RegisterDonateLogin

I do not want the Emperor's prize damaged. We will test it on Bloo Milk.

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Members

Preparing For Regionals Options
shmi15
Posted: Wednesday, April 10, 2013 9:41:41 AM
Groups: Member

I know only 1 regional has been played, but Lowerhuttacon was played the day before MI Regional, so with those two being close to each other, I thought I would ask peoples take on popular squads at regionals.

LoweHuttacon- With full squad lists up (thank you so much TheHutts!) This is a short version of what was played

Non top 4 squads included 3 Vong... All 3 different builds completely! Kezzamachine I think finished the highest for Vong with 8 total points, and his squad looked like this....

kezzamachine:
Yuuzhan Vong
Sheodai
Quorreal
Nei Rin
YV JH
YV JH
Fanatic
Yammosk
Zonoma * 2
Lobot

Thoughts on this being one of the more competitive Vong squads?

New Republic just barely missed the top 4 ( they had 9, while 3 and 4 finished with 11) but only had 2 squads fielded, the best one ran by Darth O looked like this,

Darth O:
New Republic
IG-88A
Mara Jade Jedi
IG88 Assassin
Ganner
Dodonna
R7
Mouse*3
Rodian
Ugnaught
Lots of good damage output there, all non melee (minus Ganner) with Mara able to tip toe past the big Force Absorb guys, but I can’t believe The IG’s in NR finished higher than the new Luke?!?! I was for sure he would be a staple this year in NR, but this squad is great. Thoughts on it for being a top NR squad this season?

Only 1 OR squad, and they finished with 8 points, but again… We see a new use of the IG’s.

kfcswaitingforyou:
Old Republic
Bastila
Satele
IG-88A
IG-88 Assassin Droids
R7
Ugnaught
Lobot

Very versatile piece as these two squads show, Love how they are competitive everywhere.

The Republic came away as most popular faction, having 4 show up to battle. There was some misunderstanding of one squad, So I think the one that ended the best was Naboo Death Shots. But, again, 4 squads, 4 completely different builds. 1 a Naboo death shot, another a Klat Assassin death shot (Very unique indeed!) a Joruus C’Boath squad, and a Master Yoda squad with GOWK and The Dark Woman. Tough to say which one if any of these is the top Republic squad… Although I am very curious about this Klat Assassin Death Shot, it could cause some major problems to some squads.

3 Sith squads at the bottom, with the Caedus/Vergere/Malgus squad doing nothing, and a Caedus/Bastilla squad not doing anything, then last, a Nihilus/Zannah/Traya squad which again underperformed. A Sith squad did make the top 4, which based off this tournament, would make it the most competitive squad?

Then the last faction to not make the top 4 was a Cad BH/ Grievous HoH squad. But, again, 2 other squads finished top 4, so those will be the focus of the Seps.

And now the top 4.

Dr Daman: (First)
Imperials
Lobot
Thrawn
Ozzel
Thrawn
Morrigan
Mouse *2
Ug
Mas
Cad Bane
Rodian * 4

Sharron: (Second)
Separatist
Cad Bane BH
IG-88A
IG-88 Assassin
Poggle
10 bombs
San Hill
Lobot

TheHutts (Third)
Sith
Malgus
HK-47 AD
Bandon
Lobot
Mouse * 4
Ugnaught * 3

bevj21: (Fourth)
Separatist
Aurra
Cad
Grievous
Hondo
Lobot
R7
Ug
Mice * 3

This Imperial squad I think we can all safely say we will see again. I played against it a long time ago when Corde came out, as Ultrastar is a huge fan of Black N Blue, and she just makes way more sense than Arica now b/c of her Movement and Unpreventable damage.
The new Cad Bane BH shows living seps (and IG Seps) are viable and should be in just about every tournament. I think the perfect build is still yet to be found, but I am confident someone will do it before long.
Then of course the jumbled mess of Malgus, HK, and Bandon…. Malgus is just a monster, and I feel in the hands of skilled players could become a huge piece this season. He is very tricky to use, but once perfected, is oh so dangerous. I fully expect to see more jumbled mess Malgus squads with who knows as supporting cast.

All in all, a very nice showing of diversity in squads. No real mirror squads out of the top 4 ( one could argue the Death shots, but that’s neither here nor there) IG 88 and Cad Bane seem to be the most famous pieces, so can we start planning to prepare for them? Or do you guys think something else is in charge?!

I will post Michigan stuff here soon as well (again a rougher version) so people can see what factions were ran there and what squad ideas/pieces people are experimenting with now.

BUT! The point of this is to keep a good discussion going about competitive squads being played, and what people can try and prepare for while traveling for regionals! I will give my 2 cents on it all when I get back from class today.
FlyingArrow
Posted: Wednesday, April 10, 2013 11:54:32 AM
Groups: Member , Moderator

Of course you can win when you bring 2 Thrawns.

Imperials
Lobot
Thrawn
Ozzel
Thrawn
Morrigan
Mouse *2
Ug
Mas
Cad Bane
Rodian * 4
thereisnotry
Posted: Wednesday, April 10, 2013 12:45:27 PM

Dude! Double swap! That's an awesome idea! I'll have to see what squads I can build to take advantage of that tactic....
501 Trooper
Posted: Wednesday, April 10, 2013 1:07:38 PM

FlyingArrow wrote:

Imperials
Lobot
Thrawn
Ozzel
Thrawn
Morrigan
Mouse *2
Ug
Mas
Cad Bane
Rodian * 4

That was a typo, right? Cause there's a little problem with the unique rule.
sharron
Posted: Wednesday, April 10, 2013 1:22:29 PM

501 Trooper wrote:
FlyingArrow wrote:

Imperials
Lobot
Thrawn
Ozzel
Thrawn
Morrigan
Mouse *2
Ug
Mas
Cad Bane
Rodian * 4

In newzealand we don't play with the unique ruling.
corranhorn
Posted: Wednesday, April 10, 2013 1:43:41 PM

sharron wrote:
501 Trooper wrote:
FlyingArrow wrote:

Imperials
Lobot
Thrawn
Ozzel
Thrawn
Morrigan
Mouse *2
Ug
Mas
Cad Bane
Rodian * 4

Really? I think you're joking but you seem deadpan.
Captain Typo
Posted: Wednesday, April 10, 2013 2:08:01 PM

501 Trooper wrote:

This is not my fault. Tongue
Weeks
Posted: Wednesday, April 10, 2013 2:10:45 PM

sharron wrote:
501 Trooper wrote:
FlyingArrow wrote:

Imperials
Lobot
Thrawn
Ozzel
Thrawn
Morrigan
Mouse *2
Ug
Mas
Cad Bane
Rodian * 4

No Silver Ring = Not a unique. THRAWN SWARMM!
501 Trooper
Posted: Wednesday, April 10, 2013 2:15:09 PM

sharron wrote:
501 Trooper wrote:
FlyingArrow wrote:

Imperials
Lobot
Thrawn
Ozzel
Thrawn
Morrigan
Mouse *2
Ug
Mas
Cad Bane
Rodian * 4

Thats it! I'm moving to New Zealand now!
thereisnotry
Posted: Wednesday, April 10, 2013 3:42:06 PM

That's it...I'm playing Republic forever now!

65 Super Mace
99 Captain Rex x3
36 R2 Astromech x4

200pts, 8 activations...tow and attack all day long, baby! And just try to lock me out!

I'm taking this to a Regional for sure. It'll replace the other squad I was going to use: R2 Astromech and Mara Jade Jedi.
Sithborg
Posted: Wednesday, April 10, 2013 3:55:01 PM
Groups: Member , Moderator, Rules Guy

The way I see Vong playing out, it would be too risky to play the Jedi Hunters (and this includes the Ossus Guardian). Too many options to have a Droid really mess up your day. The Ig-88s, HK in general (droids with extra Defense + Disruptive = tough to go through), and possibly Sev'rance. I'm thinking combo up Vua Rapuung and Shedoa Shai could be interesting, or use some Slayers.
TheHutts
Posted: Wednesday, April 10, 2013 4:20:51 PM

For the record, we do follow unique rules in New Zealand - we try to follow SWMGPA rules as well as we can. That typo was my bad. I think I'd actually like playing Imperials if they had double swap.

Thanks for featuring our results!

shmi15 wrote:

This Imperial squad I think we can all safely say we will see again. I played against it a long time ago when Corde came out, as Ultrastar is a huge fan of Black N Blue, and she just makes way more sense than Arica now b/c of her Movement and Unpreventable damage.
The new Cad Bane BH shows living seps (and IG Seps) are viable and should be in just about every tournament. I think the perfect build is still yet to be found, but I am confident someone will do it before long.
Then of course the jumbled mess of Malgus, HK, and Bandon…. Malgus is just a monster, and I feel in the hands of skilled players could become a huge piece this season. He is very tricky to use, but once perfected, is oh so dangerous. I fully expect to see more jumbled mess Malgus squads with who knows as supporting cast.

Yeah, I didn't see it at first but Morrigan is a really good option. I guess Momaw is sitting on the reserve bench if you want to clean out a lot of scrubs quickly.

I do think my squad was somewhat messy, but it made some sense to me - I wanted to try something different from the Malgus/Caedus/Vergere build, and I like how HK-47's disruptive gives a chance against swarms (as long as you don't leave him in the open for your opponent to shoot.....) and Malgus' forced movement compensates for HK-47's lack of movement. The 28 defense in cover mouse droids give some more time against heavy shooter squads too. The thing I think it's lacking the most is initiative control - once I pull something in, I want to be able to go first next round. I think it's definitely tier 2, but it can be an absolute menace against some things - I was hoping I'd get to play the Old Republic Jaq and Carth squad - I'm pretty sure I'd be able to mince that into small pieces efficiently.

In my opinion Revan SL and Caedus SL are the two Sith Tier 1 options as pieces to build a squad around - I like Malgus a lot, but he is a lot more situational than the other two, and he's just that much more expensive and harder to build around.

And as much as squad analysis is fun (and I can't stress how much I love it!), when I look at the top 4 list, based on my knowledge of previous results in our New Zealand group, Bev, Sharron, and I are the three players who had won NZ Majors before Saturday, while Dr Daman won the recent NZ Vassal Tournament and has been working hard on his game and improving constantly, so it wasn't a surprise to see any of us in the top 4, even though lots of other players are strong as well. So I think that player skill and experience is as an important predictor of results as squad choice is. So IMO it's Dr Daman who's broken, not Thrawn.
kezzamachine
Posted: Wednesday, April 10, 2013 6:17:01 PM

I agree. Dr Daman is broken. Can we get him banned? And the Hutts too... come to think of it, all 6 players ahead of me.
kezzamachine
Posted: Wednesday, April 10, 2013 6:21:35 PM

Sithborg wrote:
The way I see Vong playing out, it would be too risky to play the Jedi Hunters (and this includes the Ossus Guardian). Too many options to have a Droid really mess up your day. The Ig-88s, HK in general (droids with extra Defense + Disruptive = tough to go through), and possibly Sev'rance. I'm thinking combo up Vua Rapuung and Shedoa Shai could be interesting, or use some Slayers.

I was actually worried about too many Jedi Hunters, but I did think that Jedi would be more prevalent at HuttCon. I was half right. I did ponder 1 Jedi Hunter and 2 Fanatics - 12 squares for the hit it pretty fun - and I could have brought in the 2nd JH if I needed it (Quorreal). This squad is similar to one I ran last year (swap out Quorreal for DeGara and Nei Rin for Nen Yim) and I'm amazed at how well it does with attackers that don't look very tank. Last year I was 3rd, this year 7th... so they can't be that good, although I should have played better against Daman. Stoopid taking the wrong CE...
TheHutts
Posted: Wednesday, April 10, 2013 7:46:49 PM

Also, how much do you think the maplist affects things - we used Maplist B, which I think has the two most pit-oriented maps on it (Cliffside Citadel, Simulation Deck), so you'd think it would be Caedus' best chance. I know that I enjoyed running Malgus on Anchorhead - he could sit safely out of LoS around the corner and pull whoever he wanted to out of gambit.

Would you change your squad choice depending on the map list for your Regional?

Also, I know US Tim is a big proponent of this, but IMO the single biggest factor in predicting squad success was arguably:
1st: used UH Lobot
2nd: used UH Lobot
3rd: used UH Lobot
4th: used UH Lobot
7th: used UH Lobot
8th: used UH Lobot
18th: used UH Lobot
There are a few squads he didn't fit - I can see why all the other squads in the top half of the results left him out, like the Republic ones where Republic tech options were preferable - but generally there seems to be a correlation between Lobot use and success.
shmi15
Posted: Friday, April 12, 2013 8:12:42 AM

Add MI Regional to the list, Not sure what all was ran because I haven't heard to much from people, but I do know the top 4 went like this...

Imps of course winning with the accurate Echanis

2nd Naboo Pilot/Troopers

3rd Caedus with NR troopers I think

4th NR Saba Training droid army

I know 3 Vong were ran here, but other details are unknown.
TheHutts
Posted: Friday, April 12, 2013 5:28:47 PM

shmi15 wrote:
Add MI Regional to the list, Not sure what all was ran because I haven't heard to much from people, but I do know the top 4 went like this...

Imps of course winning with the accurate Echanis

2nd Naboo Pilot/Troopers

3rd Caedus with NR troopers I think

4th NR Saba Training droid army

I know 3 Vong were ran here, but other details are unknown.

A lot of the squads are listed on Gamers at http://www.swmgamers.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=225&t=16000&start=0

Jason - Imperial Echanis
Nader - Naboo Pilot death shots
Jake - Caedus SL, Atton, GA special guards x2, GARY, Lobot, Czerka
Eric - NR Saba, HK-47 and Training Droids
Lou Vasilion (5th?) - Cad Bane BH with Aurra, Hondo, and Grievous HoH.
and then in no order....
Troy - Luke GH and Kyle JBM
Jerrod - NR IG-88s with Han GH
John - Yun Yamka Fanatic swarm
Laura - Vong with Nei Rin and Ossus
Mike - Boss Nass with Gungans
Bryan - Dessel, Mandalore the Lesser, and Kelborn (lots of Mandos in a Sith squad)
Randy - Basilisk War Droids
TimB - Quorreal, Subaltern, Nei Rin, Quednak etc
and I think, from SHNN last night, the 14th squad dropped out as it was using Watto to Slave Collar a commander, which isn't allowed. It was an NR squad with Celeste and one of the new Lukes.

So it looks like they had:
Sith: 2
Republic: 2
Seps: 1
Imperials: 1
NR: 4
Vong: 3
Mandos: 1

There are a few (admittedly mainly facile) similarities to LowerHuttACon - Sith, Republic, and Vong were all popular again, and the one Imperial squad in the field went through and won it.
luke hates thrawn
Posted: Monday, April 15, 2013 1:17:49 AM

That Vong squad is probably one of the best Ive seen constructed ever for a current meta.
sharron
Posted: Monday, April 15, 2013 5:09:57 PM

luke hates thrawn wrote:
That Vong squad is probably one of the best Ive seen constructed ever for a current meta.

what was it?
UrbanShmi
Posted: Monday, April 15, 2013 6:20:46 PM

Which vong squad?