RegisterDonateLogin

Is not something you could learn to make from a Jedi.

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Members

CCC Reboot Week 30, Grunt Options
CorellianComedian
Posted: Saturday, November 19, 2016 3:38:54 PM
Groups: Member

So, there are quite a few pieces in Star Wars minis that were purposefully made weak and cheap to serve as the 'basic unit' of that faction. While I think that was a great idea for a miniatures game, it's really unfair that Stormtroopers and Clone Troopers and the like are ridiculously outclassed by any random fringe piece not named Klatooinian. SO, the challenge this week is to pick very basic piece that is way less powerful than it should be. Clone Troopers, Rebel Troopers and Stormtroopers are an obvious go-to, but you can also choose something a little beefier like the Jedi Knight.

Essentially, just take a basic piece that doesn't have a thematically accurate representation yet, and make it more in line with where it's power level should really be. The piece itself can be complex, but the name shouldn't have any modifiers (i.e. "Elite," "Rodian," "501st" etc. Stuff like "Old Republic" and "Yuuzhan Vong" are fine)

Rules

1. The character must be canon and from the chosen faction when required. They can have affinity, but the character must start in the chosen faction. EDIT: Since Canon is all screwed up, just a known character is fine.

2. You may update any existing versions you already have and/or create a new one. You may update/create several versions of the character but you must ultimately select 1 you wish to run with. (this must be done by the schedule below)

3. Place a hyperlink in this forum to make it easier to find your character. You can just post the stats or image here but if changes are needed it would be easier (and save space) if you just used a Hyperlink (If you don't know how to post Hyperlinks in a forum setting please ask and we will help you. It's not hard )

4. Voting works as follows, pick your three favorite customs based on accuracy to the character, design, balance or whatever you decide makes the best incarnation of the challenge character. First place receives 3 points, 2nd place receives 2 points, and 3rd place receives 1 point.

6. To make things fair you must vote in order to win the contest. You must choose three characters entered in the contest and you may not rate or vote for your own character.

7.. The winner will be decided by how many points they receive. Ties will be broken by most 1st place votes, then if still tied, 2nd place votes and then 3rd place votes. If still tied, then the outcome is a tie.

8. you may not change or update the entered character AFTER the deadline.

You will have until Sat, Nov 12th, 2016 @8pm EST to get your submissions in. Anything submitted after this point will not be included in the voting.

Voting will start at 8pm on Saturday evening and end at 8pm EST on Monday, Nov 14th, 2016.

At the conclusion of the voting the scores will be tallied and the Winner will then post the next round
Lafcadio
Posted: Saturday, November 19, 2016 8:53:37 PM

http://www.bloomilk.com/Custom/27114/generic-scout-trooper

...Does "generic" count as a modifier? LOL Flapper
General_Grievous
Posted: Saturday, November 19, 2016 9:44:13 PM

Here is my take on what should be a true battle droid swarm:

http://www.bloomilk.com/Custom/27116/b1-battle-droid

Yes they cost less than a standard battle droid by one. But those can already be 3 points thanks to Gha. Here they have an interesting ability that is better used in sheer number of attacks on a single hero, as well as a crippling weakness if they lose their commander.
surf_rider56
Posted: Monday, November 21, 2016 6:54:29 AM

Ok, one of these days I'm going to get my sh!t together. I can't seem to find time to make cards Or play lately even though life has gotten back to normal ....

So, grunts ... so many possibilities but the one I want to tackle her is the "average" Jedi Knight. Seriously, if you're good enough to officially go from padawan to knight you should supposedly be able to do some basics things easily/well, do this is what I came up with ....

Never believed a Jedi should run out of force points; some may be stronger in the Force but run out?? Jumping, pushing, some competence with a Lightsaber and don't get me started that a door should ever stop a Jedi.

I tried to keep him simple yet still contain these abilities; would've loved him to be about 25-27 but he is what he is.
donnyrides
Posted: Monday, November 21, 2016 7:00:54 AM

This is really hard. All the grunt pieces couldn't hit anything in the movies.

Here is my attempt. it's not the official "grunt" of the seps, but it makes it's appearance enough to qualify. It's one of those characters that your kids say "Whoa!, that's awesome", then it get's bitch slapped by a jedi. In the movies and cartoons these driods are supposed to be the baddest of the bad and when not facing jedi, they cause havoc and are nearly indestructible.

I give you the Droideka Sentinal

I scrapped the fluffy stupid abilities and made it the way I see it in every movie/cartoon/game which is a massive pain in the butt. I hope you like it and please leave feedback.
donnyrides
Posted: Monday, November 21, 2016 7:29:57 AM

Surf, I agree 100%. an LS can burn through a door and a blast door at the same time, why would a door stop them?? I also think every force user should have renew of some degree. Sure it's a game, but back in the day, it was pretty blah when your Maul ran out of force points and basically turned into a gundark. I actually think attack 10 is low when sooooo many shooters are above that value these days. I think 12 would be a good fit. 18 D says, I'm not super powerful, but I'm still worth using with LS Defense. Super cool piece with The Jedi Exile, Hero of Onderon.

Nice work
jak
Posted: Tuesday, November 22, 2016 5:27:41 AM

when is a clone not a clone?
when it's this guy.........
http://www.bloomilk.com/Custom/27117/gar-trooperThumbsUp
General_Grievous
Posted: Thursday, November 24, 2016 7:44:27 AM

Nice jedi surf! If you want to make him 25 you could drop his HP, change push to push 1 and sweep to Assualt. But as is he is really good too
Kamikaze13
Posted: Friday, November 25, 2016 4:31:30 PM

Imperial Stormtrooper

Trying to show how in the movies they were effective against the majority of the Rebel forces, but not the heros.
CorellianComedian
Posted: Friday, November 25, 2016 10:12:01 PM

http://www.bloomilk.com/Custom/27134/clone-trooper

Nothing too fancy, just making a simple Clone Trooper the way they REALLY stack up to all those random fringe grunts...
Kamikaze13
Posted: Saturday, November 26, 2016 8:27:27 PM

Lafcadio - Generic Scout Trooper

General_Grievous - B1 Battle Droid

donnyrides - Droideka Sentinal

jak - GAR Trooper

Kamikaze13 - Imperial Stormtrooper

CorellianComedian - Clone Trooper

surf_rider56
Lafcadio
Posted: Sunday, November 27, 2016 7:10:45 PM

3rd: Surf_Rider56

2nd: Kamikaze13

1st: General Grievous
Kamikaze13
Posted: Monday, November 28, 2016 3:00:19 PM

1st: surf_rider56

2nd: General_Grievous

3rd: CorellianComedian

Good job guys, all of them are worth voting for!
surf_rider56
Posted: Monday, November 28, 2016 7:54:48 PM

Well, I'm going to make this short since I've had to abandon ship on my old computer and transfer everything to a new laptop. Never any fun but I don't think I lost anything ..... sigh

Most of the entries are the grunt/trooper version of 3 factions; numbers seem to be close so what SA makes you special? Nothing new with your Clone Trooper so pass. Sorry CC.

I like Simple Programming but even if its a negative, 3 is Still too low for me personally. Sorry GG.

That leaves Laf's Sharp Eye, Donny's Overwatch, Jak's Clanker Killer & Kam's Squad Intimidation.

Clanker is too close to EMP Grenade, so sorry Jak ,,,

Long/Short

Donny 3rd Place

Laf - 2nd Place

Kam - 1st Place
Intimidation is a perfect fit for a Stormie

Peace
General_Grievous
Posted: Monday, November 28, 2016 10:30:42 PM

Kam cool Stormtrooper swarm but they definitely outclass their friends Haha.
Surf points for being a unique take but doesn't really feel like a cheap grunt, maybe going more the padawan route?
Laf excellent job but like Kam's I think he just outclasses the other scout too much. Though both imperial pieces are super cool maybe a slight cost bump or dropping an ability would balance it?

This week my pick is:

3rd Jak - Grenade may need tweaking but I like the thematic clone wars build
2nd Donny - Overwatch is sorely needed in the game and is super cool
1st CC - true to the challenge of the contest in my opinion you created the simplest and most accurate grunt, well done
donnyrides
Posted: Tuesday, November 29, 2016 6:33:22 AM

1. Laf - your Scout is awesome every ability works together so well
2. CC - a nice buff to servivability for clones.
3. Kam - I like it and it is more of what a basic stormy should have. I didn't have time to leave feedback, but I would have gave it "First Order" so it could play with future first order stuff like Phasma and what-have-you.
surf_rider56
Posted: Tuesday, November 29, 2016 7:32:56 AM

General_Grievous wrote:

Surf points for being a unique take but doesn't really feel like a cheap grunt, maybe going more the padawan route?

Very true GG, but padawan's can be all over the map ability-wise, but a true Knight should have basic abilities and that's why I went this route. Would any Knight be really cheap if he was capable of Being a knight?

Maybe next time BigGrin
Lafcadio
Posted: Wednesday, November 30, 2016 7:28:12 AM

I believe Kamikaze13 is the winner with 6 pts! ThumpUp
General_Grievous
Posted: Wednesday, November 30, 2016 9:52:49 AM

Nice Kam congrats
Kamikaze13
Posted: Wednesday, November 30, 2016 5:03:34 PM