Deaths_Baine
Posted: Wednesday, May 20, 2015 2:54:25 PM
Groups: Member

Got some time at work:

Poggle-same as spry
Mace-same as spry
CDO-hit with BAN stick
Panaka/theed- drop rapport and twin
Atton Rand- drop avoid defeat this guy is already one of best shooters in game and can stand to lose this
pellaeon- drop ysalamari-no need for possbile double bubble in imps or 16 point pieces negating force users.
Klat ASS- lower attack, change to stealth and bump cost up a few
All sith force spirits--- tag that they cannot be transferred into or given muur talisman
Neo Trooper Officer- whole new commander effect.
Padawan commander- not work with deathshots.
spryguy1981
Posted: Wednesday, May 20, 2015 3:04:43 PM

Poggle = Lose Rapport, make SD20 into SD10
Mace = Lose Flurry and Absorb
CDO = Make them work only with WotC Commando Droids
Panaka of Theed = Remove Rapport, possibly twin

thats off the top of my list other than banning tempo control lol,
jen'ari
Posted: Wednesday, May 20, 2015 3:16:38 PM

Poggle, Mace, CDO, Panaka of Theed as stated.

Soresu Style Mastery back to the first change

Ysalamiri to whatever would be better

Suppressive Fire to have a save of 11

Bastila to have a range on her Force Power

Klat Assassin to cost 17 (cost ? OR drop cloaked for stealth)

Mando
Posted: Wednesday, May 20, 2015 3:26:57 PM

Poggles CE to be SD 10, his cost is 29 instead of 9, and his Rapport done away with.

Neo Crusader Officer's CE changed to followers instead of allies.

Yun Ne'Shel Priest changed to grant +4 to saves for unique vong only and only against non-adjacent enemies (kinda like how Ranged Defense Expert works)

CDO changed to have its CE work only on WotC commando droids, Cost changed to 27 or 28 and drop the Fire Control.
theultrastar
Posted: Wednesday, May 20, 2015 3:44:55 PM

1. Poggle. Self Destruct 20, to Self Destruct 10, and do away with Rapport.
2. Neo Crusader Officer's CE changed to followers instead of allies
3. Yun Ne'Shel Priest (See post below)

I took these straight from Mando because me and him are on the same page so far.

4. CDO drop Fire Control, I would probably drop the Movement SA from them, just because of how good those BX Droids are. Change CE to where it only works on WoTC Commando Droids. I'm still not sure why this thing needs a decent attack, 70 hp, 20dmg, and twin though.
5. Bastila's ABM shuts off at the end of the round instead of at the start of her next turn.
6. Klat's need to have Cloaked changed to Stealth
7. Mace lose Flurry
8. Padawan commander- not work with deathshots
9. Atton doesn't need Avoid Defeat
10. Lose the Avoid Defeat commander effect in the vong. That paired with +4 saves isn't a good idea.
11. Soresu Style Mastery back to save of 11 against non melee characters.

I am on board with just about all of the ideas that have been presented above, the one that I agree with the most is...
12. Panaka/theed- drop rapport and twin (Deathshots should just be hated out of the game altogether. If the idea is to encourage engagement, why are we punishing gamers for engaging. This is a no brainer, and I have been a strong supporter in this since the Deathshots came out)
General_Grievous
Posted: Wednesday, May 20, 2015 5:55:31 PM

Wuher changed to only affect fringe droids.
Buzz Droids to not affect huges
Lancer to speed 6 and less HP, actually all strafers to that Durge especially
CDO to only affect WOTC droids with his CE and abilities as well as weaker and increase cost
Bastilla to have her affect only go to end of round and start with only 1 force point and it costing 1 more point.
Poggle to giving SD10, drones should still be usable and 2 point pieces already exist (reference mouse droid)
Mouse droid to have insignificant, can not count as a target and can be moved through.
Republic commandos to lose rapport
Vong's priest ability to be changed to similar to ranged combat expert
Windu to lose absorb
Klats to cost of 20
R2-Astromech loses two cable, it's just ridiculous haha
More cowbell
thereisnotry
Posted: Wednesday, May 20, 2015 7:35:37 PM

Here are a few changes I've had on my mind over the years:

Poggle--Lose Rapport. Change SD20 to SD10.

Mace Critdu--Lose Flurry and drop the cost by 5pts.

Panaka of Theed--Lose Rapport, no matter what. Possibly change the CE to "Allies whose names contain Naboo gain Wall Climber and Cunning Attack." Or something.

Klat Assassin--A number of options could work:
1) Increase cost to 16/17, (maybe increase HP to 40 because it's hard to justify a 30hp piece that costs 16?),
2) change Cloaked to Stealth,
3) Lose Jedi Hatred,
4) SD 20 becomes SD 10,
5) lower Att to +8 or +10, rather than +12.
Personally, I think that a combo of #2 and #5 is best, though #1 could work well if they're gonna keep Cloaked. #s 3-5 are options that could make a bit of a difference, but alone will not be enough.

Basilla JM--ABM does ONE of the following, but not both: boardwide Disruptive or +10 dmg. Perhaps let the player choose which one it will be. Several people have suggested that she could start the match with 1 less FP, and that seems like a good idea to me too. If she starts with 1 FP less, then perhaps ABM could stay as it is.

Darth Zannah--remove Lightsaber Combat Expert.

Commando Droid Officer--Coordinated Movement and all aspects of the CE now specifically work only on "allies NAMED Commando Droid..." (and so no benefit to other CDOs or even to the BX Spotter/Sniper). As a person who was on this design team, I can absolutely say that this piece's purpose was only to help make the old WotC Commando Droids playable, so that the Seps didn't always default to the IG-86 for shooters. With these changes the CDOs are still really strong at 22pts, but it is useless to spam them and they only help the overcosted pieces they were intended to help, so it's all good.

And if we're allowed to touch the WotC pieces:
Gha Nacht: Lose Rapport with pieces costing less than 4pts. No more 2pt pieces. Rapport is a great SA, but we have seen that it is broken when it creates 2pt pieces; maybe the simplest thing is to just change the wording of the Rapport SA, rather than making Errata on these specific cards (Gha and Poggle).

Mouse Droid: Gain the following SA: "Diminutive: This piece does not block LOS or provide cover. Whenever a larger piece enters this piece's space, the owner of this piece moves it to an adjacent space."
juice man
Posted: Thursday, May 21, 2015 6:04:38 AM

thereisnotry wrote:

Mouse Droid: Gain the following SA: "Diminutive: This piece does not block LOS or provide cover. Whenever a larger piece enters this piece's space, the owner of this piece moves it to an adjacent space."
Like Chewbacca growling at one in (sigh) episode IV. BigGrin
theultrastar
Posted: Thursday, May 21, 2015 7:14:23 AM

@TINT good call on Lightsaber Combat Expert, and I'm also right there with you on Gha. I like the idea for the mouse as well.

I wanted to clear up my thoughts on an earlier statement I made about Yun Ne'Shel Priest. My issue isn't really with the Priest as it is with a combination of things right now in Vong. I have an issue with Domain Lah Warriors having a speed 8, twin, being able to run 16 squares smack you for 20dmg a pop. Have Evade, Crab Armor. Be able to collect gambit. If they begin adjacent to you, they can double twin you. Oh, AND they have a plus 4 to saves on top of all of that.

So it's really a combination of Domain Shai giving them Charging and Double. The plus 4 to save rolls, while handing out Avoid Defeat. Saves of 7 on an Avoid Defeat is something I just cannot get on board with. Avoid Defeat is strong enough as is.

For me those 10pt pieces have too much going on for them. Way too much. Oh and I almost forgot, they have Force Immunity.
thereisnotry
Posted: Thursday, May 21, 2015 7:49:46 AM

theultrastar wrote:
I wanted to clear up my thoughts on an earlier statement I made about Yun Ne'Shel Priest. My issue isn't really with the Priest as it is with a combination of things right now in Vong. I have an issue with Domain Lah Warriors having a speed 8, twin, being able to run 16 squares smack you for 20dmg a pop. Have Evade, Crab Armor. Be able to collect gambit. If they begin adjacent to you, they can double twin you. Oh, AND they have a plus 4 to saves on top of all of that.

So it's really a combination of Domain Shai giving them Charging and Double. The plus 4 to save rolls, while handing out Avoid Defeat. Saves of 7 on an Avoid Defeat is something I just cannot get on board with. Avoid Defeat is strong enough as is.

For me those 10pt pieces have too much going on for them. Way too much. Oh and I almost forgot, they have Force Immunity.
They're good, but they're not overpowering. I had built a squad with them for the PA Regional, but I didn't feel confident enough with it, so I scrapped it in favor of something else.

I think they suffer from low damage output; 40dmg isn't a lot nowadays...not from a piece that will usually die the same round that it attacks. In my experience playing against them, it was very rare to have one of them last long enough to double-twin the next round. They have +10 attack for 20dmg (w Zenoc's CE and Shaper) and it's hard to boost them otherwise. Synergy from Tsavong Lah costs 28pts. Scarification is hard to use on a 40hp piece. Cunning is too situational. If I'm taking them to a tournament I need to be sure that I'll get my value out of them on their first charge, because I'm not expecting them to live very long afterward. And with only 6-8 of them in a squad, I'm afraid I'll run out of Warriors too quickly.

In my game against Eric (who played this squad in PA), I simply brought in 4 Caamasi Nobles as Reinforcements and not a single Warrior was able to attack any of my main pieces. Only Durge died, after strafing and killing a bunch of Vong pieces. So, although I'd really like the Vong to be able to compete at the highest level, I'm afraid that there is simply too much going against them right now.

So, with all that said, I'm not sure that the Priest is overpowered. At first it seemed to me like he was, but then when I realized that I couldn't get more than 20dmg per hit from my one-and-done attackers, I was no longer concerned about it.
TimmerB123
Posted: Thursday, May 21, 2015 8:16:55 AM

thereisnotry wrote:
theultrastar wrote:

They're good, but they're not overpowering. I had built a squad with them for the PA Regional, but I didn't feel confident enough with it, so I scrapped it in favor of something else.

I think they suffer from low damage output; 40dmg isn't a lot nowadays...not from a piece that will usually die the same round that it attacks. In my experience playing against them, it was very rare to have one of them last long enough to double-twin the next round. They have +10 attack for 20dmg (w Zenoc's CE and Shaper) and it's hard to boost them otherwise. Synergy from Tsavong Lah costs 28pts. Scarification is hard to use on a 40hp piece. Cunning is too situational. If I'm taking them to a tournament I need to be sure that I'll get my value out of them on their first charge, because I'm not expecting them to live very long afterward. And with only 6-8 of them in a squad, I'm afraid I'll run out of Warriors too quickly.

In my game against Eric (who played this squad in PA), I simply brought in 4 Caamasi Nobles as Reinforcements and not a single Warrior was able to attack any of my main pieces. Only Durge died, after strafing and killing a bunch of Vong pieces. So, although I'd really like the Vong to be able to compete at the highest level, I'm afraid that there is simply too much going against them right now.

So, with all that said, I'm not sure that the Priest is overpowered. At first it seemed to me like he was, but then when I realized that I couldn't get more than 20dmg per hit from my one-and-done attackers, I was no longer concerned about it.

Melee Vong with all the tools you mention were still not even really considered competitive before the DS Warrior. He was the piece of the puzzle that kinda broke the combo so to speak. Well undercosted.

The DS Subaltern is clearly good - but priced accurately IMO. It's the cheap speedy warriors that are the issue.

But I ultimately agree with Trevor. Not to the point of needing errata. It's more like a good lesson for future design.

As far as the priest, the +4 to saves is not the issue. It's Avoid defeat (and the +4 compounds that). With a little luck a Vong player could live through several "defeats", and that could be a GIANT swing in the game.

If we were to errata anything in Vong - my vote would be drop giving avoid defeat via the priest.
TimmerB123
Posted: Thursday, May 21, 2015 8:28:26 AM

Repeating what I agree with. Adding on too

Poggle. Self Destruct 20, to Self Destruct 10, and do away with Rapport.

Neo Crusader Officer's CE changed to followers instead of allies (perhaps even just Neo Crusaider allies)

Yun Ne'Shel Priest - don't give out avoid defeat

CDO drop Fire Control, I would probably drop the Movement SA from them, just because of how good those BX Droids are. Change CE to where it only works on WoTC Commando Droids. I'm still not sure why this thing needs a decent attack, 70 hp, 20dmg, and twin though.

Bastila. Start with 1 less FP (ABM shuts off at the end of the round instead of at the start of her next turn is a bad solution IMO. OR needs that to be able to compete with squads that outactivate. Otherwise it's just wait and smash - a bigger NPE)

Klats -Drop Jedi Hatred, Drop attack to +8, and cost 14 (Klat's needing to have Cloaked changed to Stealth I disagree with. Help melee by keeping a counter that only effect non-melee (cloaked) and lessen what hurts melee more (jedi hatred, high attack)

Mace lose Flurry and Absorb

Padawan commander - Nothing (Panaka is the issue. Change him and it's all good)

Atton doesn't need Avoid Defeat (AMEN!)

Lose the Avoid Defeat commander effect in the vong. That paired with +4 saves isn't a good idea. (Nailed it)

Soresu Style Mastery back to save of 11 against non melee characters (Love this)

Panaka/theed- drop rapport and twin CE (Deathshots should just be hated out of the game altogether. If the idea is to encourage engagement, why are we punishing gamers for engaging. This is a no brainer, and I have been a strong supporter in this since the Deathshots came out) Preach on brother!

on that same note - Darth Zannah--remove Lightsaber Combat Expert. (once again - don't punish for engaging)

countrydude82487
Posted: Thursday, May 21, 2015 9:10:58 AM

I agree on some of these, but have different Views on a few also:

TimmerB123 wrote:
Repeating what I agree with. Adding on too

Poggle. Self Destruct 20, to Self Destruct 10, and do away with Rapport. +1

Neo Crusader Officer's CE changed to followers instead of allies +1

Yun Ne'Shel Priest - don't give out avoid defeat +1

Bastila. Start with 1 less FP (ABM shuts off at the end of the round instead of at the start of her next turn is a bad solution IMO. OR needs that to be able to compete with squads that outactivate. Otherwise it's just wait and smash - a bigger NPE) +1

Klats -Drop Jedi Hatred, Drop attack to +8, and cost 14 (Klat's needing to have Cloaked changed to Stealth I disagree with. Help melee by keeping a counter that only effect non-melee (cloaked) and lessen what hurts melee more (jedi hatred, high attack) +1

Mace lose Flurry and Absorb +1

Padawan commander - Nothing (Panaka is the issue. Change him and it's all good) +1

Atton doesn't need Avoid Defeat (AMEN!) +1

Soresu Style Mastery back to save of 11 against non melee characters

Panaka/theed- drop rapport and twin CE (Deathshots should just be hated out of the game altogether. If the idea is to encourage engagement, why are we punishing gamers for engaging. This is a no brainer, and I have been a strong supporter in this since the Deathshots came out)

on that same note - Darth Zannah--remove Lightsaber Combat Expert. (once again - don't punish for engaging)

TimmerB123 wrote:

CDO drop Fire Control, I would probably drop the Movement SA from them, just because of how good those BX Droids are. Change CE to where it only works on WoTC Commando Droids. I'm still not sure why this thing needs a decent attack, 70 hp, 20dmg, and twin though.

The CDO i feel Different about, I think it needs a cost increase to about 26 or so. Coordinated Movement could go, But i think Fire Control is one of the main reasons to play it. I like that part. You could change the Free attack to only Commando Droids, Which would work too.

atmsalad
Posted: Thursday, May 21, 2015 11:10:48 AM

I actually like lightsaber combat expert, what I don't like is the spotters energy shield. Not only does it work on the spotter itself, but any character touching it. I feel like this is the best non cloaked range defense in the game and it is on a droid and not a force user. That irks me something fearce. Lightsaber combat expert makes perfect sense to me in the Star Wars universe, I actually would like it if more Jedi had that ability... But only against ranged attacks and not against adjacents. Few Force users were strong enough in the force to redirect blaster fire from point blank range.

We already have riposte and Djem so to do damage against adjacent melee that attack you. What about creating a force power where you counter attack a blaster shot. Maybe something like "dodging slash: when attacked by an adjacent character without the melee atk handicap you can immediately move one square without provoking AoO and atk the character that atk you." -I don't right these things for a living, lol
TimmerB123
Posted: Thursday, May 21, 2015 11:27:18 AM

atmsalad wrote:
I actually like lightsaber combat expert, what I don't like is the spotters energy shield. Not only does it work on the spotter itself, but any character touching it. I feel like this is the best non cloaked range defense in the game and it is on a droid and not a force user. That irks me something fearce. Lightsaber combat expert makes perfect sense to me in the Star Wars universe, I actually would like it if more Jedi had that ability... But only against ranged attacks and not against adjacents. Few Force users were strong enough in the force to redirect blaster fire from point blank range.

I'd actually be fine with it then. My big issue is that it's a free ability that you can't get around by being aggressive, so it encourages staying far away and locking doors. But encourage opponents to get adjacent - then it's win/win
AceAce
Posted: Thursday, May 21, 2015 11:30:51 AM

I'd errata threads that ask what I'd errata
CorellianComedian
Posted: Thursday, May 21, 2015 11:47:15 AM

I'm not going to weigh in on all of these, mostly because of lack of experience with them, but just a couple of random thoughts:

I'm actually kinda okay with SSM - Now take this long rant with a grain of salt, because I've never played against SSM, and GOWK is my favorite (and currently best) piece. But, I have used Gowk A LOT. It seems like the characters that have SSM are mostly defense-oriented and not that dangerous themselves anyways. GOWK has an awesome commander effect, but it's only slightly better than Grand Master Yoda with Mas Amedda, and his damage output is pitiful. Zannah is also good at not dying, but (like GOWK) her offense is limited to two attacks or an expensive and unwieldy Force power. The other two Republic Obi's have limited FP, no Master of the Force, and still only one of those can get past 40 damage. Old Ben is awesome, but can't reroll, and is 100 points so he's not undercosted anyways.

And if the meta shifts back to melee, these characters (with the exception of Zannah) will be mostly defenseless against melee: Obi-Wan, Jedi Negotiator would then be a 62-points beatstick without melee defense. SSM was factored into the design of these characters when they were made, so LSBlock/Parry/Makashi/etc. were unnecessary at the time. Anyways, there's still a bazillion different ways to counter it - direct damage, Makashi, Overwhelming Force, etc. So, errata'ing SSM would result in:

GOWK: 55 points for a cool CE (that again, can be almost perfectly copied by GM Yoda and Mas) and some good ranged defense. Solid stat line, but will go down quickly to melee (read: any self-respecting Sith Lord can take him down in 1.5 turns)

Zannah: Still annoying, probably would be the least affected by the change, but still won't last as long against melee.

Flobi: 66-point commander with Flight. Surprise move with Flight can keep your opponent from setting up a big triple sith rage on him, but he still doesn't have near the toe-to-toe beatdown capability that a 66-point Jedi should have.

Obi-Wan, Jedi Negotiator: 62 point beatstick without Melee defense (Agg. Negotiations helps, but does it help enough?).

Old Ben: 100 point jedi with NO melee defense.

If SSM is errata'd, I think it should include in the glossary that characters with it also have Lightsaber Block. That's my main beef with changing SSM: 5 expensive Jedi, who were known for their dueling capabilities, have no melee defense.

Now, I don't have any real stake in whether or not this happens: I don't go to tournaments, and my playgroup is fine with SSM the way it is, so take this all as just some thoughts on the issue from someone who won't really be affected by it anyways.

Critdu - I know he's a little over-the-top, but I like the idea of the super-flurry. If you read about Vaapad on Wookieepedia, it seems much more in line with the flavor of the style to keep Flurry and leave out the triple damage on crits.
AndyHatton
Posted: Thursday, May 21, 2015 12:20:36 PM
Groups: Member , Moderator

I'm with CorellianComedian I really don't think SSM needs to be changed back, it might be obnoxious sometimes (mostly GOWK and Zannah) but it is necessary on every other piece listed. I played Old Ben at a Regional this year and if he couldn't have used SSM against melee he would have fallen apart even faster against the Vong squad I faced in Round 2. (He actually held out longer than I thought he would.)

If Zannah and GOWK really annoy people so much to earn an eratta (again they don't bug me too much) I'd rather they just get bumped down to regular Soresu Style than changing Soresu Style Mastery.
thereisnotry
Posted: Thursday, May 21, 2015 1:18:37 PM

With all of the tank-hate out there (rigged detonators, suppressive fire, crack shot, ysalamiri, brutal strike, OWF), SSM does -not- need to be nerfed. Can anyone mention a squad with SSM that is doing well these days?
atmsalad
Posted: Thursday, May 21, 2015 1:23:52 PM

thereisnotry wrote:
With all of the tank-hate out there (rigged detonators, suppressive fire, crack shot, ysalamiri, brutal strike, OWF), SSM does -not- need to be nerfed. Can anyone mention a squad with SSM that is doing well these days?
I do not agree with the idea that something only needs to be nerfed or and errata if it is winning or is unbeatable/overpowered. It can be bad for the game or unnecessary and still need a change.