More details to follow.
spryguy1981
Posted: Monday, April 20, 2020 9:10:12 AM
Groups: Member

Deadline approaching. 3 games left.
kezzamachine
Posted: Monday, April 20, 2020 4:22:09 PM
Groups: Member , Moderator

Hey everyone. I am conceding my fifth round matchup. My online teaching has flared up hugely and I'm not in a very good space for being able to play, certainly not before the round five deadline. My opponent gave me space to try make it work, but I'm too swamped. Hopefully things will improve this week coming.
DarkDracul
Posted: Monday, April 20, 2020 5:19:53 PM

240 Darkdracul vs UrbanJedi 75

Sorry for a spotty play report, I forgot to create a logfile and the game was so eventful I can't remember every detail.

Round 1. Bossk Stun Mortars Rancor but everyone makes the save except for Mira who is activated.
Rancor rushes up towards map center with Pollard, Celeste and Nyax adjacent. I put some damage on the Rancor but Malakilli heals him up a bit.

Round 2. I win init and Stun Mortar twice activating nearly his entire squad.
Dash fires and (good) Mira double grenades to finish off Rancor.

Round 3. Kneesa mutates into a Rakgoul and Pollard runs up to shield the monster. Han and Qi’ra manage to kill Pollard. Bossk spends a turn killing his Kneesa which frees up shots from Dash who Kills Nyax. His bad Mira comes around and kills my good Mira.

Round 4. Jason wins init. Rakghoul fails to kill han. Qi’ra runs around and kills Rakghoul then puts 20 on bad Mira.
Bossk Doubles to kill bad Mira. Malakilli runs up opens to upper turbolift and Celeste runs around and kills Droopy. Han and Dash get a line on Malakilli and take him down.

Round 5. Jason wins init. Bossk moves into gambit and my dudes move just outside of gambit area and Celeste moves a square over inside the upper turbolift.

Round 6. Jason wins init. Celeste comes around and drops Bossk to 70hp. Bossk Doubles to finish Celeste and gets gambit.

The Talon squad had an advantage in this match but nothing a player of Jason's skill level couldn't overcome.
I have no doubt if he'd have made more Stun Mortar saves he'd have been in my grill murdering my squad.
Crazy how much he failed even with force points and sac'n pawns to reroll. He nearly got me locked up with his Rakghouls and Pollard. It was an excellent trap and if I had focused on them his beatsticks would have ran up on me.
Thankfully, I made some decent plays and the Vassal die seemed greatly in my favor. Good Game!
spryguy1981
Posted: Tuesday, April 21, 2020 8:21:17 AM

Assessing a double loss to Kiki and Daman no results no messages about anything. I'll work up playoff brackets shortly,
TimmerB123
Posted: Saturday, April 25, 2020 9:50:50 AM

spryguy1981 wrote:
Standings

*Spry 4-1 13pts
*thereisnotry 4-1 12pts
*FlyingArrow 4-1 10pts
*Mando 3-2 9pts
*Randy 3-2 9pts
*Gandalf 3-2 9pts
*DarkDracul 3-2 9pts
*General Grievous 3-2 9pts
TimmerB123 2-3 9pts
Kezza 3-2 7pts
Darth O 2-3 7pts
UrbanJedi 2-3 6pts
Caedus 2-3 6pts
Dr Daman 2-3 5pts
Kiki 1-4 4pts
UrbanShmi 1-4 4pts

I'm glad I didn't slip into the top 8, because I did not deserve to. I literally didn't win a single game, but ended up barely not making it. I got a bye and a concession/drop, and 3 1pt losses. Had any one of 5 players not gotten a point somewhere along the way - I would have made it.

I think this is as clear of an illustration as to why 1 point losses are, and have always been, a bad idea for competitive play.

Good for encouraging children when they are first learning to play? Sure. You lost but here's a point for trying! But it really screws things up competitively.

Ultimately it should all be decided by record first and tournament points second, then it wouldn't be nearly as much of an issue.
FlyingArrow
Posted: Saturday, April 25, 2020 10:54:24 AM
Groups: Member , Moderator

TimmerB123 wrote:
spryguy1981 wrote:
Standings

*Spry 4-1 13pts
*thereisnotry 4-1 12pts
*FlyingArrow 4-1 10pts
*Mando 3-2 9pts
*Randy 3-2 9pts
*Gandalf 3-2 9pts
*DarkDracul 3-2 9pts
*General Grievous 3-2 9pts
TimmerB123 2-3 9pts
Kezza 3-2 7pts
Darth O 2-3 7pts
UrbanJedi 2-3 6pts
Caedus 2-3 6pts
Dr Daman 2-3 5pts
Kiki 1-4 4pts
UrbanShmi 1-4 4pts

I'm glad I didn't slip into the top 8, because I did not deserve to. I literally didn't win a single game, but ended up barely not making it. I got a bye and a concession/drop, and 3 1pt losses. Had any one of 5 players not gotten a point somewhere along the way - I would have made it.

I think this is as clear of an illustration as to why 1 point losses are, and have always been, a bad idea for competitive play.

Good for encouraging children when they are first learning to play? Sure. You lost but here's a point for trying! But it really screws things up competitively.

Ultimately it should all be decided by record first and tournament points second, then it wouldn't be nearly as much of an issue.

I second this. For a long time I thought record came first and points as a tiebreaker. I was pretty shocked to learn that points were the primary ranking. Or if record isn't the primary critieria, at least make the spread bigger between points for a loss and for a win: 5pts for full win, 4pt win if you don't get 200, 1pt for 100pts in a loss, 0pts if you don't get to 100.
spryguy1981
Posted: Wednesday, April 29, 2020 6:35:20 PM

Did my post with pairings a week ago get eaten? Cuz I'm not seeing it.
spryguy1981
Posted: Thursday, April 30, 2020 8:23:58 AM

Spryguy defeats Mando 216-100 on Spynet

R1 Ganner threw Jaina at Lucien and she put 60 on him

R2 I win init Jaina finishes him off. Mando kills Lobot gangs up on Luke, I avenge Lobot by killing his murderer with brutes, Jag, Ganner, and Ani

R3 Luke dies, I kill seberal and wound others with a big time UtF from Ani

R4 Bad rolls prevent him from hitting Jaina and putting Parry rolls on me. Jaina kills the others. Raana survives as I roll over 200 to give him 100 all 4 rounds both players in gambit.