24 points, Rebel
Hit Points: 100
Defense: 17
Attack: 8
Damage: 20

Special Abilities
Unique
Wookiee
Cleave (Once per turn, if this character defeats an adjacent enemy by making an attack, he can make 1 immediate attack against another adjacent enemy)
Momentum (If this character has moved this turn, he gets +4 Attack and +10 Damage against adjacent enemies)

Rebel Storm Chewbacca is directly outclassed by Chewbacca Rebel Hero from just a few sets later. For 6 extra points, Rebel Hero offers everything from the original, but also adds more hit points, a higher attack, as well as Bodyguard and Demolish. A high hit point shooter with cleave and momentum isn't terrible, but there's little reason to take this original, since WOTC obsoleted him a few sets later, 3/10.
jak
Posted: Monday, August 24, 2015 4:26:19 PM
Groups: Member

ThumbDown he's from Rebel Storm, nuff said
only 2-3 pieces from that set stand up to the test of time.
Gen. Veers is one of my favsThumpUp
TheHutts
Posted: Monday, August 24, 2015 4:34:00 PM

jak wrote:
ThumbDown he's from Rebel Storm, nuff said
only 2-3 pieces from that set stand up to the test of time.
Gen. Veers is one of my favsThumpUp

I think I'd give all these pieces at least a 7, meaning IMO they have some chance of seeing competitive play - they either are useful tech pieces (bodyguard, useful Imperial CE) or are cheap grunts that have received good boosts from the v-set.

Ewok
Twi'lek Bodyguard
Snowtrooper
Stormtrooper
Scout Trooper on Speeder Bike
General Veers
Grand Moff Tarkin
Imperial Officer

We talked about it a couple of years ago at http://www.bloomilk.com/forums/default.aspx?g=posts&m=146096

The average rating for a Rebel Storm piece so far has been 4.2. That's higher than Champions of the Force and The Force Unleashed (lots of bad huges in that set), and significantly higher than Revenge of the Sith.
AndyHatton
Posted: Monday, August 24, 2015 4:34:46 PM
Groups: Member , Moderator

Yeah, personally, I still like original Palpatine and Obi-Wan...but outside of Veers and Tarkin I'm not too sure how many of them are still widely viable. (A few others have some specific squads they can do well in.)

BUT like a lot of Rebel Storm pieces that Chewbacca does have a nice looking sculpt

EDIT: and reading the thread theHutts just posted I said almost exactly the same thing then. Well at least I'm consistent.
TheHutts
Posted: Monday, August 24, 2015 5:36:59 PM

Thrackan Sal-Solo, from Renegades and Rogues

Quote:
14 points, Fringe
Hit Points: 60
Defense: 15
Attack: 6
Damage: 10

Special Abilities
Unique
Double Attack (On his turn, this character can make 1 extra attack instead of moving)
Solo Hunter (+4 Attack and +10 Damage against enemies whose names contain Solo)
Yuuzhan Vong Collaborator (Yuuzhan Vong get +1 Attack for each character with Yuuzhan Vong Collaborator within 4 squares of their target)

Commander Effect
Characters whose names contain Peace Brigade within 6 squares get +2 Attack and +2 Defense.

Thrackan Sal-Solo performs a few different roles, but none of them especially well. He's a shooter, and while built in double is good on a 14 point piece, he only really gets strong when Solo Hunter kicks in; he is an interesting Lobot reinforcement option if your opponent is running a New Republic build with multiple Solos. He also has a CE for Peace Brigade pieces, and he can also pick up stealth from a Peace Brigade Commander, but at the same time, his CE doesn't stack with Viqi Shesh's, and Viqi Shesh feels like a better option for Peace Brigade Thug squads for her 29 points. Thrackan is a handy piece in some situations, but he doesn't feel quite strong enough at anything to see competitive play very often, 6/10.
General_Grievous
Posted: Monday, August 24, 2015 8:30:03 PM

AndyHatton wrote:
Yeah, personally, I still like original Palpatine and Obi-Wan...but outside of Veers and Tarkin I'm not too sure how many of them are still widely viable. (A few others have some specific squads they can do well in.)

BUT like a lot of Rebel Storm pieces that Chewbacca does have a nice looking sculpt

EDIT: and reading the thread theHutts just posted I said almost exactly the same thing then. Well at least I'm consistent.

I used to love rocking original Palpatine with his fun lightning and sweet CE
TheHutts
Posted: Tuesday, August 25, 2015 3:06:45 PM

Qui-Gon Jinn, Jedi Trainer, from Jedi Academy

Quote:
24 points, Republic
Hit Points: 90
Defense: 19
Attack: 12

Special Abilities
Unique
Melee Attack (Can attack only adjacent enemies)
Double Attack (On his turn, this character can make 1 extra attack instead of moving)
Ataru Style (+4 Attack if exactly 1 enemy is within 6 squares)

Force Powers
Force 4
Force Push 1 (Force 1, replaces attacks: range 6; 10 damage; push back target 1 square if Huge or smaller)
Jedi Mind Trick (Force 1, usable only on this character's turn: range 2; target living enemy is considered activated this round and cannot make attacks of opportunity this turn; save 11)

Commander Effect
Allied characters with a Force rating and with a printed Attack rating of 10 or less get +4 Attack.

Qui-Gon Jedi Trainer is arguably one of Wizards best designs - he helps a subsection of pieces with a force rating and a low attack, and boosts their attacks, leading to squads consisting of mid-range Republic Jedi. He synergises well with the Dark Woman from the same set - she can give someone like Dash RS or Cad Bane a force point, and thus a force rating, and they can pick up the attack boost from Qui-Gon. Other strong options for boosts include Jarael and Anakin on Stap. There's plenty of scope for squads filled with mid-range threats, like the one below:

Quote:
--Training, Phasing, Swapping--
28 Dash Rendar, Renegade Smuggler
24 Qui-Gon Jinn, Jedi Trainer
24 Roron Corobb
23 Captain Panaka
21 The Dark Woman
9 R2-D2, Astromech Droid
8 Mas Amedda
4 Gran Raider
3 Rodian Brute
6 Ugnaught Demolitionist x2
(150pts. 11 activations)

This build made 3rd at the Wisconsin Regional this year:
Quote:
39 Quinlan Vos, Double Agent
35 Anakin Skywalker on STAP
28 Dash Rendar, Renegade Smuggler
24 Qui-Gon Jinn, Jedi Trainer
23 Captain Panaka
21 The Dark Woman
9 R2-D2, Astromech Droid
8 Mas Amedda
4 Gran Raider
3 Rodian Brute
6 Ugnaught Demolitionist x2
(200pts. 12 activations)

There have been other pieces made to also boost mid-range Republic Jedi like Yaddle and Jorus, while his CE is very vulnerable to Disruptive since it's mostly boosting melee pieces. But he's still a strong, well thought out piece, 8/10.
TheHutts
Posted: Tuesday, August 25, 2015 7:55:00 PM

Killik Worker, from Warfare and Subterfuge

Quote:
8 points, Fringe
Hit Points: 10
Defense: 12
Attack: 2

Special Abilities
Killik
Bodyguard (If an adjacent ally would take damage from an attack, this character can take the damage instead)
Swarm +2 (+2 Attack against a target for each allied Killik adjacent to that target)

The Killik Worker is part of the Killik subfaction that came out in Warfare and Subterfuge. I need to play around with Killik swarms a bit more to get a feel for how strong they are in that sense, but at least they're interesting for padding out a squad to fulfill the conditions for Raynar Thul's Hive Mind. It's also easy to overlook that the Killik Worker is the cheapest bodyguard in the game. Even at 10 hit points, it can still soak up a big hit, and 8 points means you can bring it in with Lobot alongside four 3 point pieces. It has a low health to hit point ratio, obviously, but it's largely irrelevant if it's absorbing crits from Mace Legacy of the Light Side. I don't know how strong the Killik swarm is, but the Killik Worker is well worth keeping with your Lobot reinforcements just for a cheap Bodyguard, 8/10.
AndyHatton
Posted: Wednesday, August 26, 2015 3:59:04 PM

I don't know if I realized it had bodyguard. Huh...yeah! Being able to fit 2 in with lobot plus a mouse is a deal I'll take over 2 Human Bodyguards
TheHutts
Posted: Wednesday, August 26, 2015 6:46:09 PM

Going back a couple of pages:

TheHutts wrote:
I could go 7 or 8 on him. I think one reason I went with the 8 was that last time I played him was against Republic Commandos. It was an awesome feeling to strip off their Shields and smash them.

I remembered the other reason why I really like the Mando Strike Force Leader. As a cheap commander with Cloaked, he's great for Relay Orders via Kelborn's Coordinated Command. He makes a lot of my Mando squads, especially if I'm not using Vindicated.
TheHutts
Posted: Wednesday, August 26, 2015 6:59:13 PM

Tsavong Lah, Warrior Elite, from Warfare and Subterfuge

Quote:
28 points, Yuuzhan Vong
Hit Points: 100
Defense: 18
Attack: 13

Special Abilities
Unique
Greater Mobile Attack (Can move both before and after attacking. This character can make extra attacks even if he moves this turn, but he must make them all before resuming movement.)
Force Immunity (Enemies cannot affect this character with Force powers, or spend Force points to reroll attacks against this character or to respond to this character's attacks and abilities)
Camaraderie (An ally named Khalee Lah gains Yun-Yammka Devotion)
Cleave (Once per turn, if this character defeats an adjacent enemy by making an attack, he can make 1 immediate attack against another adjacent enemy)
Rapport (A character named Eminence Harrar costs 1 less when in the same squad as this character)
Tactician +2 (Add +2 to the initiative roll except on a roll of 1)
Vonduun Crab Armor 6 (When this character takes damage, he can reduce the damage dealt by 10 with a save of 6)
Yun-Yammka Devotion (Once per turn, on this character's turn, he may take 10 damage at the end of the turn to have his next attack roll count as an automatic hit at +10 Damage; the target and this character automatically fail saves for the rest of the turn)

The original Tsavong Lah has always felt a little underrated to me - he obviously has classic WOTC melee problems with limited ranged defense and lack of damage on the move, but at least he has an excellent Commander Effect, a mountain of hit points, and crab armour. A cheaper remake is welcome though, especially as the top tier Domain Lah Warriors benefit from having a character whose name contains Tsavong Lah within 6 squares. This squad with Tsavong Lah and Warriors made the final of LowerHuttACon this year with Dr Daman:

Quote:
--Lah Dee Da--
30 Supreme Overlord Quorreal
29 Domain Shai Subaltern
28 Tsavong Lah, Warrior Elite
28 Zenoc Quah
15 Yammosk War Coordinator
60 Domain Lah Warrior x6
10 Zonoma Sekot Scout x2

Preferred Reinforcements:
(S. O. Quorreal) 13 Yun-Ne'Shel Priest
(S. O. Quorreal) 9 Dooje Brolo
(200pts. 15 activations)

At the same time, the Domain Lah Warriors are so strong in their own right that it's not a foregone conclusion that you'll actually play Tsavong with them, given that you have to replace 3 Warriors to include him, and they're stronger on the move than he is with Speed 8 and Twin. Even so, Tsavong is still arguably the best unique Yuuzhan Vong fighter in the game, with double, GMA, Cleave, Crab Armor 6, and Yun-Yammka Devotion. He also works in tandem with Khalee Lah, Warrior Progeny, who gives Tsavong Indiscriminate Reactions and gains Yum-Yammka Devotion from him - at 50 points, they're a strong pair. Tsavong is a very strong piece, but his Domain Lah Warriors are even stronger, and he's not guaranteed to see competitive play even in Lah squads, 9/10.
TimmerB123
Posted: Wednesday, August 26, 2015 9:13:56 PM

Love to see how he'll do with the consul. The YV Consul really encourages you to play unique's over nonuniques so that might give Tsavong and Khalee the edge over the Lah Warriors.
juice man
Posted: Thursday, August 27, 2015 6:13:43 AM

Whipped this up.

--Consul--
44 Commander Sha'kel
28 Tsavong Lah, Warrior Elite
23 Zenoc Quah
27 Minos, Yuuzhan Vong Warrior
22 Khalee Lah, Warrior Progeny
18 Yuuzhan Vong Consul
15 Yammosk War Coordinator
13 Yun-Ne'Shel Priest
10 Domain Lah Warrior

(200pts. 9 activations)

Could be interesting, but way, way, low on acts.
TheHutts
Posted: Thursday, August 27, 2015 2:45:40 PM

Leviathan, from Renegades and Rogues

Quote:
60 points, Sith
Hit Points: 200
Defense: 17
Attack: 10
Damage: 30

Special Abilities
Savage (This character must end its move next to an enemy if it can and does not benefit from commander effects)
Speed 10 (Can move up to 10 squares and attack, or 20 squares without attacking)
Melee Reach 3 (When attacking, this character treats enemies up to 3 squares away as adjacent)
Absorb Life Energy (When a living enemy is defeated by this character, remove 10 damage and this character gets +1 Attack and +1 Defense. These bonuses are cumulative.)
Charging Assault +10 (Replaces turn: Can move up to double speed, then make an attack at +10 Damage against an adjacent enemy)
Indiscriminate (When this character attacks an adjacent enemy, it ignores enemy abilities and commander effects that prevent targeting and attacking. These attacks cannot be redirected.)
Overwhelming Power (Damage from this character's attacks cannot be prevented or redirected)
Virulent Poison +20 (+20 Damage to living enemy; save 16)

The Leviathan is a significant improvement on WOTC huge savage pieces like the Reek and the Rancor, but it's still tough to utilise in competitive play. It received a lot of hype upon release, and it does have some interesting things going for it. Melee Reach 3 means that it's much tougher to block against, while Speed 10 and Charging Assault +10 allow it to cross the board quickly. But it also has some severe limitations - the +10 attack isn't especially reliable, and it can only make one attack per round, albeit an Overwhelming Power one, for 60 damage. In competitive play, most squads will be able to outactivate it and then shoot it to pieces, and it's unlikely to get to attack more than once. The Leviathan is a nice enough design, but as a Savage Huge, it's strictly casual, 3/10.
TheHutts
Posted: Thursday, August 27, 2015 8:49:18 PM

Nien Nunb, from Universe

Quote:
17 points, Rebels
Hit Points: 50
Defense: 15
Attack: 8

Special Abilities
Unique

Nien Nunb is an obvious whipping boy - with no Special Abilities apart from unique, he's not very compelling for 18 points, to the point where he was considered one of the worst pieces in the game. Fortunately, the v-sets have given him a shred of dignity back - v-set Lando gives him Pilot and a 5 point rapport. As a 12 point piece with access to Pilot synergies, he's at least respectable - I still haven't seen anyone play him in a tournament squad, but he's at least somewhat viable, 5/10.
CorellianComedian
Posted: Thursday, August 27, 2015 8:58:38 PM

I think nobody would want to bear the stigma of having brought Nien Nunb to a tournament, even if he ended up working out well. If they won the tournament, well, that'd be a different story. But I think there's no crawling out of the eternal bin of darkness for this guy; it'll have to be a flying leap or nothing. Flapper
jak
Posted: Friday, August 28, 2015 3:04:12 PM

A 5!?, I think you misplace a decimal point.
should be .5
this dude a total waste of plasticGlare
TheHutts
Posted: Monday, August 31, 2015 4:34:10 PM

Techno Union Combat Engineer, from Command of the Galaxy

Quote:
13 points, Separatist
Hit Points: 30
Defense: 14
Attack: 2

Special Abilities
Mutant/Cyborg Experimentation (Non-Unique living allies with a printed cost of 15 or less gain Cyborg and Slave)

The Techno Union Combat Engineer essentially gives cheap non-uniques access to Droid CEs and Special Abilities. This is helpful, as there are plenty of strong droid boosts out there - the Battle Droid Officer hands out +4 attack and GGDAC provides huge boosts if you can squeeze in his 55 points, while there are also pieces like the Battle Droid Sergeant. You can also use Slave to access Celeste Morne's Savage CE and Malakili's Overwhelming CE.

Of course, Slave can be a tricky special ability to play correctly with placement - if you don't have a commander within 6, you turn Savage, and that alone makes Mutant/Cyborg Experimentation difficult to utilise. Additionally, two of the better potential recipients for Experimentation - the Klat Assassin and Poggle the Lesser with Geonosian Drones - are currently banned from competitive play. But there's still room for some interesting builds; if nothing else, it's a very useful piece for theoretical problems about getting the most potential damage out of a single non-unique, 6/10.
AndyHatton
Posted: Monday, August 31, 2015 4:55:17 PM

Hes taken a hit with Poggle gone, and not just because of Drones, but that Rapport is really helpful for Muun Guards, PLUS he is a cheap commander to keep them non-savage

This is the edited version since I had to lose Poggle and the CDO, but its still got raw damage

--Cyborg Guards--
20 General Whorm Loathsom
16 Battle Droid Sergeant
45 Muun Guard Colonel x3
14 Captain Mar Tuuk
13 Techno Union Combat Engineer
9 Battle Droid Officer
16 R7 Astromech Droid x2
55 Muun Guard x11
9 Mouse Droid x3
3 Ugnaught Demolitionist

(200pts. 25 activations)

http://www.bloomilk.com/Squad/143170/cyborg-guards
TheHutts
Posted: Monday, August 31, 2015 5:04:45 PM

Have you run it? Feels like some Poggle bombs would be helpful to keep strafers off your back?