RegisterDonateLogin

Powerful you have become, the Bloo Milk I sense in you.

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Members

New Star Wars film, Spoilers inside YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED! Options
CerousMutor
Posted: Sunday, December 20, 2015 3:26:43 PM
Groups: Member

Caedus wrote:
cassekiel wrote:
Caedus wrote:
jak wrote:
spryguy1981 wrote:
I'm desperately torn over this movie. From day 1 I have had one favorite character and to see other go down that way quite frankly breaks my heart. I totally agree it's a new hope all over again. New characters are great. Daisy Ridley is hot. But as I said this one broke my Star Wars heart.

yep, he was always MY favorite too

I was a huge fan of Solo too. He was a great Character, but in all actuality, Harrison Ford didn't even want to be in This episode. He had said multiple times that he would never do another Star Wars. Yes, the other two said that too, but what other Movies were they in to make them Uber Famous?... I'll wait. Any way, This was IMO an out for Ford by Disney, and I believe they handled it Extremely well. Sucks, but what were they going to do? Replace him with another actor? Hell No

I was pretty bummed about it, but not surprised. My guess was that he only agreed to do it if they killed his character off. At least we got to see him on screen one more time as Han. I have argued before that he is what really carried that OT to height that it reached anyway. Can you imagine if Kurt Russell would have been Han??? I'm pretty sure this website wouldn't even be here right now!

+10000

I don't ever think Ford realised his every-man character was what carried you through the films.
He wasn't boring, he was grounded in reality in a fantasy film.
CerousMutor
Posted: Tuesday, December 22, 2015 11:45:23 AM

Anyone else see the grave stone next to Luke at the end of the film or am I just imagining it?
empirejeff
Posted: Tuesday, December 22, 2015 7:32:05 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDaMqj4nsno
Their was two big reactions from the audience. People laughing at the star trek trailer when Spock beams up and bones says that is typical, and when ham Solo get sliced. People were shocked, I think I was the only ne who saw it coming.
juice man
Posted: Monday, December 28, 2015 9:13:02 AM

Totally, 100% underwhelmed. Bored Worth a matinee, nowhere near worth waiting in a line for.
Fin's job as a trooper was funny, but made me cringe given U.S.A.'s military history.
jak
Posted: Monday, December 28, 2015 11:00:01 AM

+1
the plot was so similar to ANH, that it was plagiarism.

desert planet
plans hidden in droid
evil empire chasing heroes an droid
empire has weapon that destroys planets
old hero dies at the hand of the dude in black(how did that mask fit those those ears?)
good guys destroy evil weapon, despite overwhelming odds

this movie is just a way to get a new generation involved with characters they can call their own.
definitely not as good as the EU it replacedThumbDown
FlyingArrow
Posted: Monday, December 28, 2015 1:24:45 PM
Groups: Member , Moderator

jak wrote:

definitely not as good as the EU it replacedThumbDown

Completely agree with this. I liked the movie, but that wasn't a fair trade. I'm hopeful that other movies and the rest of the new books/stories/etc will eventually be as good as what was replaced. Also hopeful that some of the EU will make a return to canon. Apparently some things are slipping back in via the cartoons bit by bit.
Jakster
Posted: Monday, December 28, 2015 3:44:21 PM

What if the exact same movie was made by George Lucas?
It would surely get a lot less praise, people would suggest to Lucas to retire (like some have done for a long time), because "he is totally burned out of any ideas" and they would even have a point.
I think the success of the new movie tells more about Star Wars fans than Star Wars, while they may claim they want to see something new (or not), they wanted more of the same to begin with.
Episode I-III tell an interesting tale, sometimes sloppy and annoying, but overall fascinating.
Episode VII tells you the tale of Episode IV all over again, but not nearly as fascinating as back then.
So far, if this doesn't evolve into something more in the next two Episodes, it's from a storytelling point of view rather to utterly pointless.
I still liked watching the movie, but it was so obvious that I thought "remake" during the movie, when I'm normally totally occupied with processing new information when watching a new movie that really interests me.

By the way, I think that overall a 2 hours+ (and 4 hour movies don't make it much better, only more tiring) movie is generally a poor format to tell an epic tale to begin with (the original trilogy somehow succeeded in this more than it should be possible).
TV series, while long suffering from low budgets and real world quarrels affecting the story, when comparing the top productions TV series, have nowadays surpassed movies as an epic storytelling format for me (being a child of the 80's, I wouldn't have thought it would be possible for me to one day state this, the TV series back then where really awful).
TheHutts
Posted: Monday, December 28, 2015 3:51:05 PM

I had some frustrations with the very familiar plot, but I thought it was a much better Star Wars movie than anything since Empire Strikes Back. It was well paced, well acted, and had decent dialogue, and there weren't any really clunky moments.

I'm assuming they'll use a much less familiar story line next time, and it will be even better.
FlyingArrow
Posted: Monday, December 28, 2015 4:08:44 PM
Groups: Member , Moderator

I didn't cringe. That's a good thing.
CorellianComedian
Posted: Monday, December 28, 2015 6:08:17 PM

I liked it a lot. Some of the New Hope throwbacks were annoyingly obvious, but aside from that - and Kylo Ren's complete failure to both wield a lightsaber and be scary without a mask - I thought it was really good. The new characters are great, they fit in perfectly.

Except Supreme Leader Snoke. I hate him. The name is not intimidating, the title is ridiculously frivolous (about as far as possible from being intimidating; "Chief Snoke" would sound about as scary), and he looks like those disgusting cave goblins from the first Hobbit movie.
juice man
Posted: Monday, December 28, 2015 7:23:36 PM

Just hope they have at least as good a lightsaber duel somewhere in the new stuff as they had in the *sigh* Phantom Menace.
SignerJ
Posted: Monday, December 28, 2015 7:29:38 PM

I was really disappointed by the black-and-white morality. It was just a rehash of the old stuff, where Light Side=Total Good, and Dark Side=Total Evil. There wasn't really any nuance, which is one of the things I liked most from the EU.

I also had difficulty believing that the Stormtrooper Captain would lower those shields. I mean, seriously?? You're trying to tell me that a ranked officer would choose to lower the shields and risk the lives of probably hundreds of thousands of troops, some of them her own company, in order to maybe save her own life? (Especially when we all knew that Fin wouldn't have it in him to kill her, and Han might kill her anyway.) The science was hard to believe, but that part was even worse.

Other things...

FlyingArrow wrote:
* they destroyed multiple planets and it evoked absolutely NOTHING. No idea what those planets were or why we as an audience should feel any pain over it other than the fact that a bunch of fictional characters died. First Order = Evil. Got it. Why did they blow up all the planets except the one BB-8 was on?

This.

cassekiel wrote:
That isn't to say that there weren't great things about this movie. In fact, there are a lot of awesome things about it but I think the EU and pre-Disney SW will likely be my own personal canon from here forward.

And this.

I mean, overall, it was an entertaining movie. And the characters were nice. It's just that the plot was lacking, the backstory almost nonexistent, and, as others have said, I don't think it holds even half a candle to the old EU.

EDIT: Also, I have absolutely zero respect for Kylo Ren. My custom for Ren pretty much summarizes my opinion on him.
shmi15
Posted: Tuesday, December 29, 2015 10:08:28 AM

Ok, my take on the movie for you guys...

First. This is not a rehash of A New Hope... Similarities..... sure. But everything that is Similar also is uniquely different.

1. Rey and Luke are similar only because they are on a desert planet..... Luke was left in the hands of his aunt and uncle.... But knew who his parents were. Also, he wanted to leave the planet..... Rey has no idea who her parents are, and is actually trying to get BACK to Jakku so she doesn't miss her parents returning. Luke also wants to be a Jedi because he wants to be like his father.... Rey as of now is just kinda.... doing it because its right? So yes similar.... but different.

2. The Rebellion and the Resistance. Easy..... Rebellion is an uprising against the Empire who is currently controlling them.... The Resistance is a good guy faction who is taking arms up against The First Order who is not declaring war on the Republic.... but on the Jedi. (yes they destroy the Republic, but that's not why they were organized.... Or I believe so) Oh yeah...... and they were RAN BY THE SAME PEOPLE..... Obviously the Rebellion worked, so why wouldn't they use the same thing as the Resistance?!?!

3. The Empire and The First Order. again..... Empire controlled the Galaxy... First Order is organized to destroy the Jedi...... And again.... First Order is Remnants of the Empire..... So why wouldn't there be similarities

4.Kylo Ren and Vader..... This is probably the most annoying thing I've heard are the complaints on this comparison... Obviously they are close, Kylo's characters WANTS to be like Vader... so of course the are going to be the same. Its his Characters..... Character. BUT... Still....... Anakin was naturally a good character who was manipulated to the dark side. Ben appears to be a fanatic who wants more than anything TO BE EVIL, probably because he was manipulated to think Anakin was just an evil Force User who reached his full potential in the dark side.

5. The Starkiller base.... Ok, this one doesn't get much arguing... BUT, I will say, in loads of stories the bad guys always have a super weapon of some kind.... They could've gotten away from the whole planet idea... but if you look at the movies again... They build 1 Death Star, it gets destroyed so they build another one, that's bigger and better... well it gets blown up... so now they build a bigger and better one.... Whats crazy to think that wouldn't happen?

6. Han and Obi's Death being close.... lets just all be real and admit Harrison Ford didn't want to be in any more movies... So he had to be killed in some meaningful way.... Why not make it a sacrifice? And who knows! maybe Harrison had a say in it.

The critiquing of this movie is ridiculous because everyone is a fanboy of the EU. It was a good movie with many similarities to Episode IV, and no they didn't follow our beloved SW books that this game still holds to, but they made a great story that has MANY MANY MANY possibilities to go from.
juice man
Posted: Tuesday, December 29, 2015 10:41:55 AM

Probably hard to do something really different in the SW universe. Sith/Jedi, Dark/Light, Super Weapon/another Super Weapon. We want different we get Jar Jar and Gungans. (and Ewoks)

Snoke (giggle) will likely want to capture Rey in Episode VIII.

I definitely think this is a rehash - "a reuse of old ideas or material without significant change or improvement"

And yeah, I'll still see the next one.Blushing "The First Order Strikes Back"
coffeebean
Posted: Tuesday, December 29, 2015 12:48:26 PM

I'm really interested to find out who snoke is. From the research I've done it sounds like snoke might be a hybrid of two or more eu baddies. After reading up I'm guessing snoke is plaguis/ exar kun combo. As for kylo, I'm really hoping he gets redeemed before the end of the third movie and kicks some butt along side fin and Rey. But I'll have to wait. A year and a half is going to go by so slow.
jen'ari
Posted: Tuesday, December 29, 2015 1:01:23 PM

having only seen it once, I have a few questions:
1) why is everyone, in threads and forums online, keep saying that kylo killed all the jedi being taught in the academy? I don't remember hearing that.

2) poe and finn think they are a couple? would be a twist to get some more "inclusion"

3) Do you think Kylo will start not wearing his helmet since he is kind of always taking it off and everybody knows about him anyway?

4) is there any reason R2D2 to wake up suddenly?

5) Do you think that since Kylo Rens lightsaber has been destroyed and he is going to be trained that he might get rid of the that style and replace out with a more traditional build?

6) When the general was giving his speech during the blowing up of five planets, did anyone else think "v for vendetta"?

I really enjoyed the movie except for Snoke (who looks like voldemorte) and Finn injuring Kylo, even if he was injured. granted Kylo smacked him around and would have killed him if the whole chewie blasted in him want there. still even with that injury I five it hard to believe that some crappy fighter who just got pummeled by a stormtrooper with a shockclub can hold his own with some one versed in light saber battle and the force
juice man
Posted: Tuesday, December 29, 2015 2:12:44 PM

1) No clue.
2) Disney, no way. Maybe Rey and Finn?
3) He should. It would be a departure if he wore non-black outfits also.
4) Did Anakin's light saber show up about that time?
5) No.
6) Did not see that movie.

Finn is very inept for a stormtrooper trained from when he was a baby.
coffeebean
Posted: Wednesday, December 30, 2015 5:31:17 AM

1) in the movie it shows kylo and the knight if ren standing in the rain surrounded by bodies, presumably the members of Luke's Jedi order. Also leia I think, says that kylo destroyed the academy that Luke made to train jedi.
2) don't really care.
3) I hope kylo will become darth vader. The suit and helmet could become a mantle for the right hand of the emperor(snoke)
4)the force woke him up. Which makes sense since it seems that the force can impower mechanical objects.
5) it's possible. I believe there is a story behind his lightsaber, which means it could go any way.
6) been so long since I saw that movie, I don't know.

Fin is more powerful then we know, fin and Rey are two characters that the force awoken in. I'm not sure what that means, but going back and watching the OT obi wan does say that the force can control your actions so I think that it is possible for the force to commandeer someone and make them a skilled fighter.
SignerJ
Posted: Wednesday, December 30, 2015 3:36:50 PM

jen'ari wrote:
having only seen it once, I have a few questions:

2) poe and finn think they are a couple? would be a twist to get some more "inclusion"

4) is there any reason R2D2 to wake up suddenly?

(Edited down for brevity.)

2) I really hope they make Poe and Finn a couple! Sadly, however, I think they're going to continue with the Finn + Rey, which, in my opinion, not only is extremely obvious and predictable, but also is boring (for me, at least) and felt really forced during the whole movie. Why do male and female protagonists always have to end up together? The Poe + Finn thing would be a nice change, and that would leave Finn and Rey as friends. A good ending on all fronts.

4) I had that question, too. I think the best explanation I've seen, though, rests on the idea that Rey is Luke's daughter. In which case, Luke would have asked R2 to wait until his daughter shows up. That would also explain the map, and even why it was in two pieces--Luke left it behind so Rey could find him when necessary (or when she was ready to be trained, or whatever), and he kept it in two pieces so no one else could find him, especially Ben Solo.

juice man wrote:
Probably hard to do something really different in the SW universe. Sith/Jedi, Dark/Light, Super Weapon/another Super Weapon. We want different we get Jar Jar and Gungans. (and Ewoks)

I'd be okay with this explanation, except that the EU managed to keep things interesting and varied, even though it stuck almost completely to the Jedi/Sith theme? I don't think the movie should have an excuse--if decades' worth of books could do it, then the new Star Wars movie trilogy should be able to, as well.
Deaths_Baine
Posted: Wednesday, December 30, 2015 6:17:59 PM

shmi15 wrote:
Ok, my take on the movie for you guys...

First. This is not a rehash of A New Hope... Similarities..... sure. But everything that is Similar also is uniquely different.

1. Rey and Luke are similar only because they are on a desert planet..... Luke was left in the hands of his aunt and uncle.... But knew who his parents were. Also, he wanted to leave the planet..... Rey has no idea who her parents are, and is actually trying to get BACK to Jakku so she doesn't miss her parents returning. Luke also wants to be a Jedi because he wants to be like his father.... Rey as of now is just kinda.... doing it because its right? So yes similar.... but different.

2. The Rebellion and the Resistance. Easy..... Rebellion is an uprising against the Empire who is currently controlling them.... The Resistance is a good guy faction who is taking arms up against The First Order who is not declaring war on the Republic.... but on the Jedi. (yes they destroy the Republic, but that's not why they were organized.... Or I believe so) Oh yeah...... and they were RAN BY THE SAME PEOPLE..... Obviously the Rebellion worked, so why wouldn't they use the same thing as the Resistance?!?!

3. The Empire and The First Order. again..... Empire controlled the Galaxy... First Order is organized to destroy the Jedi...... And again.... First Order is Remnants of the Empire..... So why wouldn't there be similarities

4.Kylo Ren and Vader..... This is probably the most annoying thing I've heard are the complaints on this comparison... Obviously they are close, Kylo's characters WANTS to be like Vader... so of course the are going to be the same. Its his Characters..... Character. BUT... Still....... Anakin was naturally a good character who was manipulated to the dark side. Ben appears to be a fanatic who wants more than anything TO BE EVIL, probably because he was manipulated to think Anakin was just an evil Force User who reached his full potential in the dark side.

5. The Starkiller base.... Ok, this one doesn't get much arguing... BUT, I will say, in loads of stories the bad guys always have a super weapon of some kind.... They could've gotten away from the whole planet idea... but if you look at the movies again... They build 1 Death Star, it gets destroyed so they build another one, that's bigger and better... well it gets blown up... so now they build a bigger and better one.... Whats crazy to think that wouldn't happen?

6. Han and Obi's Death being close.... lets just all be real and admit Harrison Ford didn't want to be in any more movies... So he had to be killed in some meaningful way.... Why not make it a sacrifice? And who knows! maybe Harrison had a say in it.

The critiquing of this movie is ridiculous because everyone is a fanboy of the EU. It was a good movie with many similarities to Episode IV, and no they didn't follow our beloved SW books that this game still holds to, but they made a great story that has MANY MANY MANY possibilities to go from.

Saying that these movies are not the same thing is like saying Avatar is not Dances with wolves, or ant man is not just iron man...

troopers looking for droid carrying secrets on a desert planet catching the droids owner, interrogating them, them getting away, destroying planet, do I need to continue lol, SAME...EXACT...MOVIE....