RegisterDonateLogin

The Force is with Bloo Milk, but it is not a Jedi yet.

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Members

Vassal Regional 2016 SIGN-UP and REPORTING thread Options
Caedus
Posted: Tuesday, June 14, 2016 11:22:10 AM
Groups: Member

tried to send it to you and failed. I'll send it to you via FB when I get home. Thanks
Mando
Posted: Tuesday, June 14, 2016 12:43:48 PM

made a slight adjustment to my squad Trevor. sent you a PM on swgamers about it with the update.
thereisnotry
Posted: Wednesday, June 15, 2016 8:52:38 PM

I've got a late request to join from Kezzamachine. But Kez isn't asking us to make room for himself; he's asking on behalf of one of his students, who knows the game rules well but has never played in a Vassal tournament (though he's played in local SWM tournaments).

I know it's after the deadline and we've already got pairings and squads set, but here are the reasons I'm considering it and bringing it to the rest of you for consideration:

--We currently have a Bye, and will have one every round. Adding this player will remove that, so that everyone plays every round.

--We're not playing for big prizes or anything, and it seems like participation and fun is more important than winning it all. I know that I personally am testing an idea for GenCon, and not really expecting to win.

--And it's a bonus for this student, because he gets the thrill of his first Vassal tournament! That's Kez's main thing; he wants to encourage his student, who has a growing interest in the game. He's a relatively new player, and it seems like a great way to help grow the game in NZ. And anything that encourages new players is worth serious consideration, IMHO.

But I know it's after the deadline, so if even a single one of you thinks it's not okay for him to join at this point, then that's fine, he'll stay out. It don't think it would be fair to force someone to put up with this just because they were out-voted. So I guess I'm saying that I think every player in the tournament should have veto power. But veto power is not cool if it's voice publicly, because nobody wants to be "That Guy"...so here's my proposal: Please send me PMs or BMs or Facebook messages, or whatever, to indicate whether you want to allow him to join late or not. I give you my word that I will not disclose the names or decisions that anyone sends me in this way. We'll give it until Monday evening at the latest. Darth O said that he can't play until Tuesday evening anyway. On Monday evening (or earlier if everyone replies to this before then) I'll announce in this BM thread what the group's decision is.

If everyone in the tournament is fine with this guy joining late, then I think we should give him a chance to play (and remove the Bye at the same time), but if even one person feels it would be unfair to let him join, then he won't join. Does that sound like a fair way to go about it?

Please comment here if you have any comments to make. I'll be sending this post out via PM and Message too, just to be sure that it gets to everyone on time. Thanks for your consideration, people. :)
UrbanShmi
Posted: Thursday, June 16, 2016 5:28:55 PM
Groups: Member , Moderator

Just finished my first-round game with Caedus. It was a hard fought match, but in the end the OR was victorious, 182-39.

We played on Cantina, which was both of our chosen maps. I won map roll, so Caedus opted to set up on the store room side, while I had the large room to myself. We just positioned for the first two rounds, and I probably popped Bastila a round too early, but at least we were primed when the action got started. I made the first salvo, overriding the middle door with Jaq, running Shoaneb in to kill R2 and put some damage on Yobuck, then essentially doing two twins at the top of the round with Shoaneb and the Senator (he won init and attacked with Yobuck), while taking minimal damage myself due to Lightsaber Duelist. One of the attacks was a crit that got through, so by the time shoaneb was done, Yobuck had only 40 HP left. Yobuck was pinned after doubling on Shoaneb, so Satele came up and assaulted him, but missing the second attack, thereby leaving him with 10. Tarfful based Shoaneb and Satele and managed to hit Shoaneb, but she deflected the blast. With Shoaneb down to 70 HP, Shawn saw an opportunity in the next round and used quiggy's push, dealing 40 damage and separating her from Satele. Jaq ran into the room next, shooting at Yobuck through Satele. He missed the first attack and the reroll, but critted on the double, which finished Yobuck off. The Senator gave the cannon to Jaq, who hit Tarfful for 50.

Now it was AniStap's turn to strafe, and he did pretty well, hitting both attacks on Satele and Jaq (she took one, absorbed the second, and then bodyguarded on of the hits on Jaq, taking her to 80). However, he only hit Shoaneb once and missed the mouse twice, a lucky break for me. The Covenant Defender ran over and took a swing at Ani, doing 30. I won the next init, assaulting Tarfful with Satele to finish him off, then killing the uggie with her second attack and moving back to defend Shoaneb. I used my second XT droid to give a turn to the Covenant defender, who took Ani down to 20. On his second strafing run, he took 10 back from a Shien, but did manage to kill the mouse droid. However, he again failed to hit Shoaneb, leaving her clinging to life, although he did take Satele down to 20 HP (as she did not have enough force to absorb). He also missed both shots on Jaq, leaving him with 60; however, Qui Gon moved adjacent and pushed, taking Jaq down to 20 and again moving him out of position. So now Qui is finally running low of FP, and I have little to lose, since it's the last round. I run Shoaneb back into the fray, and a series of insane rolls commences, in which I miss, reroll, hit, he fails his defense save, i crit, and he again fails his defense. On the cannon shots from the Senator, now at a +17, I hit the first, two more failed defense saves, then reroll the second to end the game, 2-0.

I wanted to test this squad with two XTs instead of the one I was running in MI, and I think I'm a fan. They're good on their own, but the combo with the senator is insanely powerful. Shawn's squad is also quite a handful, and would have been a much bigger problem for me had his CEs been working. as it was, he timed his attacks almost perfectly, particularly his strafes and his decision about when to bring Qui Gon in, and, as you can see, I had quite a few pieces on the brink of death. I should also say, in case it wasn't clear, that the dice were a major factor in this game, with both of us making and missing rolls at critical junctures.
thereisnotry
Posted: Sunday, June 19, 2016 9:26:51 AM

thereisnotry wrote:
I've got a late request to join from Kezzamachine. But Kez isn't asking us to make room for himself; he's asking on behalf of one of his students, who knows the game rules well but has never played in a Vassal tournament (though he's played in local SWM tournaments).

I know it's after the deadline and we've already got pairings and squads set, but here are the reasons I'm considering it and bringing it to the rest of you for consideration:

--We currently have a Bye, and will have one every round. Adding this player will remove that, so that everyone plays every round.

--We're not playing for big prizes or anything, and it seems like participation and fun is more important than winning it all. I know that I personally am testing an idea for GenCon, and not really expecting to win.

--And it's a bonus for this student, because he gets the thrill of his first Vassal tournament! That's Kez's main thing; he wants to encourage his student, who has a growing interest in the game. He's a relatively new player, and it seems like a great way to help grow the game in NZ. And anything that encourages new players is worth serious consideration, IMHO.

But I know it's after the deadline, so if even a single one of you thinks it's not okay for him to join at this point, then that's fine, he'll stay out. It don't think it would be fair to force someone to put up with this just because they were out-voted. So I guess I'm saying that I think every player in the tournament should have veto power. But veto power is not cool if it's voice publicly, because nobody wants to be "That Guy"...so here's my proposal: Please send me PMs or BMs or Facebook messages, or whatever, to indicate whether you want to allow him to join late or not. I give you my word that I will not disclose the names or decisions that anyone sends me in this way. We'll give it until Monday evening at the latest. Darth O said that he can't play until Tuesday evening anyway. On Monday evening (or earlier if everyone replies to this before then) I'll announce in this BM thread what the group's decision is.

If everyone in the tournament is fine with this guy joining late, then I think we should give him a chance to play (and remove the Bye at the same time), but if even one person feels it would be unfair to let him join, then he won't join. Does that sound like a fair way to go about it?

Please comment here if you have any comments to make. I'll be sending this post out via PM and Message too, just to be sure that it gets to everyone on time. Thanks for your consideration, people. :)
Okay, so I've just received responses from everyone in the tournament, and YES, he can play! It's official! Everyone was very happy to include him in the tournament. Darth O even said that he'd be more than happy to play him in this first round.

Kez, would you please either set him up with an account here on BM or else agree to serve as his contact person for the length of the tournament? Please also send me all the information that I need from him, which I describe in the first post of this thread. Thanks man!

This current round is due to end on Tuesday evening, so you guys will be on the clock, so to speak, and don't have a lot of time to waste.
Mando
Posted: Sunday, June 19, 2016 1:25:06 PM

me and Matt Spry are planning on getting our game in tuesday night around 9pm central. We tried setting up a game this weekend but complications arose and we weren't able to get it in. I assume midnight on Tuesday is the cutoff?
UrbanShmi
Posted: Sunday, June 19, 2016 1:35:15 PM

According to the first page, it was supposed to be 9 est on Tuesday. But I think a minor extension might be possible due to adding another player.
thereisnotry
Posted: Monday, June 20, 2016 8:23:07 AM

Tim and I just finished our game. I won, 250-64, but it was a lot closer than that score suggests.

We played on Cantina (my map), with Tim choosing the left. At the start of the 2nd round, Tim won init and used the Tactician to activate 3 characters. He ran his Strike Force Leader up to negate Scorch's shields, and then his Pilot and Squadron Leader (w Accurate Shot) proceeded to end Scorch's game. I killed the Strike Force Leader with Quinlan, and then lost my Uggie who had opened a door to make that happen. I towed Blizz to missile Tim's R7 droid at the end of the round, and the droid took 30. I won the next init and missiled again, to finish the R7. But then Tim made a big response by moving Shae Vizla up to send some Overloaded Missiles, which put 20 on Cin, 30 on Blizz, and killed R2. Ouch. I should point out that missiles were the King of this match; both Tim and I were below 25% on our collective missile saves throughout the course of the match. Marn put 10 dmg on Shae, bringing her to that important 60 hp threshold. At the end of that round Blizz did a missile that successfully hit both Lesser and his Tactician. Cin moved 12 to base Shae Vizla (able to kill her if I won init the next round), and Serra moved up too, where she could go after any number of Tim's pieces. However, Tim won that init and proceeded to Snare Rifle (via Lesser's CE, on the Pilot) both Cin and Serra. Ugh!! And this was after Flaming Cin twice, too. Things were looking pretty bleak for me. Our shooters were pinging back and forth, and the round ended with Cin at 40 and Serra at 70 health. If I lost this init I think the game would've been over. But I won it, and so Cin ran up to put 60dmg (w Precision) on Lesser. Shae double-Flamed Blizz (and Quinlan, who was beside him) to death, but then Serra ran 7 squares to kill the Pilot. Serra ended the round with 30hp. Tim's dice were not kind to him this round, as the majority of his attack rolls were below a 10. I won the next init too, so my 30hp Serra leaped (via Acrobatic) over to drop the Tactician and then put some damage on the Squadron Leader. Time ended at this point, so Tim tried to get a last minute kill on Serra...the Squadron Leader got her down to 10, and so Kelborn tried to shoot her from range and get 1 hit past her Soresu, but she survived with a fprr. I then killed Kelborn and the Squadron Leader with Quinlan and Cin, which was the game. Cin survived with 40hp, Serra with 10, and Quinlan with 70. I held Gambit every round after the first, while Tim only held it on the first. So I don't think the score accurately represents how close the game was. I lost the first important initiative, but then won the next one...had I lost that one too, I think it could've been different. Regardless, it was a good game. Best of luck to Tim in the rest of the tournament!

Mando
Posted: Monday, June 20, 2016 8:41:01 AM

will try and get my game in tonight
TimmerB123
Posted: Monday, June 20, 2016 10:38:52 AM

thereisnotry wrote:
Tim and I just finished our game.

I was trying out some pieces for the first time. It is a fun squad, but certainly tier 2 at best. I did end up missing literally every single save I rolled, which did not help. Trevor didn't have great saves, especially with missiles, but he did roll a lot more saves in general. Obviously the 2 missed saves for R2 was huge, and I did land a crit on Serra which went through when he failed 2 more saves.

Trevor's squad is never fun to play against, but the good news is that I had fun playing my squad outside of that. I had a number of fun tricks, and I think I got to use each of my fun tricks exactly once. As trevor mentioned, I got to do the big three acts at the top of a round, snaring both Cin and Serra. That was fun, it was exactly what I designed the squad for. I got to combine fire with my crusader once, but rolled like a 2 or something, so no damage (it would have negated any save attempts had it hit). I got to use Shae Vizlas overload missiles once, and her overload flamethrower once. I got to do a double attack with Mando the Lesser, using suppressive fire. . .

As I type this, I just realized that because of Cin Drallig being hit by suppressive fire, Serra should not have had greater mobile any more, and therefore could not have killed my pilot. Wow, that was a pretty big error on our parts. Oh well, can't go back now.

Anyhoo - back to what I was saying - I also go to use the strike leader's destabilize shields to smoke scorch with no shield saves. I did not get to use Mandalore the Lesser's mighty swing and close quarter combat, which would have been fun to do, but I lost that init.

As Trevor said, it might have been a different game had he lost that second big init, (or if we had remembered the rules about suppressive fire, lol), but alas it was not to be. I would have had to play perfect and have luck go my way, and neither really happened. I made a few placement errors where if I had placed 1 square back, etc, it would have been different. I did have some good luck, but not enough to beat a top tier squad run by a top tier player.

Congrats to Trevor, on to the next match.
spryguy1981
Posted: Monday, June 20, 2016 5:18:27 PM

Played Mando tonight on Anchorhead. It was a very good game I never realized how solid of an attacker Tor Vizsla was. He was able to get a good shot on Pre first round that I didn't see and took him down to 30 which made me play him very cagey instead of sticking him out there to fight. Maul essentially charged in and tanked Ben/Jacen/Shevu, dropping 60 on Shevu via an AoO and I finished him off with a Sab. Maul Riposted Ben down to 10 and then I was able to get Jacen dead and Callista saved him. All of my sabs eventually died but then Pre made a crucial parry vs Jacen to survive and then kill Tahiri. Tor Viszla pretty much ran through Ben and Jacen at the end.

Final Score 200-114
Spry 3
Mando 1 if we are doing 1 pt losses.
CorellianComedian
Posted: Tuesday, June 21, 2016 6:15:02 AM

spryguy1981 wrote:
It was a very good game I never realized how solid of an attacker Tor Vizsla was. He was able to get a good shot on Pre first round that I didn't see and took him down to 30 which made me play him very cagey instead of sticking him out there to fight.

Just curious, why was Tor shooting at Pre? I thought you had Death Watch vs. Death Watch, but then I see you're up against Galactic Alliance...? What am I missing?
Mando
Posted: Tuesday, June 21, 2016 7:05:12 AM

my guys got a good shot on Pre vizla early on which caused Tor to take a more active roll in dealing out damage. The "He" whom Matt was referring to was me.
Mando
Posted: Wednesday, June 22, 2016 8:42:05 AM

So do we have a next set of pairings up yet for round 2 or are we still waiting for some of the games to be in?
Caedus
Posted: Wednesday, June 22, 2016 9:13:04 AM

Mando wrote:
So do we have a next set of pairings up yet for round 2 or are we still waiting for some of the games to be in?

The last vassal tournament I was in went like this too. Technically, it hasn't ended yet. Not saying it will, but I hope this one won't end up that way as well.
UrbanShmi
Posted: Wednesday, June 22, 2016 10:15:06 AM

Caedus wrote:
Mando wrote:

The last vassal tournament I was in went like this too. Technically, it hasn't ended yet. Not saying it will, but I hope this one won't end up that way as well.

J and Lou should be playing today. They are in touch with Trevor. I assume the other pair has been in touch, as well.
urbanjedi
Posted: Wednesday, June 22, 2016 3:08:26 PM

Sorry about the delay folks. Lou and I got our game in. Some scheduling issues and miscommunication led to us being slightly delayed in getting our game in. I thought we had until wed night (since it was supposed to start on wed) but either way, we got it in.

I played my classic handmaiden squad, and Lou was running Cin/Sera/Quinlin with marn and double towtrucks.

I won map so we were on jabbas palace. Lou deferred setup so I setup first and took right side. Lou set up on left side.

Rd 1 was mostly positioning, and blowing some doors and scorch shatterbeamed.
Rd 2 was when the fun started. in rd 2, I found a line to R2 and took him out with a handmaiden, and then quinlin dodged the other shots. More positioning, and late, late in the round, Lou dumped Cin in with Foul and put 40 on Veers and took the AoO to get far enough away I couldn't base him. Then he ran Quinlin up to protect him (also more than 6 away). I swapped Veers out for a rodian to save him. Lou had moved up Marn to start getting gambit.
Rd 3 I shot at Quin (was 7 away) so couldn't base and got 60 through. Then quinlin ate the handmaiden (I couldn't save her because there was another one right behind her he could have eaten instead. I then Locked the door to keep Cin out, and finished off Quinlin. I think it was this round that I also got to take out Foul (he missed his defense save) as I missed one of the shots. More positioning.
Rd 4 Lou can finally blow the Door with his uggie and lays the smackdown on Jabba (who has moved up to be the shield) and I lose my cunning. I leave scorch alive (2 missed shots and some shield saves). Lou takes out the R7 blocking shots with Marn and his PBT (he brought in with Marn). I use the last handmaiden to take out Marn and The PBG.
Rd 5 I play keep away for awhile, he kills my rodians and I dump in and Kill Serra with a handmaiden and Atris (take 30 back in the riposte.
Rd 6 I Fire away at Cin, he dodges them all (or I miss) and then he comes in and eats the handmaiden and moves away. I run up, swap and end adjacent which lets me take out Cin (Roll a crit to make up for the miss as he had taken 20 from the first AoO from Veers)

I won full victory 200-83
thereisnotry
Posted: Wednesday, June 22, 2016 10:32:27 PM

Updated to here.

We're still waiting on the NZ guys to get their stuff going. I've been in FB contact with them.
TimmerB123
Posted: Thursday, June 23, 2016 4:42:21 AM

Have we heard from the last 2?
Darth O
Posted: Thursday, June 23, 2016 2:56:26 PM

He's busy until 8:30 and I'm busy until midnight. Earliest we can do is probably Sunday afternoon NZT.