RegisterDonateLogin

Bloo Milk? Bloo Milk! I like the sound of that.

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Members

Vassal Regional 2016 SIGN-UP and REPORTING thread Options
FlyingArrow
Posted: Saturday, July 9, 2016 8:42:45 AM
Groups: Member , Moderator

TimmerB123 wrote:

thereisnotry wrote:
All SWMGPA Floor Rules will be in effect

This directly contradicts that.

That particular quote is from the "Squad Format" part of the main post, so I don't think it applies here. But the following does:

Quote:
Format: Standard Regional format: Swiss rounds until we have 1 undefeated player, then cutting to a Top 4 for playoff rounds (1st vs 4th and 2nd vs 3rd, then the winners play each other in the Finals).

"Standard Regional format" and "until we have 1 undefeated player" seems to be in conflict. As an uninvolved observer, I'd read it to say that the tournament follows the floor rules, with the "until we have 1 undefeated player" being shorthand for how the floor rules generally work.

Trevor had asked for an alternate judge if he is in a game. While this isn't inside a game, if that person isn't involved in the tie, they're probably the best person to resolve the question. Other than that, the floor rules author (Brad) is probably the person to do it.

Good luck everyone!
thereisnotry
Posted: Saturday, July 9, 2016 12:46:16 PM
Groups: Member

Wow, I'm sorry that I created such a big furball with this! Confused

Honestly, this is always how I thought these things worked, that you played until you had a single undefeated player. I seem to recall people on these forums complaining that when you play past that point you start to get odd situations with strange tie-breaker situations coming up.

If you guys really want to do a 4th round then that's fine by me. It won't be too difficult to set up pairings for a 4th round. I really don't think it's something to get worked up about, but if you guys want to then that's fine. Therefore, here is what we'll do: If you do want to play a 4th round of Swiss, please make a brief post saying so in this thread. If 4 or more people do so by tomorrow evening, then I'll set up pairings for a 4th round. And that round will effectively start as usual at the moment I post the new pairings.
TimmerB123
Posted: Saturday, July 9, 2016 12:50:04 PM

I certainly don't want to make a stink over it (and I'm sorry if it came across that way).

I was certainly caught off guard by (what seemed to me to be) the tournament being cut short. I read what Trevor wrote differently then it was apparently meant (as did others).

Bottom line is Tevor is TO. And the TO has the final say. He stepped up when nobody else was to run this thing, and has done an outstanding job. There was NEVER any intent on my end to say otherwise.

Just a future learning point for all TOs - if you intend on running things different than regionals are typically run, it's certainly your right. just make it clear and emphasize that point to all.
TimmerB123
Posted: Saturday, July 9, 2016 12:51:57 PM

thereisnotry wrote:
Wow, I'm sorry that I created such a big furball with this! Confused

Honestly, this is always how I thought these things worked, that you played until you had a single undefeated player. I seem to recall people on these forums complaining that when you play past that point you start to get odd situations with strange tie-breaker situations coming up.

If you guys really want to do a 4th round then that's fine by me. It won't be too difficult to set up pairings for a 4th round. I really don't think it's something to get worked up about, but if you guys want to then that's fine. Therefore, here is what we'll do: If you do want to play a 4th round of Swiss, please make a brief post saying so in this thread. If 4 or more people do so by tomorrow evening, then I'll set up pairings for a 4th round. And that round will effectively start as usual at the moment I post the new pairings.

I'm always up for more games.
UrbanShmi
Posted: Saturday, July 9, 2016 1:58:05 PM

I would like to play a fourth round.
urbanjedi
Posted: Saturday, July 9, 2016 2:19:57 PM

I assumed we were playing four rounds, so would like to do so.
Caedus
Posted: Saturday, July 9, 2016 3:10:33 PM

+1 for more games. I think I make 4.ThumpUp
thereisnotry
Posted: Saturday, July 9, 2016 4:18:21 PM

Once again, I thought that the normal way of doing these events was going until we had one undefeated player. I now understand that it doesn't work that way. I never intended to veer from the established Regionals format, and so I apologize for ruffling your feathers.

Round 4 pairings are up (see the post on page 1).

Please contact your opponent and schedule your games. Please note that this round is Saturday-Saturday, rather than Friday-Friday as it has been for the past 2 rounds.
Caedus
Posted: Saturday, July 9, 2016 4:34:02 PM

No problems here. I think you are doing a great job!
TimmerB123
Posted: Sunday, July 10, 2016 6:07:37 AM

Hone, love to set up our game. How do I get in touch with you?
spryguy1981
Posted: Sunday, July 10, 2016 7:50:16 AM

Contact Kez maybe, he could probably help you get in touch.
TimmerB123
Posted: Monday, July 11, 2016 10:40:02 AM

Fun facts about squads in this tournament:

Average number of activations (base): 10

Number of characters with reinforcements: 0 (past biggest offender being Lobot)

Number of characters with reserves: 0 (past biggest offenders being Ozzel, San Hill, Mon Mothma)

Number of characters with bribery: 1 (in 2 nearly identical squada. (Marn being our game's main offender)

Number of characters with activation control (who allow a player to activate only one character): 0 (past biggest offenders: Dodonna, Ozzel, San Hill)

Average number of maximum activations: 10.6 (including maximum number of characters added to a squad through any typical means, in this case only Marn)

We've gone from one extreme to the other. The balance committee (along with design of the last several sets) have done their job.
urbanjedi
Posted: Monday, July 11, 2016 10:16:23 PM

Played my game against Trevor

I won 205-113

Trevor brought rodian, ugo, peace brigdae thug, and I won Map chose Jabba's palace. He took Soresu with all his Jedi. Trevor set up on the right. I set up on the left putting pressure on lots of different angles. Rd 1 was some early positioning, then I swapped in a handmaiden in one round, then opened the door and went blasting in, taking out R2 and the Peace Brigade thug. He missiled with Blizz and did 30 to her then ran Blizz out of sight. Then we finished moving our guys with no other action. Trevor got Gambit

Rd 2
I won init and went for it, and missed an attack, doing 90 to Serra Keto. He finished off the handmaiden then hid Serra away. He used Marn to put 20 on the R7. I then moved #2 up and killed marn. Was hoping to hit marn and the diplomat but missed a shot on Marn. Then I locked the door with the R7 to make him have to go around. He used his uggie to blow said door. Then I made a missiles save from Blizz, then failed the evade when scorch hit and took 10 from a quinlin grip so #2 was down to 10 left. I swapped #2 and #3 and took care of Blizz. End of round and Trevor got gambit again.

Rd 3
#3 got 30 damage in on scorch, then ran out of sight. some more positioning. He kills off R7 and ugo, and I kill of his ugo. Then after activating Atris battle meditation, I swapped in and ran adjacent to Cin with #2 and took him out (with Atris I would have missed 2 of the shots). Trevor again got gambit

Rd 4
I did 90 to Quin with #2 before she died. Then we played a little more positioning before I ran by Quin giving up an AoO with Atris and swapped in #3. I ran adjacent to Serra (who was in gambit) and finished off scorch with her double. Trevor did not get gambit

Rd 5
I rolled the dreaded 1 for init which allowed trevor to kill #3 and get over 100. After that, I finished off Quinlin and just ran thrawn to gambit as the game was now over. Trevor had just his rodian Diplomat remaining.

spryguy1981
Posted: Tuesday, July 12, 2016 5:13:15 PM

Now honestly its my turn to raise a bit of a fuss. Because we went an extra round it could cost me my spot in the playoffs due to being paired into a horrible matchup for me, and I personally feel that this event should cut to a top 8 to make parties that were slighted by the extra round happy. I'm not much of one to put up a fuss, but I feel like because I was at work and didn't get a vote, I'm the one left holding the bag. Just my take.
Darth O
Posted: Tuesday, July 12, 2016 6:11:37 PM

Darth O vs Spryguy on Anchorhead
Darth O wins 202-54

Spry won map roll and picked his map. I set up on the left to protect my commanders. He ran his guys up the top right, while I moved most of my attackers into the middle to the top left of the main door leading to gambit. After Spry had finished his first round, I moved Yoda 38 squares with a tow and master speed and swapped in Momaw to do 20 to most of Spry's guys including Maul, Tor, Pre and Kelborn.

Round 2 I won init so war throated again to bring Pre down to 50 and kill 2 sabs after he resol'd most of his guys back to minimise the damage. He then killed Momaw with a sab after a self destruct. Spry continued to move his guys through the top of the map. When he had finished with everyone I ran Yoda up to the top door of the gambit room. I then towed in Blizz to bring Tor down to 40 with flamethrower. Then I swapped in the flametrooper and did the same. Tor failed the avoid defeat.

Round 3 I won init and made Spry go first. He asaulted Yoda with Maul but only did 40 because of one miss and a lightsaber block. I then flamed him with the flametrooper and finished him off with Evazan. Yoda also took 40 from the flames. Spry tried to kill Evazan with a sab and Kelborn but rolled a 1 with Kelborn to leave him on 10 HP. This let me swap in Blizz for Evazan. Blizz took 10 from an AoO and then flamed Kelborn, bringing him down to 30 HP. Pre based Yoda and took him down to 40 HP. A sab took a shot at Blizz and rolled a 1. The reroll missed, so it died. Yoda moved 7 and finshed off Kelborn's last HP after rerolling a 1 (and rolling another 1 on the mouse). I ended the round by locking the door to protect gambit.

Round 4 Spry won init and let me go first. Yoda killed the mouse and ran far away from sight. He failed his 2nd burning save to bring him down to 20 HP, but Spry's guys couldn't reach him. Pre instead killed Blizz. Panaka then missed a shot on Pre and swapped in Evazan, who killed Pre with surgery. One of the two remaining sabs killed R2 and I ran the flametrooper into gambit to end the game at 202-54.
TimmerB123
Posted: Wednesday, July 13, 2016 11:54:56 AM

Played my game with Hone on Monday.

I won 220-158

Played on Cantina

I'll start by saying this was a very close game, which in all actuality he should have won, if dice roles were not so extremely dramatically in my favor.

I have never in my life experienced such lop-sided die rolls. (At least being on this side of it, lol). He's a really great guy. Such a good attitude. There were about four initiatives where if he had won he could've really hurt me, but I couldn't lose initiative to save my life. I rarely if ever missed attack, including with my little weenie crusader. I rolled the crit with the Crusader to kill Quinlan Vos!

Early in the game he sent quinlan off around the side and bunched the other 4 of his Jedi up with the shield bearer, so I double missiled the group with Shae. His jedi failed every single save including all the re-rolls. Then next round I moved further in with Shae to double flame his whole group. Dead shield bearer (My Strikeforce leader was nerfing the shields anyway), and most of his jedi I've now had 80 hp off. It's still ended up being a close game no thanks to his dice. He fought back hard, and in the end it ended up fairly close. Shae had done her part (and then some), but it left me in bad position. He killed my Pilot (integral to my squad), and Shae. I killed his R2, Then he killed my strike force leader. Then Quinlan comes in cloaked and untouched. By the time I took out Aayla, Ferus, Serra, and Cin, he had taken out mandalore the lesser and Kelborn was nearly dead. I throw everything I have left at Quinlan ( and virtually everything hits), and as I already spoiled, my Crusader hits the deathblow with a crit on Quinlan. My Kelborn was adjacent to Quinlan and failed his save from the splash to also die. All I had left was my damaged squadron leader and the tactician (Plus a mouse and an R7). He finished with 158pts.

Regardless of horrible HORRIBLE dice for him, he seemed pretty enthusiastic about our game. Yet another example of what great guys these Kiwi players are. I Love seeing new players so excited about minis!
UrbanShmi
Posted: Wednesday, July 13, 2016 6:33:46 PM

Just finished my game with Lou. We had some major technical difficulties so things got cut short. When we called it, I as on top, 122-77.

I won map roll, so we played on Cantina. The first round was positioning, and we both got gambit. Top of the second round, I won init and popped ABM. He had locked one door with R2 and shatterbeamed the other with Scorch, so when it was my turn again, I ran Satele into the bar area, hoping to put some serious damage on an unactivated Quinlan. However, the rolls were not with me, and even with a Senator shot from a sacrificial XT droid, I only managed to stick 40. Foul floated Quin to my jedis in the back and put damage on Jaq, who responded by killing him and running around the corner to try to get some lines into the bar area in a subsequent round. Shoaneb went to work on Foul, who made a defense save and lived through the first onslaught. Now it was time for Satele to get brutalized by Cin and Serra. Between the two of them, they got her down to 30 while almost draining her of FPs. So now two of my three attackers are almost dead and I'm feeling like I'm in a pretty bad situation. I win the next init, but rather than popping Bastilla again, I decide to go with Satele, since she's about to die. My intent had been to attack and then leap away, but I realized halfway through my attacks that I would have had to declare assault first in order to do that, which of course I didn't so I was stuck there. I thought Satele was dead for sure, but Lou made an awesome move, towing Serra into my hallway to attack Jaq. Remember, ABM was still off, so she had her GMA. Both attacks hit, but I managed to make all four avoid defeat saves to stay alive with 10 HP. This was the major shift in the game, since it allowed me to kill Serra with Jaq (after finally turning ABM on) and then move him closer to the action. Cin finished off Satele, and next round Shoaneb came up to join the party. Shoaneb missed her first two attacks, but the Senator moved adjacent, giving her two more chances. The first hit for 40 and Cin failed the Makashi. Scorch moved up and proximity mined Shoaneb. The Defender managed to get 30 to stick to Scorch past the shieled. At the end of the round, his peace brigade thug killed an uggie, and my Klat Captain ran over the shoot from adjacent, taking 10 splash in the process. At the start of the next round, I activated Shoaneb again, forgetting about the proximity mines. The senator was killed, and Shoaneb, the Defender, and Cin all took damage. Shoaneb critted on the first attack of the twin, with made it through, taking Cin down to 20. The second attack was a miss. Cin used Brutal Strike on Shoaneb, taking her down to 30. At this point, Lou's connection got lost again (for at least the fourth time), and we decided to call it, because Jaq had not activated yet and would have been able to get to Cin and finish him off. At that point, it would have been half-dead scorch and mostly healthy Marn against Shoaneb with 30, the Defender with 60, Jaq with 10, the Klat Captain, and Bastilla, who would have started moving up at the end of the round. I'm not sure how many more rounds we would have gotten in--I would have been at 170 after killing Cin, 180 with another round of gambit. But I'm not sure how much time we had left, due to all the technical difficulties, so I'm taking the two-point win.
Mando
Posted: Wednesday, July 13, 2016 7:33:00 PM

finished my game with Caedus this evening. Final score was 230-90 with my team getting the 3pts.

game was played on Jabba's palace.

Well played game by Shawn. I couldn't seem to roll any attack rolls well for about 2/3 of the game, but i used my tactics to give me plenty of chances. I force pulled Anistap and negated his Lightsaber defense so that Jacen could GMA in and kill him off. I lost my Galactic Alliance Officer and Tahiri by the end but overall the fact that Ben Skywalker's ability set worked so well vs his team lead to the victory. I had a good force pull against Anistap (prevented the strafe) and a good pull against Qui Gon (pulled him adjacent to Vergere who then severed Qui Gon from the force.....and from his pool of 10 FP's). Distraction was a huge benefit as it made taking out Yobuck and Ani easier and once Qui Gon got severed from the force, Qui Gon went down quick. Shawn put together a really good squad and it was quite tanky. He didn't take into account tho that Ben had Distraction and that Vergere could sever the force and those were two huge advantages for my team in the end. My horrible rolls were offset by Jacen rolling 3 crits in the end so it all worked out. Good game! ThumpUp
HoneHeron
Posted: Thursday, July 14, 2016 1:33:03 AM

TimmerB123 wrote:
Played my game with Hone on Monday.

I won 220-158

Played on Cantina

I'll start by saying this was a very close game, which in all actuality he should have won, if dice roles were not so extremely dramatically in my favor.

I have never in my life experienced such lop-sided die rolls. (At least being on this side of it, lol). He's a really great guy. Such a good attitude. There were about four initiatives where if he had won he could've really hurt me, but I couldn't lose initiative to save my life. I rarely if ever missed attack, including with my little weenie crusader. I rolled the crit with the Crusader to kill Quinlan Vos!

Early in the game he sent quinlan off around the side and bunched the other 4 of his Jedi up with the shield bearer, so I double missiled the group with Shae. His jedi failed every single save including all the re-rolls. Then next round I moved further in with Shae to double flame his whole group. Dead shield bearer (My Strikeforce leader was nerfing the shields anyway), and most of his jedi I've now had 80 hp off. It's still ended up being a close game no thanks to his dice. He fought back hard, and in the end it ended up fairly close. Shae had done her part (and then some), but it left me in bad position. He killed my Pilot (integral to my squad), and Shae. I killed his R2, Then he killed my strike force leader. Then Quinlan comes in cloaked and untouched. By the time I took out Aayla, Ferus, Serra, and Cin, he had taken out mandalore the lesser and Kelborn was nearly dead. I throw everything I have left at Quinlan ( and virtually everything hits), and as I already spoiled, my Crusader hits the deathblow with a crit on Quinlan. My Kelborn was adjacent to Quinlan and failed his save from the splash to also die. All I had left was my damaged squadron leader and the tactician (Plus a mouse and an R7). He finished with 158pts.

Regardless of horrible HORRIBLE dice for him, he seemed pretty enthusiastic about our game. Yet another example of what great guys these Kiwi players are. I Love seeing new players so excited about minis!

This game was absolutely fantastic! As Tim already said the dice were definitely not in my favour but it was such good experience. Although it was a loss for me, it was a blasted fun one. Thanks Tim for all the advice and help with vassal, the nice comments, and I look forward to hopeful future tournaments where the dice may be in my favour!
TimmerB123
Posted: Thursday, July 14, 2016 6:02:00 AM

Btw - sorry for anyone playing Hone in the future. Just reading the play reports, he's clearly rapidly getting better. We briefly chatted tactics a few points during the game. A couple of times I said, "have you thought about doing this? Sometimes he said, "Oh yeah, that's true", and other times he said, "I thought about that but this is why I'm doing this" (and his reasoning was sound.) After the game I asked if he wanted to discuss strategy and he eagerly said "Yes!" I gave a couple pointers from an old-timer and he ate it up. It was clearly not a case of simply listening, but digesting new tactics that WILL be employed next time he plays.

Best of luck to you Hone. Tear 'em up!