RegisterDonateLogin

Kind of like a fusion of IG-88 and HK-47, but more Bloo.

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Members

Rolling Mini of the Day (Urai Fen) Options
TheHutts
Posted: Wednesday, April 1, 2015 4:14:17 PM
Groups: Member

Wookiee Warrior, from The Force Unleashed

Quote:
13 points, Rebel
Hit Points: 40
Defense: 13
Attack: 6
Damage: 20

Special Abilities
Grenades 20 (Replaces attacks: range 6; 20 damage to target and to each character adjacent to that target; save 11)

The Wookie Warrior is one of the most anonymous pieces in the game. Its stats are unremarkable, it's a nonthreatening shooter with +6 for 20, and Grenades 20 is relatively innocuous; despite its fragility, the Rebel Vanguard from the same set with rangeless Missiles 30 is a much better direct damage option for the Rebels. The Wookiee Warrior just can't do anything well enough to justify table time - it's not completely incompetent, but I can't see it ever seeing the table outside draft games, 3/10.
Echo24
Posted: Wednesday, April 1, 2015 5:32:13 PM

Sion is one of my favorite pieces that I've had a hand in designing. I think he's a lot of fun, and Self Reliant is an elegant solution to having eternal Eternal Hatreds. It really let us stretch the design space that WotC gave us. He's also a cool character in the lore and the original was garbage. As Greentime once said, "It's funny that he costs 69 points because all he can do is suck". Laugh
SignerJ
Posted: Wednesday, April 1, 2015 6:01:49 PM

TheHutts wrote:
Darth Sion, Lord of Pain, from Command of the Galaxy

[...]

With the lower cost than the original, Sion Lord of Pain is more of a competitive piece, but it's still a big risk to build a tournament squad around him. 6/10.

I have to disagree. While the first one was a bit expensive and had its own issues (the low Attack, for example), I think that it's a more usable piece than the V-set Sion. One of the things which makes the WotC Sion worth using is the gimmick of being able to endlessly come back to life, thanks to Force Renewal from various sources and the various Force batteries, plus Sith Recruits for re-rolls. His 16 Defense and relatively low HP didn't matter so much when he was so difficult to chain to a grave. The new V-set Sion, however, doesn't have this ability for endless resurrections, because of Self-Reliant; even worse, it maintained the complete lack of Defense from the older Sion. All that'll really happen with the new one is he'll die, come back, and then die again, until he's reached his maximum of three tries, without having done much of anything. And, while the older one was fun to put into a squad because of all the ways he could be boosted, this new Sion can't be boosted in the Sith faction due to Self-reliant, which makes squad synergy nearly impossible to develop.

tl;dr: I like that the V-sets made a new Darth Sion, but I think that the older version is more useful.
TheHutts
Posted: Wednesday, April 1, 2015 6:20:24 PM

The reason I think the new one is better is that it's less of having all your eggs in one basket - the WOTC one is already 16 points more expensive than this one, and you're probably going to give him access to force points somehow as well, which costs even more. If you run into a direct counter, quite likely as a lot of the counter pieces are very popular, you've sunk 80 points into a very weak 110 hit point melee piece.

The new one still effectively has four lives, which seems like enough to be a major nuisance to a squad that doesn't have a counter. 16 points cheaper and 7 starting force points are major pluses in my opinion - feels like this one is on the fringe on competitive viability, while the old is strictly fun. To be fair, I've never actually played either - although I've watched a game with the new one.
Echo24
Posted: Wednesday, April 1, 2015 6:53:08 PM

Yeah, the issue with the old one is that he has just one trick, and it isn't a trick that wins games. He's too expensive and has too little damage output, and honestly you'll rarely get more than 3 essences of life anyway. Add in the significant cost difference and the new one is much more playable.
swinefeld
Posted: Wednesday, April 1, 2015 7:10:06 PM
Groups: Member , Moderator

Eternal Hatred is not a response to attacks, so Ysalimiri doesn't hamper Sion unless he's directly in the bubble.

I like how he can get Backlash from Wyyrlok to go along with Ambush.
gholli69
Posted: Monday, April 6, 2015 5:03:21 AM

ysalimiri isn't the only thing you have to watch out for though, I've seen him go down on his first attempt at eternal hatred due to force defense, and with no MOF2 that means he 's done. I don't really think either version is very competitive, but they are fun to play in a fun game. I can even live with the no def. that he has but it would have been nice to see him get a little more offensive ability, maybe GMA to go with his double instead of ambush.
TheHutts
Posted: Monday, April 6, 2015 5:22:46 PM

Lobot, Computer Liaison Officer, from Imperial Entanglements

Quote:
15 points, Fringe
Hit Points: 30
Defense: 12
Attack: 0
Damage: 0

Special Abilities
Cyborg (Counts as both a Droid and a non-Droid; living; subject to critical hits and commander effects)
Override (At the end of his turn, this character can designate 1 door that he can see as open or closed; it remains open or closed until the end of this character's next turn, or until he is defeated)
Recon (Roll twice for initiative once per round, choosing either roll, if any character with Recon in the same squad has line of sight to an enemy)
Unique
Fringe Reserves 30 (If you roll exactly 11 for initiative, you can add up to 30 points of Fringe characters to your squad immediately before your first activation of the round)

Like the Rodian Trader, CLobot seems like a honey-trap for n00bs:

Quote:
--Loathsome Intentions--
51 Durge, Jedi Hunter
28 Sly Moore
20 General Whorm Loathsom
17 Boba Fett, Young Mercenary
15 Lobot, Computer Liaison Officer
10 Rodian Trader
8 Gran Raider x2

Preferred Reserves:
(Lobot, CLO) 24 Mistryl Shadow Guard
(Lobot, CLO) 4 Gran Raider

(149pts. 8 activations)

If you're skim reading, it's easy to think that CLobot's fringe reserves are an upgrade from Lobot's fringe reinforcements. Unlike the Rodian Trader, he's actually a pretty good piece, but he is vigorously overshadowed by the 27 point Lobot from Universe; 27 point Lobot with his 20 points of reinforcements is arguably the most powerful piece in the game. On the other hand, CLobot is a useful option for some builds - mostly reserve builds with his Recon and Fringe Reserves - but the builds where he functions well aren't that competitive in the first place. He's worth considering in some builds - for only an extra 7 points over an R7 you get the chance for 30 points of fringe reserves and Recon, albeit on a more fragile piece. But he doesn't have the competitive efficiency of Lobot or an R7, so he's mostly limited to Reserves builds. 7/10.
swinefeld
Posted: Monday, April 6, 2015 8:24:53 PM

The situation seems clear. We need a Clobot boost.

His finger-pointing sculpt seems to be saying "That other bald guy over there is an imposter!"
General_Grievous
Posted: Monday, April 6, 2015 8:52:43 PM

Clobot is an amazing piece for reserve builds especially being 30 points. I came second place in the Canada regional last year with:

--The Republic Pocketbook (Canadian Regional 2014 2nd place)--
61 Pong Krell
55 Kazdan Paratus
33 Captain Rex
19 Monnok
17 Ghhhk

(200pts. 6 activations)

He is a staple for any reserves build and has a ton of great 20-30 point options that can change a game. Mira for example.
TheHutts
Posted: Tuesday, April 7, 2015 1:43:37 PM

Rebel Honor Guard, from Legacy of the Force

Quote:
10 points, Rebel
Hit Points: 20
Defense: 14
Attack: 6
Damage: 10

Special Abilities
Bodyguard (If an adjacent ally would take damage from an attack, this character can take the damage instead)
Melee Attack (Can attack only adjacent enemies)
Melee Reach 2 (When attacking, this character treats enemies up to 2 squares away as adjacent)
Mighty Swing (On his turn, if this character doesn't move, he gets +10 Damage against adjacent enemies)

The Rebel Honor Guard is yet another 10 damage Rebel melee piece - which means that it's time to break out the Ithorian Commander and Han in Stormtrooper Armor. The Rebel Honor Guard is one of the weaker options for an Ithorian build though - at 10 points, it's relatively expensive compared to the better options like Aqualish Assassins and Rodian Brutes. It has some potentially useful abilities, but at 20 hit points it probably won't be around long enough to utilise Mighty Swing or Bodyguard, so Melee Reach 2 is its only point of difference. Not much to see here, 2/10.
TheHutts
Posted: Tuesday, April 7, 2015 7:12:05 PM

Mandalorian Protector, from Scum and Villainy

Quote:
17 points, Mandalorian
Hit Points: 50
Defense: 17
Attack: 8
Damage: 20

Special Abilities
Beskar'gam (When this character takes damage, it reduces the damage dealt by 10 with a save of 11)
Bodyguard (If an adjacent ally would take damage from an attack, this character can take the damage instead)

We covered Fenn Shysa a few pages back, and the Mandalorian Protectors are companion pieces for him. Even without Fenn, the Mandalorian Protectors are a good piece - the combination of Berkar'gam and Bodyguard means that they can take damage for another piece, then potentially Beskar'gam 10 of it away; since they can also shoot competently, it makes them one of the better bodyguards in the game.

With Fenn Shysa's CE, Mandalorian Protectors can also make reprisal attacks when they bodyguard damage, if the attacker is a legal target. Unless you've invested in Boba Merc Commander for accurate shot, it seems easy enough to circumvent Fenn's CE, unless you're playing a mostly melee squad, which means that a squad based fully around Mandalorian Protectors will struggle to utilise Fenn's CE in some matchups; in most builds you'd opt for Fenn Shysa first, and then add Mandalorian Protectors if you wanted to go further in that direction, 8/10.
FlyingArrow
Posted: Tuesday, April 7, 2015 7:42:27 PM

I use one to protect Mandalore the Vindicated in one version of a Neo-Cannon build.

--Tactical Vindicannon--
58 Mandalore the Vindicated
28 Kelborn
56 Neo-Crusader Officer x2
24 Mandalorian Tactician
17 Mandalorian Protector
11 Death Watch Saboteur
6 Mandalorian Demolitionist

(200pts. 8 activations)
TheHutts
Posted: Tuesday, April 7, 2015 8:34:16 PM

General_Grievous wrote:
Clobot is an amazing piece for reserve builds especially being 30 points. I came second place in the Canada regional last year with:

61 Pong Krell
55 Kazdan Paratus
33 Captain Rex
19 Monnok
17 Ghhhk

(200pts. 6 activations)

He is a staple for any reserves build and has a ton of great 20-30 point options that can change a game. Mira for example.

Do you have an answer to the MTB with that squad; feels like most squads with Lobot will use the Muun Tactics Broker to deny you any reserves.

Quote:
--Tactical Vindicannon--
28 Kelborn
24 Mandalorian Tactician
17 Mandalorian Protector
11 Death Watch Saboteur

(200pts. 8 activations)

Fair enough - I guess if you don't have the space for Fenn, you could see a Protector by itself. Still feels like an 8 to me though - it's good, but doesn't have as much utility as the Fringe bodyguards.
General_Grievous
Posted: Tuesday, April 7, 2015 8:56:07 PM

TheHutts wrote:
General_Grievous wrote:

61 Pong Krell
55 Kazdan Paratus
33 Captain Rex
19 Monnok
17 Ghhhk

(200pts. 6 activations)

Do you have an answer to the MTB with that squad; feels like most squads with Lobot will use the Muun Tactics Broker to deny you any reserves.

Quote:
--Tactical Vindicannon--
28 Kelborn
24 Mandalorian Tactician
17 Mandalorian Protector
11 Death Watch Saboteur

(200pts. 8 activations)

Fair enough - I guess if you don't have the space for Fenn, you could see a Protector by itself. Still feels like an 8 to me though - it's good, but doesn't have as much utility as the Fringe bodyguards.

My opponents often didn't chose to bring him as they didn't want to lose a piece each round even a cheap one. But the thing you use is Sense the future to steal their rolls or anticipation to reroll and still get two rolls. So no matter what you are still getting three rolls
kezzamachine
Posted: Tuesday, April 7, 2015 11:49:15 PM

Doesn't MTB get around Sense the Future and Anticipation?
TheHutts
Posted: Wednesday, April 8, 2015 1:13:41 AM

I always thought MTB trumps everything except Never Tell Me The Odds or rolling a 1 - which this link agrees with: http://www.bloomilk.com/forums/default.aspx?g=posts&t=14583
General_Grievous
Posted: Wednesday, April 8, 2015 4:48:50 AM

I seem to recall asking about it and that the first dejerik rolls were cancelled by MTB and both made 1. But then the Republic player could use anticipation to reroll that one and the MTB would not apply on the second initiative since to effect had already passed. Same deal with sense the future happening after. Though from the wording there it seems like Tactica broker has been clarified to be a blanket 1 regardless of any of the special abilities or force powers. If tis is te case good to know.
swinefeld
Posted: Wednesday, April 8, 2015 6:22:21 AM

Q: How does Tactics Broker interact with Recon or Anticipation?
A: Multiple rolls and rerolls still result in the selected final roll being considered a 1. Only in the case of a tie (that is, the player with Tactics Broker also rolling a 1) would the Tactics Broker ability be lost.
kezzamachine
Posted: Wednesday, April 8, 2015 7:46:48 AM

With the mass a swarm squads available, Tactics Broker is one of my NPEs...