RegisterDonateLogin

The Kyle Katarn of intergalactic dairy products.

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Members

Rolling Mini of the Day (Urai Fen) Options
AdmiralMotti89
Posted: Monday, May 11, 2015 12:41:33 PM
Groups: Member

Does it bother anyone else that he isn't on a small base?
TheHutts
Posted: Monday, May 11, 2015 5:07:25 PM

Shae Vizla, from Command of the Galaxy

Quote:
32 points, Mandalorian
Hit Points: 70
Defense: 18
Attack: 12
Damage: 20

Special Abilities
Unique
Flight (Ignores difficult terrain, enemy characters, low objects, and pits when moving)
Mobile Attack (Can move both before and after attacking)
Affinity (May be in a Sith squad)
Bounty Hunter +4 (+4 Attack against Unique enemies)
Flamethrower 20 (Replaces attacks: range 6; 20 damage to target and to each character adjacent to that target)
Jedi Hatred +10 (+10 Damage against enemies with Force ratings)
Missiles 20 (Replaces attacks: sight; 20 damage to target and to each character adjacent to that target; save 11)
Overload (Can use 2 abilities that replace attacks instead of 1 on its turn)
Stealth (If this character has cover, she does not count as the nearest enemy for an attacker farther than 6 squares when choosing targets)

Shae Vizla is a really good direct damage option for the Mandalorians and Sith - she's a fairly average shooter for 32 points with just one shot at +16 for 30. But her direct damage abilities are much more interesting - she has Missiles 20 and Flamethrower 20, while overload allows her to use replace attack abilities twice on a turn. While she's flimsy with 70 hit points, she at least has Stealth and Mobile to keep her safe, as well as Flight to help her speed. She's effective paired with Caedus Sith Lord, who can cluster enemies for her to flamethrower, and she almost enjoyed an outing with him and FlyingArrow in the recent PA Regional:

Quote:
--Dance of Death: Four Ladies--
54 Darth Caedus, Sith Lord
32 Shae Vizla
31 Barriss Offee, Rogue Jedi
28 Mira of Nar Shaddaa
24 Alema Rar
14 Exar Kun, Dark Force Spirit
11 Freedon Nadd, Dark Force Spirit
3 Mouse Droid
3 Ugnaught Demolitionist
(200pts. 9 activations)

Direct damage can be a powerful mechanism in this game, and Shae Vizla is one of the most efficient sources of direct damage for two factions, especially as she doesn't rely on force powers or commander effects, 8/10.
AndyHatton
Posted: Monday, May 11, 2015 5:22:27 PM
Groups: Member , Moderator

Vizla was not in the version that TJ played at the Regional, but she was in many different incarnations that he playtested leading up to it.
General_Grievous
Posted: Monday, May 11, 2015 6:01:53 PM

Easily a 9, she is unique in her power and easily boosted on both factions by the mentioned Cadeus set up or getting Armor/parry/evade in the Mandalorians.
FlyingArrow
Posted: Monday, May 11, 2015 8:28:52 PM
Groups: Member , Moderator

For better or worse, Mira kind of replaces Shae. Mira is cheaper, brings robust door control and Force Sense, and is a Twin attacker. All those together just make her a better option. I'd probably give Shae a 7. She's strong enough on her own that I'd say she's an 8 or 9 except that in most cases Mira is simply better. I have Shae in the squad above in addition to Mira, because they both pair well with Caedus, but Mira is still better. With Rigged Detonators/Grenades/Overload, that's equivalent to Shae's Flamethrower/Overload unless you're on a map without enough low objects. Shae's Missiles seldom come into play, and aren't that great since you probably don't have Exar extended far enough to make the Missiles really work that well.

(And Andy is correct - that was not the version I took to PA regionals. I have close to a dozen "Dance of Death" variants out in the squadbuilder and I really don't know which one would work best - maybe 4 ladies would be the strongest... I've never actually run that exact version.)
TheHutts
Posted: Monday, May 11, 2015 8:32:45 PM

FlyingArrow wrote:
(And Andy is correct - that was not the version I took to PA regionals. I have close to a dozen "Dance of Death" variants out in the squadbuilder and I really don't know which one would work best - maybe 4 ladies would be the strongest... I've never actually run that exact version.)

OK - I corrected the above.

We have a 7 and a 9 so far, any other opinions?
droidadmiral
Posted: Monday, May 11, 2015 9:48:17 PM

TheHutts wrote:
FlyingArrow wrote:

OK - I corrected the above.

We have a 7 and a 9 so far, any other opinions?

Honestly I think she falls at about 8.5 especially if more, disruption or distraction comes out. She is just so effective on her own she should be viable for along time
Echo24
Posted: Tuesday, May 12, 2015 6:10:01 AM

I think a 7 or 8 is accurate. I agree that Mira is almost always better. Has Shae been in any winning squads? She's very good on her own, but part of that is that doesn't synergize with what Mandos really want to be doing (shooting).

She's definitely good, but I would say an 8 tops.
thereisnotry
Posted: Tuesday, May 12, 2015 6:59:19 AM

Shae Vizla is an auto-include at 500pts. The Mandos' biggest problem at 500 is Energy Shield, but Shae's missiles and flames are a very effective answer. Also remember that we have a largely tank-less meta right now, so her other main benefit (40 direct damage every round) isn't really getting a chance to shine.
TheHutts
Posted: Tuesday, May 12, 2015 12:52:09 PM

OK - she can be an 8.

I can't really imagine playing her much in Mandos, but she's respectable in Sith.
TheHutts
Posted: Tuesday, May 12, 2015 4:22:05 PM

General Grievous, Supreme Commander, from Revenge of the Sith

Quote:
43 points, Separatist
Hit Points: 100
Defense: 20

Special Abilities
Unique
Cyborg (Counts as both a Droid and a non-Droid; living; subject to critical hits and commander effects)
Double Attack (On his turn, this character can make 1 extra attack instead of moving)
Melee Attack (Can attack only adjacent enemies)

Force Powers
Force 1

Commander Effect
Droids are subject to these effects: Non-Unique Droid followers within 6 squares get +4 Attack and gain Double Attack.

The Separatists have a lot of ways to give droids double attack or extra attack; as well as this Grievous, Grievous on Tsmeu-6 Wheel Bike, General Grievous, the Commando Droid Captain, Grievous Scourge of the Jedi, and the Geonosian Overseer all provide it. From that list, Supreme Commander is one of the weaker options; at 43 points he's not a robust enough fighter for anything but cleanup, and it's a lot of points to leave out the back. The +4 bonus attack, which stacks with the Battle Droid Officer's fire control, is the most interesting thing about him, but it's not enough to put him over the numerous other sources of double attack. Not quite as bottom of the barrel as Clone Strike Grievous, but not going to see the table, 2/10.
General_Grievous
Posted: Tuesday, May 12, 2015 6:20:53 PM

Ah supreme commander, he was he staple of my separatist squads for a very long time until clone wars hit and he was replaced by DAC and later SOTJ. He will always have a special place in my heart for the early years though. Great piece for it's time.
TheHutts
Posted: Wednesday, May 13, 2015 5:29:48 PM

Domain Choka Warrior, from Shadows

Quote:
24 points, Yuuzhan Vong
Hit Points: 70

Special Abilities
Double Attack (On his turn, this character can make 1 extra attack instead of moving)
Advantageous Attack (+10 Damage against an enemy who has not activated this round)
Force Immunity (Enemies cannot affect this character with Force powers, or spend Force points to reroll attacks against this character or to respond to this character's attacks and abilities)
Synergy +4 (+4 Attack while an ally whose name contains Nas Choka is within 6 squares)
Vonduun Crab Armor 6 (When this character takes damage, he can reduce the damage dealt by 10 with a save of 6)
Yuuzhan Vong Warrior (Counts as a character named Yuuzhan Vong Warrior)

It's difficult for Domain Choka Warriors to see play when they're up against the Speed 8 and Twin Attack of the 10 points Domain Lah Warriors from the same set. 20 base damage and the built in damage boost of Advantageous attack is unusual and strong for the Vong, and they can easily pick up Shaper from a Shaper (obviously....) and Cunning from the Advance Agent Officer as well. But compared to the fast moving Domain Lah Warriors, who can do all their damage on the move, the Choka Warriors can only make one attack on the move. They also have synergy with Nas Choka, but it already costs 108 points to run two Choka Warriors with the 60 point Warmaster and it's unlikely to see competitive play. They really need access to twin or GMA to be effective - I think there's some potential for a new Nas Choka to work with them down the line, but for now they're fundamentally outclassed by the cheaper Domain Lah Warriors, and they're not going to see much play, 4/10.
TheHutts
Posted: Monday, June 1, 2015 7:26:26 PM

Geonosian Overseer, from Clone Strike

Quote:
16 points, Separatist
Hit Points: 20
Defense: 16
Attack: 4
Damage: 10

Special Abilities
Flight (Ignores difficult terrain, enemy characters, low objects, and pits when moving)
Droid Master (Non-Unique Droid characters within 6 squares gain Double Attack)

Hey, it's another way for Separatist droids to get double attack. Despite the extreme fragility of the Geonosian Overseer, it's still an viable option, because it's cheap and because since Droid Master isn't a commander effect it isn't subject to disruptive or Bastila's Advanced Battle Meditation.

The Overseer has seen some action in Regionals, even post v-sets, like this Greentime build that came second in the 2012 Kokomo Regional.

Quote:
--HK Firing Line--
39 HK-47, Assassin Droid
27 Lobot
20 General Whorm Loathsom
16 Geonosian Overseer
64 IG-86 Assassin Droid x4
12 Gha Nachkt
10 San Hill
8 Battle Droid Officer
4 Mouse Droid x2
(200pts. 13 activations)

Despite its fragility, the Geonosian Overseer has some interesting possibilities and its one of the relatively select early pieces that has a chance of seeing the competitive tables, 8/10.
jak
Posted: Tuesday, June 2, 2015 7:17:45 AM

auto include back in the day
TheHutts
Posted: Tuesday, June 2, 2015 2:54:39 PM

Rebel Commando Munitions Expert, from Destiny of the Force

Quote:
11 points, Rebel
Hit Points: 30
Defense: 14
Attack: 5
Damage: 10

Special Abilities
Grenades 10 (Replaces attacks: range 6; 10 damage to target and to each character adjacent to that target; save 11)
Satchel Charge (Replaces attacks: Designate 1 adjacent door as open; it remains open for the rest of the skirmish and cannot be closed)
Stealth (If this character has cover, he does not count as the nearest enemy for an attacker farther than 6 squares when choosing targets)

The v-sets have provided in-faction options for Satchel Charge, so that the Ugnaught Demolitionist gets a day off sometimes. The Rebel Commando Munitions Expert is arguably one of the weaker ones - while it has stealth and can shoot, it's generally not compelling enough for 11 points to take over an Ugnaught or Klat Black Sun Thug. If you're running a Commando squad, it's maybe a decent option, but even then, the main selling point of Commandos is Crix Madine's Cunning +20 CE, and there will generally be better candidates to take the limited number of Cunning shots at the start of each round. The Munitions Expert is a competent door control piece, but pales next to the more efficient options, 6/10.
TheHutts
Posted: Tuesday, June 2, 2015 8:28:54 PM

Zaalbar, from Knights of the Old Republic

Quote:
29 points, Fringe
Hit Points: 100
Defense: 16
Attack: 7

Special Abilities
Unique
Wookiee
Close-Quarters Fighting (+4 Attack against adjacent enemies)
Mighty Swing (On his turn, if this character doesn't move, he gets +10 Damage against adjacent enemies)

Shooters who have bonuses when attacking adjacent enemies are some of the deadliest pieces in the game - think Mara Jade Jedi, Embo, and Dash Renegade Smuggler with General Skywalker's CE. Zaalbar belongs in that category - he's a shooter who gets better when he's attacking an adjacent piece - but he's comparatively weak as he has no ranged defense and because he needs to be standing still to get all his damage. At 29 points, he's in the same price range as some really strong shooters - Morrigan Corde, Dash, and Mira of Nar Shaada are all around the same point cost, and they're all tier 1 pieces, and at least one of them is better than Zaalbar is every conceivable squad. He could be a respectable option in a Talon Kardde or Mitt'Thrawn squad, but there's always going to be a better option out there, 6/10.
TheHutts
Posted: Wednesday, June 3, 2015 8:57:12 PM

Jedi Temple Guard, from Armed and Operational

Quote:
19 points, Republic
Hit Points: 60
Defense: 17
Attack: 7

Special Abilities
Double Attack (On its turn, this character can make 1 extra attack instead of moving)
Clamp (An enemy hit by this character's attack takes +10 Damage and cannot move this round; save 11 negates)
Parry (When hit by a melee attack, this character takes no damage with a save of 11)
Squad Assault (+4 Attack while 3 allies with the same name as this character are within 6 squares)
Synergy +2 (+2 attack and +2 Defense while an ally whose name contains Cin Drallig is within 6 squares)

Force Powers
Force 1
Lightsaber Deflect (Force 1: When hit by a nonmelee attack, this character takes no damage with a save of 11)

The Republic already have a lot of strong tournament builds, and I don't think anyone loves Jedi temple guards enough to want to see them at tier 1, so it seems obvious that the Jedi Temple Guards are primarily for themed builds. But they're a decent enough theme piece, especially as they're tailored to work with Cin Drallig, who gives them Greater Mobile Attack and a synergy bonus. The most interesting thing about them is Clamp - it's the melee equivalent to Snare Rifle, and it's been used on 5 different pieces since WOTC days, but the Jedi Temple Guard is the only medium base piece with it, and might be the most useable. With only 60 hit points, they're going to struggle to cross the map intact, and their best chance of seeing play is probably as a fourth or fifth attacker in a Cin Drallig squad where they can take advantage of Clamp. The Jedi Temple Guard is relatively strong for a theme piece, but at the end of the day it's still a theme piece, 6/10.
TheHutts
Posted: Thursday, June 4, 2015 4:13:38 PM

Streen, from Armed and Operational

Quote:
33 points, New Republic
Hit Points: 110
Defense: 19
Attack: 11

Special Abilities
Unique
Empathy (Allies with Savage within 6 squares lose Savage)
Loner (+4 Attack if no allies are within 6 squares)
Stable Footing (Not slowed by difficult terrain or low objects)

Force Powers
Force 1
Force Renewal 1 (This character gets 1 Force point each time he activates)
Master of the Force 2 (May spend Force points up to 2 times in a single turn)
Burst Lightning (Force 1, usable only on this character's turn: range 6; 10 damage)
Counter Push 2 (Force 2, usable only when this character takes damage: range 6; 20 damage; push back target 2 squares if Huge or smaller)
Force Fog (Force 2, usable on this character’s turn: Until this start of this character’s next turn he gains the following Force ability: This character cannot be targeted by enemies farther than 6 squares away. Adjacent allies are treated as having cover. Adjacent non-Unique allies gain Stealth.)

Commander Effect
Allies named Dathomiri Witch within 6 squares gain Force Renewal 1.

It's a little hard to get excited about Streen; he's not a heavy hitter by himself, and he's designed to work with the also underwhelming Dathomiri Witch. If you want to run a squad of Dathomiri Witches, Streen gives them force renewal and access to ranged protection via Force Fog. But he does have some cool stuff - Burst Lightning is a great way of taking out a scrub while still getting to take all your attacks in a turn, while Force Fog provides him with ranged defense, and Counter Push is also neat. I doubt you'll ever see him on the competitive tables, but Streen is a fun themed piece with some fun force powers, 6/10.
TheHutts
Posted: Thursday, June 4, 2015 8:11:48 PM

Mandalorian Captain, from Knights of the Old Republic

Quote:
23 points, Mandalorian
Hit Points: 50
Attack: 8

Special Abilities
Grenades 20 (Replaces attacks: range 6; 20 damage to target and to each character adjacent to that target; save 11)
Twin Attack (Whenever this character attacks, he makes 1 extra attack against the same target)

Commander Effect
Mandalorian followers within 6 squares gain Twin Attack.

A 23 point piece that hands out twin attack to all Mandalorian followers, as well as being a decent attacker in its own right, is a steal, and from release until recently, the Mandalorian Captain has featured in just about every top tier squad. Even back when the Mandos were a second tier faction, unable to keep up with crucial game mechanics like activations, strafe, and movement, they still got a scary amount of shots thanks to the Captain; really the only things stopping him being in every single Mando squad ever are counters, like Bastila and the Czerka Shield Technician, and the development of new Mando squad types like the Neo Crusaders. The Mando Captain even anchored last year's GenCon winning squad:

Quote:
--Movin Mandos 2014 Gencon Champion--
58 Mandalore the Vindicated
28 Kelborn
24 Mandalorian Tactician
23 Mandalorian Captain
38 Mandalorian Scout x2
11 Death Watch Saboteur
12 Mandalorian Demolitionist x2
6 Mouse Droid x2
(200pts. 11 activations)

Handing out twin attack is obviously huge, and it's not surprising that the Mandlorian Captain is a Tier 1 piece - even though it's limited to Mandalorian followers and it's range 6, he's still a very powerful piece, and a key component for Mando builds. 10/10.