RegisterDonateLogin

Caution: May bring balance to the Force.

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Members

what would you errata Options
billiv15
Posted: Friday, May 22, 2015 9:40:09 AM
Groups: Member

knightmare1233 wrote:
When I pulled San Hill from a ROTS booster, my initial reaction was that the 1 per phase was supposed to be a drawback to the character who offered sep reserves. I don't know if that was the intent of the design or not.

We played mostly 100 pt games in our playgroup back then and the benefit of activation control wasn't obvious to us because you only really had 1-2 attackers.

Yep, there were three of us using him as a weapon. IKillGungans (German Champion several times), and Sithborg. I got turned onto him by these two.

And until B&B was shown to be a winner and the new gate keeper, we had few converts. Afterwards, we got quite a few people on board.

One of my favorite oldies was to use Tyranus and Aurra (Sep) with San, and the MTB, where'd I'd off San after setting up my early round strike.
atmsalad
Posted: Friday, May 22, 2015 9:55:31 AM

fingersandteeth wrote:
atmsalad wrote:
Countrydudes gencon squad is a good example of what a separatist world would be like without poggle.

it would probably be more like this.

--Durge and Gha--
56 Durge on Speeder
43 Cad Bane, Bounty Hunter
35 Asajj Ventress, Nightsister
27 Lobot
12 Gha Nacht
10 San Hill
6 Mouse Droid X7
3 Ugnaught Demolitionist

(200pts. 15 activations)

... At least the mouse droids don't explode -_-
knightmare1233
Posted: Friday, May 22, 2015 10:38:15 AM

The vset designers have the burden of trying to design figures that are strong enough to see competitive play but not broken.

The IG 86 droids are really good, so in order to create a playable droid they have to be as good as the igs. CDO went a little too far and only made CDOs playable and not the original commando droid.

I don't see the point in having vsets if we aren't going to make competitive figures. Some figures are going to be broken when players attempt to break them in a competitive environment. I am glad to see that there is discussion about toning some of the more powerful vset figs down.

atmsalad
Posted: Friday, May 22, 2015 10:47:30 AM

Echo24 wrote:
You're right that it doesn't have a lot of impact on competitive play, but it has a ton of impact on casual play. Regionals are not the only important aspect of SWM.
I wasn't trying to imply that regionals are the only important aspect of SWM. Sad

Echo24 wrote:
Lets say we ban Poggle. Then in set 12 we create a piece that is fine and balanced without Poggle around, but is totally broken with him around. Some players won't know that Poggle is banned because they don't follow the boards closely and don't attend major events. They now have a totally broken version of the game, and probably stop playing. If we do a dozen erratas, that makes it even worse, because it becomes much much more likely that this happens.
Where are they going to find information on these new pieces? Is there another source beside bloomilk for V-Set cards? I'm just saying... If we start banning figures or making errata's the people that are playing v-sets will eventually find out about it. Besides, the likelihood of driving away players in this way is very slim. The likelihood of losing players, such as Lou and myself, to the active SWM community if nothing changes is far greater.ThumbDown

Echo24 wrote:
The fact that when you started playing again you immediately wanted to attend a regional makes you an anomaly, not the average player. Errata would be great for you, but could easily ruin the game for others.
Touché! I am one of a kind!! ThumpUp

Echo24 wrote:
I'm not even saying "We should never ever do errata or banning because of this"; I supported the CDO ban. I'm saying that it needs to be kept in mind and is a good reason to not be too quick to errata/ban.
I still see it as a very poor reason for points already stated, but agreeing to disagree Wink
General_Grievous
Posted: Friday, May 22, 2015 10:56:00 AM

fingersandteeth wrote:
atmsalad wrote:
Countrydudes gencon squad is a good example of what a separatist world would be like without poggle.

it would probably be more like this.

--Durge and Gha--
56 Durge on Speeder
43 Cad Bane, Bounty Hunter
35 Asajj Ventress, Nightsister
27 Lobot
12 Gha Nacht
10 San Hill
6 Mouse Droid X7
3 Ugnaught Demolitionist

(200pts. 15 activations)

I won the Canadian regional without Poggle or drones in a separatist squad.
Echo24
Posted: Friday, May 22, 2015 11:00:40 AM

atmsalad wrote:

Echo24 wrote:
Lets say we ban Poggle. Then in set 12 we create a piece that is fine and balanced without Poggle around, but is totally broken with him around. Some players won't know that Poggle is banned because they don't follow the boards closely and don't attend major events. They now have a totally broken version of the game, and probably stop playing. If we do a dozen erratas, that makes it even worse, because it becomes much much more likely that this happens.
Where are they going to find information on these new pieces? Is there another source beside bloomilk for V-Set cards? I'm just saying... If we start banning figures or making errata's the people that are playing v-sets will eventually find out about it. Besides, the likelihood of driving away players in this way is very slim. The likelihood of losing players, such as Lou and myself, to the active SWM community if nothing changes is far greater.ThumbDown

They get in touch with Jason or Eric directly. Or through Facebook. Or they only come on BlooMilk to get the new cards. Or they just print them out themselves. I recently learned that Nickname has a group that still plays weekly; they use V-sets, but nobody there ever gets on Bloomilk or Gamers.

I think the likelihood of driving those players away is exceptionally high because like I said, new designs would be based on the erratas/bans, and would likely be very broken if you aren't playing with those changes. That would be incredibly easy, and it would make their experience with the game far worse than yours is right now. They're also less invested in the game than you, so it's easier for them to leave.

The designers have to take every player into consideration, including the ones that don't visit Bloomilk regularly or don't read the forums. Errata won't benefit them at all, but it will hurt them significantly because they will start getting stats for characters that are balanced in what is basically a different game from what they play.
Deaths_Baine
Posted: Friday, May 22, 2015 11:07:05 AM

Echo24 wrote:
atmsalad wrote:

Echo24 wrote:

They get in touch with Jason or Eric directly. Or through Facebook. Or they only come on BlooMilk to get the new cards. Or they just print them out themselves. I recently learned that Nickname has a group that still plays weekly; they use V-sets, but nobody there ever gets on Bloomilk or Gamers.

I think the likelihood of driving those players away is exceptionally high because like I said, new designs would be based on the erratas/bans, and would likely be very broken if you aren't playing with those changes. That would be incredibly easy, and it would make their experience with the game far worse than yours is right now. They're also less invested in the game than you, so it's easier for them to leave.

The designers have to take every player into consideration, including the ones that don't visit Bloomilk regularly or don't read the forums. Errata won't benefit them at all, but it will hurt them significantly because they will start getting stats for characters that are balanced in what is basically a different game from what they play.

weak argument, have lou, engineer, whoever else it is that sets them up with the cards send them a list of erratas in the package that contains the cards... wow.. what a simple fix. and if they come to bloomilk to print the v-sets themselves, then it is their fault if they miss an errata.
Echo24
Posted: Friday, May 22, 2015 11:12:33 AM

Deaths_Baine wrote:
and if they come to bloomilk to print the v-sets themselves, then it is their fault if they miss an errata.

That's not really how we want to treat our players.
Deaths_Baine
Posted: Friday, May 22, 2015 11:20:19 AM

Echo24 wrote:
Deaths_Baine wrote:
and if they come to bloomilk to print the v-sets themselves, then it is their fault if they miss an errata.

That's not really how we want to treat our players.

oh please like you cater to the people that don't comment on here lol. you say you take them into consideration, but if they are not talking or having input then how do you know they are using your v-sets, or not banning or making erratas themselves. fact is you won't please everyone and using these "ghosts" as a shield is sad.
Deaths_Baine
Posted: Friday, May 22, 2015 12:01:56 PM

look, i am sorry for my attitude but this has been beaten to death by both sides of the field on here... and frankly the defense for not making changes is getting more and more ludicrous by the day, well, we don't want to make changes to wizards stuff to protect the integrity of the game (While also saying Wizards left us with a broken game... crazy, fix the issues), then it is well an npe for one is not an npe for another (Best argument if you ask me), to now saying, we don't want to upset some phantom players that have no input AT ALL on the game other then what they do on their own (all i can say is wow....)

So to the first one, if you know Wizards left the game in such a bad state why not fix that state? errata dodona to work like san hill, or ban act control. all this talk about yobuck being to good if that happens makes me chuckle because it is easy enough to make pieces to counter yobuck. as a matter of fact yobuck has done nothing in the Legacy version with the changes we made, which includes banning act control.

people are also openly admitting that melee is a disadvantage to begin with, why not extend a disadvantage to shooters. a piece that says if an ally with melee attack within 6 squares is attacked by an enemy further then 6 squares away they get -4 to their attack, or allies with melee attack within 6 squares gain elusive target (+ 4 defense against enemies further then 6 squares away.)

The whats an npe for some may not be for others. yeah, i get this, and there is no simple solution here. My suggestion would be to listen to what has been bashed for YEARS literally YEARS by a pretty dang big majority poggle for starters on this one.

the last one... i won't even address again it is so sad.
countrydude82487
Posted: Friday, May 22, 2015 12:49:52 PM

Deaths_Baine wrote:

So to the first one, if you know Wizards left the game in such a bad state why not fix that state? errata dodona to work like san hill, or ban act control. all this talk about yobuck being to good if that happens makes me chuckle because it is easy enough to make pieces to counter yobuck. as a matter of fact yobuck has done nothing in the Legacy version with the changes we made, which includes banning act control.

I may not Necessarily be in the Majority here, but i actually don't mind Activation control. I also don't spam Figures Usually. Not my style.
Deaths_Baine wrote:

people are also openly admitting that melee is a disadvantage to begin with, why not extend a disadvantage to shooters. a piece that says if an ally with melee attack within 6 squares is attacked by an enemy further then 6 squares away they get -4 to their attack, or allies with melee attack within 6 squares gain elusive target (+ 4 defense against enemies further then 6 squares away.)

Not a bad idea. THat would work.

Deaths_Baine
Posted: Friday, May 22, 2015 1:06:22 PM

countrydude82487 wrote:
Deaths_Baine wrote:

[quote=Deaths_Baine]

Not a bad idea. THat would work.

sometimes good ideas come from the weirdest places. lol
fingersandteeth
Posted: Friday, May 22, 2015 1:28:41 PM

Deaths_Baine wrote:

who says they left it in a bad state? They left it in an UNBALANCED state, but the game was plenty fun with some great figures but a large disparity between the best and the worst. Vsets tried to bring the crap factions to the fore which they did within 2 sets and since then they've been slowly increasing the number of top tier figs.
The mechanics of the game means increased activations create and advantage, pieces like dodonna and San hill increase that fact. Removing them won't change that issue and i'm one of those people who think it brings a certain identity to those factions that have it.

Also, i'm one of those who doesn't want to touch WotC pieces or their rule sets. It was their game and anyone who knows that game should be able to port into this one without having someone say "sorry, you can now walk over mice", "sorry, we did away with mas amedda" "sorry X was banned". Legacy does that and does a good job of it, no need for two facets of that style.

Quote:

That's not a bad idea, there are plenty of abilities that make it hard for shooters like force cloak, energy shield and the like. The meta currently favors shooters but its a relatively new occurrence in Vset history that this is the case.

Usually melee and shooters have had decent balance. Squads like solo Charge, skybuck, master lukes art class, this parties over, with decent range and melee options have always been *my* goal of squad building.

Quote:
The whats an npe for some may not be for others. yeah, i get this, and there is no simple solution here. My suggestion would be to listen to what has been bashed for YEARS literally YEARS by a pretty dang big majority poggle for starters on this one.

I'm on board with errataing poggle and i was involved in his design. Its long over due i agree but as with everything in this game it requires a lot of consensus. Some people worry about the flood gates opening, some worry that figures that have been designed to combat these things will become over powerful or useless, some still actually like the game as it is.

my feeling currently is that the CDO, Poggle and the Klat get errata'd. Cost increase for 2 and make the CDO pertain to figs called commando droid.

As for Mace, to me he's annoying but not broken and i've been on the receiving end of arguable his most annoying ability which is being able to kill a 130 hp melee piece on their turn (after you attacked them, isn't attacking pieces the point of the game? Tongue). Undercosted perhaps, swingy perhaps. His toughest ability in my mind is his double absorb that takes many other melee figs out of the game because he can't be assaulted, you can't riposte or block him. But again its my opinion, some people like that piece.

Same with Bastilla, Jaq, SSM and other things people have mentioned. Designs have been made with these pieces in mind so weakening them now would likely have unintended consequences.

Also, i think that making changes to figs should be done in small groups. 3 figures at a time is suffice, if anything else in the time after the changes crops up then you don't have to reverse a whole lot of crap.

Deaths_Baine
Posted: Friday, May 22, 2015 1:41:37 PM

fingersandteeth wrote:
Deaths_Baine wrote:

who says they left it in a bad state? They left it in an UNBALANCED state, but the game was plenty fun with some great figures but a large disparity between the best and the worst. Vsets tried to bring the crap factions to the fore which they did within 2 sets and since then they've been slowly increasing the number of top tier figs.
The mechanics of the game means increased activations create and advantage, pieces like dodonna and San hill increase that fact. Removing them won't change that issue and i'm one of those people who think it brings a certain identity to those factions that have it.

Also, i'm one of those who doesn't want to touch WotC pieces or their rule sets. It was their game and anyone who knows that game should be able to port into this one without having someone say "sorry, you can now walk over mice", "sorry, we did away with mas amedda" "sorry X was banned". Legacy does that and does a good job of it, no need for two facets of that style.

Quote:

That's not a bad idea, there are plenty of abilities that make it hard for shooters like force cloak, energy shield and the like. The meta currently favors shooters but its a relatively new occurrence in Vset history that this is the case.

Usually melee and shooters have had decent balance. Squads like solo Charge, skybuck, master lukes art class, this parties over, with decent range and melee options have always been *my* goal of squad building.

Quote:

I'm on board with errataing poggle and i was involved in his design. Its long over due i agree but as with everything in this game it requires a lot of consensus. Some people worry about the flood gates opening, some worry that figures that have been designed to combat these things will become over powerful or useless, some still actually like the game as it is.

my feeling currently is that the CDO, Poggle and the Klat get errata'd. Cost increase for 2 and make the CDO pertain to figs called commando droid.

As for Mace, to me he's annoying but not broken and i've been on the receiving end of arguable his most annoying ability which is being able to kill a 130 hp melee piece on their turn (after you attacked them, isn't attacking pieces the point of the game? Tongue). Undercosted perhaps, swingy perhaps. His toughest ability in my mind is his double absorb that takes many other melee figs out of the game because he can't be assaulted, you can't riposte or block him. But again its my opinion, some people like that piece.

Same with Bastilla, Jaq, SSM and other things people have mentioned. Designs have been made with these pieces in mind so weakening them now would likely have unintended consequences.

Also, i think that making changes to figs should be done in small groups. 3 figures at a time is suffice, if anything else in the time after the changes crops up then you don't have to reverse a whole lot of crap.

bad... unbalanced... yeah i guess i could have used a better word there.

i like the idea of changing them a few at a time, makes it way easier for sure.

like i have said before there needs to be power in the hands of a group of (7 in my opinion) and these 7 people discuss erratas/community feelings on pieces and stuff and make changes accordingly. now, they could never please everyone, but that is not happening now anyways, but instead of years of bickering and fighting and people leaving, and nothing actually happening things can be handled in a way people understand.

my seven people would be:

Deri
Timmer B
Thereisnotry
Bill
Sithborg (or whoever does the rules/interactions, that is huge in designing)
Ultrastar
Countrydude(?) (guy that heads up playtesting nowadays)

and if these seven can't agree on something, then it stays the way it is, or is put to straight community vote for a set period of time say 2 weeks. with all the ideas these 7 have come up.
jen'ari
Posted: Friday, May 22, 2015 2:18:16 PM

Deaths_Baine wrote:

Deri
Timmer B
Thereisnotry
Bill
Ultrastar

I dont really know people So I will just ask the question. Is NZ represented in that list of 7?

I tend to agree with the sentiment of a group of people making the shots with the community in mind and with a very clear "vision" leading the way.

On to this idea about WotC. That was 5 years ago people. People will expect a few changes. It is like that with literally every game I have ever played that come out with new editions/sets
Anyway, my two cents are that people that played the game 5 years ago (if any of them are coming back from half a decade ago) come back, they will need to learn all the new pieces anyway, which will change the way they see the game, a few rule changes/errata are not going to add too much to what they need to "absorb" anyway
Deaths_Baine
Posted: Friday, May 22, 2015 4:06:19 PM

jen'ari wrote:
Deaths_Baine wrote:

Deri
Timmer B
Thereisnotry
Bill
Ultrastar

I dont really know people So I will just ask the question. Is NZ represented in that list of 7?

I tend to agree with the sentiment of a group of people making the shots with the community in mind and with a very clear "vision" leading the way.

On to this idea about WotC. That was 5 years ago people. People will expect a few changes. It is like that with literally every game I have ever played that come out with new editions/sets
Anyway, my two cents are that people that played the game 5 years ago (if any of them are coming back from half a decade ago) come back, they will need to learn all the new pieces anyway, which will change the way they see the game, a few rule changes/errata are not going to add too much to what they need to "absorb" anyway

nope maybe it should be 9 people to be more inclusive... so add Dr.Daman, and Spryguy.
urbanjedi
Posted: Friday, May 22, 2015 4:27:33 PM

Deaths_Baine wrote:
jen'ari wrote:
Deaths_Baine wrote:

Deri
Timmer B
Thereisnotry
Bill
Ultrastar

nope maybe it should be 9 people to be more inclusive... so add Dr.Daman, and Spryguy.

That is pretty much exactly how it works now.
Deaths_Baine
Posted: Friday, May 22, 2015 4:48:35 PM

really? and who are these people that are in charge? who put them in charge? how come it takes them so long to make changes that have been needed for awhile? (poggle)

i am calling for a clear description of who is in charge, why they are in charge, what their goal and direction is for the game, because it is quite obvious we don't have that right now.
fingersandteeth
Posted: Friday, May 22, 2015 4:56:23 PM

No-one is is charge. It's a bunch of people who have invested a huge amount of time and effort for nothing more than extending the life of the game. We don't all agree and it takes ages to come to a consensus because of the mass of differing opinions.

The goal is to make a balanced meta where all factions can compete and all squad types (shooters, melee, balanced, swarms, tanks and tech) have a place in the game.

The design crew rotates and anyone who cares can get involved by playtesting. Playtest enough and show you can work within the chaos without resorting to insults and emotional outbursts and you get to design.

That's how it's worked for 5 years, that's how it will continue to work.

swinefeld
Posted: Friday, May 22, 2015 5:53:34 PM
Groups: Member , Moderator

Where is Al Haig when we need him? Razz