RegisterDonateLogin

Remember: Always drink responsibly.

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Members

Some more GAW "customs" Options
Sithborg
Posted: Monday, September 14, 2009 10:32:31 AM
Groups: Member , Moderator, Rules Guy

obsidian7788 wrote:
we need to educate the newer players. everyone recomend wookipedia. maybe that will help. I was at least hoping for some other factions to be represented not just seps and rep. just like in previous 40 piece sets. they seemed to squeeze in some pieces from other factions. funny though theres what maybe 2 fringe peices in this set.

Pointless. The desire for obscure pieces comes from fans of the source of the obscure character. Just reading about it in wookieepedia is unlikely to change whether someone is interested in a character or not.

At my venue the new kids seem to mainly want to play Republic and Seperatist, likely due to the cartoon and prequels. Why should their wants be marginalized to satisify some cult favorite. The EU, even when you combine the fractured fanbase, is small compared to OT and PT fanbase, and the PT is likely bigger now due to the cartoon. It is a fact of life now, deal with it.
obsidian7788
Posted: Monday, September 14, 2009 10:56:39 AM
Groups: Member

ah but yes there is more you can draw from out of eu so much potential. where as the clone wars era and galactic civil war era is finite compared to eu. think of it in terms of that. you can only go so far with a certain character.
Sithborg
Posted: Monday, September 14, 2009 12:39:17 PM

obsidian7788 wrote:
ah but yes there is more you can draw from out of eu so much potential. where as the clone wars era and galactic civil war era is finite compared to eu. think of it in terms of that. you can only go so far with a certain character.

Not so much anymore. Clone Wars is an ongoing series, so that era will be getting new stuff all the time. And sure, you can make more figs from the EU, but how much of that would be "scraping the barrel". Characters so obscure, that more people would question who they were.

I have my personal fave EU characters, but I also know that they are my personal favorites, and don't expect everyone to share my enthusiasm for them.
Draconarius
Posted: Monday, September 14, 2009 2:58:03 PM

Roque Saber wrote:
In the CW cartoon episode "The Lair of General Grevious", Fisto took Nahdar Vebb's lightsaber after he was killed by Greivous. He used two sabers for the remainder of the episode. Looks pretty cool if you ask me...

He also very nearly beat Grevious, if I recall correctly, so he should be a fairly powerful peice of plastic.

Sithborg wrote:
Not so much anymore. Clone Wars is an ongoing series, so that era will be getting new stuff all the time. And sure, you can make more figs from the EU, but how much of that would be "scraping the barrel". Characters so obscure, that more people would question who they were.

I have my personal fave EU characters, but I also know that they are my personal favorites, and don't expect everyone to share my enthusiasm for them.

That doesn't mean they are physically incapable of sliding in one EU piece for each set. Kyp in Entanglements, for example. That would be enough to keep most EU fans happy. I think nearly everyone understands why half the set (or half of almost any set, for that matter) is never going to be dedicated EU, but this almost nauseating focus on the PT is making me not want to go anywhere near GaW.
IG-108
Posted: Monday, September 14, 2009 3:28:03 PM

I find that now with sets probably going PT era, OT era, EU stuff, these kinds of conversations are going to keep coming. When Dark Times comes out, bunches of people are going to be saying how we don't need more Rebels and Imperials or another Vader and/or Luke and that we need to see more EU stuff. When the EU set comes out (forgot the name, sorry), many hardcore Star Wars fans that play the game and know the EU characters are going to get excited, and others who prefer the OT and PT eras will either just pass on the EU set discussions, or act the same way the OT and PT era dislikers are now. And then another PT based set will come out and the circle will start all over again.
You'll see. You'll all see!!! Muahahahahaha!!!!!
Sithborg
Posted: Monday, September 14, 2009 3:29:53 PM

Which is why I like the 3 set system they have. Something for everyone, every year. Anyone care to guess how long the Vong and OR have gone without pieces before.
EmporerDragon
Posted: Monday, September 14, 2009 4:03:33 PM

Sithborg wrote:
Which is why I like the 3 set system they have. Something for everyone, every year. Anyone care to guess how long the Vong and OR have gone without pieces before.

Old Republic's longest time without minis was about 21.5 months. After the faction's initial debut in Champions of the Force (June 6th 2006), it did not see further representation until Legacy of the Force came out on March 28th, 2008.

The Yuuzhan Vong's gap is just under that at 21 months. The faction debuted in Universe on August 19, 2005 and no more miniatures of the faction were seen until Alliance and Empire came out in May 2007.
Mickey
Posted: Tuesday, September 15, 2009 3:49:12 AM

I like how the new set is looking. I think the only time I will ever get disappointed is when they say this is the last set.
Mandalore Da Beast
Posted: Tuesday, September 15, 2009 7:40:54 AM

Mickey, you have a consistent Knack for making good points......
what you just said made me re think this whole set.
ALittleOnTheLightside
Posted: Tuesday, September 15, 2009 8:12:41 AM

I heard rumor that one of the pieces is General Skywalker.
Jediabiwan
Posted: Tuesday, September 15, 2009 8:37:33 AM

ALittleOnTheLightside wrote:
I heard rumor that one of the pieces is General Skywalker.

Yeah, he was one of the ones listed on Ebay with a name.
IG-108
Posted: Tuesday, September 15, 2009 1:42:32 PM

Another thing I've noticed from CW to JA, is that I've read a lot of how many players hate the CW era and don't want to see anymore sets dedicated to the era, but it the first one came out with some amazing and/or useful pieces. GGDAC, GOWK, IG-86, Gha Nackt, the new Commander Ahsoka, ect.
That is in no way to say that other sets in the era trilogy have come out with great and/or useful pieces (Emperor on Throne, GMLS, Vader Legacy, Reikan, Crix Madine, and a whole lot more). It's just that people seem to complain about the CW era sets the most, and it delivers a bunch of great pieces.

Also, for all I know, this could be the same for when an OT based set or EU based set comes out. Now I'll go hide in a corner under a cardboard box before the hate responses catch me.
swmimperial130
Posted: Tuesday, September 15, 2009 2:14:58 PM

IG-108 wrote:
Now I'll go hide in a corner under a cardboard box before the hate responses catch me.

They are coming................ LOL
Draconarius
Posted: Tuesday, September 15, 2009 2:37:02 PM

IG-108 wrote:
That is in no way to say that other sets in the era trilogy have come out with great and/or useful pieces (Emperor on Throne, GMLS, Vader Legacy, Reikan, Crix Madine, and a whole lot more). It's just that people seem to complain about the CW era sets the most, and it delivers a bunch of great pieces.

Well, as you said, the PT and EU eras have all delivered their own awesome pieces, so you can't use that as a judge. I think a lot of people are just sick of seeing CW-everything at the moment.
Mandalore Da Beast
Posted: Wednesday, September 16, 2009 9:57:51 AM

i love my republic army to pieces, but i am tired of the whole CW era stuff.
if they are going to make more CW stuff, they need to come out with more competitive pieces then just the generic filler.
yes, GGDAC, Rex, Yobuck and the new Assaj are nice, but they dont pack the punch that Riekkan, Madine, Thrawn and Dash do.
alls im saying is, if Wizards want to keep forcing every other set of CW down our throats, then they can make it worth our while. and when i say "our", i mean us folks who are tired of CW.
Nightwalker
Posted: Thursday, September 17, 2009 3:41:20 AM

Mandalore Da Beast wrote:
i love my republic army to pieces, but i am tired of the whole CW era stuff.
if they are going to make more CW stuff, they need to come out with more competitive pieces then just the generic filler.
yes, GGDAC, Rex, Yobuck and the new Assaj are nice, but they dont pack the punch that Riekkan, Madine, Thrawn and Dash do.
alls im saying is, if Wizards want to keep forcing every other set of CW down our throats, then they can make it worth our while. and when i say "our", i mean us folks who are tired of CW.

Rex yobuck and ggdac DO make a serious impact in each faction they are in, and each pieve does pack a punch just as much as thrawn, dash, reikkan.
Mickey
Posted: Thursday, September 17, 2009 5:14:45 AM

All I can say is be happy with each new set and do not bash WoTC for once again giving us new pieces. They have a large fan base that spans generations to please. They will not please everyone. I think it is very important for us as voices from the community to support them rather than harass them. Harassing them will only make them think their product isn't wanted. If sales go down with each new set they will only consider dropping it. By coming here and bashing on the new sets telling potential customers they are not worth their plastic will only work to keep people from buying the product. We need to, as a community, try to recruit new players so the fan base goes up. How do you think MTG got so much attention from WoTC? The cards sell.

Once SWTOR comes out I'm sure we will start to see pieces from the storyline in it. That means Sith and OR. So that will be a good balance with the cartoon. That will actually leave the Imperials/Rebels out in the cold which for many that will be a blessing since most think the Rebs are too powerful as it is.
Nightwalker
Posted: Thursday, September 17, 2009 5:23:27 AM

agreed
Rabid Wookiee
Posted: Thursday, September 17, 2009 10:23:50 AM

Mickey wrote:

Once SWTOR comes out I'm sure we will start to see pieces from the storyline in it. That means Sith and OR. So that will be a good balance with the cartoon. That will actually leave the Imperials/Rebels out in the cold which for many that will be a blessing since most think the Rebs are too powerful as it is.

Ahhh...but didn't I hear tell of a live-action TV series that's coming out in 2010 that will focus on the time frame between episodes 3 and 4? The Rebel and Imperial love may not be done quite yet!

Besides which, I tend to agree with the hypothesis that Rebels and Imperials will continue to be a major focus of at least 1 set per year.
Mandalore Da Beast
Posted: Thursday, September 17, 2009 10:28:17 AM

yea, apparently the 1st 4 episodes are dedicated to a young BH named Boba. the kid who played him is slated to play him again.
anything between eps 3-4 would be great, the transition from Clone trooper to storm trooper is something i have wanted to see. its also the DarK Times period, and i love DARK TIMES!