RegisterDonateLogin

Unique (Counts as Bloo Milk)

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Members

New Star Wars film, Spoilers inside YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED! Options
dreadtech
Posted: Thursday, December 17, 2015 8:43:16 AM
Groups: Member

Ok just saw the new film. Again this thread will contain spoilers, you have been warned so hard luck if you read something you don't want to know

New characters get a big thumbs up from me, 10/10

New characters were very good. The new Sith lord was a pale reflection of Darth Vader but that was the point for the character in this film but fully expect him to be a lot darker in the next film. Rey, Finn and the rest of the new characters were all welcome additions to the star wars universe. It was also a joy to see Han and Co back. Look forward to the miniature version of these in new Vsets down the road.

The film does leave a few questions unanswered but at least 1 you can guess. Rey? this is one question not answered in the film as in who she is or who her parents are. However she is going to be Han & Leia's second child or Luke's child. Not really any other possibilities left. Second unanswered question is who, and where did the first order new supreme leader come from. Going by the look of the character he seems older than Luke, Han and Liea so would have been around during Pap's time A clone Maybe? who knows this is the big unanswered question of the film.Proberbly the only intrging part of the film. Oh and Luke blink and you will miss him, yea as the second name in the film after Harrison Ford you would expect him to be in it more. Think Anna Paquin's screen time in X-Men Days of Future past

Kylo Ren is the child of one of the original characters and kills at least 1 of the original characters as well. Don't want to say who at this point.

Special effects were superb throughout the film 10/10 on that score.
Far better than the 3 prequels. Go's to show CGI effects still need to go a long way to beat sets hand made for this type of film. Sure still CGI in it but over all seamlessly put together.

The Plot this is where the film fails big time. Sorry but this was A New Hope all over again. From the very beginning plans hidden in side a droid. Must get back to rebels, and call it what you like it's another F****** death Star, OK it's bigger and can destroy more than one planet at a time but it's a Death Star in all but name. Rescue a character from bad guys and kill of a character in pretty much the same way as Ben died in the first film. The film as no originality at all. It is still watchable as a star wars film but don't expect to see something you have not already seen in A New Hope, yea that's right nothing new that was not in that one film. Thankfully the cast are good and look forward to more adventures from them. but for plot can only and think this is being generous at that, can only give it 4/10 as said no originality at all.

End note, Still even with no originality still better than The Phantom Menace and thank god no Jar Jar like character's in it.
jak
Posted: Thursday, December 17, 2015 3:54:08 PM

no luke? BAD
no jar jar GOOD

no original plot? what the force!
spryguy1981
Posted: Thursday, December 17, 2015 6:35:42 PM

I'm desperately torn over this movie. From day 1 I have had one favorite character and to see other go down that way quite frankly breaks my heart. I totally agree it's a new hope all over again. New characters are great. Daisy Ridley is hot. But as I said this one broke my Star Wars heart.
FlyingArrow
Posted: Thursday, December 17, 2015 9:31:35 PM
Groups: Member , Moderator

I like how Han was as good with a blaster as we all think he is.

I'm interested to know the extent of the republic and the first order. Is one vastly larger than the other?

I wish there were more non human heroes.

I think they should have included more of the recognizable species.

The other option for Rey is a descendant of some big force user from another lineage. Seems unlikely though. If she isn't Luke's daughter something is wrong. That's the only explanation for her victory.
FlyingArrow
Posted: Thursday, December 17, 2015 9:50:46 PM

Is the story of how Mas got the lightsaber already out in a book somewhere?
General_Grievous
Posted: Friday, December 18, 2015 2:28:59 AM

I loved it, amazing writing, acting, action and feel. The plot is familiar but you can't blame JJ for playing it safe and at the roots after the backlash George got for taking a new route. So for me 10/10. Epic movie and goes up there next to empire and revenge for quality. Bring on the sequel already! Also Captain Phasma was way overhyped and all she did was ask questions then die? The new characters are sweet though. I definitely called Kylo's family connection but curious to see about Rey's and who that new emperor is? And that scar on his head. Plaugeis maybe? Kind of Muun like. Unless he is actually that big. The catwalk scene really got me, the whole time I was all "NOOO DON'T GO NEAR HIM OR TOUCH IT!!!"
Warev Ririp
Posted: Friday, December 18, 2015 11:45:49 AM

I still think Snoke is a silly name.
FlyingArrow
Posted: Friday, December 18, 2015 11:52:11 AM

A bunch of open questions...

Why was R2 shut down after Luke left?
Why did Luke leave just because of one dark student?
Why did he leave a map?
Who was the guy that Poe got the map from? How did he get the map?
How did the First Order know to go there?
What woke R2 up?
Why was Kylo Ren so poorly trained? Injured or not, he let himself get hit by two untrained lightsaber users - one of which doesn't appear to be Force sensitive.
How does Kylo Ren survive the explosion? He pretty much has to, plot-wise, but he was unconscious in the snow right before the Falcon took off. There doesn't seem to be time for anyone to find him and evacuate him before the explosion. Obviously there was, though.
FlyingArrow
Posted: Friday, December 18, 2015 12:01:13 PM

Overall I liked it.
Not as good as it could have been (with easy changes).
At this point, by itself, it's not worth scrapping the whole EU. Hopefully what is to come makes it worth it. And hopefully they incorporate more of the EU.

Complaints...
* they set it up for an amazing redemptive story of Han/Leia re-connecting. It didn't happen. Missed opportunity. Killing Han off later would have been a lot more powerful. There wasn't enough build-up to connect him to his son.
* they destroyed multiple planets and it evoked absolutely NOTHING. No idea what those planets were or why we as an audience should feel any pain over it other than the fact that a bunch of fictional characters died. First Order = Evil. Got it. Why did they blow up all the planets except the one BB-8 was on?
* As others have said, no imagination. Hide plans in droid. Chase droid. Orphan has Force powers they don't know about and uses them to win the day. Blow up a planet-killing weapon. We even have a Jedi master being a hermit as a set up for Episode 8.
Deaths_Baine
Posted: Friday, December 18, 2015 1:21:26 PM

FlyingArrow wrote:
A bunch of open questions...

Why was R2 shut down after Luke left?--- had a discussion about this earlier, one of our theories is that luke shut him down with specific instructions and they were when REY showed up since that is his daughter.
Why did Luke leave just because of one dark student?-- i think he had multiple students fall to the dark side.
Why did he leave a map?-- for his daughter see above.

Who was the guy that Poe got the map from? How did he get the map?--- no ideas here at all, maybe an old jedi sympathizer that luke knew and trusted whole heartedly.
How did the First Order know to go there?---tracking poe since he was resistances best pilot.
What woke R2 up?--rey showing back up with luke's old lightsaber.
Why was Kylo Ren so poorly trained? Injured or not, he let himself get hit by two untrained lightsaber users - one of which doesn't appear to be Force sensitive.--- i agree here pathetic portrayal considering he had some pretty powerful force abilities, i guess force powers doesnt always equal great lightsaber skills, but still pathetic, argument from other group members was that he was emotionally torn up at the time and not quite "in it" all the way.
How does Kylo Ren survive the explosion? He pretty much has to, plot-wise, but he was unconscious in the snow right before the Falcon took off. There doesn't seem to be time for anyone to find him and evacuate him before the explosion. Obviously there was, though.---- well, they have a new death planet that destroys multiple planets at once so maybe just a beam like from star trek works here.
Deaths_Baine
Posted: Friday, December 18, 2015 1:22:20 PM

FlyingArrow wrote:
Overall I liked it.
Not as good as it could have been (with easy changes).
At this point, by itself, it's not worth scrapping the whole EU. Hopefully what is to come makes it worth it. And hopefully they incorporate more of the EU.

Complaints...
* they set it up for an amazing redemptive story of Han/Leia re-connecting. It didn't happen. Missed opportunity. Killing Han off later would have been a lot more powerful. There wasn't enough build-up to connect him to his son.
* they destroyed multiple planets and it evoked absolutely NOTHING. No idea what those planets were or why we as an audience should feel any pain over it other than the fact that a bunch of fictional characters died. First Order = Evil. Got it. Why did they blow up all the planets except the one BB-8 was on?
* As others have said, no imagination. Hide plans in droid. Chase droid. Orphan has Force powers they don't know about and uses them to win the day. Blow up a planet-killing weapon. We even have a Jedi master being a hermit as a set up for Episode 8.

simply a +1 here.
jak
Posted: Friday, December 18, 2015 1:27:46 PM

spryguy1981 wrote:
I'm desperately torn over this movie. From day 1 I have had one favorite character and to see other go down that way quite frankly breaks my heart. I totally agree it's a new hope all over again. New characters are great. Daisy Ridley is hot. But as I said this one broke my Star Wars heart.

yep, he was always MY favorite too
cassekiel
Posted: Friday, December 18, 2015 1:45:23 PM

I'm really torn about this. Great Sci-Fi/Fantasy movie. Not a great addition to the Star Wars saga in my opinion. Knock the prequel's all you want but at least they had their own story and added some depth to the galaxy far, far away.

I loved seeing Han and co again and it was amazing to see the opening scroll once more on the big screen. Rey is awesome and I like Fin(n?) as well but as some others have said: In no way does this justify the nullification of the EU as cannon. If the OT characters were not in this you could very well say that this is just a reboot of episode 4.

You would think with the amount of creative minds involved with this project it would have been more original. I can understand the argument that because so many disliked the prequels that they should just play it safe but the redundancy in the plot was a little more than I could take.

That isn't to say that there weren't great things about this movie. In fact, there are a lot of awesome things about it but I think the EU and pre-Disney SW will likely be my own personal canon from here forward.

cassekiel
Posted: Friday, December 18, 2015 2:53:35 PM

I do think that Snoke (terrible name) is Darth Plagueis. Considering that he is the one that created Anakin through the force (presumably) and that both Palp and Anakin are dead it would make sense that the real villain behind everything would come forward in the final chapters of the saga to claim his prize. It also explains why he is the master of Kylo Ren (despite the fact that he is a bit lame) and gets quite obsessed with Rey rather quickly. (I think we all know she is a Skywalker, look at a picture of Daisey Ridley next to Natalie Portman...they could be sisters).

This is one of the concepts about these new films that I find intriguing. He looks like he might be a Muun in the new movie...but I'm not sure. Does anyone know if it is actually considered cannon at this point that Plagueis was a Muun?
FlyingArrow
Posted: Friday, December 18, 2015 3:03:29 PM

I think the Plagueis book was one of the last ones before the changeover.
Caedus
Posted: Friday, December 18, 2015 3:13:47 PM

cassekiel wrote:
I do think that Snoke (terrible name) is Darth Plagueis. Considering that he is the one that created Anakin through the force (presumably) and that both Palp and Anakin are dead it would make sense that the real villain behind everything would come forward in the final chapters of the saga to claim his prize. It also explains why he is the master of Kylo Ren (despite the fact that he is a bit lame) and gets quite obsessed with Rey rather quickly. (I think we all know she is a Skywalker, look at a picture of Daisey Ridley next to Natalie Portman...they could be sisters).

This is one of the concepts about these new films that I find intriguing. He looks like he might be a Muun in the new movie...but I'm not sure. Does anyone know if it is actually considered cannon at this point that Plagueis was a Muun?

Plagueis is canon definitely, but in AotC it is never mentioned what race he is so I'm not sure, but the scars the hologram of him contain are consistent with the "old" canon of him.
cassekiel
Posted: Friday, December 18, 2015 3:20:29 PM

Caedus wrote:
cassekiel wrote:

Plagueis is canon definitely, but in AotC it is never mentioned what race he is so I'm not sure, but the scars the hologram of him contain are consistent with the "old" canon of him.

Thanks BigGrin I knew Plagueis himself was Cannon. Just wasn't sure about whether or not he was a Muun. What is this about the scars? Are those supposed to be from his supposed "death" via Palpatine?
Caedus
Posted: Friday, December 18, 2015 3:27:26 PM

jak wrote:
spryguy1981 wrote:

I was a huge fan of Solo too. He was a great Character, but in all actuality, Harrison Ford didn't even want to be in This episode. He had said multiple times that he would never do another Star Wars. Yes, the other two said that too, but what other Movies were they in to make them Uber Famous?... I'll wait. Any way, This was IMO an out for Ford by Disney, and I believe they handled it Extremely well. Sucks, but what were they going to do? Replace him with another actor? Hell No
cassekiel
Posted: Friday, December 18, 2015 3:35:12 PM

Caedus wrote:
jak wrote:
spryguy1981 wrote:

I was a huge fan of Solo too. He was a great Character, but in all actuality, Harrison Ford didn't even want to be in This episode. He had said multiple times that he would never do another Star Wars. Yes, the other two said that too, but what other Movies were they in to make them Uber Famous?... I'll wait. Any way, This was IMO an out for Ford by Disney, and I believe they handled it Extremely well. Sucks, but what were they going to do? Replace him with another actor? Hell No

I was pretty bummed about it, but not surprised. My guess was that he only agreed to do it if they killed his character off. At least we got to see him on screen one more time as Han. I have argued before that he is what really carried that OT to height that it reached anyway. Can you imagine if Kurt Russell would have been Han??? I'm pretty sure this website wouldn't even be here right now!
Caedus
Posted: Friday, December 18, 2015 3:47:18 PM

cassekiel wrote:
Caedus wrote:
jak wrote:
spryguy1981 wrote:

I was pretty bummed about it, but not surprised. My guess was that he only agreed to do it if they killed his character off. At least we got to see him on screen one more time as Han. I have argued before that he is what really carried that OT to height that it reached anyway. Can you imagine if Kurt Russell would have been Han??? I'm pretty sure this website wouldn't even be here right now!

+10000