RegisterDonateLogin

Powerful you have become, the Bloo Milk I sense in you.

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Members

what would you errata Options
TimmerB123
Posted: Thursday, May 21, 2015 2:38:18 PM
Groups: Member

atmsalad wrote:
thereisnotry wrote:
With all of the tank-hate out there (rigged detonators, suppressive fire, crack shot, ysalamiri, brutal strike, OWF), SSM does -not- need to be nerfed. Can anyone mention a squad with SSM that is doing well these days?
I do not agree with the idea that something only needs to be nerfed or and errata if it is winning or is unbeatable/overpowered. It can be bad for the game or unnecessary and still need a change.

Big plus 1. Bottom line is it encourages nonengagement. I'd much rather stand back as far as I can and shoot or lock doors then waste shots into a Soresu Style master.

We need abilities that encourage players to get close and engage. Regular Soresu is great.
atmsalad
Posted: Thursday, May 21, 2015 2:49:17 PM

TimmerB123 wrote:
atmsalad wrote:
thereisnotry wrote:
With all of the tank-hate out there (rigged detonators, suppressive fire, crack shot, ysalamiri, brutal strike, OWF), SSM does -not- need to be nerfed. Can anyone mention a squad with SSM that is doing well these days?
I do not agree with the idea that something only needs to be nerfed or and errata if it is winning or is unbeatable/overpowered. It can be bad for the game or unnecessary and still need a change.

Big plus 1. Bottom line is it encourages nonengagement. I'd much rather stand back as far as I can and shoot or lock doors then waste shots into a Soresu Style master.

We need abilities that encourage players to get close and engage. Regular Soresu is great.
fact, I also wouldn't mind soresu if it worked against characters without the melee atk handicap. (Melee isn't a special ability in my book, it is a handicap and should be treated as such) But like you said time, it still would encourage no engagement from shooter squads. Soresu is much better for the game in general.
Jonnyb815
Posted: Thursday, May 21, 2015 3:04:59 PM

errata should be over the top and game changing cards that break the game. A lot of these ideas are just personal ones if we go down that road with a errata I would much rather not do it at all.
AceAce
Posted: Friday, May 22, 2015 2:42:10 AM

In all honesty, I think only pieces that are continually abusive in competitive play should even be considered...Daala comes to mind. If it is a piece that has existed for some time it should be left alone. If you or your friends or play group don't like it agree not to play it. I see so few posters on so many threads who I have ever seen at GenCon or any of the Regionals I have regularly attended. If you don't play competitively, no offense but I don't weigh those opinions as much as I do from others. Large competitive groups such as NZ obviously hold much sway and should because they play big events and have very good players. 2 guys from Topeka, I don't much worry about their thoughts unless they are precursors to actual abuse of mini(s) and continued abuse at large events.

Also, I think many people (other than Daala) just move on or "self police" with the realization that they simply are not that fun to use/abuse and play. Really, how many people would still be playing Daala today even if she were left intact? Only people that have little regard for their fellow players or just simply want to win with a squad that can make even a lousy player decent. It was a big and important topic last year, now everyone has moved on and wants to play new squads that offer a different play experience.
theultrastar
Posted: Friday, May 22, 2015 3:11:48 AM

Aceace, that is a horrible way to approach things. The casual player should absolutely be kept in mind with erratas, perhaps if the powers that be listen And errata something like let's say Naboo, perhaps It will cause that casual player whose opinion you would ignore to come out and play competitively. NPE's can keep the casual player home man. Everyone should keep the casual player in mind because it should be everyone's goal to bring in new players and get the largest possible amount of people involved. We should never ignore someone's opinion. Everyone is here because they love the game.
thereisnotry
Posted: Friday, May 22, 2015 6:20:12 AM

TimmerB123 wrote:
atmsalad wrote:
thereisnotry wrote:

"...from a certain point of view."

By that logic, we should also ban (or nerf) all tempo control pieces, and Gha Nackt (for the 10 mouse dump), since those also discourage engagement. They're not necessarily dominating the scene right now, but they're bad for the game...from a certain point of view.

And both of those mechanics really do discourage engagement.
--If you're facing an outactivate-and-smash squad, it is suicide to engage (to commit your forces to combat) because they'll just get dog-piled by the opponent's heavy hitters.
--If you're facing a mouse wall, there is no point engaging (moving out to attack), since you'll only be able to kill off 2pt fodder pieces while your main attackers are taking multiple shots to the face.

It's one thing to say that you dislike SSM and want to see it changed; cool, we can agree to disagree. It's another thing entirely to say that something "need[s] a change."
Mando
Posted: Friday, May 22, 2015 7:17:59 AM

I agree with Trevor on all of his points. From what I've seen people posting that they'd like to see errata'd I see absolutely no reason to errata:

Batilla's ABM- this is what made the OR competetive and to nerf it to last only tile the end of the round instead of her beginning of her next turn would make her unplayable if she also started with only 2 force. People just need to accept the fact that Bastilla is what the OR need, and she should remain as good as she is. I just don't understand at all why people are so against her! She's been getting slightly less powerful as the sets come out also, what with Disciplined Leader, and Talon and Pelleons Ysalmiri. The OR don't have activation control or many movement breakers. So why take away their ability to compete? The needed the damage boost very badly. The OR were nearly unplayable prior to her coming out. She's fine. Leave her alone. IMO I think she is the most important peice made by the V-set designers to date.

Mace Windu, LotLS- another peice I don't really see a need to errata. If your opponent wants to rely on luck to win, all power to him. For me, most of the time I play or face him, i just view him as a very consistent 60dmg. Usually when I do crit with him, its overkill. sure you can take down someones big piece with a bunch of crits, but really, shouldn't that be a good thing for the person who invested 65pts to play Mace? With the talk about making melee good again, I just can't understand why people are still so vehemently against Mace. The only thing during playtesting for this piece that I personally had a problem with is Force Absorb, but I don't think its as huge an issue anymore with the current meta. Yeah it sucks that Mara Jade can't lightsaber assault for 120 dmg next to him after being levitated, but that is part of his cost. 65pts is a lot for a jedi. His weakness is being shot at, and the meta is working against him right now.

SSM- its a good defensive ability on a just a few peices, all of which (except for Obi/Ani or Old Ben) don't have a ton of damage output. It's not as bad. Now if it was on a mid cost peice that could do 120 dmg, then i think it'd be a problem, but its not. So it is a ability good for tank squads, and as a huge proponent of tank squads, I think its fine to have. There are plenty of counters to it, and some can be brought in with Lobot.

These pieces/abilities aren't breaking the game right now. Like Trevor said, people may want them done away with, but they don't need to be done away with. Daala needed to be dealt with and so did the CDO. ABM/SSM/Mace aren't nearly at the level of needing errata's as those 2 pieces needed.
atmsalad
Posted: Friday, May 22, 2015 7:41:53 AM

thereisnotry wrote:
By that logic, we should also ban (or nerf) all tempo control pieces, and Gha Nackt (for the 10 mouse dump), since those also discourage engagement. They're not necessarily dominating the scene right now, but they're bad for the game...from a certain point of view.

What "out activate and smash" squads are there? Luke and leia, Snow troops(not anymore), and most good Durge builds? If that is it then I don't see act control as the issue with any of those.(Although I would love to see Dodonna errated) The issues i see are cheap pieces to give them high activations in most cases. Ie poggle, mice+gha and snow troops... On top of them being over the top pieces, L&L, Durge and Daala.

As for gha-nakt, I think the reasons you listed, TINT, are just about good enough to errata in my book. Lord knows there are plenty of players that would love to see an errata and for those exact reasons.

thereisnotry wrote:
It's one thing to say that you dislike SSM and want to see it changed; cool, we can agree to disagree. It's another thing entirely to say that something "need[s] a change."
Disclaimer, I'm not attacking you, but why can't you say something "needs to be changed?" As long as you give good backing behind your reasoning I don't see anything wrong with that. You can still "agree to disagree", as it were. If not the community, then who gets to say that something needs a change? Can only the round table of designers that just banned the CDO do that? They aren't omniscient, they need community input to... I would hope.

But with all of that being said, "I think SSM needs a change." :)
Echo24
Posted: Friday, May 22, 2015 7:49:41 AM

atmsalad wrote:
thereisnotry wrote:
Disclaimer, I'm not attacking you, but why can't you say something "needs to be changed?" As long as you give good backing behind your reasoning I don't see anything wrong with that. You can still "agree to disagree", as it were. If not the community, then who gets to say that something needs a change? Can only the round table of designers that just banned the CDO do that? They aren't omniscient, they need community input to... I would hope.

But with all of that being said, "I think SSM needs a change." :)

He didn't say you can't say it. He said that it's different than saying you want something to change. "Need" is a much more extraordinary claim. If you toss around that something "needs" to be changed when it's more appropriate to say that you "want" it to be changed, it weakens your argument as a whole. I've always wanted the Lancer and Poggle and Gha to be changed, but they never needed to be, the game works with them as is.
TimmerB123
Posted: Friday, May 22, 2015 7:51:36 AM

thereisnotry wrote:

And both of those mechanics really do discourage engagement.
--If you're facing an outactivate-and-smash squad, it is suicide to engage (to commit your forces to combat) because they'll just get dog-piled by the opponent's heavy hitters.
--If you're facing a mouse wall, there is no point engaging (moving out to attack), since you'll only be able to kill off 2pt fodder pieces while your main attackers are taking multiple shots to the face.

Agree on everything here.

Agree to disagree on SSM, but I know it's not changing.

The CDO had to go because it dramatically narrowed the meta. Same reason Daala and Zygerrian had to be nerfed.

SSM isn't the same. I will agree with that.

I have more of an issue with it on a conceptual level than thinking it's gamebreaking.

Attacks are (and always should be) the core of our game. - - - ->
An ability that allows someone to avoid infinite damage from ANY attack for FREE is ridiculous (imo)

Does it represent a Jedi Master well? Yes! But if this game functioned like the movies, it would be the most boring game in the world. It would be play jedi or lose.

The best part of minis (to me) is all the combos you can create and compete with. If jedi are the super ultra powered figures they are in the movies - that's all that could compete, and it would get stale quick.

I think people have to get over trying to make everything in our game exactly like the movies. It is a strategy game first and foremost, and has a Star Wars theme. I love Star Wars, but I love the game for being BOTH Star Wars AND a great strategy game. And since we have 1 million other outlets for Star Wars, our game is first and foremost a game.

As far as activation control and Gha Nackt/Mouse droids - completely agree with Gha/mouse droids. 2 pt high defense walls are not needed in the game.

Activation control, I agree with you to some extent, but I think the meta would get warped by republic if that happened. If we got rid of other offenders first (poggle, gha gnackt, etc) then it wouldn't be as bad. In fact some factions NEED activation control to compete. Yodabuck could get you the activation advantage against anything and then REPUBLIC could pull the wait and smash. The fact that (at least pre-CDO) most factions CAN compete (and several WITHOUT activation control) means we have given enough tools to allow that. Take away activation control as a tool, and not other factions' tools, then obviously the others rise to the top.

It boils down to 1 person's NPE vs another's.

Prestige Worldwide
Posted: Friday, May 22, 2015 8:03:59 AM

What would I errata? I would errata nothing. I enjoy watching the Vset creators use zero community input and continually break the game so much that they have to go back and wholesale errata or ban pieces. For me it's like watching a Monty Python skit.
atmsalad
Posted: Friday, May 22, 2015 8:36:01 AM

Echo24 wrote:
He didn't say you can't say it. He said that it's different than saying you want something to change. "Need" is a much more extraordinary claim. If you toss around that something "needs" to be changed when it's more appropriate to say that you "want" it to be changed, it weakens your argument as a whole. I've always wanted the Lancer and Poggle and Gha to be changed, but they never needed to be, the game works with them as is.
I know how he meant it and that's why I said "as long as you give good backing for your reasoning". Although the game "works" with Poggle in it I feel that the game is being warped when it doesn't need to be. Countrydudes gencon squad is a good example of what a separatist world would be like without poggle.

--Did you Just Hear a Durge?--
56 Durge on Speeder
43 Cad Bane, Bounty Hunter
35 Asajj Ventress, Nightsister
27 Lobot
12 Rodian Assassin
10 San Hill
8 R7 Astromech Droid
6 Mouse Droid x2
3 Ugnaught Demolitionist

(200pts. 10 activations)

Far less of an NPE and has it's week points, I believe poggle needs to be errated and we can just agree to disagree, lol Id like to see gha errated, but isn't the first thing that need a to be addressed and as for the lancer... That was before my time, but it seems like there are plenty of counters to it now.
thereisnotry
Posted: Friday, May 22, 2015 8:37:33 AM

I hear you, Etienne; I know you're not attacking me personally. :) Echo actually gave a perfect summary of what my response to your post would have been, so I'll leave it at that.
TimmerB123 wrote:
It boils down to 1 person's NPE vs another's.
Yes, I think that's exactly it. I remember having this conversation with you in person at FrostyCon a few years ago, actually. :)
[You personally don't want to see jedi as powerful as they are in the movies; I personally want to see them closer to that than they currently are. If only one of us was King for a day....]

IMHO, this is actually what makes the whole "What would you errata" question so difficult: it's an incredibly subjective discussion. It's really a question of "What do you personally dislike and want to see changed?" The answer to that question and is very different than the answer to the question of what needs errata.

Some people are upset that their personal top-priority erratas or complaints are not being acted upon, and yet what is top-priority to them personally is not perceived by the majority of the community as being an issue for the game as a whole. This has been true for me as well; I've spoken (quite a bit, actually) about a number of the changes I've wanted to see made to the game. Very few of those changes have come about, though.

Why is that? Well obviously, it's because most of the community is just plain stupid! lol Or maybe it's because the majority of people don't see those things the same way that I do.

So I have 2 choices: p1ss and moan and complain about how stupid the community is, or I can take a chill pill and a dose of humility and relax, because it's just a game. Nobody's forcing me to play it, and I've got plenty of other great hobbies to delve into.

Obviously we need to try to address the most-commonly-voiced NPEs, because those will drive people away from the game if they don't get fixed...but there's no way we can (or should) address every one of the things that people mention as an NPE.
Echo24
Posted: Friday, May 22, 2015 8:48:18 AM

Another thing to keep in mind when asking "what would you errata" is that the question is not "what should have been designed differently from the start". Errata has a whole logistic mess that most people don't realize.

Without looking, how many unique visitors do you think have been on Bloomilk in the past week?

The answer is 168 as of this posting.

This thread has gotten 564 views since it went up a couple of days ago. How many unique viewers do you think it's had? I don't have a hard number for that, but I know I've personally viewed this thread over a dozen times, and this is only my second post in it. Those 564 views are, I would say, maybe from 30 members. Maybe. And this is all within the confines of BlooMilk; lots of players never visit here!

So if a thread like this is only being seen by a fraction of the community, how do we communicate errata? It's genuinely not easy, but it is important, and it is a significant point against doing mass-erratas.
billiv15
Posted: Friday, May 22, 2015 9:18:50 AM

Just a quick word about the idea of nerfing act control. Act control existed since the very beginning of the game being played competitively.

It's just that powerful of a mechanic. It started primarily with B&B using 5 point Stormtroopers to go last in a round, then first with Thrawn. San Hill was used as a counter immediately, which prior to that only three of us even thought the mini was above a 3 on a scale of 1-10.

Kybuck actually uses act control already, it just doesn't start the game with it. But after a gallop or two, I almost always have it. Urbanjedi's lancer squads did the same. That's why late game, if he lost the lancers, pawning his IG-86 was still a powerful winner.

You can't solve this by nerfing act control pieces in the game. It's kind of like the idea that you can fix melee just by nerfing shooters. You can't, and won't. Just have to work within the confines of what the game empowers. It empowers things like door control, activations, and non-melee.
atmsalad
Posted: Friday, May 22, 2015 9:24:24 AM

Echo24 wrote:
Another thing to keep in mind when asking "what would you errata" is that the question is not "what should have been designed differently from the start". Errata has a whole logistic mess that most people don't realize.

Without looking, how many unique visitors do you think have been on Bloomilk in the past week?

This thread has gotten 564 views since it went up a couple of days ago. How many unique viewers do you think it's had? I don't have a hard number for that, but I know I've personally viewed this thread over a dozen times, and this is only my second post in it. Those 564 views are, I would say, maybe from 30 members. Maybe. And this is all within the confines of BlooMilk; lots of players never visit here!

So if a thread like this is only being seen by a fraction of the community, how do we communicate errata? It's genuinely not easy, but it is important, and it is a significant point against doing mass-erratas.
This has been brought up several times in the past and I don't think this is a valid reason for not errating pieces. How else does someone find out about regional play than on bloomilk and the Facebook page? With that logic we should never change the map list because someone will show up with a non tournament legal map. Yet we still do? Why is that? Aren't we assuming that if they find out about the regional they will ask key questions? Such as what map is legal, what figures are banned and what's the ruling on soresu style mastery?

I'm speaking from experience here. When I got back into the game I tried to find out when the next indiana regional was, with that came searching for legal map lists and legal figures and all of that jazz. Now say I had shown up and found out a piece I was playing wasn't legal... I would have just swapped it out, or someone could have given me another squad to play with. If I am coming to a regional so casually that I don't know about banned figures or legal maps then I doubt I am emotionally attached to the squad I'm playing.

It wouldn't have driven me away from the game. However, by not addressing some big NPE's we are effectively splintering the community and driving away multiple people... Which is worse?
atmsalad
Posted: Friday, May 22, 2015 9:26:05 AM

billiv15 wrote:
Just a quick word about the idea of nerfing act control. Act control existed since the very beginning of the game being played competitively.

It's just that powerful of a mechanic. It started primarily with B&B using 5 point Stormtroopers to go last in a round, then first with Thrawn. San Hill was used as a counter immediately, which prior to that only three of us even thought the mini was above a 3 on a scale of 1-10.

Kybuck actually uses act control already, it just doesn't start the game with it. But after a gallop or two, I almost always have it. Urbanjedi's lancer squads did the same. That's why late game, if he lost the lancers, pawning his IG-86 was still a powerful winner.

You can't solve this by nerfing act control pieces in the game. It's kind of like the idea that you can fix melee just by nerfing shooters. You can't, and won't. Just have to work within the confines of what the game empowers. It empowers things like door control, activations, and non-melee.

I like how you put that, good post!
knightmare1233
Posted: Friday, May 22, 2015 9:35:52 AM

When I pulled San Hill from a ROTS booster, my initial reaction was that the 1 per phase was supposed to be a drawback to the character who offered sep reserves. I don't know if that was the intent of the design or not.

We played mostly 100 pt games in our playgroup back then and the benefit of activation control wasn't obvious to us because you only really had 1-2 attackers.
Echo24
Posted: Friday, May 22, 2015 9:36:32 AM

atmsalad wrote:
Echo24 wrote:

This has been brought up several times in the past and I don't think this is a valid reason for not errating pieces. How else does someone find out about regional play than on bloomilk and the Facebook page? With that logic we should never change the map list because someone will show up with a non tournament legal map. Yet we still do? Why is that? Aren't we assuming that if they find out about the regional they will ask key questions? Such as what map is legal, what figures are banned and what's the ruling on soresu style mastery?

I'm speaking from experience here. When I got back into the game I tried to find out when the next indiana regional was, with that came searching for legal map lists and legal figures and all of that jazz. Now say I had shown up and found out a piece I was playing wasn't legal... I would have just swapped it out, or someone could have given me another squad to play with. If I am coming to a regional so casually that I don't know about banned figures or legal maps then I doubt I am emotionally attached to the squad I'm playing.

It wouldn't have driven me away from the game. However, by not addressing some big NPE's we are effectively splintering the community and driving away multiple people... Which is worse?

You're right that it doesn't have a lot of impact on competitive play, but it has a ton of impact on casual play. Regionals are not the only important aspect of SWM.

Lets say we ban Poggle. Then in set 12 we create a piece that is fine and balanced without Poggle around, but is totally broken with him around. Some players won't know that Poggle is banned because they don't follow the boards closely and don't attend major events. They now have a totally broken version of the game, and probably stop playing. If we do a dozen erratas, that makes it even worse, because it becomes much much more likely that this happens.

The fact that when you started playing again you immediately wanted to attend a regional makes you an anomaly, not the average player. Errata would be great for you, but could easily ruin the game for others.

I'm not even saying "We should never ever do errata or banning because of this"; I supported the CDO ban. I'm saying that it needs to be kept in mind and is a good reason to not be too quick to errata/ban.
fingersandteeth
Posted: Friday, May 22, 2015 9:40:00 AM

atmsalad wrote:
Countrydudes gencon squad is a good example of what a separatist world would be like without poggle.

it would probably be more like this.

--Durge and Gha--
56 Durge on Speeder
43 Cad Bane, Bounty Hunter
35 Asajj Ventress, Nightsister
27 Lobot
12 Gha Nacht
10 San Hill
6 Mouse Droid X7
3 Ugnaught Demolitionist

(200pts. 15 activations)