Imperial Officer, from Rebel Storm

Quote:
14 points, Imperial
Hit Points: 30
Defense: 14
Attack: 5
Damage: 10

Commander Effect
At the end of this character's turn, 1 non-Unique follower within 6 squares can make an immediate attack.

I've previously referred to Grand Moff Tarkin as the power piece of Rebel Storm, but the Imperial Officer is also a viable contender. Cannon CEs are very strong, and even though this one's more limited than some - it's only for non-unique followers, and it doesn't grant any attack or damage bonus - it's still an invaluable building block for Imperial builds centered around non-uniques. With the advent of Daala, one popular use has been pairing it with the Stormtrooper on Repulsor Sled - the Repulsor Sled can charge 24 squares and attack, then the Officer can give it an extra attack since it's already committed and exposed. Both last year's GenCon runner up and New Zealand's champion squad used this mechanic:

Quote:
--Daala in Her Prime V2.0--
27 Admiral Daala
20 Admiral Piett
16 Admiral Gilad Pellaeon
16 Grand Admiral Rulf Yage
14 Imperial Officer
14 Stormtrooper on Repulsor Sled
11 Captain Needa
8 Mas Amedda
8 R7 Astromech Droid
60 Raxus Prime Trooper x12
6 Ugnaught Demolitionist x2
(200pts. 23 activations)

While it's not the strongest cannon piece in the game, the Imperial Office is very cheap at 14 points, and is very powerful with the right support. 10/10.
atmsalad
Posted: Monday, June 22, 2015 12:23:38 AM
Groups: Member

TheHutts wrote:
Imperial Officer, from Rebel Storm

Quote:
14 points, Imperial
Defense: 14
Attack: 5

Commander Effect
At the end of this character's turn, 1 non-Unique follower within 6 squares can make an immediate attack.

I've previously referred to Grand Moff Tarkin as the power piece of Rebel Storm, but the Imperial Officer is also a viable contender. Cannon CEs are very strong, and even though this one's more limited than some - it's only for non-unique followers, and it doesn't grant any attack or damage bonus - it's still an invaluable building block for Imperial builds centered around non-uniques. With the advent of Daala, one popular use has been pairing it with the Stormtrooper on Repulsor Sled - the Repulsor Sled can charge 24 squares and attack, then the Officer can give it an extra attack since it's already committed and exposed. Both last year's GenCon runner up and New Zealand's champion squad used this mechanic:

Quote:
--Daala in Her Prime V2.0--
27 Admiral Daala
20 Admiral Piett
16 Admiral Gilad Pellaeon
16 Grand Admiral Rulf Yage
14 Imperial Officer
14 Stormtrooper on Repulsor Sled
11 Captain Needa
8 Mas Amedda
8 R7 Astromech Droid
60 Raxus Prime Trooper x12
6 Ugnaught Demolitionist x2
(200pts. 23 activations)

While it's not the strongest cannon piece in the game, the Imperial Office is very cheap at 14 points, and is very powerful with the right support. 10/10.

I agree with everything you said Hutt, but I would disagree with the 10/10 rating. Without an atk or dmg boost and he only affects non-unique followers he isn't an auto include. I don't think he is even in contention for a place in the squad like the OR-Senator and such. His support is extremely key because he doesn't give any boosts and he relies on the synergies in the squad. Hope I don't come off as snobby but I do think he is probably closer to an 8.
TheHutts
Posted: Monday, June 22, 2015 5:35:47 PM

atmsalad wrote:
I agree with everything you said Hutt, but I would disagree with the 10/10 rating. Without an atk or dmg boost and he only affects non-unique followers he isn't an auto include. I don't think he is even in contention for a place in the squad like the OR-Senator and such. His support is extremely key because he doesn't give any boosts and he relies on the synergies in the squad. Hope I don't come off as snobby but I do think he is probably closer to an 8.

It's good to discuss these things - I wish people argued with my ratings more often. Where I'm coming from is that I generally think cannon is such a strong mechanic that almost every cannon piece is a 10 - one of the exceptions is Dray because he's expensive, and he has to replace attacks to give a cheaper piece attacks, but even then he's still good enough to see tournament play.

In this case, there are a lot of different commanders all working together to make a big synergistic whole, and it can be a matter of opinion sorting them out, but in Daala squads I generally think the commanders who provide more idiosyncratic things (movement from Daala, Ysalamiri and flexibility from Pellaeon, cannon from the Imperial Officer, rerolls with Needa) are more significant than the stat boosts (GARY, Piett). He's one of the more popular options in Daala squads, and you could fit him in some Thrawn squads, like cannoning an Echani Handmaiden or something.

I can understand the reasoning for a 9, since the Imperial Officer is relatively weak compared to other cannons, but he's a pretty key component behind some very strong builds. If it helps convince you, I also think I should probably upgrade the OR Senator from a 10 to an 11 - it's found in the vast majority of OR squads, and it's a very good piece.
TheHutts
Posted: Monday, June 22, 2015 8:35:10 PM

Admiral Yularen, from Galaxy at War

Quote:
21 points, Republic
Hit Points: 40
Defense: 16
Attack: 7

Special Abilities
Unique
It's a Trap! (Enemies with Stealth within 6 squares lose Stealth)
Opportunist +20 (+4 Attack and +20 Damage against an enemy who has activated this round)
Recon (Roll twice for initiative once per round, choosing either roll, if any character with Recon in the same squad has line of sight to an enemy)

Commander Effect
Followers without the Melee Attack special ability gain Opportunist.

Opportunist is a great CE, but you'd think that it would be less relevant in a faction that doesn't have access to tempo control. Admiral Yularen, however, synergises very well with another Republic commander, Mon Mothma, who gives out +10 death shots, but even then Yularen didn't come into his own as a competitive piece until the advent of Naboo squads. Most of the Republic's options for non-unique shooters were underwhelming before the v-sets, but with the addition of the Naboo Trooper, Naboo Pilot, and their twin-granting commander from Captain Panaka of Theed, suddenly the Republic had pieces that could cash in on the Mon Mothma and Yularen synergy, like this Dr Daman build which won HamilCon earlier this year:

Quote:
--Death Becomes Them--
23 Mon Mothma
21 Admiral Yularen
20 Captain Panaka of Theed
20 Padawan Commander
16 Queen Amidala
9 R2-D2, Astromech Droid
8 Mas Amedda
50 Naboo Trooper x10
4 Rodian Diplomat
8 Spaarti Clone Trooper Demolitionist x2
21 Naboo Soldier x7
(200pts. 27 activations)

Outside Naboo, there are other deathshot squads that work - the now banned Klat Assassins have featured in Regionals with the Mon Mothma/Yularen backline. Additionally, he's also very strong with Anakin on STAP - giving Anistap a much needed attack boost, as well as extra damage.

As well as his great CE, Yularen's also a respectable shooter, as he can hit for 30 at +11 against an activated enemy. Unfortunately, his low hit points mean that he's unlikely to leave the commander area until cleanup time, but with Recon as well, he can be a big asset in a tight game. Opportunist is a great asset for some squads, and he's a key cog for Republic death shot swarms, 10/10.
TheHutts
Posted: Tuesday, June 23, 2015 6:01:49 PM

Stormtrooper Officer, from Rebel Storm

Quote:
14 points, Imperial
Defense: 18
Attack: 8

Special Abilities
Double Attack (On his turn, this character can make 1 extra attack instead of moving)

Commander Effect
Trooper followers within 6 squares get +3 Attack if they do not move this turn.

The Stormtrooper Officer is a decent piece - with double attack and an attack bonus, he's not bad for 14 points. But Imperial Trooper builds revolve around Admiral Daala, and her charging fire CE is a key feature of her builds. Because the Stormtrooper Officer doesn't synergise with her, he's left on the outer, while lots of other obscure Imperial troopers rose to prominence. Even in Vader Agent of Evil squads, you're probably better to go with Grand Admiral Rulf Yage for cunning attack over the Stormtrooper Officer, while his Commander Effect doesn't stack with Grand Admiral Thrawn's +3 attack CE either. He's a decent piece for the cost with good stats, albeit low hit points, and double attack, but there's no room for him in any established Trooper build. 4/10.
kezzamachine
Posted: Wednesday, June 24, 2015 11:41:54 AM
Groups: Member , Moderator

When he joined the Imperial Army, they told him there'd be opportunities for advancement. Now that he's made Officer, he's stuck on 4/10. Poor Gary. His wife keeps telling him ti transfer over to the Snowtrooper Division...
TimmerB123
Posted: Wednesday, June 24, 2015 11:48:12 AM

kezzamachine wrote:
When he joined the Imperial Army, they told him there'd be opportunities for advancement. Now that he's made Officer, he's stuck on 4/10. Poor Gary. His wife keeps telling him ti transfer over to the Snowtrooper Division...

LOL
TheHutts
Posted: Wednesday, June 24, 2015 12:36:46 PM

kezzamachine wrote:

That's a much better summation than what I wrote!
TheHutts
Posted: Wednesday, June 24, 2015 4:59:08 PM

Cad Bane, Bounty Hunter, from Galactic Heroes

Quote:
43 points, Separatist
Hit Points: 80
Attack: 12
Damage: 20

Special Abilities
Unique
Twin Attack (Whenever this character attacks, he makes 1 extra attack against the same target)
Bounty Hunter +6 (+6 Attack against Unique enemies)
Flight (Ignores difficult terrain, enemy characters, low objects, and pits when moving)
Furious Assault (Replaces turn: Can move up to double speed, then attack each legal target once)
Hostage Shield (When this character would take damage from an attack, designate an adjacent character that is not the attacker to take the damage instead. That character avoids this effect with a save of 11.)
Sniper (Other characters do not provide cover against this character's attack)
Stealth (If this character has cover, he does not count as the nearest enemy for an attacker farther than 6 squares when choosing targets)

Commander Effect
Droids are subject to this effect: Allies with Bounty Hunter who start their move within 6 squares of this character gain Charging Fire +10 (Replaces turn: Can move up to double speed, then make an attack at +10 Damage).

Cad Bane, Bounty Hunter is a very strong commander for the Bounty Hunter subfaction in Separatists. In the often movement starved Separatists, Cad gives them a movement breaker and and a damage boost in Charging Fire +10. As such, he's often paired with Bounty Hunters like Aurra Sing, Assassin and Asajj Ventress, Nightsister, both excellent pieces already, who become top tier with Cad's speed boost.

As well as his CE, Cad is also an interesting attacker in his own right. With Furious Assault, Sniper, and Twin Attack, he can drop 40 damage on a bunch of pieces if you're playing on the right map or if your opponent positions pieces carelessly. He also has the unique defensive ability of Hostage Shield, where he has the opportunity to palm off damage from an attack to an adjacent piece, either an ally or enemy. The combination of Furious Assault and Hostage Shield presents an interesting conundrum, as he can't easily use both at the same time - if he ends his turn adjacent to an enemy piece to take advantage of Hostage Shield, he can only Furious Assault other adjacent targets.

Cad Bane Bounty Hunter is a really well thought out piece, who introduces new tournament builds to the Seperatist faction. He doesn't quite feel like a power 11 to me; as a fighter/commander who needs to be out in the frontlines to be worth his points, he seems fairly costed. But he's certainly a strong base for Separatist builds, 10/10.
TimmerB123
Posted: Wednesday, June 24, 2015 9:26:20 PM

A very well designed piece. Much needed to get the living separatists going. Another one from vset 5. Still one of the best sets to date.

I literally just finished playing against a squad featuring him. My only wish is that hostage shield only worked on living (mouse droid shields suck) and/or shut off when adjacent.

Great fig though. Like Graham said, really well thought out.
General_Grievous
Posted: Thursday, June 25, 2015 6:10:48 AM

Not to mention that if you combine Cad with Prince Xizor he gets accurate shot for some deadly furious attacking. I am more of a fan of droids but he does really help the separatist living and make them more playable. Now we just need more bounty hunters to take advantage of this CE, and there are tons of clone wars options out there
thereisnotry
Posted: Thursday, June 25, 2015 6:16:25 AM

General_Grievous wrote:
Not to mention that if you combine Cad with Prince Xizor he gets accurate shot for some deadly furious attacking. I am more of a fan of droids but he does really help the separatist living and make them more playable. Now we just need more bounty hunters to take advantage of this CE, and there are tons of clone wars options out there
Assaj Nightsister is dynamite with him. She can use Master Speed to run 18 and hit for 70dmg with Twin. Plus, she has strong survivability with Force Cloak and Parry. Basically, every competitive Cad squad starts with Cad and Assaj, and you customize from there.
TheHutts
Posted: Thursday, June 25, 2015 1:37:38 PM

YVH 2, from Scum and Villainy

Quote:
30 points, Fringe
Attack: 10

Special Abilities
Droid (Immune to critical hits; not subject to commander effects)
Melee Attack (Can attack only adjacent enemies)
Twin Attack (Whenever this character attacks, it makes 1 extra attack against the same target)
Grenades 30 (Replaces attacks: range 6; 30 damage to target and to each character adjacent to that target; save 11)
Laminanium Armor (Each time this character activates, remove 10 damage from it.)
Rapport (Costs 1 less when in the same squad as a character whose name contains Lando Calrissian)
Self-Destruct Sequence 30 (Replaces attacks: 30 damage to each adjacent character, then remove this character from play.)
Vong Hunter +20 (+4 Attack and +20 Damage against Yuuzhan Vong enemies)

The YVH2 is obviously very good against Vong, with its Twin and Vong Hunter +20. But it's difficult to utilise, because it's difficult to access in a 30 point reinforcement; Lobot can't access him, so you can't bring in the YVH2 unless you're playing a Jabba The Hutt piece with Reserves 30 or if you roll reserves with CLobot. And as a droid, he might not even be the right choice in those situations - there might be another piece in the same range that's more effective by the time that commander effects are taken into account.

The other use for him is as a starting piece in a Droid squad; in Separatists, I'm not sure that he's a serious option, as Whorm plus two IG-86s are about the same cost and much stronger. He's more interesting in Old Republic Bao-Dur squads, where droids can access double, but not twin; but even then, at 30 points there are possibly better options. The YVH2 is perfectly adequate, but it's difficult to find the correct niche for it, 6/10.
General_Grievous
Posted: Thursday, June 25, 2015 2:38:51 PM

TheHutts wrote:
YVH 2, from Scum and Villainy

Quote:
30 points, Fringe
Attack: 10

Special Abilities
Melee Attack (Can attack only adjacent enemies)
Twin Attack (Whenever this character attacks, it makes 1 extra attack against the same target)
Grenades 30 (Replaces attacks: range 6; 30 damage to target and to each character adjacent to that target; save 11)
Laminanium Armor (Each time this character activates, remove 10 damage from it.)
Rapport (Costs 1 less when in the same squad as a character whose name contains Lando Calrissian)
Self-Destruct Sequence 30 (Replaces attacks: 30 damage to each adjacent character, then remove this character from play.)
Vong Hunter +20 (+4 Attack and +20 Damage against Yuuzhan Vong enemies)

The YVH2 is obviously very good against Vong, with its Twin and Vong Hunter +20. But it's difficult to utilise, because it's difficult to access in a 30 point reinforcement; Lobot can't access him, so you can't bring in the YVH2 unless you're playing a Jabba The Hutt piece with Reserves 30 or if you roll reserves with CLobot. And as a droid, he might not even be the right choice in those situations - there might be another piece in the same range that's more effective by the time that commander effects are taken into account.

The other use for him is as a starting piece in a Droid squad; in Separatists, I'm not sure that he's a serious option, as Whorm plus two IG-86s are about the same cost and much stronger. He's more interesting in Old Republic Bao-Dur squads, where droids can access double, but not twin; but even then, at 30 points there are possibly better options. The YVH2 is perfectly adequate, but it's difficult to find the correct niche for it, 6/10.

He really shines in Rebel/Republic reserves squads with Kazdan if you are up against Vong. But otherwise I think the YVH droids really need a Lando who boosts them somehow
TheHutts
Posted: Thursday, June 25, 2015 2:41:53 PM

I totally forgot about Kazdan - I don't own him and I've never seen him played. I still think a 6 is fine, but I should have mentioned him.
General_Grievous
Posted: Thursday, June 25, 2015 4:11:41 PM

TheHutts wrote:
I totally forgot about Kazdan - I don't own him and I've never seen him played. I still think a 6 is fine, but I should have mentioned him.

That's understandable. I managed to get 2nd place in last years Canadian regional with a super reserves Republic team with him. And I remember bringing in these suckers to deal with a Vong team
TheHutts
Posted: Monday, June 29, 2015 4:53:41 PM

ASP-7, from Universe

Quote:
10 points, Fringe
Hit Points: 10
Defense: 15
Attack: 0

Special Abilities
Heavy Weapon (Can't attack and move in the same turn)
Industrial Repair 10 (Replaces attacks: touch; remove 10 damage from 1 character with Mounted Weapon)
Lift (Replaces attacks: touch; move 1 adjacent Small or Medium ally to any space adjacent to this character. This move does not provoke attacks of opportunity.)

ASP-7 is arguably the weakest movement breakers in the Star Wars minis universe - he only has 10 hit points, and his Lift SA is limited to moving from one adjacent space to another. But a movement breaking is still a very powerful mechanic in this game, so that even a weak movement breaker like ASP-7 has his uses. To some extent he's been outmoded by a lot of popular shooters having Greater Mobile - the two extra squares of movement aren't as crucial for them, even if they allow neat tricks like using ASP-7 to move a shooter adjacent to a door, then shoot and mobile away from it. ASP-7 is probably an interesting option for less mobile shooters who need to stand still to get all their attacks off, like Durge Jedi Hunter, or Heavy Weapon pieces like the BX Snipers. ASP-7 is a weak movement breaker, but at the least he might be a handy reinforcement choice for some specific squad types, 6/10.
Naarkon
Posted: Monday, June 29, 2015 4:59:09 PM

I just wanted to say how amazing this thread has been for me. It has been really helpful to learn about so many different pieces and their uses.

When I first glanced at the latest post I wondered how in the world you could have posted this tomorrow, and then I remembered, oh, yeah. Date Line.
TheHutts
Posted: Monday, June 29, 2015 5:08:51 PM

Naarkon wrote:
I just wanted to say how amazing this thread has been for me. It has been really helpful to learn about so many different pieces and their uses.

No problem, it's fun to do, although I do worry that I'm putting on weight by doing this at lunchtime instead of heading outside!
TheHutts
Posted: Tuesday, June 30, 2015 5:00:07 PM

Chewbacca, Rebel Hero, from Universe

Quote:
30 points, Rebel
Hit Points: 120
Defense: 17
Attack: 9

Special Abilities
Unique
Wookiee
Bodyguard (If an adjacent ally would take damage from an attack, this character can take the damage instead)
Cleave (Once per turn, if this character defeats an adjacent enemy by making an attack, he can make 1 immediate attack against another adjacent enemy)
Demolish (Ignores Damage Reduction of adjacent targets)
Gunner (Can combine fire with adjacent allies who have Mounted Weapon)
Industrial Repair 10 (Replaces attacks: touch; remove 10 damage from 1 character with Mounted Weapon)
Momentum (If this character has moved this turn, he gets +4 Attack and +10 Damage against adjacent enemies)
Repair 10 (Replaces attacks: touch; remove 10 damage from 1 Droid character)

Chewbacca Rebel Hero is a n00b honey trap; while he has a card loaded full of special abilities, most are very situational. Effectively he boils down to a 120 hit point bodyguard and a weak shooter, who has special bonuses for fighting up close with Momentum and Cleave. A beefy bodyguard doesn't necessarily fit into the Rebel mode of out-teching everything, and there are probably better bodyguard options out there anyway - for instance, if you want to protect a Jedi, Ferus Olin has almost as many hit points and a lot more attacking potency. Rebel Hero is also put out by Han Solo Rebel General's Life Debt, which grants Bodyguard to any ally named Chewbacca. A 120 hit point bodyguard for 30 points is a great deal, but paradoxically for such a loaded card, Chewbacca doesn't bring enough else to the table to really shine. 6/10.