RegisterDonateLogin

We're fine. We're all fine here, now, thank you. How are you?

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Members

New Star Wars film, Spoilers inside YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED! Options
atraangelis
Posted: Friday, December 18, 2015 3:57:19 PM
Groups: Member

I like the movie immensely,

I want to address the concerns many have for plot similarities to ANH. I feel this was a correct approach because of the divergence the prequels took. Disney/JJ needed to bring the story back in line to familiar grounds to then spring board into uncharted territory with VIII and spinoffs.

They did that and more. Sometimes to make something great you need to bring it back to basics. VII did this for me and all of my freinds who are in our 40's but it also recentered the universe for many of our children that had no grasp of the struggle from ANH.
cassekiel
Posted: Friday, December 18, 2015 4:09:55 PM

atraangelis wrote:

I want to address the concerns many have for plot similarities to ANH. I feel this was a correct approach because of the divergence the prequels took. Disney/JJ needed to bring the story back in line to familiar grounds to then spring board into uncharted territory with VIII and spinoffs.

They did that and more. Sometimes to make something great you need to bring it back to basics. VII did this for me and all of my freinds who are in our 40's but it also recentered the universe for many of our children that had no grasp of the struggle from ANH.

And from that perspective they succeeded tremendously. I have felt that a large concern for Disney with these films was to keep the new generations interested in Star Wars. These new films aren't just about passing the torch to a new generation of Skywalkers but also to a new generation of fans.
Caedus
Posted: Friday, December 18, 2015 4:41:59 PM

cassekiel wrote:
atraangelis wrote:

And from that perspective they succeeded tremendously. I have felt that a large concern for Disney with these films was to keep the new generations interested in Star Wars. These new films aren't just about passing the torch to a new generation of Skywalkers but also to a new generation of fans.

I feel what they did with the introduction of the New canon characters was good. they kept guys like me in it with the "feel" of the old canon. That being said, the Absolute Unoriginality of the plot was indeed exhausting. I feel they handled the Han situation Very well and the Luke cliffhanger was excellent as well, but really plans in a droid, kid left on a desert planet, weapon that blows up planets... Don't get me Wrong, the side stories were tremendous, but the main plot could have been better. Overall I would call it a success. 9.1/10 < My kobyashi impersonation lol
Caedus
Posted: Friday, December 18, 2015 4:44:47 PM

Also, just remember guys, George Lucas made Anakin look extremely powerful then very weak in EPII. Kind of like JJ in EPVII with Kylo Ren
cassekiel
Posted: Friday, December 18, 2015 4:52:45 PM

Caedus wrote:
Also, just remember guys, George Lucas made Anakin look extremely powerful then very weak in EPII. Kind of like JJ in EPVII with Kylo Ren

I'm wondering if there is more to why both Finn and Rey were able to go blow for blow with Ren in saber combat. Maybe some type of internal struggle with having just killed his father and possibly even being slightly intimidated, or shaken up.

The fact that he could stop a blaster bolt with the Force to me says he is very strong. It seems to me that the weak point for all Skywalkers is their very strong emotions and their inability to control them.

Strong emotions=good
Lack of control=very bad
FlyingArrow
Posted: Friday, December 18, 2015 9:47:22 PM
Groups: Member , Moderator

Sorry... I think he is very weak in the force. Still a force user, way stronger than any non force user, but on the level of a padawan ready to be knighted. Who barely passed the trials.
Deaths_Baine
Posted: Friday, December 18, 2015 10:16:14 PM

FlyingArrow wrote:
Sorry... I think he is very weak in the force. Still a force user, way stronger than any non force user, but on the level of a padawan ready to be knighted. Who barely passed the trials.

Don't know how many weak force users can freeze blaster bolts in the air.seems at least like a mid level force user to me.
FlyingArrow
Posted: Friday, December 18, 2015 10:24:34 PM

Fair point. How about just weak in lightsaber combat.
Deaths_Baine
Posted: Friday, December 18, 2015 10:35:48 PM

FlyingArrow wrote:
Fair point. How about just weak in lightsaber combat.

I can,go with that lol, it would,be cool to have a bad guy with esoteric force powers and weak lightsaber skills.
benfrohlich
Posted: Saturday, December 19, 2015 7:12:05 AM

Dont forget he had been shot just before having those lightsaber battles. Also I think he is like Rey in that he does have incredible power but isnt trained super well.
cassekiel
Posted: Saturday, December 19, 2015 11:20:53 AM

So my theory about Kylo Ren is that he has a strong force connection, is a mediocre sabers duelist, and is somewhat easily shaken and possibly has a reasonable degree of self doubt. On a side note I really can't get into that lightsaber he uses.
CerousMutor
Posted: Saturday, December 19, 2015 1:18:51 PM

FlyingArrow wrote:

I agree.
Basic raw skill set, tap into some things very easy but defiantly not trained. Then he completes his final test (nice nod to the EU and the path of the Sith) and gets called back to complete his training.

Nice bit with Rey getting angry and being able to beat Kylo down, (ala Luke Vs Vader Jedi)
Deaths_Baine
Posted: Saturday, December 19, 2015 1:57:37 PM

Should have been called. Star wars episode 7 A Newer Hope.
harryg
Posted: Saturday, December 19, 2015 1:59:48 PM

I think the movie was great. I liked the scale of it, the characters were likable, even with the similarities to A New Hope I thought it was a really great movie.
harryg
Posted: Saturday, December 19, 2015 2:02:57 PM

cassekiel wrote:
Caedus wrote:
jak wrote:
spryguy1981 wrote:
I'm desperately torn over this movie. From day 1 I have had one favorite character and to see other go down that way quite frankly breaks my heart. I totally agree it's a new hope all over again. New characters are great. Daisy Ridley is hot. But as I said this one broke my Star Wars heart.

yep, he was always MY favorite too

I was a huge fan of Solo too. He was a great Character, but in all actuality, Harrison Ford didn't even want to be in This episode. He had said multiple times that he would never do another Star Wars. Yes, the other two said that too, but what other Movies were they in to make them Uber Famous?... I'll wait. Any way, This was IMO an out for Ford by Disney, and I believe they handled it Extremely well. Sucks, but what were they going to do? Replace him with another actor? Hell No

I was pretty bummed about it, but not surprised. My guess was that he only agreed to do it if they killed his character off. At least we got to see him on screen one more time as Han. I have argued before that he is what really carried that OT to height that it reached anyway. Can you imagine if Kurt Russell would have been Han??? I'm pretty sure this website wouldn't even be here right now!

Ford told Disney he would only do it if they both killed him off and gave him another Indiana Jones movie.
cassekiel
Posted: Saturday, December 19, 2015 2:32:37 PM

Since Disney is obviously trying to make episodes 7-9 VERY geared toward getting newer fans and keeping the general population of fans happy and that they plan on a lot of non-saga films I am hoping to see some films in the future that are geared towards making some of the more hardcore fans of the EU and such happy. Fingers crossed. I am actually not a fan of JJ Abrahms anyway so maybe we will get a better director/producer for that as well that if it happens. Nothing against him, just not my cup of tea. Even if it is a direct to dvd kind of thing...here is to hoping anyway. I just really would love to see something that competes with the characters and storyline of the KoTOR games and comics but on film or even a series. One of the silver linings about Disney buying Lucasfilm is the budget to put into a much more vast catalogue of of films/TV. Wishful thinking....
coffeebean
Posted: Saturday, December 19, 2015 2:56:00 PM

It's a pretty hot topic why Ren was beaten by Rey, I have two theory's:

#1- Ren has been trained with a weakness on purpose. If snoke is palaguis, then he's not going to make the same mistake he did with palps. Snoke has kept ren weak in lightsaber combat incase he becomes a threat to snoke.

#2- Rey is not a normal child. She has been created through the force just like Anakin was. Her suppressed force power was "awaken" in her by Rens mind probe.

Overall I liked this movie very much, it was almost to good. It misses the campiness that other starwars has. Which I like. I feel good about the future of Star Wars in the hands of Disney. It won't be perfect, but it defiantly won't be terrible.

I also have one other theory: Snoke is Mickey Mouse. BigGrin
cassekiel
Posted: Saturday, December 19, 2015 3:06:40 PM

coffeebean wrote:
It's a pretty hot topic why Ren was beaten by Rey, I have two theory's:

#1- Ren has been trained with a weakness on purpose. If snoke is palaguis, then he's not going to make the same mistake he did with palps. Snoke has kept ren weak in lightsaber combat incase he becomes a threat to snoke.

#2- Rey is not a normal child. She has been created through the force just like Anakin was. Her suppressed force power was "awaken" in her by Rens mind probe.

Overall I liked this movie very much, it was almost to good. It misses the campiness that other starwars has. Which I like. I feel good about the future of Star Wars in the hands of Disney. It won't be perfect, but it defiantly won't be terrible.

I also have one other theory: Snoke is Mickey Mouse. BigGrin

#1 Probably true.

#2 Not so sure about but also interesting. I am guessing that she is Luke's child and her mother took her and hid her for some reason...but who really knows. Creating her through the Force is also possibly here (since we are seeing history repeat itself, lol). Maybe she was created by the Force but not by Plagueis in order to finally bring an end to his dark wave.

I agree that Snoke is actually Plagueis, who is actually Mickey Mouse, who is actually a hologram created by the frozen head of Walt Disney...with the force
harryg
Posted: Saturday, December 19, 2015 3:31:03 PM

cassekiel wrote:
Since Disney is obviously trying to make episodes 7-9 VERY geared toward getting newer fans and keeping the general population of fans happy and that they plan on a lot of non-saga films I am hoping to see some films in the future that are geared towards making some of the more hardcore fans of the EU and such happy. Fingers crossed. I am actually not a fan of JJ Abrahms anyway so maybe we will get a better director/producer for that as well that if it happens. Nothing against him, just not my cup of tea. Even if it is a direct to dvd kind of thing...here is to hoping anyway. I just really would love to see something that competes with the characters and storyline of the KoTOR games and comics but on film or even a series. One of the silver linings about Disney buying Lucasfilm is the budget to put into a much more vast catalogue of of films/TV. Wishful thinking....

I doubt there will be EU films. They removed the EU for a reason, they won't try to make fans of it happy. They haven't even acknowledged it exists since they wiped it.
FlyingArrow
Posted: Saturday, December 19, 2015 4:56:01 PM

So according to the Plagueis novel (which is no longer canon), Plagueis is did NOT create Anakin.

Plagueis and Palpatine were in repetitive intense meditation, to such an extent that they SHIFTED the Force. There wasn't any real explanation of that, except that normally the Force flows in some way and people simply... don't... change... that. But they did. They shifted the force toward the dark side.

At that same time when they felt that they had shifted the Force, in another part of the galaxy Anakin was conceived by the Force unbeknownst to Plagueis/Palpatine. Conceived by the Force to rebalance things, after the shift caused by Plagueis and Palpatine. It isn't flatly stated that way but it is strongly, strongly implied.