonna
Han STA
Rieekan
x2 R7s
Camaasi Noble
Gran Raider
Muun Tactics Broker

I was very grateful that I didn't have to go up against a Speedy cannon squad, because my squad was not built for it. Not to mention, I think it's just cheap.
My squad was built for taking initiative every time, and it did just that. Unfortunately, coming in 11th proves that My activations went against me, because i was rocking alot of them.

Round 1-Jason Riggins (Sith Squad)

Good Kid from the Clarksville area, I had no idea that minis had a strong following an hour and a half away from us, and I'm glad the Clarksville crew showed up.
anyway, back to the report.
It was pretty one sided on my part for most of the game, being that he had very little activations.
My one mistake was letting BFBH get fried by Krayte 4 times, eventually killing Fett.
Rieekan won it for me with a Critical on Krayte (his last Piece), Krayte only had 10 HP left, so crab armor would have done him no good.
Result-Win

Round 2- Jonathan Hostettler AKA DaHatchetJeedi (Separatists)

What can I say? Ive been playing against this squad all week, and my results were 50-50. I came up empty handed. Hatchet had everything going for him. My Muun kept giving him reserves 20 (San Hill) (I would have rather given him the generic reserves 20 then Wats or Clobots reserves, cuz once an IG-86 or HK 50 gets on the board, I would have been screwed.) The game went to time, i lost by 12 points. O well.
Result Loss.

Round 3- Brandon Pile (Rebel Fett cannon)

Great Kid, I had a Blast playing him. He kept me on my toes with his Han Solo and BFBH. I wasnt as worried with his Luke Commando, because i used the Double OR lock him in a hallway scam. It worked to my advantage. After I killed BFBH, I went after Han With my Han. All in all, it was close until i killed his Fett. My second favorite match of the Day. Result Win.

Round 4-Daniel Stephens (NR Beatsticks)

Nice guy, and fun to play with.
This was one of those games where I totally underestimated my opponent. he had a bunch of Beats, i had a bunch of shooters. Me being waaaay over confident, I jumped the gun and rushed him. it was pretty much over for me by the 3rd inish.
I made a deal with him: If he rolled a Nat 20 against any of my guys, i would call the game. He never did, but I called it any way, there was no sense in me wasting both of our time, especially with all of these other great matches going on around us.
Result-My Worst Loss (Great learning experience though, Thanks for the game Daniel)

Round 5- Andy Bumpis AKA Emissary (Rebel VAR Cannon)

By far, the best game i played in a really long time, and i really am happy that it was Andy, because this was anyones game. Maybe not from the very beginning, because I made a few bonehead moves, but I came back after awhile.
His VAR was in Fetts LoS in the beginning of the game, so fett took a shot twice at him, and VaR made both saves. So I decided to not go after VAR for a while and work on his other pieces. His Yoda was messing my world up with that Stun move and MoTF. I knew that he wanted me to kill Yoda, and at first, I was reluctant to do it, but he kept activating me. I won Inish, Killed Yoda off with my Geno, got the points, and we were about even at this time. his Var activated and hits my geno with FP 4, knocking him back 4 squares. I activate 2, Big D VaR, and then use my R7 to lock his han in the hangar with me.
we had one more inish after this, and it was back and forth the whole time. The game went to time and I lost by a few points. To me, even though I lost, I felt like I had won, and took the experience as a postive. So thank you Andy, I had a wicked Blast playing you. and thanks for clearing up the moving out of difficult terrain question i had. That makes my felcor happyBigGrin
*Note* I have never lost a game where my Fett was at full HP, so this proves to me that this was one of the greatest games i ever played. No Bloo Milk

A great day for Nashville indeed.
I want to personally thank Jason again for helping me keep this thing together, even through all of the commotion and confusion we had to deal with. It was totally last minute for me to keep this thing afloat, and without jasons help and Know how, I would have gotten Anxious and just gave up. The turn out was incredible, the guys were great, and the prize support was sweet (I pulled another Yularen, which I traded it to Spryguy cuz he needed him more then I did.)
We are now looking to do this once a month. TNLG will be moving their store elsewhere, due to Contract issues with River Gate Mall, but he will be keeping me updated as to where he will be moving to next. we have another LGS that we go to, but he isn't the biggest supporter of Tournament style play, his own personal preference (which I totally understand).
Thanks boys, It was fun, and i hope we do it again real soon.

jhc36
Posted: Monday, January 18, 2010 9:06:26 AM

Great play report guys! Wish I could have made the trip with you guys...but had to work. Sounds like a great event.
billiv15
Posted: Monday, January 18, 2010 9:41:33 AM

666 wrote:

BFBH
Bothan Noble
Gen Dodonna
Han STA

I was very grateful that I didn't have to go up against a Speedy cannon squad, because my squad was not built for it. Not to mention, I think it's just cheap.

You do realize that most players would argue that Boba BH and a Bothan is at a minimum, equally "cheap" compared to Luke's SS and Leia right? In fact, when you add in the rest of your squad, it's pretty clear your entire squad is built around the exact same principles as "Speedy Cannon,". Let's not deride the squad choice of others, especially when our own choices are exactly the same....
joelker41
Posted: Monday, January 18, 2010 10:06:26 AM

Agreed.

Boba Cannon has been cheese for longer and is much more severe in 200. If someone is playing Speedy Cannon in 200 they usually are at a disadvantage rather than an advantage.

Boba is far worse in 200 then Speedy Cannon IMO. They roles are of course reversed in 150 IMO.
billiv15
Posted: Monday, January 18, 2010 10:14:35 AM

joelker41 wrote:

Boba is far worse in 200 then Speedy Cannon IMO. They roles are of course reversed in 150 IMO.

I generally agree with this assessment. But regardless, I don't think it's very cool to call someone else' squad choice (when legal) "cheese" or any other such name. This was a competitive tournament was it not? Played by DCI rules? Then as such, players will choose their squads for a variety of reasons, but the squads aren't what win or lose the game anyways. There is no reason to critique another's choices because of "cheesiness" or any similar term. If you want to criticize based on squad strengths, the meta, point usage or something relevant to the game, then by all means do so.
dahatchetjeedi
Posted: Monday, January 18, 2010 10:18:50 AM

I fully disagree...
his army was nothing like a speedy cannon!
no swaps, no speeds of 8 or more...
the closest thing is Han's comm effect.
and thats not really close.

as for speedy cannon having a disadvantage, you have obviously not been placed against a speedy cannon army...
THEY ARE CHEESE.
this is why the locals [us nashvillians] wern't running it.
maybee next time we will run one each just to show how guaranteed they are.
Sithborg
Posted: Monday, January 18, 2010 10:28:21 AM
Groups: Member , Moderator, Rules Guy

lol

You do realize you are telling the person who made Speedy Cannon popular at Gencon about it?
billiv15
Posted: Monday, January 18, 2010 10:30:34 AM

dahatchetjeedi wrote:

as for speedy cannon having a disadvantage, you have obviously not been placed against a speedy cannon army...

What do I say to this lol :)
dnemiller
Posted: Monday, January 18, 2010 10:34:36 AM

dahatchetjeedi wrote:
I fully disagree...
his army was nothing like a speedy cannon!
no swaps, no speeds of 8 or more...
the closest thing is Han's comm effect.
and thats not really close.

THEY ARE CHEESE.
this is why the locals [us nashvillians] wern't running it.
maybee next time we will run one each just to show how guaranteed they are.

umm really this argument is kind of crazy. It was Nashville's first DCI tourney and judging by the Boba Machine gun squad that the poster ran it is clear that it was a newbie squad. Really the player squad had zero synergy but hey that is to be expected in someone's first DCI tourney. The choice of the MTB without an exit strategy probably meant at some point during the tourney he had to sacrifice an important piece to his squad. The experienced player probably shot all the fodder as quick as possible to force this action. But that is the learning curve in DCI play.

As to the comment that Speedy Cannon is cheese that is kind of a goofy comment considering that Boba Machine Gun is just as bad when a playing is giving Boba Attacks hoping to roll a lot of Big D's. Trying to win on a 5% chance is kind of cheesy and doesnt require skill it requires luck. So I dont think that an argument should be started over that. That is just a fact. I am glad you guys had a fun tourney but being as it was several players first forray into competitive play I would expect the squads to be less than perfect. Looking at the Boba machine squad (Finesse o Fett or something liuke that) it is clear that the squad could been better. I am not being critical I am just stating a fact. I am sure once you guys get going you will see that some of the squad building choices could have better ones. How much more effective would the MTB have been if he had a Kel Dor BH standing next to him??? So before you start sacrificing important pieces you just off the MTB by sacrificing the Kel Dor.

I am just giving my thought and really would hate to see this turn into an argument.

Bill is right though. In an DCI competitive tourney the player has the right to play anything that is a legal build. Calling your opponents squad a name exhibits poor sportsmanship and anyone that attended your tourney who played Speedy Cannon probably now thinks you guys see him in a poor light because he played cheese in your opinion that you have now expressed publically.

I am not a fan of Dodonna. But I am not going to call it cheese in public so a guy that showed to my tourney from out of town can read that and think I dont think highly of him for playing it. It is just disrespectful to the player. The best way to keep people from playing figures you hate is to destroy them repeatedly.
dahatchetjeedi
Posted: Monday, January 18, 2010 11:06:07 AM

(edited for content...form of baiting)
either way, the obvious fact is that every tourney that has a speedy squad ran in it, that type of squad 9 times out of 10 comes out on top.
the comment on something requiring luck not skill is ridiculous!
the entire game runs on luck, why do you think we roll dice?!?
we have not insulted anyone's play skill or persona so please back off, you had nothing to do with this tourney, lets keep it that way.
oh, by the way...
the person running the Fett squad is far from a newb and this was NOT his first tourney.
I doubt that ANYONE could have run that squad with the grace and finesse that he did!

now nowhere did I say that speedy cannon should be illegal, but something NEEDS to be created [fig wise] to counter this army, otherwise it WILL be the death of SW minis as we know and love it...

and just to prove this point I fully plan on showing you all what I mean by running a speedy cannon army in the next tourney!
kill the beast from the inside!

thats all I care to say on the subject...
creme_brule
Posted: Monday, January 18, 2010 11:08:58 AM

joelker41 wrote:
Agreed.

Boba Cannon has been cheese for longer and is much more severe in 200. If someone is playing Speedy Cannon in 200 they usually are at a disadvantage rather than an advantage.

im conseravtive, so really i dnt like any squads which make any of ur characters lie in the opne with less than 21 def. (lol) like boba/han cannon squads, but i do agree that boba is a cheap figure...but mostly people say that bc hes so (psychologically) intimidating!!! i mean, all anyone reads on thesse boards is about boba BH disintigrating this, boba BH disintigrating that, etc. etc....people even have lists (and sometimes long ones too) of theire boba disints.! its a really koo idea and i like it, but if people each ahd to give a WHOLE account of their use with boba, not just thier lucky accounts, then he would proabably lose a lot of his spunk

jsut my BombBomb
imyurhukaberry
Posted: Monday, January 18, 2010 11:11:09 AM
Groups: Member , Moderator

"Cheese" made from BlooMilk isn't pretty... ;)

Good squads are only as good as the players who use them. Some squads are easier to use than others (ie ones with Boba BH). But as always, any player can choose and use ANY squad they like. Imagine how the game would be if as soon as one person made a squad, then no one else could use that exact same squad? That would be horrible. Instead, I like to think that you SHOULD play against the top rated squads, that way you KNOW how to beat them if you come across them in a tournament.

Face it, there are only so many Tier 1 worthy squads, especially if you are a small fish in the big event (GenCon). Certain squads will always be used because they have been proven to win.

Great tournament turnout guys! I hope that it continues to grow. As will the experience of the players attending. Shoot, our group was small fish until we all starting playing more tournaments. The experience of each player grew tremendously fast after that. ;)
dnemiller
Posted: Monday, January 18, 2010 11:20:29 AM

dahatchetjeedi wrote:
now you are just being ignorant dean...
and it is obvious you ARE trying to instigate this.
either way, the obvious fact is that every tourney that has a speedy squad ran in it, that type of squad 9 times out of 10 comes out on top.
the comment on something requiring luck not skill is ridiculous!
the entire game runs on luck, why do you think we roll dice?!?
we have not insulted anyone's play skill or persona so please back off, you had nothing to do with this tourney, lets keep it that way.
oh, by the way...
the person running the Fett squad is far from a newb and this was NOT his first tourney.
I doubt that ANYONE could have run that squad with the grace and finesse that he did!

now nowhere did I say that speedy cannon should be illegal, but something NEEDS to be created [fig wise] to counter this army, otherwise it WILL be the death of SW minis as we know and love it...
and just to prove this point I fully plan on showing you all what I mean by running a speedy cannon army in the next tourney!

thats all I care to say on the subject...

Well I guess I am just ignorant then. Because I cannot see the wisdom in running the Muun Tactics Broker without an exit strategy. So you are telling me that the person running that squad playing it with grace and finesse yet he forgot that he would need an exit strategy before he had to off his own important pieces?? I am pretty ignorant then if that is a good idea because I always thought it was a bad idea.

You say this is a game of luck. Really??? So it is not a tactical game because luck has very little to do with the outcome of the game I can promise you that. But again I maybe ignorant on that subject too so please feel free to educate me.

As far as insulting anyone. Well you kind of do when you call what several guys ran at your tourney cheese. I mean these guys drove a long ways to make sure your tourney was a success. Without them you have a 5 person tourney. With them you have a large event. So calling what they ran cheese is disrespectful no matter how you cut it. But again I am probably to ignorant to understand what you meant by saying that using speedy cannon is just cheese.

I tell you what being as I am very ignorant to how this game works why dont you get Sean to show you how to load up his vassal (I know he has it because he has been on there before) and then you can educate me on how this game works. Because I am clearly ignorant.
imyurhukaberry
Posted: Monday, January 18, 2010 11:25:47 AM
Groups: Member , Moderator

Easy guys.
Dean was not trying to insult anyone. Please reread his post. He was making a comment on the apparent skill of a player based on what he chose to use in a DCI tournament. Nothing more. Please do not take it the wrong way.
Even I, who has really limited DCI play, can see that there could be some improvements in some of the squads used. (well most actually...) There's no offense there, just making an observation. I learned a lot from players that have a lot more DCI experience than me. And I appreciate each one of them for it.

I was going to edit Hatchet's post, but I think I will leave it up as an example of how NOT to tell someone that they felt insulted. Even that can be done in an official manner. BlooMilk